The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Which young d-lineman is going to step up the most? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110557)

03-24-2013 04:31 PM

Which young d-lineman is going to step up the most?

Who has a breakout year in him? Ayers, Beal, Jackson or Wolfe?

errand 03-24-2013 04:37 PM

Depends on who they get to replace Dumervil.....if they sign a vet like Abraham or Freeney then I'll go with Ayers opposite of them...if they decide against signing a FA and put Wolfe on the other side opposite of Ayers, then I wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 10 sacks.

03-24-2013 04:37 PM

The answer to replace dumervils QB pressures is currently not on this team. I'm not positive but I assume Ayers doesnt have 6 FFs over his entire football career?

Br0nc0Buster 03-24-2013 04:40 PM

I think Ayers is in a contract year, so I would not be surprised if he had the best year of his career

That said I think Wolfe is a stud and by all reports has been working out like a mad man over the offseason

I think he will be a force for us

Mogulseeker 03-24-2013 04:42 PM

Ayers/Wolfe.

DBroncos4life 03-24-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3820446)
The answer to replace dumervils QB pressures is currently not on this team. I'm not positive but I assume Ayers doesnt have 6 FFs over his entire football career?

You keep acting like Doom is a lock for 6 FFs every season.

Archer81 03-24-2013 04:45 PM

Wolfe. Just a feeling.

Getting an itch in the back of my head about Margus Hunt. Draft needs to hurry up and get here.

:Broncos:

Mogulseeker 03-24-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 (Post 3820457)
Wolfe. Just a feeling.

Getting an itch in the back of my head about Margus Hunt. Draft needs to hurry up and get here.

Hunt killed the combine. He'll probably go in the late first despite the fact that he'll be 27 when the season starts.

gyldenlove 03-24-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster (Post 3820448)
I think Ayers is in a contract year, so I would not be surprised if he had the best year of his career

That said I think Wolfe is a stud and by all reports has been working out like a mad man over the offseason

I think he will be a force for us

Even if he doubles his career best in EVERY single stat it won't be a good season:

6 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 4 passes batted, 4 tackles for loss.

That would be an outstanding 2 games, but over 16 it would still rank him somewhere below the top 32 in the league.

gyldenlove 03-24-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 (Post 3820457)
Wolfe. Just a feeling.

Urgh, a 27 year old who can'r rush the passer? Might as well just let Ayers start.

Br0nc0Buster 03-24-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyldenlove (Post 3820461)
Even if he doubles his career best in EVERY single stat it won't be a good season:

6 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 4 passes batted, 4 tackles for loss.

That would be an outstanding 2 games, but over 16 it would still rank him somewhere below the top 32 in the league.

well I said ayers could have a career year, I didnt say he would be that good

That this year is different than years past
pot roast and big vick will be eating up double teams with the attention for the offense focused on von

Its not outside the realm of possibility that Ayers could get some 1 v 1 pressures and force some negative plays

I will be the first to admit he is not what I thought he would be from his Tennessee days, but he is not entirely useless

Jetmeck 03-24-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3820446)

He's right...........

colonelbeef 03-24-2013 04:58 PM

Wolfe has the most upside, had the best 2012, and is the hardest worker.

Wolfe is the clear answer

Jetmeck 03-24-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster (Post 3820467)
well I said ayers could have a career year, I didnt say he would be that good

That this year is different than years past
pot roast and big vick will be eating up double teams with the attention for the offense focused on von

Its not outside the realm of possibility that Ayers could get some 1 v 1 pressures and force some negative plays

I will be the first to admit he is not what I thought he would be from his Tennessee days, but he is not entirely useless

Need consistent pass rush, Ayers is once in a while a good play.

Jetmeck 03-24-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelbeef (Post 3820470)
Wolfe has the most upside, had the best 2012, and is the hardest worker.

Wolfe is the clear answer

Like Wolfe not enough by himself and yes there is Von.

Teams will learn how to keep Von in coverage by formation........

We need more regular D line pressure without Von.

Then when you add Von its unstoppable...........

03-24-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swedish Extrovert (Post 3820450)
Ayers/Wolfe.

I agree 100% ayers plays with a nasty side and wolfe was a very productive rookie and with the addition of knighton I don't think the line will skip a beat.

UberBroncoMan 03-24-2013 05:11 PM

Robert Ayers going into a contract year. Today was a good day for him.

03-24-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 3820455)
You keep acting like Doom is a lock for 6 FFs every season.

He had 4 twice and 6 last year. The dude has 16 overall. The entire lines career totals don't match 16 I'm assuming.

His arms are made to strip the QB. I expect him to have 6 at the end of this season.

broncosteven 03-24-2013 05:16 PM

I took Ayers too though I think Wolfe has more upside and could have more sacks and impact plays.

Ayers may not get the strip sacks Doom used to but he should be able to take on double teams and he is the best at setting the edge on the D. Ayers should be able to free up Von to do what he does best.

I do hope we land a FA DE vet quickly though.

DBroncos4life 03-24-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3820486)
He had 4 twice and 6 last year. The dude has 16 overall. The entire lines career totals don't match 16 I'm assuming.

His arms are made to strip the QB. I expect him to have 6 at the end of this season.

1, 4, 1, 4, 0, and 6. This clearly isn't a stat that you can count on year to year.

Requiem 03-24-2013 05:18 PM

Wolfe is his own man at LDE. He won't be doing anything with Elvis production. What he does is on his own merit. Robert Ayers will get a chance to live up to the hype surrounding him all those years ago and has confidence and the backing of JDR, who loved him at the Senior Bowl. Malik Jackson will also get his opportunity. We also will need to draft another end because Jeremy Beal has no business being on an active 53 man roster.

Dr. Broncenstein 03-24-2013 05:20 PM

Excited to see Malik Jackson get more playing time.

03-24-2013 05:30 PM

Ayers has peeked. He is not going to get any much better than he is. Beal looked good in preseason but physically he just isn't that athletic. Therfore, I think Jackson will make the biggest jump this year. I think he will make a huge jump.

03-24-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 3820491)
1, 4, 1, 4, 0, and 6. This clearly isn't a stat that you can count on year to year.

Dumervils ability to strip a QB > the entire list above in the poll.

That's basically the bottom line. A player stepping up IMO is not on that list. I see Wolfe playing about the same or a little bit better. But not breaking out. Ayers? No way. Dude has underwhelmed. Malik Jackson is like wishing a diamond from a smashed turd. Just waiting for beal to get hurt again. It's gonna have to be through the draft or FA.

03-24-2013 05:37 PM

Who I think is going to step up and lead teams to victory isn't the defense. It's gonna be the offense. No more 3rd and 5 up the middle for Hester. McCoy specials are gone. This offense is gonna click on all levels and just outscore teams. 30+ will be the average.