The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Obamacare Exemption for Lawmakers and Aides (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110801)

Pony Boy 04-25-2013 01:23 PM

Obamacare Exemption for Lawmakers and Aides
 
Lawmakers, aides may get Obamacare exemption

Congressional leaders in both parties are engaged in high-level, confidential talks about exempting lawmakers and Capitol Hill aides from the insurance exchanges they are mandated to join as part of President Barack Obama’s health care overhaul, sources in both parties said.

The talks — which involve Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), the Obama administration and other top lawmakers — are extraordinarily sensitive, with both sides acutely aware of the potential for political fallout from giving carve-outs from the hugely controversial law to 535 lawmakers and thousands of their aides. Discussions have stretched out for months, sources said.

Yet if Capitol Hill leaders move forward with the plan, they risk being dubbed hypocrites by their political rivals and the American public. By removing themselves from a key Obamacare component, lawmakers and aides would be held to a different standard than the people who put them in office.

There is concern in some quarters that the provision requiring lawmakers and staffers to join the exchanges, if it isn’t revised, could lead to a “brain drain” on Capitol Hill, as several sources close to the talks put it.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...des-90610.html

Rohirrim 04-25-2013 01:51 PM

Medicare for all. End this insanity.

04-25-2013 02:53 PM

Well they passed it. 3 years later they finally figured out what was in it.

cutthemdown 04-25-2013 04:58 PM

What a complete joke. If its not good for then its not good for us. Obamacare is a trainwreck. The exchanges will be too big and too expensive. People will lose hours from 35 to things like 29 hours a week so employer doesn't have to pay healthcare. Its just going to be bad for so many people. Hw could dems support this trash and do this to the country?

The Lone Bolt 04-27-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3834530)
What a complete joke. If its not good for then its not good for us. Obamacare is a trainwreck. The exchanges will be too big and too expensive. People will lose hours from 35 to things like 29 hours a week so employer doesn't have to pay healthcare. Its just going to be bad for so many people. Hw could dems support this trash and do this to the country?


If you turn out to be wrong about any of this will you step up and admit it?

I think you've been listening to too much right wing propaganda. Give the system a chance to work before declaring it a failure.

cutthemdown 04-27-2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt (Post 3839455)
If you turn out to be wrong about any of this will you step up and admit it?

I think you've been listening to too much right wing propaganda. Give the system a chance to work before declaring it a failure.

I don't have to wait. Any system that causes employees to have hours cut is not smart.

Pony Boy 04-27-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt (Post 3839455)
If you turn out to be wrong about any of this will you step up and admit it?

I think you've been listening to too much right wing propaganda. Give the system a chance to work before declaring it a failure.

Why don't you give this advice to the Congress and their staff members, why would they say it will cause a brain drain on capital hill if they are forced to join the exchanges?

cutthemdown 04-27-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt (Post 3839455)
If you turn out to be wrong about any of this will you step up and admit it?

I think you've been listening to too much right wing propaganda. Give the system a chance to work before declaring it a failure.

You don't feel its a bad sign that when the persons who designed the law don't want them, their families, or the people who work for them to be on the plan? That is a huge huge red flag right there don't you think.

Also for the first time i heard a first hand account of Obamacare costing a friend hours. A person I know who is an xray tech was just told they are retiring one machine but not buying a new one. Why? Because they would have to pay 3% tax on it and they crunched the numbers. They will save more by cutting 2 xray techs to 20 hours a week and just scheduling less patients a day. Obamacare destroys productvity.

defenseman 04-27-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lone Bolt (Post 3839455)
If you turn out to be wrong about any of this will you step up and admit it?

I think you've been listening to too much right wing propaganda. Give the system a chance to work before declaring it a failure.

It appears you need to belted with a baseball bat before you'll get a clue on obamacare. You have failed to read the writing on the wall. When politicians manage to scramble out the back door regarding a supposed "great" idea, you are indeed in trouble. You need to look forward to measuring how much your paycheck gets "gouged" starting next year through 2016. It would be absolutely hilarious to see the look on your face. I look forward to both the senate and congress throwing the towell in on the obamacare monstrosity when they are completely overrun by the american public with one phrase, "repeal it or get thrown out" .....this will happen.

cutthemdown 04-27-2013 10:03 PM

There is a reason Obama designed it so he would almost be out the door before the provisions kick in. He knows it won't work now in its current form. His hope is for it to get so expensive, so many people in the exchanges, they morph it into single payer healthcare which is the liberals ultimate objective. Just like the real objective in gun control is a ban on all guns.

defenseman 04-27-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3839600)
There is a reason Obama designed it so he would almost be out the door before the provisions kick in. He knows it won't work now in its current form. His hope is for it to get so expensive, so many people in the exchanges, they morph it into single payer healthcare which is the liberals ultimate objective. Just like the real objective in gun control is a ban on all guns.

Correct on both counts and no chance in hell either will happen......blood will flow in the streets if necessary to prevent. Serious as a heart attack....the 2nd amendment is what it is. No one screws with my weapons, period.

cutthemdown 04-28-2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by defenseman (Post 3839606)
Correct on both counts and no chance in hell either will happen......blood will flow in the streets if necessary to prevent. Serious as a heart attack....the 2nd amendment is what it is. No one screws with my weapons, period.

I laugh when liberals pick apart the right to bear arms but don't mind expanding the liberty clause to make abortions legal. Thats right Supreme Court said it falls under the liberty clause. As in you can't have liberty without being able to kill your baby.

cutthemdown 04-28-2013 12:28 AM

The govt will never try and collect guns, they may try to say you cant shoot them anywhere.

Pony Boy 04-30-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3839719)
The govt will never try and collect guns, they may try to say you cant shoot them anywhere.

Or try to buy up all the ammunition

04-30-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3839716)
I laugh when liberals pick apart the right to bear arms but don't mind expanding the liberty clause to make abortions legal. Thats right Supreme Court said it falls under the liberty clause. As in you can't have liberty without being able to kill your baby.

The Constitution is what any 5 of their buddies say it is. And they call this 'progress' :)

Pony Boy 05-01-2013 08:28 AM

Obamacare’ Poll Finds 42% of Americans Unaware It’s Law


A new poll finds that many Americans are confused about the health care overhaul legislation commonly called “Obamacare.”

The Kaiser Family Foundation released results of a non-partisan study today finding more than 40 percent did not even know the law was in place.

“Four in ten Americans (42%) are unaware that the ACA [Affordable Care Act] is still the law of the land,” the report says, “including 12 percent who believe the law has been repealed by Congress, 7 percent who believe it has been overturned by the Supreme Court and 23 percent who say they don’t know enough to say what the status of the law is.”

The survey showed public opinion on Obamacare is at its second-lowest rating in the past two years.

Less than half – 40 35 percent – of adults viewed the ACA favorably, whereas 35 40 percent said they viewed it unfavorably. Another 24 percent said they did not know or refused to answer.

Democratic Sen. Max Baucus, one of the original crafters of the bill, earlier this month predicted a chaotic implementation process for the Affordable Care Act. “I just see a huge train wreck coming down,” Baucus, D-Mont., said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...aware-its-law/

05-01-2013 08:55 AM

Next time someone tries to pretend that an election is decided on policies and issues, remind yourself of surveys like this.

For a good chunk of the electorate, it's all about goosebumps and wetness being the essence of beauty. :)

Rohirrim 05-01-2013 08:59 AM

Single payer, universal health care is inevitable. This entire insurance controlled health care system is a monstrosity. It was a monstrosity when Kaiser launched it in the 70s and it's been an out of control travesty ever since. Obamacare was a well-intentioned, but futile attempt to put a patch on a catastrophe.

Do you really think companies were not already hiring, firing and laying off workers based on health care cost decisions? Really? It's ****ing epidemic. Health care has been going up double digits every year for years. It's the biggest outlay companies have. And a new report states that claims are going up this year 32%. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...st-32/2021963/

What do you think that will do to rates, Obamacare or not? In many cases, the health care system in this country dictates the labor policy of companies. That, my friends, is insane. The hospital where I work I see it first hand every day. The majority of the uninsured that come in are in the pre-retirement age bracket. They're getting laid off left and right. Why? Because it lowers premiums for the companies where they worked if nobody in that age bracket is an employee. It's an actuarial decision.

Employers have no business being involved in health care decisions of employees. Can you imagine what happens to the economy if suddenly no employer in America has to deal with health care costs? You're afraid of government involvement in health care, but perfectly fine with corporate involvement?

:loopy:

houghtam 05-01-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3841734)
Single payer, universal health care is inevitable. This entire insurance controlled health care system is a monstrosity. It was a monstrosity when Kaiser launched it in the 70s and it's been an out of control travesty ever since. Obamacare was a well-intentioned, but futile attempt to put a patch on a catastrophe.

Do you really think companies were not already hiring, firing and laying off workers based on health care cost decisions? Really? It's ****ing epidemic. Health care has been going up double digits every year for years. It's the biggest outlay companies have. And a new report states that claims are going up this year 32%. http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...st-32/2021963/

What do you think that will do to rates, Obamacare or not? In many cases, the health care system in this country dictates the labor policy of companies. That, my friends, is insane. The hospital where I work I see it first hand every day. The majority of the uninsured that come in are in the pre-retirement age bracket. They're getting laid off left and right. Why? Because it lowers premiums for the companies where they worked if nobody in that age bracket is an employee. It's an actuarial decision.

Employers have no business being involved in health care decisions of employees. Can you imagine what happens to the economy if suddenly no employer in America has to deal with health care costs? You're afraid of government involvement in health care, but perfectly fine with corporate involvement?

:loopy:

But I don't want my taxes to go up to pay for immigrants to get health care, and I've always been told that the free market deciding how much to charge will cause companies to have to compete with each other and thus lower prices overall.

Plus, socialism.

Rohirrim 05-01-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3841736)
But I don't want my taxes to go up to pay for immigrants to get health care, and I've always been told that the free market deciding how much to charge will cause companies to have to compete with each other and thus lower prices overall.

Plus, socialism.

Yeah. I'm paying $10,000 per year to an insurance company. For that, I get a $400 deductible, only one 100% covered visit per year (physical), and copays for every visit (double for specialists). I don't know what the various caps mean on the catastrophic medical event coverage. They're so convoluted I'd have to hire a lawyer to find out what they say.

If I had to pay half of that to the government and get 100% coverage through Medicare, I don't know what I'd do. I can't wait for my rates, and my deductible, to go up again next year. :rofl:

Rohirrim 05-01-2013 09:23 AM

Give me socialism, or give me death! :charge:

Ha!

05-01-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3841734)
Employers have no business being involved in health care decisions of employees. Can you imagine what happens to the economy if suddenly no employer in America has to deal with health care costs? You're afraid of government involvement in health care, but perfectly fine with corporate involvement?

:loopy:

The answer is neither of the above. It's amazing to me that the right-to-choosers can only envision a health care system where either your employer or your government makes your decisions for you.

What happened to keeping things between me and my doctor?

05-01-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3841738)
Yeah. I'm paying $10,000 per year to an insurance company. For that, I get a $400 deductible, only one 100% covered visit per year (physical), and copays for every visit (double for specialists). I don't know what the various caps mean on the catastrophic medical event coverage. They're so convoluted I'd have to hire a lawyer to find out what they say.

If I had to pay half of that to the government and get 100% coverage through Medicare, I don't know what I'd do. I can't wait for my rates, and my deductible, to go up again next year. :rofl:

Pay for the routine visits yourself. They're usually pretty affordable. If anything really bad comes up, just rest easy knowing Obamacare follows the "Buy flood insurance once your house is underwater" model. The suckers who paid for policies up-front will eat your costs for you.

Pony Boy 05-01-2013 09:48 AM

It’s a giant shiate sandwich that everyone is going to have to eat and learn to like, but not the lawmakers and their staff, they said I’m not going to take a bite of that thing.

Rohirrim 05-01-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3841749)
Pay for the routine visits yourself. They're usually pretty affordable. If anything really bad comes up, just rest easy knowing Obamacare follows the "Buy flood insurance once your house is underwater" model. The suckers who paid for policies up-front will eat your costs for you.

If I was single and had no children, I would.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.