The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   So, there's this Kuper thing we still need to sort out. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110886)

ZONA 04-30-2013 05:45 PM

So, there's this Kuper thing we still need to sort out.

I'm not exactly sure what they Broncos have planned when it comes to RG Chris Kuper. They certainly have protected themselves by adding RG Vasquez, who projects to the the starter at RG.

Do the Broncos want to keep Kuper around as a back up? I don't know if you could afford a 6M dollar backup RG. There's no doubt they probably will ask him to restructure, to what degree who knows. There's the possibility he could challenge LG Beadles. There's the option to place him on IR (not sure how realistic that is though).

I could imagine though, with a healthy Kuper at LG, this OL would be considered one of the top 3 or 4 OL's in the NFL.

So what's your best guess on this situation and how it will unfold?

cutthemdown 04-30-2013 05:49 PM

Kupers game last yr in the playoffs vs the Ravens was pretty hard to watch. He got dominated all game. I sort of see him being traded or cut once he is healthy.

OBF1 04-30-2013 05:50 PM

So you are hoping for a starting O line of Clady, Kuper, ? Vasquez and Franklin?

I am not quite sure who we plug in at Center at this time.

Lestat 04-30-2013 05:55 PM

i just wonder how much of it was due to Kuper and how much of it was due to Beadles.
maybe you're balancing it out for budget reasons for Beadles or insurance for Kuper.

FireFly 04-30-2013 06:15 PM

I'd be surprised if he was on the team at the beginning of the season. SHOCKED if if was and hadn't taken a pay cut.

He's been one of my favorite broncos in recent years and he's been unlucky with injuries but as you hear over and over, this is a business.

Mogulseeker 04-30-2013 06:21 PM

Kuper will start the year PUP... he'll be back week six to take over whomever on the line is injured at the time. If there isn't anyone injured he could stay as a backup and get cut at the end of the season, or they could look to move him on the trade deadline.

Mogulseeker 04-30-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3841491)
Kupers game last yr in the playoffs vs the Ravens was pretty hard to watch. He got dominated all game. I sort of see him being traded or cut once he is healthy.

This.

He'll stay on the roster as PUP, without counting against the cap or against the 53-man limit.

We'll deal with him in week 6.

rugbythug 04-30-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3841517)
This.

He'll stay on the roster as PUP, without counting against the cap or against the 53-man limit.

We'll deal with him in week 6.

my guess

broncosteven 04-30-2013 06:38 PM

I would love to see him move to Center.

razorwire77 04-30-2013 06:43 PM

He'll go on the PUP and return in week six as a valuable swing lineman backup on Superbowl caliber team. Then he'll probably sign with another team.

Really like Kupe's game, but I don't see any other way this plays out (unless Beadles reverts back to sucking ass and we plug Kupe in there during the middle of the season.)

s0phr0syne 04-30-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3841529)

Yeah, if he can get healthy, I imagine our best OL combo involves him supplanting either Beadles or Walton.

underrated29 04-30-2013 07:06 PM

In the ravens game he had just come back from injury. I'm sure he was probably still playing hurt and there is no way he was in game shape- after missing like 9 games. I don't fault him for the ravens game.

I'd love to see him take Beadles job at LG. kuper is better at run blocking and pass blocking IMO. He may not be as good at pulling I am not sure. Beadles is pretty good at pulling. But a camp battle would only benefit the team.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun 04-30-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

^This! I just don't trust JD Walton. Lets give Kuper a shot at center before we cut ties with a good guard.

cutthemdown 04-30-2013 07:18 PM

The fact Broncos haven't made a move at center tells me the think Blake has progressed at least enough to be a bkup. Then between Koppen, Walton, Blake they can field a decent center for this yr. I wish they had drafted Schwenke when they had the chance but the fact they passed on promising young centers has to mean Phillip Blake still factoring in to their decision. Or it could mean they feel when Kuper gets healthy he could play center? But if a player hasn't played center at least in college I'm not sure how easy a switch that is.

ZONA 04-30-2013 07:29 PM

For those saying he'll be on PUP to start the year, that could be true, but you're avoiding the fact he will have to be dealt with, either at the start of the year or when he comes off PUP. My point is, if he's here to stay as a back up, I don't see how we keep him at 6M. I'm not sure how PUP works and if a player is on that, when they come back, is their full salary hit go against the CAP or is it prorated, so maybe it would be something like 3.5M. I agree with others, there was no way he was his normal self for the Ravens game. I also think I'd like to see just where he's at when training camp arrives. If he's made great progress and they suspect he will be at 100% by week 6 and they feel he can play at or very close to the same level he was before the injuries, I would like them to find a spot for him. I also think he's better then Beadles but I'm not sure having him play Center is the answer. I mean, if they went to him today and said that, at least he could start working on some things. I don't think you can say hey it's week 6 and Kupes back, let's give a shot at center. I think Walton will be fine at Center. I guess in a perfect world Kupes comes back healthy and can play and then you find a spot for him. You don't just cut a top 10 guard in this league if he can play. Now if he can't, and they feel he can't play at that same level, I guess you try to trade him for what you can get.

Mogulseeker 04-30-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 3841547)
For those saying he'll be on PUP to start the year, that could be true, but you're avoiding the fact he will have to be dealt with, either at the start of the year or when he comes off PUP. My point is, if he's here to stay as a back up, I don't see how we keep him at 6M. I'm not sure how PUP works and if a player is on that, when they come back, is their full salary hit go against the CAP or is it prorated, so maybe it would be something like 3.5M. I agree with others, there was no way he was his normal self for the Ravens game. I also think I'd like to see just where he's at when training camp arrives. If he's made great progress and they suspect he will be at 100% by week 6 and they feel he can play at or very close to the same level he was before the injuries, I would like them to find a spot for him. I also think he's better then Beadles but I'm not sure having him play Center is the answer. I mean, if they went to him today and said that, at least he could start working on some things. I don't think you can say hey it's week 6 and Kupes back, let's give a shot at center. I think Walton will be fine at Center. I guess in a perfect world Kupes comes back healthy and can play and then you find a spot for him. You don't just cut a top 10 guard in this league if he can play. Now if he can't, and they feel he can't play at that same level, I guess you try to trade him for what you can get.

Their salary is always prorated by week, no matter what their roster status is.

cmhargrove 04-30-2013 07:53 PM

A healthy Kuper + Vasquez would be amazing. Beadles is excellent at downfield blocks, and hopefully he has been bulking up this offseason, but he just hasn't ever been very good at pushing around first level defenders.

It's all about competition right now. Cut dead weight like Mays so we can let quality players like Kupe stick around and fight it out. Also, like mentioned before, if we are in a SB run we need all the quality players we can get. Hopefully, we can get him to restructure because he is an excellent player when healthy.

broncogary 04-30-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3841551)
Their salary is always prorated by week, no matter what their roster status is.

I thought if they were on the opening day 53, they were guaranteed their full salary. Did that change?

Ziggy 04-30-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Id rather see Kuper at LG and Beadles at center. He's got the feet to get to the second level and get on the LB quickly.

04-30-2013 08:24 PM

Hoping Kuper can return healthy sooner rather than later. What a great problem to have, in quality depth and options on the offensive line. We have cap room right now, and we can still send Mays and others packing..

Kuper is more physical at the point of contact and is better is pass protection than Beadles. Beadles can move better to the second level and is younger.. But I think playing with Peyton enhanced Beadles game, cause I saw him not holding up at the point of contact.. But again he is young, and do you stunt his growth benching him?

Personally in win now mode, if Kuper is healthy, he needs to be at Guard or Center. And I think he's smart enough to play center and make the necessary reads required of a Center. One idea I haven't heard but I also think is an option would be Vasquez at LG as he's better in pass protection than run blocking, and Kuper can stay at RG. Beadles would offer a quality option off the bench, in a jam.

Clady, Vasquez, Blake, Kuper, Franklin is just nasty!

Vegas_Bronco 04-30-2013 08:30 PM

Just put him in the basement and stop paying him.

No...get his big butt back in the house when he's good and ready to game.

FireFly 04-30-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3841515)
Kuper will start the year PUP... he'll be back week six to take over whomever on the line is injured at the time. If there isn't anyone injured he could stay as a backup and get cut at the end of the season, or they could look to move him on the trade deadline.

Very clever. Very clever. ^5

Slightly Soiled 04-30-2013 08:49 PM

Vasquez was a LG in b4 he was drafted .

broncosteven 04-30-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy (Post 3841555)
Id rather see Kuper at LG and Beadles at center. He's got the feet to get to the second level and get on the LB quickly.

That works for me

04-30-2013 09:00 PM

beadles is cheap. beadles just made the pro bowl. why are we still poo pooing this guy ? kuper cant stay healthy, maybe its time for him to hit the road.