The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Concussions (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110894)

rugbythug 05-01-2013 08:57 PM

Concussions

The football landscape is changing and IMO it is for the better. Concussions are a serious issue and should be handled with care. But just as important players need to find ways to cope with no longer being "special". Becoming ordinary would be a big shock, most of us have to find out in our teens and early twenties, I can't imagine how much harder it would be later in life after achieving a much higher standard of importance.

05-02-2013 06:53 AM

the first two sentences make sense, but then I don't really know where you're going from there

I had my first concussion ever when I was hit by a car in December, knocked unconscious, and sent to the emergency room with a fractured skull and bleeding on the brain. I have no memory whatsoever from the incident. besides surviving like a boss, I guess my main point is that I had no idea what the recovery process from a concussion entails. its pretty difficult to judge how well you are recovering from an injury you can't really see. the pain went away rather quickly, but my head was a bit loopy dealing with post concussion symptoms for a solid two months after the accident. sensitivity to light and sounds, quick to irritability, and to be quite frank - your brain just doesn't work how it normally does. its really weird.

anyway, hats off tto any player suffering from and recovering from any similar injuries. granted, the wears pads and helmet, bit I'd say getting hit by a full size pickup truck is an apt comparison for some players haha. I can def see why the league is taking it seriously

05-02-2013 08:40 AM

I had pretty severe concussion problems throughout high school and college football. Eventually forcing me to leave the program last year. I've even stayed in hospitals from a couple of them and undergone about every test they could bill the college. I had 7 documented in about 4 years

The only effect my family has noticed in day to day activities is my newer inability to remember small things like running errands and conversations from earlier in the day. But as for more important things I seem to have a pretty good grasp on everything.

BroncoMan4ever 05-02-2013 08:47 AM

i have had 3 concussions in my life. 1st was a line drive that caught me on the jaw. broke my jaw and then the way my head spun and then hit the ground gave me the concussion. knocked out cold when i hit the ground. i had trouble focusing in school for like 10 days, developed migraines, sensitivity to light and noise, got confused rather easily for a few days and had moments where i became extremely dizzy.

second concussion happened around christmas time in 2011. my gf and i were helping her parents decorate their house and pulling boxes of lights and decorations out of the garage when her dad dropped the staple gun he was using and it fell off a 2 story house and caught me right on the side of the head. unconscious before i hit the ground. still think that ****er did it on purpose. similar symptoms as the first, just lasted a little longer, just started not being able to hold down food as well. so i puked a lot.

most recent concussion was in a car accident this past August. lady fell asleep and hit me head on going 50. my head somehow smashed into the driver's side window. got some pretty gnarly gashes on the left side of my head and face. broke 4 ribs, separated my left shoulder, broke my clavicle and shoulder blade, my wrist was broken so badly that i could practically wave at myself without turning my hand, my ankle was broken in 2 places and dislocated, and everything torn in it. but the concussion symptoms were bad. memory loss, confusion, moments where i would black out, forgetting where i was, irritability, dizziness, trouble remembering names and faces, nausea, head splitting migraines. took about 2 and a half months for all the symptoms to go away. and even now closing in on a year since the accident, i am still getting the migraines and still sometimes forget things quickly or get confused by simple things