The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tom Heckert joins Broncos Staff (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110929)

SouthStndJunkie 05-06-2013 07:50 PM

Tom Heckert joins Broncos Staff
 
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer

Ex-Browns GM Tom Heckert has joined the Broncos staff, per source

SpringStein 05-06-2013 07:52 PM

Keith Kidd's replacement?

SouthStndJunkie 05-06-2013 07:54 PM

Excellent....I like Tom Heckert.

I thought he was building the Browns up in the right direction when they let him go after the season.

He did a nice job with Philly before he went to Cleveland.

Probably hired to replace former Director of Pro Personnel Keith Kidd, who was let go last week and was a holdover from the Josh McDaniels cluster****.

Lestat 05-06-2013 07:54 PM

nice, i love it.

SouthStndJunkie 05-06-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpringStein (Post 3843896)
Keith Kidd's replacement?

Beat me to it....exactly what I was thinking.

Requiem 05-06-2013 07:55 PM

Who?

DBroncos4life 05-06-2013 07:56 PM

Good, he was solid with the Eagles. Andy Reid wanted him back in January as well. Sting his ass a little.

SpringStein 05-06-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie (Post 3843900)
Beat me to it....exactly what I was thinking.

My post was short. Yours took more thought and time. ;)

DBroncos4life 05-06-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie (Post 3843898)
Excellent....I like Tom Heckert.

I thought he was building the Browns up in the right direction when they let him go after the season.

He did a nice job with Philly before he went to Cleveland.

Probably hired to replace former Director of Pro Personnel Keith Kidd, who was let go last week and was a holdover from the Josh McDaniels cluster****.

Yep,

On January 11, 2010, Heckert became the General Manager of the Cleveland Browns.[1]

On Monday December 31, 2012, Heckert, along with head coach Pat Shurmur was relieved of his duties as Browns GM by the Browns owner Jimmy Haslam III.[2] Despite posting by the Browns of a paltry record of 14-34 during his reign as Browns' GM, Heckert, along with former team president Mike Holmgren, are credited by many NFL observers as paving the way for the team, which has the youngest team in the league, for quick improvement in the near future by overseeing solid drafts in the past three years in which they selected high draft prospects and potential All-Pro players such as defensive backs Joe Haden and T.J. Ward, wide receivers Greg Little, Travis Benjamin and Josh Gordon, defensive lineman Phil Taylor, running back Trent Richardson, and 2012 starting quarterback Brandon Weeden.

Lestat 05-06-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3843901)
Who?

come on man. we all know you know who Tom Heckert is Ha!

baja 05-06-2013 08:36 PM

I wonder why Kidd was let go so soon after the draft. Did he mis handle something during the draft?

Hercules Rockefeller 05-06-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3843929)
I wonder why Kidd was let go so soon after the draft. Did he mis handle something during the draft?

Those guys work towards the draft, when it is over, that's when guys aren't retained, joined other teams, etc.

baja 05-06-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller (Post 3843930)
Those guys work towards the draft, when it is over, that's when guys aren't retained, joined other teams, etc.

Yes but I wonder if he had some particular failing that caused his dismissal? We will never know I suppose.

Lestat 05-06-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3843931)
Yes but I wonder if he had some particular failing that caused his dismissal? We will never know I suppose.

probably just Elway wanting someone else. Heckert joined us very quickly.

R8R H8R 05-06-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3843929)
I wonder why Kidd was let go so soon after the draft. Did he mis handle something during the draft?

As Director of Pro Personnel, he may have just a supporting role concerning the draft. OTOH, he has a huge role during FA, and one can't help but wonder his role in faxgate, if any.

However, Kidd's contract was coming due, and maybe this is just a situation where Elway saw an opportunity to upgrade the department, assuming Heckert fills Kidd's same role. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if this has been in the works for some time.

baja 05-06-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8R H8R (Post 3843937)
As Director of Pro Personnel, he may have just a supporting role concerning the draft. OTOH, he has a huge role during FA, and one can't help but wonder his role in faxgate, if any.

However, Kidd's contract was coming due, and maybe this is just a situation where Elway saw an opportunity to upgrade the department, assuming Heckert fills Kidd's same role. If so, I wouldn't be surprised if this has been in the works for some time.

That's probably the likely scenario although fax gate is on someone on both sides.

SouthStndJunkie 05-06-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3843929)
I wonder why Kidd was let go so soon after the draft. Did he mis handle something during the draft?

Elway probably let him keep his title and had him cleaning out the ****ters until his contract was up.

SouthStndJunkie 05-06-2013 09:09 PM

According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, Heckert will be assuming the role of director of pro personnel vacated by the departure of Keith Kidd.

Kidd did not have his contract renewed by the Broncos following the completion of the NFL Draft.

baja 05-06-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie (Post 3843942)
Elway probably let him keep his title and had him cleaning out the ****ters until his contract was up.

His constant nagging about picking Patrick Peterson might have been his undoing.

Lestat 05-06-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie (Post 3843943)
According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, Heckert will be assuming the role of director of pro personnel vacated by the departure of Keith Kidd.

Kidd did not have his contract renewed by the Broncos following the completion of the NFL Draft.

Elway is laying the pimp hand down in the FO over the past two seasons.
he has upgraded that area by a wide margin.

errand 05-06-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3843946)
His constant nagging about picking Patrick Peterson might have been his undoing.

I didn't know the Rev worked for the Broncos.......

yerner 05-06-2013 09:43 PM

cool. dude is legit.

pricejj 05-06-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3843929)
I wonder why Kidd was let go so soon after the draft. Did he mis handle something during the draft?

Dumervil.

baja 05-06-2013 10:46 PM

Broncos to fill director of pro personnel job with former Browns GM
POSTED: 05/06/2013 09:33:06 PM MDT
UPDATED: 05/06/2013 10:41:06 PM MDTBy Mike Klis
The Denver Post

John Elway executive vice president of football operations for the Denver Broncos talks about the teams needs and preparation for the NFL draft at Dove Valley in Centennial April 22, 2013 Denver, Colo. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)
The Broncos are going big with their pro personnel department.

The team is expected to announce this week the hiring of Tom Heckert as the replacement to Keith Kidd as director of pro personnel.

Heckert reached the level of general manager with the Philadelphia Eagles from 2006-09 and the Cleveland Browns from 2010-12.

The Eagles were 38-25-1 in the four seasons Heckert oversaw the front office. One of Heckert's top scouts was Matt Russell, who is now the Broncos' director of player personnel.

The Browns were a mess before Heckert arrived and they remain that way. They were 14-34 in Heckert's three years in Cleveland although president Mike Holmgren had final-say authority.

Heckert has 22 years of NFL front office experience. His first 10 seasons were with the Miami Dolphins. He then became the Eagles' director of pro personnel in 2001, which coincided with the Philadelphia reaching the NFC conference championship the next four consecutive seasons.



Read more: Broncos to fill director of pro personnel job with former Browns GM - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2SZxaEGS8
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

ShutDownPoster 05-07-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricejj (Post 3843968)
Dumervil.

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vu.../a_560x375.jpg


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.