The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Elway had a chance to trade back and declined it (probably Pats deal). Would you? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110817)

Kaylore 04-26-2013 06:39 AM

Elway had a chance to trade back and declined it (probably Pats deal). Would you?
 
I've had a chance to get through some of the first reaction to the Williams pick. If you guys have a chance, go to DenverBroncos.com and watch their videos. They have video of them calling Williams and their press conference.

In the PC, someone asks them if they thought about trading up or down. Elway mentions that they actually had an offer to trade back (probably the deal the Patriots got) but declined it because they were so enamored with Williams falling to them. (Sharif Floyd falling threw off a lot of mocks)

The Pats got a second (52nd overall), third (83rd), fourth (102nd) and seventh-round pick (229th) from the Vikings.

I don't know the Vikings made any kind of offer to Denver, or if the value was even close that. I am just speculating because a lot of times when a team trades up, the first team they talk to declines and they work their way down until they get a trading partner.

My question: Would you have made that pick or would you have picked up that haul the Pats got?

elsid13 04-26-2013 06:42 AM

I think I might have taken the trade. I like Williams as a player (he fits what they want to do on DL) but the additional picks would have created solid depth and competition on this roster for years.

Rascal 04-26-2013 06:43 AM

Stayed. I don't think the Pats deal is that good as while they got four picks, they are all later in the rounds. Denver stayed true to its draft board and took the best player on that. I have no problem with that.

CEH 04-26-2013 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3835768)
I've had a chance to get through some of the first reaction to the Williams pick. If you guys have a chance, go to DenverBroncos.com and watch their videos. They have video of them calling Williams and their press conference.

In the PC, someone asks them if they thought about trading up or down. Elway mentions that they actually had an offer to trade back (probably the deal the Patriots got) but declined it because they were so enamored with Williams falling to them. (Sharif Floyd falling threw off a lot of mocks)

The Pats got a second (52nd overall), third (83rd), fourth (102nd) and seventh-round pick (229th) from the Vikings.

I don't know the Vikings made any kind of offer to Denver, or if the value was even close that. I am just speculating because a lot of times when a team trades up, the first team they talk to declines and they work their way down until they get a trading partner.

My question: Would you have made that pick or would you have picked up that haul the Pats got?

At first when I saw the picks on TV I thought they screwed up but then I saw it was 24 spots lower than #28 and realized Denver got a player they coveted, had a first round grade on him . Hard to say that in this draft at #28 without trading up.

If Denver's 2nd was already in the 30s a no brainer but two picks in the 50's for a Super Bowl team I don't like it

I also heard Elway is comfortable with the depth on the team so they wanted
a day one starter on Thursday night



I think they made the right decision

TheReverend 04-26-2013 06:43 AM

Happy with how it worked out, but I wouldve made the trade.

Rascal 04-26-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3835771)
I think I might have taken the trade. I like Williams as a player (he fits what they want to do on DL) but the additional picks would have created solid depth and competition on this roster for years.

I think we have competition and solid depth in a lot of places. There are some places where it's weak, but the draft just started.

Requiem 04-26-2013 06:45 AM

Probably, I like Williams a lot and can't argue against a guy who has Pro-Bowl potential, but I do like the depth of this draft. Obviously he was one of their top rated guys.

cmhargrove 04-26-2013 06:45 AM

The Patriots just seem to always get the better of negotiations. Some of the earlier trades didn't even have the value of the Patriots/Vikings trade so I don't assume we were given the same offer.

However, most mocks I saw had Sly going much earlier, so this is a long term defensive contributor that they wanted. We have short term contracts on the interior of our line, so this seems like a very solid decision if that's the kind of player they imagine him to be.

If he becomes a long-term anchor at DT, I have no problem with passing on the other picks. Time will tell.

gunns 04-26-2013 06:46 AM

Well I was complaining that teams always fall for NE's crap and give them more than they deserve. Then a poster, I believe Hercules, said it wasn't that great, they were picks late in each round. But after seeing what you have posted I think I would have loved all those extra picks. But now have to wonder what Williams will do for us.

Comparing that trade with what the Raiders got for a 3, man the Raiders got taken. They did no matter what.

elsid13 04-26-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 3835775)
I think we have competition and solid depth in a lot of places. There are some places where it's weak, but the draft just started.

I just get the feeling that extra picks would allow them to move around the board and get draftee where the depth is lacking.

Beantown Bronco 04-26-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhargrove (Post 3835777)
The Patriots just seem to always get the better of negotiations.

The Pats have become gutless when it comes to the draft IMO. They've become so bad at it that they feel they have to keep moving back and acquiring a ton of later picks so there's less pressure on them to hit on top level stars, but more chances to actually get guys that stick around.

Rascal 04-26-2013 06:56 AM

Vikings
29th = 640 points

Pats
52nd = 380
83rd = 175
102nd = 92
229th = 0
Total = 647

bronco militia 04-26-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3835781)
The Pats have become gutless when it comes to the draft IMO. They've become so bad at it that they feel they have to keep moving back and acquiring a ton of later picks so there's less pressure on them to hit on top level stars, but more chances to actually get guys that stick around.

this^ They always seem to acquire a ton of picks but have little to show for their wheeling and dealing.

Denver724 04-26-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bronco militia (Post 3835789)
this^ They always seem to acquire a ton of picks but have little to show for their wheeling and dealing.

Agreed. I like our pick. I think Williams may end up being the best DT out of this class. Hard worker with quickness. A little overaged, but started playing FB late (HS Senior year). Low mileage.

gyldenlove 04-26-2013 07:18 AM

I wouldn't make the deal. Williams was a near perfect fit for the team and I think he was pretty consensus considered to be out of range for the 28th pick. I know getting a lot of draft picks is enticing, but there is a severe drop in quality of the players in this draft from the bottom of round 1 to the middle to lower tier of round 2 and down.

If you make that trade back you have to hope that Kawann Short or Brandon Williams is there and I think currently there is ample evidence to suggest that with those 2 you are taking a very large risk at never getting your monies worth.

Tombstone RJ 04-26-2013 07:21 AM

Love the pick, would not have traded down. People here are so fickle and well, stupid. You all have been b****ing and moaning for the better part of 10 years about drafting an elite DT and well, that's exactly what Williams is. He's going to make an immediate impact on this defensive line and as Elway said, be a starter for 10 years.

Denver724 04-26-2013 07:22 AM

From Denver Post.

Not that Williams wasn't a solid pick. It is believed New England was ready to take him with its No. 29 pick. After the Broncos nabbed the Tar Heel one spot ahead, the Patriots traded back with Minnesota.

Read more: DT Sylvester Williams is Denver Broncos' pick at No. 28 of 2013 NFL draft - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2RZyE6s2j

ludo21 04-26-2013 07:23 AM

Shocked that we didn't take the deal after the Pats pulled the trigger.

I was also surprised we took a DT first round after the Knighton signing, but all in all I like the potential of Williams and you cannot hate our FO for FINALLY grabbing a DT in the 1st. Much needed for such a long time.

cmhargrove 04-26-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3835781)
The Pats have become gutless when it comes to the draft IMO. They've become so bad at it that they feel they have to keep moving back and acquiring a ton of later picks so there's less pressure on them to hit on top level stars, but more chances to actually get guys that stick around.

The one word I would argue is gutless. They do a brilliant job of trading and compiling picks. The word I would probably associate with the Patriots is hubris. However, they are constantly stacked with talent and competing in the playoffs, so it is what it is. If course, the interesting turn for the Pats will be when Tommy boy decides to hang up the cleats. They could turn into an average team, or use a boatload of picks on their own "Andrew Luck."

Oh well, interesting discussion. I'm glad we got a player we feel is an instant starter.

El Guapo 04-26-2013 07:33 AM

My dad text me during the draft that he was watching the Cowboys War Room stream and he said they were in talks with Denver of trading into that 28th pick. Guess that didn't pan out, but it may be the trade rumor Elway spoke of.

Overall, after some research, I'm pretty happy with the pick. As others have stated though only time will tell if this was solid or not. I sure hope so.

SimonFletcher73 04-26-2013 07:36 AM

Not worth chancing losing the player we wanted. We'd probably have blown most of the picks to move up in the 2nd to get him if he fell.

04-26-2013 07:39 AM

I like the pick..

But if you had two picks in the third and fourth.. You could package both and move up into the second twice, and have 4 second rounders....

2. Lacy RB
2. Te'o/Brown/Minter MLB
2. Moore/Tank DE
2. Short DT

Just saying..

Kaylore 04-26-2013 07:41 AM

I wasn't as high on Williams as the Broncos staff was (though I didn't think he sucks like Alfred Williams believes), but I felt very good with where we got him. If I didn't have the input from the coaches, I would have pulled the trigger on the trade. However this staff, and especially this coach, has an eye for defensive linemen. Basically anyone they take I am going to be fine with on their reputation alone. So if we're sitting there and they're telling me he's worth more than the package of picks, I take the player.

Kaylore 04-26-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3835781)
The Pats have become gutless when it comes to the draft IMO. They've become so bad at it that they feel they have to keep moving back and acquiring a ton of later picks so there's less pressure on them to hit on top level stars, but more chances to actually get guys that stick around.

I don't agree with this. They traded up into the first round twice last year. Bill sticks to his board and if he doesn't like the value of where he's at, he moves back.

Harvitz81 04-26-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3835820)
I wasn't as high on Williams as the Broncos staff was (though I didn't think he sucks like Alfred Williams believes), but I felt very good with where we got him. If I didn't have the input from the coaches, I would have pulled the trigger on the trade. However this staff, and especially this coach, has an eye for defensive linemen. Basically anyone they take I am going to be fine with on their reputation alone. So if we're sitting there and they're telling me he's worth more than the package of picks, I take the player.

This. If anything in Fox's and JDR's history tells you anything, they have an eye for D-line talent.

If this guy can come in and be similar to Wolfe in production with his first year, then we did quite well. Really nice that we have a disruptive DT that can hopefully collapse the pocket from the inside so QBs can't step up anymore and Von can get to them.

Time will tell, but if he comes in and contributes similar to Wolfe's rookie year then I say take the pick and run. Who knows what NE will get with all those later picks, but if you have a 1st round grade on a guy and he is there at 28 you take him. You don't trade down and settle for guys you have 2nd and 3rd round grades on.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.