The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   UDFA Sleeper RB C.J. Anderson might be a diamond in the rough (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110896)

footstepsfrom#27 05-01-2013 10:53 PM

UDFA Sleeper RB C.J. Anderson might be a diamond in the rough
 
http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-foo...rson_cj00.html

Chedk the YouTube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhF120vxzDU

I'm intrigued with what I've read about this RB from Cal that Denver signed as a UDFA. For starters, his physical measurables are interesting enough to warrant a long look in camp if he shows anything. This is a 5'8" 228 pound bowling ball who clocked a pedestrian 4.6 at the combine but later ran 4.49 and 4.52 for scouts at Cal's pro day. He also notched the 3rd fastest short shuttle time at the combine (4.41) and put up 17 bench reps...but enough of that, his situation and the improvement trajectory are what interests me, as well as the You Tube video of him running with moves and power and a low center of gravity that makes him look like a poor man's MJD bouncing off tacklers.

This guy was a star high school option QB in California who didn't switch to RB till his senior year when he went for 1624 on the ground and 23 scores. He was California's 2nd leading prep rusher with over 4,000 yards in HS but probably got overlooked since he only played 1 year at RB and so he wound up going the JUCO route and went to Laney College, where he went for 6.1 and 7.5 ypc in two seasons respectively and piled up 1644 yards rushing his sophmore year, nearly a 1000 yards more than his first season. At Cal he split time with another RB so didn't carry the ball much but the ypc numbers are impressive, a 5.73 ypc overall and 6.2 ypc his senior season. For a power back running between the tackles those are eye popping numbers. It looks like he caught a few balls too and scored on some long runs.

Looking at his numbers, for a guy who only started playing RB his senior year in HS, he jumped dramatically both at Laney College and at Cal in his second season. With McGahee getting long in the tooth and both he and Moreno's health in question I hope this kid gets a good long look. He looks like he's got the kind of power to move the pile and enough swerve to make people miss as well.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 05-01-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footstepsfrom#27 (Post 3842063)
http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-foo...rson_cj00.html

Chedk the YouTube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhF120vxzDU

I'm intrigued with what I've read about this RB from Cal that Denver signed as a UDFA. For starters, his physical measurables are interesting enough to warrant a long look in camp if he shows anything. This is a 5'8" 228 pound bowling ball who clocked a pedestrian 4.6 at the combine but later ran 4.49 and 4.52 for scouts at Cal's pro day. He also notched the 3rd fastest short shuttle time at the combine (4.41) and put up 17 bench reps...but enough of that, his situation and the improvement trajectory are what interests me, as well as the You Tube video of him running with moves and power and a low center of gravity that makes him look like a poor man's MJD bouncing off tacklers.

This guy was a star high school option QB in California who didn't switch to RB till his senior year when he went for 1624 on the ground and 23 scores. He was California's 2nd leading prep rusher with over 4,000 yards in HS but probably got overlooked since he only played 1 year at RB and so he wound up going the JUCO route and went to Laney College, where he went for 6.1 and 7.5 ypc in two seasons respectively and piled up 1644 yards rushing his sophmore year, nearly a 1000 yards more than his first season. At Cal he split time with another RB so didn't carry the ball much but the ypc numbers are impressive, a 5.73 ypc overall and 6.2 ypc his senior season. For a power back running between the tackles those are eye popping numbers. It looks like he caught a few balls too and scored on some long runs.

Looking at his numbers, for a guy who only started playing RB his senior year in HS, he jumped dramatically both at Laney College and at Cal in his second season. With McGahee getting long in the tooth and both he and Moreno's health in question I hope this kid gets a good long look. He looks like he's got the kind of power to move the pile and enough swerve to make people miss as well.

O.O

05-01-2013 11:34 PM

Idk man. Watching him is like watching lance ball. Stocky little guy without very much explosiveness or elusiveness. I would have preferred ray graham out of the crop of rb udfa's

Hulamau 05-02-2013 12:21 AM

First order of business, he MUST learn not to swing that Football around like a purse dangling off his forearm. His looks like a strip fumble waiting to happen in the NFL on a llot of those runs. That however is coachable but he's gotta get that right asap if he plans on hanging around beyond mid August.

Vegas_Bronco 05-02-2013 12:24 AM

Dude runs just like Quentin Griffin...he has a shot but carries too high through the line. This guy is going to get his bell rung running that high. I like the consistent performance but getting caught from behind will be just frustrating on film.

extralife 05-02-2013 02:39 AM

ahhh, the annual Mike Bell award to the UDFA RB who people expect to be an all pro.

Dedhed 05-02-2013 06:49 AM

I don't see much from Anderson that makes me think he's anything more than camp fodder. Doesn't have much burst or have great vision to make up for a lack of athleticism. Maybe if he adds 15 pounds he can be our token FB, but I don't think his ceiling is very high at the RB position.

cmhargrove 05-02-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vegas_Bronco (Post 3842086)
Dude runs just like Quentin Griffin...he has a shot but carries too high through the line. This guy is going to get his bell rung running that high. I like the consistent performance but getting caught from behind will be just frustrating on film.

Q was a scat back, this guy is a pinball.

BossBruce 05-02-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlyEli (Post 3842072)
Idk man. Watching him is like watching lance ball. Stocky little guy without very much explosiveness or elusiveness. I would have preferred ray graham out of the crop of rb udfa's

This.

Paladin 05-02-2013 08:38 AM

Short people are always overlooked......

oubronco 05-02-2013 08:40 AM

Dude looks slow as hell running straight up

BossBruce 05-02-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlyEli (Post 3842072)
Idk man. Watching him is like watching lance ball. Stocky little guy without very much explosiveness or elusiveness. I would have preferred ray graham out of the crop of rb udfa's

This.

baja 05-02-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 3842121)
Short people are always overlooked......

LOL I see what you did there.

Lestat 05-02-2013 11:57 AM

he's a one cut and go back so that fits the mold they seem to want in their RB's.
i just don't like the things he does on film. carrying the ball like a it's a no big deal, he cuts well but doesn't explode through the line, he doesn't seems to be able to make guys miss on a consistent basis and seems overly stiff even though his combine and pro day results show him to be better than that.

p7superfly 05-02-2013 12:03 PM

The guy won't get caught from behind ... he's our 3rd and 1, or goal line back, running behind Vasquez with a blocking FB.

R8R H8R 05-02-2013 12:15 PM

He'll get his chance to prove himself in TC. If he does, he'll be a PS candidate, if not, he will be gone. It's up to him, and that simple.

DBroncos4life 05-02-2013 12:32 PM

I hope pick up one of the Skins RB cast offs.

Denver724 05-02-2013 01:41 PM

I think he has great vision.

Denver Bronco56 05-02-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extralife (Post 3842094)
ahhh, the annual Mike Bell award to the UDFA RB who people expect to be an all pro.

I vote to rename the award, to the Selvin Young Award. (The offseason where he, along with alot of people online thought could crack 2000 yards)

SouthStndJunkie 05-02-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p7superfly (Post 3842183)
The guy won't get caught from behind ... he's our 3rd and 1, or goal line back, running behind Vasquez with a blocking FB.

Denver just drafted the NCAA Division I FBS record holder for most career touchdowns in Montee Ball....I wouldn't look for C.J. Anderson to be the goal line ball carrier, if he ends up making the team.

2KBack 05-02-2013 02:48 PM

I'm not seeing it....I mean maybe a 3rd string/special teams guy

sisterhellfyre 05-02-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extralife (Post 3842094)
ahhh, the annual Mike Bell award to the UDFA RB who people expect to be an all pro.

Mike Bell didn't do too poorly for himself. Played 5 years in the league, and won a Super Bowl ring during his time as a Saint. Not an All-Pro, but I'm not going to sneer at walking away with a ring.

05-02-2013 05:46 PM

I don't see anything special with this guy, and that's saying something considering the video is highlights only. He might be better than Lance Ball, but that isn't really saying anything.

05-02-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p7superfly (Post 3842183)
The guy won't get caught from behind ... he's our 3rd and 1, or goal line back, running behind Vasquez with a blocking FB.

Did you miss the draft or something? Hilarious!

errand 05-02-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extralife (Post 3842094)
ahhh, the annual Mike Bell award to the UDFA RB who people expect to be an all pro.

No ****.....just like we still have clowns on here slobbering all over Jeremiah Johnson's nuts despite the fact he can't even get off the practice squad.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.