The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Gub'mint buying up all the bullets? Nope (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110696)

Fedaykin 04-15-2013 06:40 AM

Gub'mint buying up all the bullets? Nope

Lot of conspiracy theories about the DHS buying up all the ammo.

Want to know what's really happening? Load this site in your browser:

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo

then pick a popular ammo, like 9mm.

It's a "search engine" that crawls all the online dealers who sell ammo, and alerts you (with a beep) when it finds ammo in stock.

I was wanting to pick up some 9mm ammo the other day, and of course it's hard to find. So I loaded this up. It's actually pretty crazy. I get a beep, and click on the link, and before I can successfully log in to the particular site and purchase the ammo (< 20 seconds), it's gone.

This is why everything's out of stock even on line folks: lots of panic, and untold thousands using tools like that site (and likely some folks writing bots that automatically purchase too -- it's trivial to do)

Pony Boy 04-15-2013 07:47 AM

Attachment 32231

bronco militia 04-15-2013 08:46 AM

I used it last week. just be careful.

some of the sites don't specify if they are reloads or not. I bought 500 rounds of .223 rem that were reloads at $.60 a round. It's not an issue if you have a gas piston AR15.

IHaveALight 04-15-2013 11:47 AM

So now that we know that the public is buying ammo, we now also know that DHS hasn't been stockpiling. Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

Fedaykin 04-16-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveALight (Post 3829217)
So now that we know that the public is buying ammo, we now also know that DHS hasn't been stockpiling. Good to know, thanks for the heads up.

The DHS hasn't been stockpiling. They've negotiated bulk pricing agreements for large amounts of ammo (~2bn over five years), but their actual purchases have not been anywhere near that much.

The 2bn number is the maximum number of units they can get at the bulk discounts they have -- a protection for the suppliers not the DHS.

Last time I checked, the hardest ammo to get a hold of, period, was .22LR. Also happens to be by far, the most popular ammo (9mm coming in second) because it's usually dirt cheap and has no recoil making it particularly fun to shoot (varmints, plinking, w/e) in large amounts.

Tombstone RJ 04-16-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedaykin (Post 3829511)
The DHS hasn't been stockpiling. They've negotiated bulk pricing agreements for large amounts of ammo (~2bn over five years), but their actual purchases have not been anywhere near that much.

The 2bn number is the maximum number of units they can get at the bulk discounts they have -- a protection for the suppliers not the DHS.

Last time I checked, the hardest ammo to get a hold of, period, was .22LR. Also happens to be by far, the most popular ammo (9mm coming in second) because it's usually dirt cheap and has no recoil making it particularly fun to shoot (varmints, plinking, w/e) in large amounts.

But why hollow point ammo? Why is DHS buying hollow point ammo for target practice? Hollow point ammo is way more expensive. I'll give them a pass on buying .40S&W ammo because it is the most popular law enforcement ammo but that is usually with local law enforcment, like sherrif departments and city police. The feds is another question, I'm not so sure they don't go with the standard NATO 9mm round because that is what the US Military uses, so buying in bulk for the feds make sense, no?

Fact is, the current administration has people scared (or paranoid) and this is why everyone is buying up ammo. The .22 caliber is the most widely owned caliber in the USA and hence, everyone and their grandmother is buying the stuff up.

elsid13 04-16-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3829821)
But why hollow point ammo? Why is DHS buying hollow point ammo for target practice? Hollow point ammo is way more expensive. I'll give them a pass on buying .40S&W ammo because it is the most popular law enforcement ammo but that is usually with local law enforcment, like sherrif departments and city police. The feds is another question, I'm not so sure they don't go with the standard NATO 9mm round because that is what the US Military uses, so buying in bulk for the feds make sense, no?

Fact is, the current administration has people scared (or paranoid) and this is why everyone is buying up ammo. The .22 caliber is the most widely owned caliber in the USA and hence, everyone and their grandmother is buying the stuff up.

I have not read the contract with ATK, but it is a IDIQ and I'm sure that there are multiply CLIN (Contract Line Items) where DHS can place order against each line item dependent on the demand. So most likely there is a CLIN for Hollow Points and another for regular Full Metal Jacket.

peacepipe 04-16-2013 03:49 PM

Damn,it amazes me that as many times as this story gets debunked that people are still peddling it.

mhgaffney 04-17-2013 07:32 PM

Who's doing the debunking? Did you check?

The FEMA camps are real -- not some fantasy.