The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   OT- NBA Player Jason Collins admits he is gay (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110875)

MVP-06 04-29-2013 09:14 AM

OT- NBA Player Jason Collins admits he is gay

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mag...1_a1&eref=sihp

How long before an NFL player does the same? How do you think it would be perceived in the locker room ?

SonOfLe-loLang 04-29-2013 09:24 AM

Not to be harsh, but to me this feels like a non story. Old guy, FA, good chance he wasn't getting a job next season anyway. I dunno, it doesn't feel any different than a retired player coming out to me.

Bigdawg26 04-29-2013 09:31 AM

Actually, I think that's a good move by him because he's a horrible center that can now say people don't want to sign him because he's gay!

04-29-2013 09:40 AM

John Amechi and Collins can go spoon. Two washed up garbage C that come out to get their names back in the news.

cutthemdown 04-29-2013 09:43 AM

What a ******.

Kid A 04-29-2013 10:17 AM

It's a pretty big deal. Even if he is an older FA, he's still technically the first active athlete in one of the major sports to come out. No other NBA/MLB/NFL/NHL player with aspirations of continuing playing next season has done so.

He knew he'd get a lot of attention, both very supportive and very ugly coming his way now. It's pretty ****ed up, in my opinion, to immediately disparage a guy doing something nobody else in the history of these major sports has had the balls to do. At the very least, read his well-written, thoughtful article explaining his decision. Good for him.

Rohirrim 04-29-2013 10:20 AM

It is generally accepted that between 4% to 10% of any society is gay. I'm sure that percentage crosses the line into any sport or league out there. That means a conservative estimate is that there are 67 gay players in the NFL.

baja 04-29-2013 10:22 AM

Sad that this is even considered news - IMO it should be who cares...

Lestat 04-29-2013 10:24 AM

meh, it's a non story really.
he's on the last leg of his career and was never a top tier player.
most will just dismiss it was a scrub player coming out.

i personally don't care what orientation a player is. can he help my team win? if so then welcome aboard.

Kid A 04-29-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3840506)

It's always news when something happens for the first time. It would be nice if it isn't headline worthy in a decade or two, but for now it is a barrier nobody has crossed in the major 4 sports. You can't say "who cares" when there is obviously enough controversy and fear surrounding coming out as a pro athlete that we've never seen an active NBA player do so. It would be ridiculous not to cover it as a significant event.

Edit: And I would add that the fan reaction of "it doesn't personally matter to me who a player is attracted to so why is this a story?" missed the point entirely. You may have been a-ok with having a black player on your favorite team pre-integration, but when it is still a major taboo among much of the culture it is a big deal. And carries risk for that person crossing the barrier.

I'm not a big NBA fan, or someone who really knew Collins before today, but it's silly to filter the newsworthiness of an event through its personal impact on yourself.

bronco militia 04-29-2013 10:27 AM

Best ball handling big man in the NBA, can take it to the hole with the best of them, isn't afraid to drive it to the hole, even when it is one on three, displays aggressive man to man coverage and loves nothing more than setting a hard dick and roll for his teammates.

baja 04-29-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kid A (Post 3840512)
It's always news when something happens for the first time. It would be nice if it isn't headline worthy in a decade or two, but for now it is a barrier nobody has crossed in the major 4 sports. You can't say "who cares" when there is obviously enough controversy and fear surrounding coming out as a pro athlete that we've never seen an active NBA player do so. It would be ridiculous not to cover it as a significant event.

I get what you are saying and you are right it is big news I just think it is sad in this day and age that it is.

broncosteven 04-29-2013 10:29 AM

Those NBA players are all whores anyway, they will sleep with any one or thing. Look at what MJ was tagging back in the 80's.

I bet this guy is the most popular player on away games for those who don't have a ship in every port.

R8R H8R 04-29-2013 10:30 AM

That's terrific Collins, but you're still a bad center on a bad team.

BroncoMan4ever 04-29-2013 10:35 AM

to be completely honest i am sick of this story about gay pro athletes. if athletes want to come out as gay, then come out as gay. stop with these ridiculous puff pieces and stories about them maybe coming out. either do it, or shut the **** up about it.

OBF1 04-29-2013 10:43 AM

So...Basketball is not the only thing he sucks at :)

ColoradoDarin 04-29-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3840505)
It is generally accepted that between 4% to 10% of any society is gay. I'm sure that percentage crosses the line into any sport or league out there. That means a conservative estimate is that there are 67 gay players in the NFL.

I thought it was closer to 2.5%? Eh, I'm not going to look it up, but that's the number I remember. But then you have to factor in things like, 50% of actors are gay and thus the number of gay people playing pro-sports might be likely be less than the population as a whole... :egbgb:

Punisher 04-29-2013 10:57 AM

It will only work if a player like L James admits he was gay. Teams will have no chioce but to sign him for his talnet. J Collins will never play for a team again

rugbythug 04-29-2013 11:33 AM

Matthew Shepard was killed because he owed his meth dealer.

ZONA 04-29-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3840506)

yup

R8R H8R 04-29-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3840530)
to be completely honest i am sick of this story about gay pro athletes. if athletes want to come out as gay, then come out as gay. stop with these ridiculous puff pieces and stories about them maybe coming out. either do it, or shut the **** up about it.

Agreed. This is a media thing. I don't believe the majority of people in this country gives a ****, but the media makes it a bigger story for the shock value and sensationalism aspect.

Just wait, as soon as some other player says something stupid, that will be the media's "proof" that America is homophobic & racist.

55CrushEm 04-29-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBF1 (Post 3840546)
So...Basketball is not the only thing he sucks at :)

LOL

BroncoMan4ever 04-29-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8R H8R (Post 3840615)
Agreed. This is a media thing. I don't believe the majority of people in this country gives a ****, but the media makes it a bigger story for the shock value and sensationalism aspect.

Just wait, as soon as some other player says something stupid, that will be the media's "proof" that America is homophobic & racist.

agreed. majority of americans now just see being gay as no big deal anymore. majority can care less. but the media will find the one bigot in the crowd or the one teammate who is uncomfortable with a gay teammate and paint the rest of the world in that same fashion.

RhymesayersDU 04-29-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 (Post 3840466)
John Amechi and Collins can go spoon. Two washed up garbage C that come out to get their names back in the news.

LMAO @ "back in the news."

Yeah, because those two guys were major stars just a couple years ago. Yeah. That's totally it.

Rohirrim 04-29-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3840618)
agreed. majority of americans now just see being gay as no big deal anymore. majority can care less. but the media will find the one bigot in the crowd or the one teammate who is uncomfortable with a gay teammate and paint the rest of the world in that same fashion.

Bingo. The majority of Americans have much more important things to worry about. This is media hype. Nothing else.