The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   R.I.P. Chi Cheng. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110688)

Requiem 04-13-2013 08:41 PM

R.I.P. Chi Cheng.

Deftones Bassist Chi Cheng passed away today after being in a coma since a car accident in 2008. One of my biggest musical influences and a reason I started playing music. RIP, Chi. May your soul travel safely to where it needs to go.

ONE LOVE FOR CHI!

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/.../Chi+Cheng.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf...ydflo1_500.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JJeBSMTapz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

broncocalijohn 04-13-2013 11:07 PM

Deftones had some great music and did not realize he had been in a coma for that long. RIP!

McDman 04-13-2013 11:41 PM

I have definitely made sure my family knows if I am in a coma that long to pull the plug.

Requiem 04-14-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncocalijohn (Post 3828711)
Deftones had some great music and did not realize he had been in a coma for that long. RIP!

Well, it was sort of like a semi-coma. He could move some fingers and had some feeling in his extremities, would open his eyes and look at his friends and would respond to music and words, but not with his own words ya know? Had the pleasure of meeting him at the Taste of Chaos Tour when they were supporting their self-titled album. I didn't expect him to be such a chill dude. Took ten minutes just to shoot the **** with me. Just a humble guy. It just breaks my heart. Sergio Vega fits in awesome with the band now, but it just isn't the same. Chi's stage presence was unparalleled.

cmhargrove 04-14-2013 06:24 AM

I'll be honest here, I am familiar with music from the Deftones, but not the individual band members. It always sucks when people with so much potential die early.

Boy, the coma question is really tough. Some people are just fighters and you keep thinking they have the ability to pull through. But five years? Man, that would be tough. Sounds like he was a good guy, too bad.

Requiem 04-14-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhargrove (Post 3828760)
I'll be honest here, I am familiar with music from the Deftones, but not the individual band members. It always sucks when people with so much potential die early.

Boy, the coma question is really tough. Some people are just fighters and you keep thinking they have the ability to pull through. But five years? Man, that would be tough. Sounds like he was a good guy, too bad.

Yeah. I can't imagine the toll it took on the band. . . They were on the verge of just calling it quits as they were recording Lovers (which has not been released because was they were finalizing it -- the accident happened). He had showed a lot of signs of improvement, so they kept him alive. If it was me in that state, I'd of just wanted to pull the plug. But the guy was a big spirit and we all had hope he would be jammin' again.

Unfortunately, no.

Hopefully they release Lovers in honor of his memory. What I heard from it (that they leaked) was absolutely blistering.

Ray Finkle 04-15-2013 07:01 AM

They haven't sounded the same without him....RIP.

Requiem 04-15-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Finkle (Post 3829115)
They haven't sounded the same without him....RIP.

Definitely not. Sergio isn't bad, but the vibe isn't the same. Not on the albums or live. I thought Koi No Yokan was AWESOME, but it still doesn't compare to Around The Fur, White Pony and Self-Titled. Those were all legendary, IMO.

peacepipe 04-15-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3828759)
Well, it was sort of like a semi-coma. He could move some fingers and had some feeling in his extremities, would open his eyes and look at his friends and would respond to music and words, but not with his own words ya know? Had the pleasure of meeting him at the Taste of Chaos Tour when they were supporting their self-titled album. I didn't expect him to be such a chill dude. Took ten minutes just to shoot the **** with me. Just a humble guy. It just breaks my heart. Sergio Vega fits in awesome with the band now, but it just isn't the same. Chi's stage presence was unparalleled.

The entire band is pretty cool,met them yrs back when I worked at the bayou in DC.

04-15-2013 09:07 AM

wow, should have pulled the plug on him a long time ago. What were they thinking?

04-15-2013 10:19 AM

Damn, I had no idea. This sucks. His sound and style was unique. I watched a video of them play Cherry Waves on Saturday Night Wrist played with and without him and it just isn't close to the same. His style made the mellow, anti-melody work as is obvious in the brilliant White Pony. They just don't have that with their new stuff and was a big part of that.

Requiem 04-15-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3829148)
wow, should have pulled the plug on him a long time ago. What were they thinking?

Like I said, he showed signs of improvement over the past few years. Everyone had hope he would be rocking again someday. Don't be lame.

91BRONCO 04-15-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3829148)

He showed signs of improvement after they put him on some new experimental medication. From what I understand it started to look promising but the new meds did not progress the same throughout treatment.

Very sad.

Ray Finkle 04-15-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3829129)
Definitely not. Sergio isn't bad, but the vibe isn't the same. Not on the albums or live. I thought Koi No Yokan was AWESOME, but it still doesn't compare to Around The Fur, White Pony and Self-Titled. Those were all legendary, IMO.

I agree.

I think the Adrenaline was their best even though people may only know it for 7 words....White Pony and Around the Fur had more commercial success but the first is still my favorite.

That being said, I still by every album the day it comes out.

ak1971 04-15-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3828759)

Did you get to see Quicksand on this short tour they just did? Started listing to the deftones a lot more after that...didnt really know the story about why Vega was playing with them

Requiem 04-15-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak1971 (Post 3829384)
Did you get to see Quicksand on this short tour they just did? Started listing to the deftones a lot more after that...didnt really know the story about why Vega was playing with them

No, I haven't ever seen Quicksand. But yeah, Chi's absence from the Deftones because of his coma and now death is why Vega is with them. He is good, but it is just different.

04-16-2013 08:44 AM

Not really on the topic of Chi but has anyone on here heard their live versions of Weezer songs? Surprisingly awesome.

Requiem 04-16-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnykbr (Post 3829548)
Not really on the topic of Chi but has anyone on here heard their live versions of Weezer songs? Surprisingly awesome.

Yeah, definitely. Chino loves Weezer, but I have heard rumors that Rivers Cuomo (frontman of Weezer) absolutely abhors the Deftones for some reason and even trashed one of their backstage set ups one time. Not sure if that is true, but Rivers is an a-hole anyways. Haven't listened to Weezer since Maladroit dropped and my ex-GF has that CD. Good banging tunes.

04-16-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3829550)
Yeah, definitely. Chino loves Weezer, but I have heard rumors that Rivers Cuomo (frontman of Weezer) absolutely abhors the Deftones for some reason and even trashed one of their backstage set ups one time. Not sure if that is true, but Rivers is an a-hole anyways. Haven't listened to Weezer since Maladroit dropped and my ex-GF has that CD. Good banging tunes.

I haven't heard them cover any of Weezer's material after Pinkerton so it wouldn't surprise me that something happened...or Chino just recognizes when there is talent involved and when their isn't.

I spoke with Matt Sharp once who pretty much said the exact same thing about Rivers. Matt was the heart and soul of behind Weezer's first two albums.

04-16-2013 09:35 AM

An Asian with dreds. That's a new one. Is there a word for an Asian whigger?

I can't imagine why they'd keep someone in obvious very poor condition alive for so long. This has to cross into the territory of torture somewhere along the line.

Requiem 04-16-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3829582)
An Asian with dreds. That's a new one. Is there a word for an Asian whigger?

I can't imagine why they'd keep someone in obvious very poor condition alive for so long. This has to cross into the territory of torture somewhere along the line.

Because you are an idiot. It's too bad you are still around and Chi is dead.