The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ten Best drafts of the Decade: Denver at #7 (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110695)

04-15-2013 04:35 AM

Ten Best drafts of the Decade: Denver at #7

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...source=taboola

7. Denver Broncos, 2006

The Players: Jay Cutler (1st round), Brandon Marshall (4th round); Elvis Dumervil (4th round); Chris Kuper (5th round); Tony Scheffler (2nd round); Domenik Hixon (4th round).

The Verdict: The Dumervil Fax Massacre of 2013 was emblematic of this draft: a Super Bowl opportunity squandered for ridiculous reasons. Say what you will about Cutler, but he led the Bears to the NFC Championship game while the Broncos went 4-12 behind Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow. Marshall can be a handful too, but not as much a handful as Josh McDaniels, the head coach/boy emperor who traded away most of the Broncos resources just to assert his authority.

Scheffler remains a productive role player, but for another team. The Broncos gave up on Hixon before he became a medical case file; the oft-injured receiver/returner played a major part in the Giants 2007 Super Bowl run and has been part of the perennial contenders, shuttling from the PUP list to the lineup, ever since. Only Kuper and Dumervil remained in Denver last year, and Kuper better watch out for malfunctioning mimeographs or faulty answering machines. Few teams have drafted as well as the Broncos in 2006 and gotten so little in return.

04-15-2013 07:01 AM

Denver should be at 1.

TheReverend 04-15-2013 07:11 AM

It's taken a long time to get over the sting of dumping those guys for nothing.

Articles like this don't help.

Bigdawg26 04-15-2013 07:30 AM

As a scientist, I find the cowboys 2005 draft analysis freakin hilarious and so true.

Pony Boy 04-15-2013 08:02 AM

Rahim Moore says "just wait, you ain't seen nothin yet"........

Requiem 04-15-2013 08:02 AM

That draft was epic.

SoCalBronco 04-15-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3829118)

True....but its nice that there is some outside validation of what we knew to be true from the start. Thanks for ruining everything McD and old man. Stupid douches.

Tombstone RJ 04-15-2013 08:28 AM

http://i.imgur.com/8Ccf3.png

ludo21 04-15-2013 09:45 AM

Best Shanny draft every...
damn i miss Cutler and Marshall still. I am with Rev, dumping them sucked (had to dumb bmarsh) but dang that sucked

BroncoMan4ever 04-15-2013 10:18 AM

at the time as much as dumping these guys sucked, i think we are better off for it. Cutler isn't an elite QB and after 7 seasons he isn't looking like he will become one. Marshall is a great receiver but a massive headache and DT has filled his role anyway. Doom is the one that hurts because of his contributions to this franchise.

pricejj 04-15-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3829092)

The Players: Jay Cutler (1st round), Brandon Marshall (4th round); Elvis Dumervil (4th round); Chris Kuper (5th round); Tony Scheffler (2nd round); Domenik Hixon (4th round).

The story doesn't end there. Denver had the rights to draft picks which were used to select Earl Thomas, Mike Wallace, Aaron Hernandez, and Dennis Pitta, but gave them away.

All the Broncos have left to show is Robert Ayers and Orlando Franklin.

Punisher 04-15-2013 11:29 AM

That draft is all about Hixon

BroncoSojia 04-15-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3829176)
at the time as much as dumping these guys sucked, i think we are better off for it. Cutler isn't an elite QB and after 7 seasons he isn't looking like he will become one. Marshall is a great receiver but a massive headache and DT has filled his role anyway. Doom is the one that hurts because of his contributions to this franchise.

I've gotten over the fact that we let them go (Marshall needed to go, and Cutler's situation has been beat to death time and time again)

What I struggle to get over is that we pretty much blew the all the picks we got for them on horrible draft choices and terrible trades.

I mean the 2009 draft was an abomination. Over drafting Ayers in the first, after one decent year in college and he didn't even fit our scheme then. We could've took Clay at that spot or Orackpo with our earlier pick.

Also, trading a first for a 2nd to take a slow, midget CB who we cut the following year, and trading two 3rds to move back in to the 2nd and take a primary blocking TE that was projected by most scouts to go 3-4 rounds later.

Tim Tebow was a bad choice as well, although we made up for that a bit with our later picks in that draft.

This isn't hindsight, BTW. Most people first guested these picks/trades when they happened. (aside from the McD nuthuggers)

Just really bad management of assets and I'm glad the guy that's responsible is long gone.

cutthemdown 04-15-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3829118)

Well without Mcdaniels dumping Marshall i doubt we have DT. Which one would you rather have right now? Then would you rather have Manning for 3-4 yrs now or what Cutler is doing in Chicago for his career. That one would be close as Cutler is still young. Then there was Hillis who people loved but he really hasn't done much.

I just don't miss those guys at all but marshall was a stud on my fantasy team last year. I still love him as a player its just once DT came on I forgot about him. DT IMO has even more ability to get deep and in the end will be better at scoring TDS.

cutthemdown 04-15-2013 05:45 PM

Seriously though you can go to the drafts and moves of many teams make and find horrid moves like the Broncos have. Truth is 100's of players get drafted each yr and very few of them become impact players. Trades and FA moves seem to only work out half the time. Look at Marshall Miami didn't even keep him that long before moving him to Chicago. Cutler is coming up for a contract i can't wait to see what he gets or what Chicago does.

IMO you may see them select a young QB with upside in this draft.

UberBroncoMan 04-15-2013 05:57 PM

4 Pro-Bowl players in one draft... yeah, one of the best drafts around. Definitely shouldn't have been #7. Arguably #1. However, if the author wants to count the impact of the players, given we're down to one left, then yeah, not #1.

bowtown 04-15-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricejj (Post 3829202)
The story doesn't end there. Denver had the rights to draft picks which were used to select Earl Thomas, Mike Wallace, Aaron Hernandez, and Dennis Pitta, but gave them away.

All the Broncos have left to show is Robert Ayers and Orlando Franklin.

How does Franklin play into it? He was drafted in 2011.

Kaylore 04-15-2013 06:41 PM

Shanafan's can play toast in this thread for days.

errand 04-15-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoSojia (Post 3829216)
I've gotten over the fact that we let them go (Marshall needed to go, and Cutler's situation has been beat to death time and time again)

What I struggle to get over is that we pretty much blew the all the picks we got for them on horrible draft choices and terrible trades.

I mean the 2009 draft was an abomination. Over drafting Ayers in the first, after one decent year in college and he didn't even fit our scheme then. We could've took Clay at that spot or Orackpo with our earlier pick.

Also, trading a first for a 2nd to take a slow, midget CB who we cut the following year, and trading two 3rds to move back in to the 2nd and take a primary blocking TE that was projected by most scouts to go 3-4 rounds later.

Tim Tebow was a bad choice as well, although we made up for that a bit with our later picks in that draft.

This isn't hindsight, BTW. Most people first guested these picks/trades when they happened. (aside from the McD nuthuggers)

Just really bad management of assets and I'm glad the guy that's responsible is long gone.

Ummm, we traded Alphonso Smith to Detroit...and Tim Tebow was drafted in 2010....just saying.

BroncoSojia 04-15-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by errand (Post 3829389)
Ummm, we traded Alphonso Smith to Detroit...and Tim Tebow was drafted in 2010....just saying.

Yeah I forgot, we got Dan Gronkowski for him right? I think he was cut before the 2011 season.

I was talking about the 2010 draft when I mention Tebow, although I should've been more clearer.

TheChamp24 04-15-2013 07:45 PM

What I find kinda laughable is that this list has 2012 drafts on it. Seriously?

But this draft shows how important a player's character and attitude are. Marshall, and to an extent, Cutler both showed themselves to be a bit problematic mentally with the game.
Other than that, Scheffler and Hixon did squat for us(both injured beyond belief), Kuper's battled some tough injuries and then you have Dumervil, who was overpaid and decided to play chicken apparently.

04-15-2013 07:53 PM

after looking at the list again, the chargers 04-05 drafts were loaded. Too bad AJ let all the good players walk away in FA for no compensation.Hilarious!

Archer81 04-15-2013 07:55 PM

**** happens.

:Broncos:

errand 04-15-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoSojia (Post 3829395)
Yeah I forgot, we got Dan Gronkowski for him right? I think he was cut before the 2011 season.

I was talking about the 2010 draft when I mention Tebow, although I should've been more clearer.

No problem....just wanted to clarify.

Doesn't change your valid point some coach or players wasted some serious talent drafted by the Broncos

KipCorrington25 04-17-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChamp24 (Post 3829409)
What I find kinda laughable is that this list has 2012 drafts on it. Seriously?

But this draft shows how important a player's character and attitude are. Marshall, and to an extent, Cutler both showed themselves to be a bit problematic mentally with the game.

Maybe, but hard to swallow when McCheat is the one deciding this, him with the **** for brains and all.