The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   NFL Draft Forum (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   JDR on the road (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110620)

DBroncos4life 04-02-2013 01:44 PM

JDR on the road

It's always difficult to handicap the NFL draft. Things often don't go the way those who make the picks expect.

There are few things more difficult to predict than how the draft will go at the bottom of the first round.

Which brings us to the Broncos, who sit with the 28th selection in the opening round. The only time in franchise history they picked 28th, they went with a defensive tackle, in the 1997 draft, named Trevor Pryce.

Not bad.

They would be fine with that kind of success this time around, and the strength of this board will be on the defensive line. There are a bevy of defensive tackles and defensive end prospects for a team such as the Broncos to consider. But with needs at cornerback and inside linebacker, it seems defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio will have a lot to say about who comes off the board first for the Broncos this time around.

Del Rio routinely makes the rounds of several pro days. This year he went to Georgia's, Florida State's and Alabama's pro days. Granted, half the free world showed up to the Crimson Tide's workout in Tuscaloosa, but Del Rio was the most prominent among the Broncos' contingent.

At Georgia, Del Rio saw a player who not only is one of the most talented at his position, but a guy who carries some of the biggest question marks.

There are plenty of questions about Bulldogs linebacker Alec Ogletree's maturity and off-the-field behavior, including an arrest for driving under the influence just before the combine and a suspension this past season for a violation of the school's marijuana policy.

Ogletree has left some teams shaking their heads. Some scouts said he responded to questions about both incidents as the "only" times he had done something like that. Those weren't the answers those teams were looking for, to be sure.

Also at Georgia were defensive tackle John Jenkins, safeties Bacarri Rambo and Shawn Williams and cornerback Sanders Commings. Commings, one of the biggest cornerbacks on the board, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.41 seconds at the combine after he weighed in at 216 pounds.

At Florida State, the Broncos have kept an eye on defensive lineman Tank Carradine's recovery from ACL surgery this past season, but it's uncertain whether he will be on the board at No. 28 if he shows significant progress in his recovery at an April 20 workout.

Seminoles cornerback Xavier Rhodes is another player of interest, but most teams have him slotted higher than 28th.

The list of Alabama prospects is long, but of particular interest on defense for the Crimson Tide are linebacker Nico Johnson, who had surgery to repair a sports hernia after the season; defensive tackle Jesse Williams, who had knee surgery after the season; and safety Robert Lester. Lester, at 220 pounds, is one of the bigger safeties on the board. He ran the 40 in 4.60 at the combine and at pro day.

Broncos coach John Fox has taken a big safety and moved him to linebacker previously in his coaching career, doing so with former Georgia safety Thomas Davis. In the right scheme, Lester would be a candidate for such a move.

Read more: Broncos' Jack Del Rio has hit the road to see some players of interest - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2PLC1OZN8
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Tombstone RJ 04-02-2013 02:38 PM

I'm all for the coaching staff to have imput on potential draft picks, but I don't want Elway to pick players based on the coaches opinions. JDR does not get paid to scout players, he gets paid to coach the players. I want Elway to listen to the people who get paid to scout the players and draft accordingly. I want Elway to listen to his scouts and trust his own eye for talent. Sure, take input from the coaches because you want everyone to be happy about who is drafted, but you don't let the coaches dictate the player personel.

OBF1 04-02-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3824353)
I'm all for the coaching staff to have imput on potential draft picks, but I don't want Elway to pick players based on the coaches opinions. JDR does not get paid to scout players, he gets paid to coach the players. I want Elway to listen to the people who get paid to scout the players and draft accordingly. I want Elway to listen to his scouts and trust his own eye for talent. Sure, take input from the coaches because you want everyone to be happy about who is drafted, but you don't let the coaches dictate the player personel.

Signed,

Mike Shanahan.

04-02-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

This is somewhat true. But you want your coaches to be watching film and involved in the scouting, interviewing, and decision process. After all who knows what the defense needs more than our Defensive Coordinator. I'm sure the scouts rank their top prospects and the coaches go through the film on those players. So while you don't want a coach to make the executive decision, which should be the GM/Presidents job, but he should and will take all input and opinions of the panel.

I think JDR was HUGE on Wolfe last year at the Senior Bowl.. Just throwing that out there..

Mediator12 04-02-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

The seperation between Scouts and Coaches used to be like this even 15 years ago in the poor drafting organizations. However, it is a lot more complicated than that now, and mostly for the better.

The Area scouts determine pure talent and give them a base grade as a player, develop as much backround and character information as possible, and then they submit a second grade based on the system DEN runs. Then, a second scout will independently evaluate that player for both graded portions and double check the backround question marks from the first report.

After that, the national scout and college scouting directors review the players grades submitted and add a third round of independent grades to the player. These are the precombine draft grades that all teams have on a player.

After the combine, and during the prodays the position coaches and the Coordinators get a report based on those initial grades and crosscheck the players. So, a Secondary coach would do his positions and then maybe DE's as well. LB's coach would do all LB's and then safeties as well etc. These grades will also have all the medical, character, interviews from Post season games, combine official and unofficial interviews incorporated as well as their on field grades for the first time. Most players now have 4 grades associated at this point. Overall grade, System grade, Football Character, and Personal Character.

The Coaching staff pays particular attention to the system grade and helps provide feedback to the Area scouts on what they are looking for. They really get involved in that aspect and the football character if they know the coaches the player played for in college. It's a small fraternity, and often one coach on staff will know the coach personally and inquire about the character reports as well. The personal relationships help in getting more accurate information on character as no college coach wants to tarnish their "upward mobile" relationships to the NFL in most cases.

The GM and other Front office staff will be in full player review mode as well. They will have taken preliminary notes on players and added them to the grades. They will pay attention to the establishment of their Draft board and the Overall grades more here.

The March Scouting meetings will be a final crosscheck by other area scouts and the establishment of the draft board will be in full swing. They will start differentiating from other teams here and the coaches will have a say on the individual player rankings at this point. This is where it can get dicey between scouts and Coaches, unless there is a strong GM and national scout. Once they set the final board and commit to the draft strategy, it's all up to the GM to make the picks.

It's why DEN moved back last year to get Wolfe and still get value down the line. SEA went ahead and took Bruce Irvin because they were not convinced they could move to a point where they were able to get him later. The overall strategy early changes all too often as players are misevaluated overall, reached for due to need, and missing team intentions on a certain player. I think it is the most fascinating process to watch unfold and analyze later.

Rohirrim 04-03-2013 07:29 AM

Mike Tice

pricejj 04-03-2013 08:10 AM

JDR goes to Alabama, Georgia, and Florida State...

You can bet they're gunning for Tank Carradine. Too bad he's projected higher than #28 now.

Not sure who in their right mind would pick Barkevious Mingo or Datone Jones over Carradine. You could probably put Ezekiel Ansah and Sheldon Richardson into that group too. Lots of hype with most of the DL/edge-rushers in this draft.

oubronco 04-03-2013 12:34 PM

I would not be surprised if it's Xavier Rhodes if he's there at 28

04-03-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricejj (Post 3824568)
Not sure who in their right mind would pick Barkevious Mingo or Datone Jones over Carradine. You could probably put Ezekiel Ansah and Sheldon Richardson into that group too.

What makes you think Richardson is overhyped?

04-03-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricejj (Post 3824568)
JDR goes to Alabama, Georgia, and Florida State...

You can bet they're gunning for Tank Carradine. Too bad he's projected higher than #28 now.

Not sure who in their right mind would pick Barkevious Mingo or Datone Jones over Carradine. You could probably put Ezekiel Ansah and Sheldon Richardson into that group too. Lots of hype with most of the DL/edge-rushers in this draft.

Won't some of those convert to OLB in a 3-4? Pretty sure mingo and ansah will. I'd rather see tank in a 4-3

As far as coaches making personnel decisions, I'm not a big fan of it. Coaches tend to make decisions that benefit them in the shorter term to keep their jobs safe, where as a GM looks years beyond

pricejj 04-03-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shananahan (Post 3824917)
What makes you think Richardson is overhyped?

Eh nevermind, Richardson is a pretty good player, he's strong, he's quick, and has great tackle production. Can't ask for much more than that. He's worthy of a top 20 pick in this draft.

pricejj 04-03-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3824921)

As far as coaches making personnel decisions, I'm not a big fan of it. Coaches tend to make decisions that benefit them in the shorter term to keep their jobs safe, where as a GM looks years beyond

I'm glad JDR was pushing for Wolfe last year, otherwise the Broncos wouldn't have made that pick.

I would be excited with a potential Carradine pick too.

In fact, I would be more comfortable knowing that Elway/Fox/JDR/Russell are making the Defensive 1st round pick, than if it was strictly on Elway and Matt Russell. There's a ton of Defensive knowledge on the Broncos staff now, and picking by committee is the best way to come out with the best players...sure beats Shanahan as GM.

In the later rounds, I trust Matt Russell and the scouts to unearth the talent, and present it to everybody else. Trevathan, Beal, Blake, and Bolden were all great picks on paper. The Chris Harris pick-up was phenomenal. They know what they're doing (by picking productive football players) in the later rounds.

Tombstone RJ 04-04-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricejj (Post 3824933)
I'm glad JDR was pushing for Wolfe last year, otherwise the Broncos wouldn't have made that pick.

I would be excited with a potential Carradine pick too.

In fact, I would be more comfortable knowing that Elway/Fox/JDR/Russell are making the Defensive 1st round pick, than if it was strictly on Elway and Matt Russell. There's a ton of Defensive knowledge on the Broncos staff now, and picking by committee is the best way to come out with the best players...sure beats Shanahan as GM.

In the later rounds, I trust Matt Russell and the scouts to unearth the talent, and present it to everybody else. Trevathan, Beal, Blake, and Bolden were all great picks on paper. The Chris Harris pick-up was phenomenal. They know what they're doing (by picking productive football players) in the later rounds.

How do you know this? This is the type of statement that tells me you are a moron. You are not in the Broncos front office, you were not in the draft room, you have no idea if the Broncos would have drafted Wolfe if JDR was part of the coaching staff or not. You are completely talking out your ass.

Lestat 04-05-2013 02:54 PM

Lester moved to LB would be a bad idea. i like him better as a SS who is mostly run support.

pricejj 04-05-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3825057)
How do you know this? This is the type of statement that tells me you are a moron. You are not in the Broncos front office, you were not in the draft room, you have no idea if the Broncos would have drafted Wolfe if JDR was part of the coaching staff or not. You are completely talking out your ass.

"When it came time for the Broncos to choose from an assortment of quality defensive tackles in the draft, somebody had to speak first.
It was Jack Del Rio who became the influential voice. Unemployed when he showed up at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., during Super Bowl week, Del Rio kept giving standout marks to a relentless, tough kid named Derek Wolfe."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...er-derek-wolfe

Tombstone RJ 04-06-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricejj (Post 3825753)
"When it came time for the Broncos to choose from an assortment of quality defensive tackles in the draft, somebody had to speak first. It was Jack Del Rio who became the influential voice. Unemployed when he showed up at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., during Super Bowl week, Del Rio kept giving standout marks to a relentless, tough kid named Derek Wolfe."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...er-derek-wolfe

So what? Now go find the articles that states JDR pumped up other players who the Broncos didn't draft. Every coach is going to have an opinion, I'm willing to bet that Wolfe was not the ONLY defensive player he liked. Fact is, we simply don't know if the Broncos would have passed on Wolfe if JDR was not on the team. It helps he liked Wolfe, but that doesn't mean that the Broncos would have passed Wolfe up had JDR not been on the team.

Requiem 04-06-2013 09:08 AM

Lol gtfo Tombstone.

pricejj 04-06-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3825835)
So what? Now go find the articles that states JDR pumped up other players who the Broncos didn't draft.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3825057)
This is the type of statement that tells me and everybody else that Tombstone RJ is a moron. He is completely talking out if his ass, even after getting a free pass.

Mat'hir Uth Gan 04-06-2013 10:02 AM

I think Price wins this one.

Tombstone RJ 04-07-2013 08:09 AM

So, there's no way the Broncos draft Wolfe unless JDR is on the staff? Everyone can say with 100% confidence that Wolfe would not be a Bronco without JDR? Meh, not buying it but whatever.

Requiem 04-07-2013 08:35 AM

Of course you aren't buying it, because you would rather be arrogant and ignorant than admit you are wrong.

Tombstone RJ 04-07-2013 08:46 AM

I'll concede that JDR was Wolfe's biggest proponent on the staff and yes, he was key in drafting Wolfe but was JDR the only reason Wolfe was drafted, that is hard to know.

Oh btw Req, aren't you the one who claimed there are no good white DTs?

Requiem 04-07-2013 09:23 AM

That was something I said in jest when I had the Wolfe meltdown. You took that seriously? Lol. Seriously dude, find something better to do with your time than follow me around like a little lost puppy that needs to be kicked.

Tombstone RJ 04-07-2013 09:36 AM

lol, look who's talking!

Requiem 04-07-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3826123)
lol, look who's talking!

http://images.4chan.org/b/src/1365360923103.gif