The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Kayvon Webster: What the draft analysts said about him (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110835)

BowlenBall 04-27-2013 12:08 AM

Kayvon Webster: What the draft analysts said about him
 
Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedi...on-webster.jpg

Measurables
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 195
Arm Length: 32 1/2"
Hand width: 8 1/2"
40-yard dash: 4.41
Vertical jump: 35"
Broad jump: 10' 05"
225-lb. bench: 14 reps
Short shuttle: 4.17
3-cone drill: 6.89

Statistics
2009: 30 tackles, 2.5 TFL, 1 INT, 2 PBU, 1 FR
2010: 29 tackles, 1 TFL
2011: 49 tackles, 1 TFL, 2 INT, 7 PBU, 1 FF, 1 FR
2012: 82 tackles, 4 TFL, 2 sacks, 6 PBU, 3 FF
Career: 32 games started, 190 tackles, 8.5 TFL, 2 sacks, 3 INT, 15 PBU, 4 FF, 2 FR


Pro Football Weekly (Nolan Nawrocki) Analysis

Rank: Not in Nawrocki's top 150, 27th-highest rated cornerback overall
Grade: 5.13 (better-than-average chance to make an NFL roster)

Postives: Looks the part and has excellent top-end speed. Athletic movement skills. Light on his feet and plays with bounce in his step. Transitions smoothly. Steps up with urgency to support the run. Physical tackler who will square up ballcarriers. Worked as a gunner. Started 32 career games. Has some upside.

Negatives: Small hands. Pedals tall. Not an instinctive ballhawk (only three career interceptions). Not anticipatory. Does not trust what he sees. Yields separation at the break point. Tends to clutch and grab. Average leaping ability. Could stand to refine technique. Occasionally overruns or misses tackles in space.

Summary: Rough-around-the-edges, size-speed prospect with developmental value in multiple schemes thanks to his raw physical tools. Has speed to factor on special teams, and could prove to be a value selection if his eyes, instincts, and technique catch up.



Mel Kiper's Analysis

Rank: Not in Mel's top 150, 34th-highest rated cornerback
Grade: 6.0 (can make a club and contribute)

No report written (Mel only did a write-up for his top 31 cornerbacks)



NFL.com Analysis

Rank: Not listed on overall big board, 42nd-highest rated cornerback
Grade: 52.0

No report written on player profile page.



Draft Insiders (Frank Coyle) Analysis

Rank: 244 overall, 28th-highest rated cornerback
Grade: 62

Notes: Fast Senior corner has risen up charts nicely over his final season after displaying developing cover skills. Kayvon shows good awareness in zone coverage with the sure open field tackling to earn time in nickel and dime packages. He is an agile cover man who will jump routes and make plays. He has developed quickly in zone coverage with improving awareness and the reactions to break up passes. He needs strength work and needs to read routes better to use his athleticism to the fullest. He can handle the physicality of the t he game with sure tackling at the the line and especially in the open field. He can play bump and run with the toughness to control receivers and the speed and suddenness to close on the ball. He has the makeup of a a top special teams coverage defender and posssibly the gunner role in time. He fits into zone coverage clubs well and has the makeup to earn time in package defenses. Good athlete with developed technique to fill a few key roles. Rising defender with definite make it grade.



CBS Sports (Rob Rang) Analysis

Rank: 224th overall, 27th-highest rated cornerback
Grade: N/A

STRENGTHS: Webster is a balanced athlete with ideal top-end speed for the position. Quick in his backpedal with smooth footwork, appearing natural in his transition. Accelerates in a flash to click and close with smooth hips to easily redirect his momentum. Good awareness to make accurate reads and come off his man to make a play. Aggressive vs. the run and a willing, disciplined tackler (led team in tackles in 2012). Physical in coverage with a hard-nosed, confident attitude. Active blitzer off the corner.

WEAKNESSES: Will get hung up on blocks and needs to develop his strength to quickly disengage. Needs to improve his feel and instincts, especially when his back is turned to the line of scrimmage. his eyes get caught in the backfield, which leads to false steps and tied up footwork. Too hands-on downfield and needs to improve his discipline and cover technique. Doesn't always trust what he sees, causing him to be hesitant and a step late. Streaky ballskills and needs to get his hands on the ball, finish INTs.



National Football Post (Russ Lande) Analysis

Rank: 155th overall, 20th-highest rated cornerback
Grade: 5.5

STRENGTHS - Webster has an extremely well-built frame and plays bigger than his measurables suggest. In press coverage he uses a strong punch to jam his man at the LOS, and does an excellent job of shadowing him down-field without taking interference penalties. He displays the speed needed to stay with most receivers in space and is an effective blitzer that disguises his attack well and has a knack for knocking the ball out of the QB's hand while finishing sacks. When he's aggressive with blockers he does a good job of defeating them with strong hands foot quickness, putting himself in good position to finish tackles in space.

WEAKNESSES - Webster is not as effective in off and zone coverages because despite possessing good long speed, he lacks the burst needed to close effectively from off the ball. While he is generally physical in press, when he gives free releases off the LOS or the break, he is unable to recover and close the gap in time to play the ball. In games I evaluated he struggled playing the ball and did not display good instincts with the ball in the air. When he lets blockers get on top of him, he can get engulfed by bigger receivers and struggle to disengage. Although often in position, he misses too many tackles in space by ducking his head and going low, often failing to bring his arms and wrap up.

SUMMARY - Kayvon Webster was an interesting player to evaluate because the defensive scheme at South Florida did not always play to his strengths, and often put him in difficult situations. When asked to play man press, he used his speed and physicality to knock his man off line and stay on his hip down-field, and consistently put himself in position to make plays on balls thrown his way. However, he was more often in off or zone coverage, where he did not display the burst and closing ability needed to prevent catches in front. His thick frame and natural strength allows him to consistently defeat blockers in space when he aggressively initiates contact, but he needs to do a better job of holding his ground and wrapping up in order to consistently finish tackles on runs to his side. Webster is worth an early day three selection, as he has the speed and physicality to potentially develop into a starter, or at least a nickel CB that adds production on blitzes from the slot.



ESPN Scouts Inc. Analysis

Rank: 111th overall, 16th-highest rated cornerback
Grade: 69

Instincts/Recognition: A confident and aggressive player. Very good eyes in zone coverage. Marks targets and keys QBs eyes well to get a quick beat on throws. Maintains proper leverage and positioning in man coverage particularly when bumped inside at the nickel back. Can read routes and flashes anticipation to jump routes. Will gamble on occasion and can become overzealous vs. double moves. Strong diagnostic skills vs. the run.

Cover Skills: A fluid and explosive athlete. Quick feet. Natural and maintains leverage in pedal. Very balanced with movements and shows a quick stop/start out of breaks. Can open hips to turn and runs with receivers downfield. Does show some slight tightness when having to make a sudden 180 degree turn in off man coverage. Transitions quickly out of cuts and has an explosive closing burst to cut separation in a hurry. Flashes a second gear to recover when caught out of position.

Ball Skills: Limited production and not a consistent playmaker at this point. Can anticipate and has the closing burst to get an early break on the ball. Does not always take quality angles to the point. Uses long arms well to get hands on throws when in position. Aggressive attacking the ball. Adequate hands and body control but will have an occasional drop. To his defense played a heavy dose of zone coverage on tape and did not have many opportunities to generate turnovers.

Run Support: Tough, aggressive and plays with an edge in this department. Sets the edge with conviction. Uses long arms well to disengage from blocks. Has the innate ability to stay alive in the open field by shedding blocks in the proper direction and also protecting his feet. Closes quickly, shows above-average body control and has long arms to hog-tie ball carriers legs on the fly. Breaks down well and is extremely reliable as an open field tackler.



Draft Insider (Tony Pauline) Analysis

Rank: Not on 150-man big board, 38th-highest rated cornerback overall
Grade: Free Agent

Positive: Tough cornerback who will be best in a zone system. Quick up the field. Aggressive in run defense and works hard to make plays on the ballcarrier. Shows the ability to stay with receivers out of breaks. Effectively positions himself to make plays on the ball and has a nice move to the throw.

Negative: Lacks a smooth, quick backpedal, which hurts his ability to drive to the ball out of his plant.

Analysis: Webster possesses next level size/speed numbers and has flashed ability the past two seasons but consistently leaves scouts thinking he's capable of more. He needs to have a big camp during the summer to make a final roster this September but has the skills to do so.

OBF1 04-27-2013 12:14 AM

So basically according to everyone you quoted... We got hosed.

BowlenBall 04-27-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBF1 (Post 3837672)
So basically according to everyone you quoted... We got hosed.

Don't forget all 32 participants of the Orange Mane Mock Draft -- no one thought much of him there, either.

Basically, it's Elway vs. the world on this one.

Dexter 04-27-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBF1 (Post 3837672)
So basically according to everyone you quoted... We got hosed.

Seems like he has potential, but yeah....probably bad value. Although its kinda comparable to the EJ Manuel situation in Buffalo. If he's your guy, then you go get him. I trust they know more than we do, but at first glance, probably could have waited another round or two...

Mogulseeker 04-27-2013 12:40 AM

Reminds me of the Paul Toviessi pick.

TheChamp247 04-27-2013 12:43 AM

From his positives and negatives I read, it looks like he simply needs to get coached up on how to be corner. If he has the basic athletic ability they seem to imply, I don't see how Champ watching over him will not yield very positive results. Even worst case scenario, and this guy is a Roc Alexander, screw it. Elway has led this franchise from 4-12 to 13-3 in two years. One bad draft pick in the 3rd round really isn't something to be mad about. From what I've seen on Williams and Ball are that they are incredibly high quality picks. I trust John.

Lestat 04-27-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3837690)
Reminds me of the Paul Toviessi pick.

not even close to the same thing. Toviessi was injured and it got worse.
same thing with Middlebrooks, Foster and one other who's name escapes me at the moment.

i4jelway7 04-27-2013 01:20 AM

LOL @ the scouts analysis, they contradict each other.... they don't know sh*t ... My guess is Elway took him b/c he can tackle & plays man coverage well, he will prob be the gunner on special teams... Was he a reach in the 3rd? --- probably

cutthemdown 04-27-2013 01:24 AM

watch him make some plays in preseason and become everyones favorite new player.

04-27-2013 02:24 AM

LOL at people thinking those draft websites are more knowledgeable than the Broncos scouting department.

eddie mac 04-27-2013 02:54 AM

As many have said before there isn't a whole lot of difference between these guys now taken in the 3rd-6th or so.

04-27-2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie mac (Post 3837737)
As many have said before there isn't a whole lot of difference between these guys now taken in the 3rd-6th or so.

You know as well as I do, that there are and were big time players on the board..

UberBroncoMan 04-27-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i4jelway7 (Post 3837707)
LOL @ the scouts analysis, they contradict each other.... they don't know sh*t ... My guess is Elway took him b/c he can tackle & plays man coverage well, he will prob be the gunner on special teams... Was he a reach in the 3rd? --- probably

David Bruton was resigned for his gunner/ST talents.

This guy has Nickle/Dime and SS written all over him.

UberBroncoMan 04-27-2013 03:24 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...rise-selection

Fluff piece btw.

Yes it's B/R, but hey, has some info.

Vulcano 04-27-2013 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan (Post 3837746)
David Bruton was resigned for his gunner/ST talents.

This guy has Nickle/Dime and SS written all over him.

Wasnt Matt Willis a gunner too? Who is probably cut after pre-season.

But im with you he could get the big-nickel job.

Vegas_Bronco 04-27-2013 05:00 AM

Plays the edge aggressively and loves to tackle...reminds me of champ in that he isn't afraid to go low on a big back or attack an inside run play from the edge. He should be perfect anticipating screens, run plays to the edge, and slant coverage. His coverage skills are decent but still needs a lot of work to be an nfl corner. This is my limited opinion. He went through 3 diff defensive coordinators at USF and continually improved his game. He know how to play zone well, but not ready man coverage with for nfl caliber WRs.

rugbythug 04-27-2013 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmore Manning (Post 3837743)
You know as well as I do, that there are and were big time players on the board..

I disagree. There was no one I had to have. I wanted the FSU de with the lis franc. Still do

rmsanger 04-27-2013 05:29 AM

this draft got hit back mack truck and completely questions this staff's ability after what good they've done to this point. The blatent desperation and lack of value and understanding of need reckons back to Josh McD's douche years.

D- (at best)

2KBack 04-27-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmsanger (Post 3837762)
this draft got hit back mack truck and completely questions this staff's ability after what good they've done to this point. The blatent desperation and lack of value and understanding of need reckons back to Josh McD's douche years.

D- (at best)

This is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

orinjkrush 04-27-2013 05:49 AM

FWIW first-pick.com draft grades:

Round 1 Pick 28: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina (A)
Round 2 Pick 26: Montee Ball, RB, Wisconsin (A)
Round 3 Pick 28: Kayvon Webster, CB, South Florida (D-)

CEH 04-27-2013 05:51 AM

Pay attention to Russ Lande , a former pro scout, one of the originators of the scouting combine


National Football Post (Russ Lande) Analysis

Rank: 155th overall, 20th-highest rated cornerback
Grade: 5.5

STRENGTHS - Webster has an extremely well-built frame and plays bigger than his measurables suggest. In press coverage he uses a strong punch to jam his man at the LOS, and does an excellent job of shadowing him down-field without taking interference penalties. He displays the speed needed to stay with most receivers in space and is an effective blitzer that disguises his attack well and has a knack for knocking the ball out of the QB's hand while finishing sacks. When he's aggressive with blockers he does a good job of defeating them with strong hands foot quickness, putting himself in good position to finish tackles in space.

WEAKNESSES - Webster is not as effective in off and zone coverages because despite possessing good long speed, he lacks the burst needed to close effectively from off the ball. While he is generally physical in press, when he gives free releases off the LOS or the break, he is unable to recover and close the gap in time to play the ball. In games I evaluated he struggled playing the ball and did not display good instincts with the ball in the air. When he lets blockers get on top of him, he can get engulfed by bigger receivers and struggle to disengage. Although often in position, he misses too many tackles in space by ducking his head and going low, often failing to bring his arms and wrap up.

SUMMARY - Kayvon Webster was an interesting player to evaluate because the defensive scheme at South Florida did not always play to his strengths, and often put him in difficult situations. When asked to play man press, he used his speed and physicality to knock his man off line and stay on his hip down-field, and consistently put himself in position to make plays on balls thrown his way. However, he was more often in off or zone coverage, where he did not display the burst and closing ability needed to prevent catches in front. His thick frame and natural strength allows him to consistently defeat blockers in space when he aggressively initiates contact, but he needs to do a better job of holding his ground and wrapping up in order to consistently finish tackles on runs to his side. Webster is worth an early day three selection, (end f round 3 top of round 4 no big deal with you are picking 90th) as he has the speed and physicality to potentially develop into a starter, or at least a nickel CB that adds production on blitzes from the slot.


This is exactly the type of evaluation you have to make and project the player into your teams' defensive scheme. What type of defense does JDR want to run. Zone or Man? Duh

Word of advice. You need to pick a quality person to follow for draft evals. Someone who has been in the business of NFL scouting . Sure blogs like MHR are fun to read but they are just that bloggers with no real ability to break down a player and present the facts like a real real scout would do

Lande had him as his 20th ranked CB and 16 CBs were selected. Top of round 4 was spot on. Team preferences and scheme at this point

Stop whining you'all

Who was Asante Samuel in the 4th round in 2003.

i4jelway7 04-27-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan (Post 3837746)
David Bruton was resigned for his gunner/ST talents.

This guy has Nickle/Dime and SS written all over him.

you are right this ^ sounds more like it

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEH (Post 3837771)
Pay attention to Russ Lande , a former pro scout, one of the originators of the scouting combine


National Football Post (Russ Lande) Analysis

Rank: 155th overall, 20th-highest rated cornerback
Grade: 5.5

STRENGTHS - Webster has an extremely well-built frame and plays bigger than his measurables suggest. In press coverage he uses a strong punch to jam his man at the LOS, and does an excellent job of shadowing him down-field without taking interference penalties. He displays the speed needed to stay with most receivers in space and is an effective blitzer that disguises his attack well and has a knack for knocking the ball out of the QB's hand while finishing sacks. When he's aggressive with blockers he does a good job of defeating them with strong hands foot quickness, putting himself in good position to finish tackles in space.

WEAKNESSES - Webster is not as effective in off and zone coverages because despite possessing good long speed, he lacks the burst needed to close effectively from off the ball. While he is generally physical in press, when he gives free releases off the LOS or the break, he is unable to recover and close the gap in time to play the ball. In games I evaluated he struggled playing the ball and did not display good instincts with the ball in the air. When he lets blockers get on top of him, he can get engulfed by bigger receivers and struggle to disengage. Although often in position, he misses too many tackles in space by ducking his head and going low, often failing to bring his arms and wrap up.

SUMMARY - Kayvon Webster was an interesting player to evaluate because the defensive scheme at South Florida did not always play to his strengths, and often put him in difficult situations. When asked to play man press, he used his speed and physicality to knock his man off line and stay on his hip down-field, and consistently put himself in position to make plays on balls thrown his way. However, he was more often in off or zone coverage, where he did not display the burst and closing ability needed to prevent catches in front. His thick frame and natural strength allows him to consistently defeat blockers in space when he aggressively initiates contact, but he needs to do a better job of holding his ground and wrapping up in order to consistently finish tackles on runs to his side. Webster is worth an early day three selection, as he has the speed and physicality to potentially develop into a starter, or at least a nickel CB that adds production on blitzes from the slot.


This is exactly the type of evaluation you have to make and project the player into your teams' defensive scheme. What type of defense does JDR want to run. Zone or Man? Duh

Word of advice. You need to pick a quality person to follow for draft evals. Someone who has been in the business of NFL scouting . Sure blogs like MHR are fun to read but they are just that bloggers with no real ability to break down a player and present the facts like a real real scout would do

Russ Lande knows his sh**

barryr 04-27-2013 05:58 AM

Webster actually looks bigger on tape than what his measureables say. I think he could move to FS if it was needed. I'm ok with the pick, especially with the need for more CB's against the good passing teams.

ludo21 04-27-2013 06:02 AM

Weren't we just complaining about having a BIG DB that can cover man and the TE? (hmmmmm)

woke up liking this pick more and more albeit I know nothing about the guy other than highlights and measurables.

04-27-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugbythug (Post 3837759)
I disagree. There was no one I had to have. I wanted the FSU de with the lis franc. Still do

I like Brandon Jenkins too.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.