The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Plot Thickens! (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110877)

04-29-2013 10:27 AM

The Plot Thickens!
 
Profootballtalk is reporting that the Ravens traded up for Arthur Brown, because he was being targeted by the Texans and yours truly, our Denver Broncos?

So if we had interest in him, why didn't we select a linebacker in the draft? Or if we had interest was it purely out of value?

Had Green Bay taken Ball who apparently was there second round target, and Houston took Brown, would we have taken DJ Swearinger or Eddie Lacy?

The plot thickens!

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8441/arthur-brown

Rohirrim 04-29-2013 10:29 AM

I question whether Peter King knows anything about the Broncos.

TonyR 04-29-2013 10:31 AM

I think this was already pretty well known, right? That the Broncos were interested and that's why the Ravens moved up? I didn't know about Houston, but Denver was talked about at the time.

Possible/probable that whatever I read/heard was purely speculative...

socalorado 04-29-2013 10:32 AM

I went to that site, and this is what it said.
Quote:

SI's Peter King reports LB Arthur Brown was "going to be" the Texans' pick at No. 57 before the Ravens traded up to get him.
Where does it say that DEN had interest in him.

04-29-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalorado (Post 3840458)
I went to that site, and this is what it said.


Where does it say that DEN had interest in him.

It's in the paragraph.."per King, the Broncos also had interest in him.."

04-29-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3840455)
I think this was already pretty well known, right? That the Broncos were interested and that's why the Ravens moved up? I didn't know about Houston, but Denver was talked about at the time.

Possible/probable that whatever I read/heard was purely speculative...

I had heard the same thing..

Rascal 04-29-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmore Manning (Post 3840447)
Profootballtalk is reporting that the Ravens traded up for Arthur Brown, because he was being targeted by the Texans and yours truly, our Denver Broncos?

So if we had interest in him, why didn't we select a linebacker in the draft? Or if we had interest was it purely out of value?

Had Green Bay taken Ball who apparently was there second round target, and Houston took Brown, would we have taken DJ Swearinger or Eddie Lacy?

The plot thickens!

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8441/arthur-brown

They probably wanted him because he would be an upgrade/immediate starter, and then didn't select anybody else because they didn't think they would offer much more than Trevathan. Or more likely, they plan to pick up a FA to solidify MLB.

Heyneck 04-29-2013 10:57 AM

only butt hurt people on this site think that every player the Raven got was a player we targeted. It was talked during the NFLN and ESPN coverage that they traded in front of HOU because they really thought they would have taken him. Our lack of interest in ILB should tell us that we are comfortable with what we have.

The player that we targeted (I think) and the reason we moved out of the 4th was the player the Texans grabbed.

04-29-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 3840476)
They probably wanted him because he would be an upgrade/immediate starter, and then didn't select anybody else because they didn't think they would offer much more than Trevathan. Or more likely, they plan to pick up a FA to solidify MLB.

You mean Irving not Trevethan..

But that's my point, if there was interest, than we aren't as set on the position as Elway gives credit.. And outside of Brown, our Brass didn't think anyone upgraded Irving..

Rohirrim 04-29-2013 11:06 AM

I think everybody and their brother (and sister) on the Mane thought the Broncos would go after an ILB, including me. In fact, JDR, who knows more than anybody on this board about the position, felt perfectly comfortable with what they've got. Even Shaun Phillips is coming in as a DE.

baja 04-29-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3840494)
I think everybody and their brother (and sister) on the Mane thought the Broncos would go after an ILB, including me. In fact, JDR, who knows more than anybody on this board about the position, felt perfectly comfortable with what they've got. Even Shaun Phillips is coming in as a DE.

Maybe they like Mays way better than any of us here. ;D

Rohirrim 04-29-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3840497)
Maybe they like Mays way better than any of us here. ;D

I don't think so. They're shopping him around, according to numerous sources.

55CrushEm 04-29-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmore Manning (Post 3840447)
Profootballtalk is reporting that the Ravens traded up for Arthur Brown, because he was being targeted by the Texans and yours truly, our Denver Broncos?

So if we had interest in him, why didn't we select a linebacker in the draft? Or if we had interest was it purely out of value?

Had Green Bay taken Ball who apparently was there second round target, and Houston took Brown, would we have taken DJ Swearinger or Eddie Lacy?

The plot thickens!

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8441/arthur-brown

Med had that scoop long before PFT.

Great call, Med!!

;D

TonyR 04-29-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3840501)
I don't think so. They're shopping him around, according to numerous sources.

Yup, I'll be shocked if he's not cut before camp.

broncosteven 04-29-2013 11:19 AM

There is no plot, we ended up getting a great haul of players without jumping around the board like the spastic Patriots. Elway did his home work and had backup options, everything you want your FO to do to land some impact players.

pricejj 04-29-2013 11:24 AM

1. Elway and Fox have both stated NUMEROUS times this offseason, that they are going with Irving, Johnson, and Bradley throughout training camp.

2. They have also stated that if things aren't looking good in training camp, that they would possibly bring in a veteran.

3. Alfred Williams stated during the 1st round that "All the Broncos LB's are already on the roster". Not sure if he had inside information or not, but he sounded like he thought he did.

4. Elway, "We were biting our fingers for the last 3 hours" when talking to Montee Ball.

There are no signs that the Broncos will be adding any more LB's to the roster before training camp, and this has been true for some time. I'm glad the Ravens selected Arthur Brown, because I think the Broncos (Montee Ball included) will be able to truck him in the running game. Not worried about him in pass coverage either. Any additional weight that he adds in strength training will drop his speed even further from 4.67 forty.

04-29-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3840494)
I think everybody and their brother (and sister) on the Mane thought the Broncos would go after an ILB, including me. In fact, JDR, who knows more than anybody on this board about the position, felt perfectly comfortable with what they've got. Even Shaun Phillips is coming in as a DE.

He's coming in as a PRS that's both DE and OLB.

04-29-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3840504)
There is no plot, we ended up getting a great haul of players without jumping around the board like the spastic Patriots. Elway did his home work and had backup options, everything you want your FO to do to land some impact players.

If we had interest in Brown, then we aren't as content with MLB as our Brass is saying.. Why else would you have thought to draft Brown? Maybe after Brown, they didn't think anyone upgraded Irving..

socalorado 04-29-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmore Manning (Post 3840510)
He's coming in as a PRS that's both DE and OLB.

How many sacks did Shaun Phillips have last year?
I know hes a OLB/DE.
Just curious.

broncosteven 04-29-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmore Manning (Post 3840518)
If we had interest in Brown, then we aren't as content with MLB as our Brass is saying.. Why else would you have thought to draft Brown? Maybe after Brown, they didn't think anyone upgraded Irving..

I am sure there are 10-20 other players we had interest in but couldn't get because of our draft position and number of picks.

It is obvious that they felt RB was more important and they liked Williams a lot.

Instead of upgrading MLB we ended up upgrading DT and RB. Not a big deal.

underrated29 04-29-2013 11:33 AM

im sure we had interest in him. I bet most teams in the NFL had some interest in him.

Until they come out and say we were targeting him or would have drafted him if there I will buy it....Saying we were interested in him is like saying we were interested in Damontre moore. We could have had him but didnt. Because we had other higher interests. We were interested in Arizona Matt too.

baja 04-29-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalorado (Post 3840524)
How many sacks did Shaun Phillips have last year?
I know hes a OLB/DE.
Just curious.

9.5

04-29-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by socalorado (Post 3840524)
How many sacks did Shaun Phillips have last year?
I know hes a OLB/DE.
Just curious.

9.5

R8R H8R 04-29-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmore Manning (Post 3840518)
If we had interest in Brown, then we aren't as content with MLB as our Brass is saying.. Why else would you have thought to draft Brown? Maybe after Brown, they didn't think anyone upgraded Irving..

You said it yourself earlier---for "value". If he drops, you consider it, but you do not trade up for him.

That being said, I really think they had Ball targeted in the 2nd, then maybe Brown and/or someone else if Ball went early.

ColoradoDarin 04-29-2013 11:50 AM

I was bummed about Brown going to the Ratbirds 2 picks before us, really wanted him at our 2nd.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.