The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Second or Third Round QB this year!? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110726)

shalowlow 04-18-2013 10:00 AM

Second or Third Round QB this year!?

Legwold thinks it's a possibility

Quarterback is by far the most important position in football. I say a GM is not doing his job if he's not drafting one every year. Honestly, where they are drafted doesn't even matter.

You find a quarterback, you save your job. I don't think I'd be happy if it happened, but good teams have quarterbacks. Bad teams don't.

cmhargrove 04-18-2013 10:25 AM

That article is just flat out throwing **** at the wall. Unsubstantiated speculation.

I see no way in which Denard Robinson would be involved in the Broncos plans at all. Really, we need Robinson as a third string qb / 5th string receiver / third string punt returner?

Houshyamama 04-18-2013 10:26 AM

That article seems to be about taking Denard Robinson, who is no longer a QB right? Legwold would take him as a returner? And what, dump Holliday? No thanks.

Houshyamama 04-18-2013 10:27 AM

Maybe he thinks Robinson will turn out like Cobb. Good luck with that.

eddie mac 04-18-2013 10:30 AM

I honestly think the Denver writers have no inside knowledge about this franchise whatsoever and haven't done since the Scheff left.

I like Legwold and exchange e-mails on a regular basis but he knows no more about the Broncos than half the posters on here. Infact the majority probably know more.

shalowlow 04-18-2013 10:41 AM

I don't think he has any inside knowledge either, but the fact remains that a GM should probably draft a qb every draft.

razorwire77 04-18-2013 10:45 AM

I could see them taking a flier on a Landry Jones type if he falls to the 5th, 6th, or 7th rounds, but a QB in the first three rounds? Not gonna happen. The article primary talks about Denard Robinson as a skill position switch. Personally, I think Denard's best NFL position is a change of pace RB that you move around a lot (slot, as a matchup exploiting H-Back etc.)

ScottXray 04-18-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorwire77 (Post 3830538)
Poop article. I could see them taking a flier on a Landry Jones type if he falls to the 5th, 6th, or 7th rounds, but a QB in the first three rounds? Not gonna happen.

Agree. There are too many other developmental needs in the first 3 rounds to be thinking QB there. 5th or 7th rounds maybe, if they are BPA, otherwise just UDFA. And as deep as the draft is in both lines and RB, cornerback there is better value there. Any QB is going to be developmental project and not probable eventual starter material after round 3. Picks like Brady ( 6th round) are pure luck to hit.

ZONA 04-18-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalowlow (Post 3830536)
I don't think he has any inside knowledge either, but the fact remains that a GM should probably draft a qb every draft.

That's BS. While QB is very important, you don't draft one every single year, when you already have a HOF QB on your team and a 2nd round pick you are developing. You can't expect to bring in some low pick every year, give them jack squat for starter reps (because they're going to the #1 & #2 QB) and expect them to look like anything you might keep. You certainly can't justify using a high pick on a QB when you have your #1 and #2 established, especially with one a HOF'er and the other coming along quite nicely.

I would say if you're a team like the Cardinals, who are still looking for "that" guy, then yeah, draft 1 every year by all means. But not in a situation like the Broncos have.

SonOfLe-loLang 04-18-2013 10:58 AM

Can you imagine the fanbase implosion if they took one in the 2nd or 3rd?

04-18-2013 11:00 AM

If Denver trades back they will draft a QB. How can anyone think they won't draft one. They even brought in one or two to look at a couple of weeks ago. They need to draft one so they can season him up and provide OZ with some competition.

DBroncos4life 04-18-2013 11:02 AM

I kind of like me some Jordan Rodgers and Sean Renfree as third QB types.

Br0nc0Buster 04-18-2013 11:07 AM

lol we are not drafting a qb in the top 4 rounds
Last year all I heard form beat writers about how Denver loved Doug Martin and Jerell Worthy

Then boom out of nowwhere came the Wolfe

Requiem 04-18-2013 11:10 AM

The Broncos will draft a quarterback, but not that high. If the team understands winning now, they need to do better than they did last year in the draft. Derek Wolfe was the only guy who got any starting time for the team. We hit on that pick -- as any team should with their first selection. If the Broncos draft a QB in the top three rounds, they are clueless. They definitely want competition for Osweiler and I agree that having the ability to groom others under Manning, Elway, etc. is a good idea -- but under no circumstance is it that high of a need for us.

04-18-2013 11:12 AM

Yup, they have no idea. They had no idea about Wolfe. They always talk about the target being a big RB, even last year, and then the team trades up for Hillman. I'm pretty sure the front office does not spend time revealing their draft plans to local journalists. Sometimes a media member might get opinions from a scout, but the team has many scouts with different opinions and they're not the ones who pull the trigger.

cmhargrove 04-18-2013 11:22 AM

Hopefully, we will use our sixth round pick on a QB... :wiggle:

04-18-2013 11:25 AM

I get the feeling Klis is pretty close with the Front Office but I think they also have him report stuff that is completely opposite on occasion to lead people to believe otherwise. He has been right on some interesting mid round prospects such as Julius Thomas from a couple years ago.

Rabb 04-18-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shalowlow (Post 3830536)

I cannot remember who but I remember a few years ago some GM basically said, you should draft a QB every year regardless. They are just a commodity whether you need them or not.

Rabb 04-18-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schaaf (Post 3830581)
I get the feeling Klis is pretty close with the Front Office but I think they also have him report stuff that is completely opposite on occasion to lead people to believe otherwise. He has been right on some interesting mid round prospects such as Julius Thomas from a couple years ago.

I think you nailed it, Klis is their media puppet.

ludo21 04-18-2013 12:58 PM

Im on board

...with an UDFA QB

04-18-2013 01:20 PM

We took a QB in the 2nd last year. That was crazy then and history seems to repeat itself often

ludo21 04-18-2013 01:23 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BEeOEch...layer_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

denard throws first pitch

broncosteven 04-18-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 3830598)
I cannot remember who but I remember a few years ago some GM basically said, you should draft a QB every year regardless. They are just a commodity whether you need them or not.

That could have been Bill Walsh or someone in the San Fran org during the 90's.

Belly likes to draft BU's but it is not like they are going to compete with tommy.

I think if you hit on one and or have a stud like PM then you can afford to pass on one for a couple years.

Tombstone RJ 04-18-2013 02:37 PM

My understanding from the Legwold article is that if the Broncos drafted Robinson it would be to develope as a WR or maybe even a RB, but not QB. They see this kid as having the right attitude, talent and drive to excel at WR but it will be with time, not immediately.

Am I the only one reading the article like this?

broncosteven 04-18-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3830706)
My understanding from the Legwold article is that if the Broncos drafted Robinson it would be to develope as a WR or maybe even a RB, but not QB. They see this kid as having the right attitude, talent and drive to excel at WR but it will be with time, not immediately.

Am I the only one reading the article like this?

I thought it was about WR not QB.