The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Old vs New.... Camaro's racing (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110680)

OBF1 04-12-2013 01:42 PM

Old vs New.... Camaro's racing
 
So, A guy posted a youtube video from the local races last night and it has my brothers 67 Camaro racing a new Gen Camaro SS. After watching the video, I have lost all respect for the new generation Camaro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgf7E...ature=youtu.be

For reference my bothers Camaro is running a 565 ci naturally aspirated motor.

hades 04-12-2013 01:47 PM

Well, not taking anything away from your brother, but his isn't stock, so it should hand the other guy his azz (like he did). Bet the other guy drove to the track in his car, and drove home, your brothers is taken on a trailer since it most likely is not street legal.

Probably also weighs a lot less than these new cars which are all pigs.

His Camaro is sweet, and I'm a Mustang guy!

OBF1 04-12-2013 01:53 PM

I understand what you are saying, but my brothers every day driver is a 2012 RS/SS Camaro 6 speed. I have driven the new car and "Thought" it was quick until seeing this.

You are right, My brothers car is not close to street legal and it is brought to the track on a trailer. Tube chassis, tubbed rear end, His best time at the track is a 8:42 qtr mile and he is still learning to drive the beast as they are still dialing it in. Just a hair over 1,000 hp.

Denver Bronco56 04-12-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBF1 (Post 3828272)
So, A guy posted a youtube video from the local races last night and it has my brothers 67 Camaro racing a new Gen Camaro SS. After watching the video, I have lost all respect for the new generation Camaro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgf7E...ature=youtu.be

For reference my bothers Camaro is running a 565 ci naturally aspirated motor.


They are newer thus have newer technology and gadgets...but all that also brings WEIGHT.


I have a 2002 SS Camaro 6 speed. I have a very mild cam and heads combo, full exhaust and gears in my rear end.

My brother has a 2012 Camaro SS 6 speed stock mind you, but unless i mis shift or cant catch traction he doesnt stand a chance on the highway or from a stop.



GM(and any car company) has started making their sports car more appealing to the public, instead of making good sports cars, the result is heavy cars. Also for ride comfort they have opted to go the independant rear suspension this causing any cars with power and rapid acceleration to gain wheel hop and trouble to gain traction. Many cobra owners i know have opted to replace their stock suspension to solid rear end found in the GT models.


for reference.

2012 camaro SS (Bone Stock)
Weight - 3860 lbs

2002 camaro SS (Fully Loaded)
Weight - 3310 lbs




The main thing is how you like the car, i want a SPORTS car to be that. If i wanted a luxary car i would buy one...now days what were american muscle staples such as challenger, mustang, camaro are not anymore and you can feel it driving one.

Pony Boy 04-12-2013 03:05 PM

I owned a 68 camero with the standard 327 4-speed when I first moved to Denver in the 70's. I lived in a cheap apartment in north Denver and woke up one morning and it was gone, never to be seen again. It was a sweet car but certainly not considered a muscle car. I rode a 250cc dirt bike to work for several months (sometimes in the snow) until I could buy another car.

cmhargrove 04-12-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 (Post 3828276)
They are newer thus have newer technology and gadgets...but all that also brings WEIGHT.


I have a 2002 SS Camaro 6 speed. I have a very mild cam and heads combo, full exhaust and gears in my rear end.

My brother has a 2012 Camaro SS 6 speed stock mind you, but unless i mis shift or cant catch traction he doesnt stand a chance on the highway or from a stop.



GM(and any car company) has started making their sports car more appealing to the public, instead of making good sports cars, the result is heavy cars. Also for ride comfort they have opted to go the independant rear suspension this causing any cars with power and rapid acceleration to gain wheel hop and trouble to gain traction. Many cobra owners i know have opted to replace their stock suspension to solid rear end found in the GT models.


for reference.

2012 camaro SS (Bone Stock)
Weight - 3860 lbs

2002 camaro SS (Fully Loaded)
Weight - 3310 lbs




The main thing is how you like the car, i want a SPORTS car to be that. If i wanted a luxary car i would buy one...now days what were american muscle staples such as challenger, mustang, camaro are not anymore and you can feel it driving one.

I'm going to agree on everything but the last sentence. I just picked up a new 2013 Mustang GT last weekend and the 420hp Coyote engine is the most powerful stock engine Mustang has ever produced (barring Shelby products). That car is extremely comfortable, yet I can easily light up the wheels through third gear (even with traction control on). The new Camaros drive heavy, but the new Mustangs are fun as hell.

I'm putting in a short throw shifter, new exhaust, and a ram air hood next week (and thus, the mods begin).

oubronco 04-12-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony Boy (Post 3828302)
I owned a 68 camero with the standard 327 4-speed when I first moved to Denver in the 70's. I lived in a cheap apartment in north Denver and woke up one morning and it was gone, never to be seen again. It was a sweet car but certainly not considered a muscle car. I rode a 250cc dirt bike to work for several months (sometimes in the snow) until I could buy another car.

Dude that sucks that was one sweet car back in the day

broncosteven 04-12-2013 04:25 PM

Did I suddenly stumble into a kFc board?

What is next a thread about the best Mullet?

OMG!!!

pricejj 04-12-2013 04:35 PM

That is one fine piece of machinery

Tombstone RJ 04-12-2013 04:45 PM

b****n' camaro!
b****n' camaro!
b****n' camaro!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1v3CzvQ9e_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dr. Broncenstein 04-12-2013 05:08 PM

Hahaha I love the Dead Milkmen. Biatchin Camero.

broncocalijohn 04-12-2013 05:14 PM

So Dimitri's brother is a KC fan. Who knew? Time to end this before the Chiefs' trolls start rolling over here.

Tombstone RJ 04-12-2013 05:22 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/73kl6R-hQO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OBF1 04-12-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncocalijohn (Post 3828358)
So Dimitri's brother is a KC fan. Who knew? Time to end this before the Chiefs' trolls start rolling over here.

No he is not, He has also been a Bronco fan since the 70's. Funny thing here... He also lives behind the Orange curtain... Just like you do :rofl:

PS: Way too many KC trolls already here, you guys keep giving them reasons to be here.

hades 04-12-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhargrove (Post 3828317)
I'm going to agree on everything but the last sentence. I just picked up a new 2013 Mustang GT last weekend and the 420hp Coyote engine is the most powerful stock engine Mustang has ever produced (barring Shelby products). That car is extremely comfortable, yet I can easily light up the wheels through third gear (even with traction control on). The new Camaros drive heavy, but the new Mustangs are fun as hell.

I'm putting in a short throw shifter, new exhaust, and a ram air hood next week (and thus, the mods begin).

What color?

What exhaust you putting on? I added Flowmaster 2 chamber 40's, aggressive sound, not raspy.

Do NOT put a K&N airfilter, many dyno runs prove it looses horsepower.

And you're right, these things feel really powerful. Way more powerful than my supercharged 01, and even the 01 with twin turbo's on the low boost setting.

Good choice in cars!

cmhargrove 04-12-2013 06:01 PM

The exhaust is an MRT Interceptor. If you haven't heard it, holy ****! It is one of the deepest, best sounding axle-backs I have ever heard. Very low tone on startup, very beefy sound through the RPM band, but almost silent in 5th and 6th gear on the highway. I heard it in another 2013 GT then bought it on the spot.

When I do the cold air intake, I'm doing the JLT Big Air with the Bama Tuner from American Muscle. I'll also add the 3:73 rear differential at that point, but I'm going to wait for a bit to figure out which local dealers will be more lenient on factory parts/ warranty issues.

I got Sterling Gray, and will add some Azure Blue Metallic accent stripes next week when I get the other work done.

I'll definitely post pics when I get the car back in a week or so.

broncosteven 04-12-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3828364)
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/73kl6R-hQO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was into Duke of Hazzard up until the episode when they turned the General Lee into a 4x4. I could put up with all those jumps and hijinks but when they turned it into a 4x4 for an episode I thought, not cool, no amount of short shorts will make me watch this crap!

DBroncos4life 04-12-2013 06:30 PM

The new Z28 is going to be sick.

Remember when there was a bit of consternation among the Bowtie faithful after Chevrolet introduced the Camaro ZL1? The issue wasn't around the big coupe's awesome performance, it was with the name many wondered why the company hadn't chosen to exhume the company's legendary Z/28 moniker. There was a bit less of an outcry when Chevy showed off the 1LE model, but only just. Well, apparently there's a good reason why the Z/28 nameplate wasn't used because they were saving it for this bad boy.

Powered by Chevrolet's 7.0-liter LS7 small block V8 (also found in the C6 Corvette), the 2014 Camaro Z/28 looks to offer massive track performance above and beyond the already capable 1LE. Chevy hasn't released official power ratings yet, saying only that the Z/28 will deliver "at least 500 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque" the supercharged 6.2-liter LSA found in the ZL1 dispenses 580 horsepower, so the track-focused Z/28 probably won't be the most powerful Camaro on offer.


http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/27/2...-z28-new-york/

Requiem 04-12-2013 07:05 PM

I hope my dad sells his 90s Vette and upgrades to one of the new Camaro's.

Fedaykin 04-12-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBF1 (Post 3828272)
So, A guy posted a youtube video from the local races last night and it has my brothers 67 Camaro racing a new Gen Camaro SS. After watching the video, I have lost all respect for the new generation Camaro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgf7E...ature=youtu.be

For reference my bothers Camaro is running a 565 ci naturally aspirated motor.

Wow, you mean a race modified car does better than a street car? Say it ain't so!

OBF1 04-12-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedaykin (Post 3828433)
Wow, you mean a race modified car does better than a street car? Say it ain't so!

What gets me is that it is naturally aspirated and just totally ran through, over and around the other car.

Fedaykin 04-12-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBF1 (Post 3828454)
What gets me is that it is naturally aspirated and just totally ran through, over and around the other car.

That's an impressive car, don't get me wrong. No disrespect to it. Just, why compare it to a stock production model with a much smaller displacement? It's no surprise that a highly tuned, naturally aspirated 565 blows away a stock, naturally aspirated 376 ;)

It would be cool to see an hp/torque curve =)

OBF1 04-13-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedaykin (Post 3828464)
That's an impressive car, don't get me wrong. No disrespect to it. Just, why compare it to a stock production model with a much smaller displacement? It's no surprise that a highly tuned, naturally aspirated 565 blows away a stock, naturally aspirated 376 ;)

It would be cool to see an hp/torque curve =)

I am not surprised that he beat the other car, I just thought they were faster than that. After seeing his car the last couple of seasons with the smaller motor beating all the guys on their 1000 and 1100 street bikes. All I can figure is that I never seen him run against a plain old stock street car and that does make one hell of a difference.

Jetmeck 04-13-2013 03:17 AM

I grewup at the end of the 70's impressive Detroit muscle with 455 engines from three different manufactures and so on. Then came the late 70s and 80s where everyhting was detuned and sized down as in 305 being the only engine you could get in a Camaro for a while.

While I am still a Trans Am guy you gotta love 400-525hp stock with a 6 speed and killer brakes and suspension from the factory. Even in the 70s with killer hp ratings they weren't this high and had ****ty brakes and suspension and maybe a 4 speed.

Whats not to like............even I would not want to modify a new Camaro or Mustang except for the ugly looks of the things............lol

Had a 79 TA as a teen with the long front end and huge bird with shaker hood...........real looker in the day but it had 2.73 gears, auto and the OLDS 403 pathetic 185 hp.

But for the day it was adequate and it was a chick magnet.

These days I roll a 89 Pontiac Trans Am GTA....red with gold wheels, leather, 350, t-tops, perfect condition with 9,000 miles.

Only 250hp but I keep convincing myself not to mod her with the low miles..............

Second TA is an 87 with the lowly 305 with 37,000 on it.

Its been modded just a bit.........with the TPI and 3.73 gears she is quick light to light.


Love to have the looks of yesterday with the power and suspension of today.

Tombstone RJ 04-13-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3828379)
I was into Duke of Hazzard up until the episode when they turned the General Lee into a 4x4. I could put up with all those jumps and hijinks but when they turned it into a 4x4 for an episode I thought, not cool, no amount of short shorts will make me watch this crap!

I don't remember that!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.