The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Eating Crow, Any one Else? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110818)

04-26-2013 08:49 AM

Eating Crow, Any one Else?

I'll be honest i wasn't very happy with the Sly pick when it happened last night, stayed up for 2 1/2 hours after the pick and watched interviews and highlights from Sly and all i can say is I'm very excited about this pick.

Any one else not super excited when this pick happened? Looking at it now it was defiantly the best player and value on the board.

BowlenBall 04-26-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmac15 (Post 3835890)
I'll be honest i wasn't very happy with the Sly pick when it happened last night, stayed up for 2 1/2 hours after the pick and watched interviews and highlights from Sly and all i can say is I'm very excited about this pick.

Any one else not super excited when this pick happened? Looking at it now it was defiantly the best player and value on the board.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

04-26-2013 08:52 AM

I didn't see hardly anyone complaining about this pick. Saw a few that wanted to trade down. He was my favorite DT in the draft.

04-26-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3835897)
I didn't see hardly anyone complaining about this pick. Saw a few that wanted to trade down. He was my favorite DT in the draft.

I saw a few on here and a different board, I heard Sly and the first thing that came to my mind was Kentwan Balmer. I didn't think he would be at pick #28 so i didn't look at any tape or combine work.

Rohirrim 04-26-2013 08:58 AM

I've wanted a DT that could disrupt the middle the whole time, but I thought that would be a different Williams - Jesse. I'm fine with Sylvester. The two were right next to each other on the value board. Jesse probably has more sheer power, but Sylvester has the better quickness. Works for me.

04-26-2013 08:59 AM

So my question to you guys whats the biggest difference between Sly Williams and Sharrif floyd?

cousinal11 04-26-2013 09:02 AM

Watched him play a lot because of my location. Great story and a steal if he stays motivated.

Lestat 04-26-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmac15 (Post 3835903)
So my question to you guys whats the biggest difference between Sly Williams and Sharrif floyd?

biggest differences is ceiling and flexibility.
Williams is a penetrating DT who can play UT or Nose. he can be disruptive in the run game and force the pocket to collapse.
his thick lower half allows him to explode and be stout.

Floyd has huge upside and tremendous flexibility. he can play in a 3-4 or 4-3.
he can play end, he can play DT,UT, in a pinch he could play nose.
he's a fiend on getting in the backfield and disrupting plays with tackles for loss.

either one would have worked for the Broncos but Williams fills a big time need.
not that Floyd wouldn't have but Williams skill set is a perfect fit for a JDR scheme.

Dexter 04-26-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmac15 (Post 3835890)

I'll eat crow. I was screaming at 28 "Don't pick Williams!" I had an uninformed perception that he was lazy because that's what I heard. But after reading more about him and watching him interview, I feel a lot better about his character.

Not to say he's done anything yet but I'm way more excited now than I was at the time of the pick.

winstoncup bronco 04-26-2013 09:20 AM

I would have been happy with anyone other than T'eo.

The fact that we got a guy who had no business being there at 28 is the icing on the cake. The right move was to stay put and draft him.

04-26-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmac15 (Post 3835903)

One wasn't available when the Broncos drafted?

Kaylore 04-26-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan (Post 3835933)
One wasn't available when the Broncos drafted?

Exactly. Or the latter made the former available for us at 28?

As to the OP, no I was not upset. It made a lot of sense. I was hoping one of the top tier CB's were going to be there, but they weren't so we had to move on.

bronco_diesel 04-26-2013 09:46 AM

When there is a guy named Sylvester on the board and he is avaialble, you take him.

I am happy with the pick.

Kaylore 04-26-2013 09:51 AM

Really no one can eat Crow until a few years have passed anyway.

BroncoMan4ever 04-26-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3835910)
biggest differences is ceiling and flexibility.
Williams is a penetrating DT who can play UT or Nose. he can be disruptive in the run game and force the pocket to collapse.
his thick lower half allows him to explode and be stout.

Floyd has huge upside and tremendous flexibility. he can play in a 3-4 or 4-3.
he can play end, he can play DT,UT, in a pinch he could play nose.
he's a fiend on getting in the backfield and disrupting plays with tackles for loss.

either one would have worked for the Broncos but Williams fills a big time need.
not that Floyd wouldn't have but Williams skill set is a perfect fit for a JDR scheme.

Also arm length. Floyd has shorter arms which could make it difficult to get out of a lineman's reach.

OABB 04-26-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowlenBall (Post 3835896)

👍

Lestat 04-26-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3835978)
Also arm length. Floyd has shorter arms which could make it difficult to get out of a lineman's reach.

i just wanna see Sly maul a opposing OL on a play this year. that alone will make the pick worth it. just knock the OL on his ass and blow up the play.

Pony Boy 04-26-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3835968)
Really no one can eat Crow until a few years have passed anyway.

Would you tell my wife that .........

bronco militia 04-26-2013 10:07 AM

I can't believe the broncos actually drafted a real DT in the 1st round......I'm cool with this.

Lestat 04-26-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony Boy (Post 3835986)
Would you tell my wife that .........

don't do it, don't do it. it's not worth the headache. you cannot win that battle.

cmhargrove 04-26-2013 10:23 AM

Honestly, I didn't give Sly a thought this draft. Every mock I read had him going earlier than our pick so I just didn't even consider him. If Floyd had been drafted by the Raiders at pick #3 (as expected), i'm sure Williams would have been gone before 28.

He looks like a great player, hopefully we just lucked out at a position of need.

orinjkrush 04-26-2013 07:28 PM

Sly..........B
Ball..........B-
3rd round.....F

gunns 04-26-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3835978)

That's what I noticed with Williams. Wasn't sure if it was just me but watching him in videos he seems to have a great wing span.

orange crusher 04-26-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco (Post 3835924)
I would have been happy with anyone other than T'eo.

That's about where I was.

I was very happy to see them invest in the trenches early. After watching some clips on Sly, I'm phsyched to see him in orange and blue.

04-26-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunns (Post 3837409)
That's what I noticed with Williams. Wasn't sure if it was just me but watching him in videos he seems to have a great wing span.

Giants won 2 superbowls they had no business even being in because of DL wingspans. It works.