The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   NFL considering lame rule (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110462)

03-14-2013 01:42 PM

NFL considering lame rule
 
It's unfortunate that my favorite sports team plays in a league that is slowly getting ****tier. Now there's just going to be more penalties and more grey area on judgment calls.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...into-tacklers/

bronco militia 03-14-2013 01:43 PM

wow...really?

Drunk Monkey 03-14-2013 01:46 PM

Bull**** rule

bronco militia 03-14-2013 01:46 PM

"hey guys....lets see if we can come with something even more retarded than the tuck rule"

BMarsh615 03-14-2013 01:49 PM

Walter Payton couldn't play in a league where leading with your helmet is a penalty.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f_rFTD7OfVg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

03-14-2013 01:53 PM

Continuing to phase tackling out of football.

Refs would get this so wrong in a game.

ludo21 03-14-2013 01:54 PM

Rams coach Jeff Fisher, a member of the Competition Committee, said he believes coaches will be able to properly instruct their players in how to adjust to this rule.
“The ballcarrier is still going to be permitted to lower his shoulder, and the head is also going to come down to protect the football,” Fisher said. “We’re not taking that part of the run out of the game. What we’re saying is, in space, one-on-one, head-up, we’re not going to allow you to load up and use the crown of your helmet. It’s an obvious thing.”


is this so obvious for a ref? i dont think so

Crushaholic 03-14-2013 02:05 PM

I was reading the comments, below the story. One person had it right. The natural instinct is to lower the head and brace for impact. The refs are going to be able to decide intent, and that is wrong....

bpc 03-14-2013 02:27 PM

You naturally bow up to protect yourself as a ball carrier. Just like a safety's body naturally follows whereever his head leads. They f'd up the last rule badly and i imagine this will be more of the same.

Bottom line, the NFL can't grow it's money much larger without more games to increase revenue. They are making a play on how this is safer for the game, but once they legislate violence from the game, they can make it a glorified NBA league and stretch out to 18-20 or 24 games so they can increase revenue. That's what this is all about. The fact that they are "concerned" about brain injuries is a front. Sad days ahead i'm afraid. Goodell has started the propaganda gravy train and Fischer, and everybody else is falling completely in line. The fans will be the ones losing.

razorwire77 03-14-2013 03:32 PM

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...37911470_n.jpg

03-14-2013 03:41 PM

Goodell is a ****ing moron

This isn't you kid's peewee league

Old Dude 03-14-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWheatGrower (Post 3813317)
... Now there's just going to be more penalties and more grey area on judgment calls.
...

And the zebras can't even get the clear-cut calls correct. (in cold weather)

Popps 03-14-2013 04:32 PM

So, this isn't actually an Onion or PFM article?

cutthemdown 03-14-2013 04:58 PM

NFL has no choice. If they don't seem to be doing all the can they could lose the lawsuits over concussions. Blame the former players who decided to sue.

xznsocal 03-14-2013 05:14 PM

As a father with a Colorado First Team All State player I favor any rule that promotes safety. Player health should take precedence over fan's bloodlust.

cutthemdown 03-14-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xznsocal (Post 3813506)
As a father with a Colorado First Team All State player I favor any rule that promotes safety. Player health should take precedence over fan's bloodlust.

Well no tackling would promote safety. How no blocking at all below the waist or above the neck? Would that not promote safety? Hell put flags on them so parents don't have to worry about their little boy.

Lestat 03-14-2013 07:34 PM

did you guys actually read the potential rule? it's lowering your head and leading with your helmet. doesn't say **** about using your shoulder which is what happens on 95% of the plays. ball carrier leads with his shoulder and braces for impact.
not that big of a deal.

Arkie 03-14-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

McKay said there was no one specific play that made the Committee propose this rule change, and he said that the play that was viewed by many as the most violent example of a helmet-to-helmet hit in the NFL all season — Bernard Pollard’s collision with Stevan Ridley in the AFC Championship Game — would not have been a penalty because neither player was directly leading with the crown of his helmet.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jlxYmGQMVTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

03-15-2013 12:45 AM

It's not that big of a deal. The rule is if it is a one on one situation the RB is not allowed to lower his head and initiate the contact. Big deal, teach the RB how to use the stiff arm.

Rother8 03-15-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3813702)
It's not that big of a deal. The rule is if it is a one on one situation the RB is not allowed to lower his head and initiate the contact. Big deal, teach the RB how to use the stiff arm.

Defining one on one could be a pretty annoying thing. Seems like there's a lot of situations that could qualify for one on one.

03-15-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rother8 (Post 3813704)
Defining one on one could be a pretty annoying thing. Seems like there's a lot of situations that could qualify for one on one.

Sure the NFL is getting more lame by the year but I am not going to worry about that until Manning retires.

03-15-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xznsocal (Post 3813506)
As a father with a Colorado First Team All State player I favor any rule that promotes safety. Player health should take precedence over fan's bloodlust.

Maybe your kid should play soccer...or tap dance.

I cant think of very many examples of a RB getting hurt doing this, and considering the number of hits a RB takes in a career, pretty tough to say any lingering effects are related to this one act.

No way the Ref's can get this right. They cant even get leading with the head on the defense right, seen a ton of shoulder tackles flagged.

They are talking about ending the tuck rule, which suprises me, since it wasnt in effect for our playoff game.

03-15-2013 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol#7 (Post 3813710)
Maybe your kid should play soccer...or tap dance.

I cant think of very many examples of a RB getting hurt doing this, and considering the number of hits a RB takes in a career, pretty tough to say any lingering effects are related to this one act.

No way the Ref's can get this right. They cant even get leading with the head on the defense right, seen a ton of shoulder tackles flagged.

They are talking about ending the tuck rule, which suprises me, since it wasnt in effect for our playoff game.

You see lots of examples of a safety coming up to tackle a RB and the RB lowers his head the the two helmets collide. That happens all the time and it is usually seems to me the Safety is the one that gets dinged. This happens ALL the time. Now we can debate the rule but you cannot debate the injuries.

cutthemdown 03-15-2013 01:51 AM

I could see me losing interest in football someday if the rules keep jerking the game around. Already officials decide games now. It wasn't like that when I was a kid IMO. Now we have suspect personal fouls almost every game. Never before have teams moved the ball so much from penatlies IMO.

03-15-2013 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3813712)
I could see me losing interest in football someday if the rules keep jerking the game around. Already officials decide games now. It wasn't like that when I was a kid IMO. Now we have suspect personal fouls almost every game. Never before have teams moved the ball so much from penatlies IMO.

After Manning if Oz sucks and the rules keep getting pussified than maybe. I already watch all my games on the internet so it's not like can't just walk away.

Can I not be a Broncos' fan and still post here?

Oh yeah, I forgot No_Broncos posts here all the time.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.