The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Still have to fix our achilles heel (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110457)

bpc 03-14-2013 11:25 AM

Still have to fix our achilles heel

HB is a HUGE issue going into next year. Hillman played well in the playoff game but still has a ways to go. Willis is basically done. I don't trust Knowshon at all really. Playoff game was case and point... proved he could be the answer for a majority of the year, playoffs hit and he gets injured and leaves us out to dry in the 2nd half. I'm not even clear when he got hurt but it was enough to take him out for the game.

Denver needs to solve this issue by the time the draft is concluded. Lacy would look nasty in Blue and Orange.

03-14-2013 11:30 AM

I don't think mcgahee gets enough credit for his short yardage ability. He's still just as good as a Steven Jackson in that aspect, and has about the same amount of wear and tear. He's a good pass protecter too. It's catching the ball and fumbling that were the big issues with him last year, but I think he could still give a good year or two as a short yardage back.

Moreno is average at best as a RB...good receiver out of the backfield though.

Hillman was marginal last year but brings some speed and should get better this year.

I'd rather cut Moreno and pair a rookie like Lacy, Bell, or Michael with McGahee. Willis in a number two role will be better than Willis in a number one role, like he's had to play the last few years.

Requiem 03-14-2013 11:30 AM

Would rather have Le'Veon Bell, but good thread.

ColoradoDarin 03-14-2013 11:33 AM

A starting RB can be had anywhere in the draft, we don't have to use our first round pick on one. Lacy probably would be good value at the end of round 1. However, I would say there isn't that much drop off to Bell in the 2nd (or if we trade down, he's probably available in the 3rd, but probably not there at our 3rd).

Traveler 03-14-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpc (Post 3813127)
HB is a HUGE issue going into next year. Hillman played well in the playoff game but still has a ways to go. Willis is basically done. I don't trust Knowshon at all really. Playoff game was case and point... proved he could be the answer for a majority of the year, playoffs hit and he gets injured and leaves us out to dry in the 2nd half. I'm not even clear when he got hurt but it was enough to take him out for the game.

Denver needs to solve this issue by the time the draft is concluded. Lacy would look nasty in Blue and Orange.

Now that Mendenhall and Green are off the market, my guess is the team will address RB in the draft. Probably in 2nd round, depending on who the BPA is when we pick in the 1st round.

If no one falls to them unexpectedly at #28, my guess is they'll trade out of their spot and add more choices. RB I'd like early are Lacy & Bell. In the later rounds, Lattimore and Davis.

My preference would be Le'Veon Bell in 2nd & Knile Davis in 7th.

Quoydogs 03-14-2013 11:35 AM

Ok here's were I get flamed. What about Hillis. Queefs are going to cut him. He probably goes cheap. He played good ball here. We just make K.M. our GL back.

ColoradoDarin 03-14-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quoydogs (Post 3813141)
Ok here's were I get flamed. What about Hillis. Queefs are going to cut him. He probably goes cheap. He played good ball here. We just make K.M. our GL back.

Because he sucks?

LetsGoBroncos 03-14-2013 11:48 AM

What is up with Steven Jackson? He fits our 2 year plan perfectly...not someone we need for a long time. Someone to help us now.

Why hasn't another team signed him?

Rohirrim 03-14-2013 11:51 AM

The Packers can't seem to get Steven Jackson signed. The Broncos might as well ring him up and see what he wants, or what he would accept to play in this offense.

KevinJames 03-14-2013 11:51 AM

I thought Hillman showed some growth.

I think he has a brighter future than people think.

broncosteven 03-14-2013 11:52 AM

I wonder if Elway isn't just playing chicken with Jackson's agent like he is with Doom's people.

He is probably pulling the, "let someone else set your value then I will make an offer" trick.

I bet we end up with at least one Vet RB in the next week or 2. Either Jackson or Bradshaw, then let them all compete in TC and cut the losers.

ludo21 03-14-2013 11:52 AM

nah, who needs to run the ball?

bpc 03-14-2013 11:53 AM

Lacy would be a bellcow. That I like. I'm normally against taking backs earlier than 2nd/3rd round but he's an interesting one to look at.

I like Bell and Kenjon Balmer. The latter is much more difficult to evaluate because of the offense he is coming out of. By nature, the Oregon offense eliminates 1-2 defenders per play based on deception which won't happen in the NFL so many of the wide open plays he had, won't be there. That being said, I thought he was ok breaking tackles, has very good speed and isn't small. Could be a 2nd/3rd round sleeper based on splitting time and question marks coming from Oregon offense.

I also like Bernard but wonder if he's too similar to Hillman.

Either way, we need somebody who can pick up a 3rd and 1, something that cost us dearly against Baltimore in regulation and then after. We need somebody who will make a defense pay for playing the pass. I think from whom we've talked about bringing in, we're looking for a sledge hammer to compliment Hillman and would be akin to the setup that Carolina had w/ Stephen Davis and Deshaun Foster under Fox. I wouldn't count Lacy out for the 1st round pick if he's there. Elway has decided to go all in over the next couple years for a super bowl and Manning. HB is a weakness, he might just try to get the best guy available and he can spend the rest of the draft picks on defensive players.

spdirty 03-14-2013 11:55 AM

I'm confident this will get addressed in the draft. Sure am glad we didn't address it by signing mendenhall.

bfoflcommish 03-14-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quoydogs (Post 3813141)

we want to IMPROVE on our fumbling, esp in redzone

TonyR 03-14-2013 11:56 AM

Steven Jackson
Reggie Bush (Signed four-year, $16M deal with DET)
Rashard Mendenhall (Signed one-year, $2.5M deal with ARZ)
Ahmad Bradshaw
Beanie Wells
Cedric Benson
Shonn Greene (Signed three-year, $10M deal with TEN)
Bernard Scott
Michael Turner
Felix Jones
Peyton Hillis
Brandon Jacobs
Danny Woodhead
Cedric Peerman (Signed two-year deal with CIN)
Rashad Jennings
La'Rod Stephens-Howling
Justin Forsett
Leon Washington
Javon Ringer
Ronnie Brown
Tim Hightower
Chris Rainey
Kevin Smith
Brian Leonard
Mike Goodson
Jalen Parmele
Ryan Grant
Steve Slaton
Thomas Jones
Joseph Addai
Mewelde Moore
Cadillac Williams
Jackie Battle
Kahlil Bell
Tashard Choice
Brandon Jackson
Ryan Torain (Signed undisclosed deal with NYG)
Stefan Logan
Jerome Harrison
Tyrell Sutton
Darius Reynaud (Signed one-year deal with TEN)
Kregg Lumpkin

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nf...master-list-13

bpc 03-14-2013 11:58 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YqvHdysqMYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You know how bad we could have used a sledge hammer like this against Baltimore? Guy makes Jarvis Jones look like a boy a few times in this video. Guys don't want to tackle him. I have questions about how he carries the ball but I imagine that's a coaching thing that can be fixed. Guy is a beast. Get the LB's playing on their toes so they don't get embarrassed in the run game, means they are late to their pass coverage duties. If they play the pass, thats Lacy knocking them about 3 yds back on contact. Pick your poison boys.

Rohirrim 03-14-2013 12:00 PM

As far as the draft goes, Stepfan Taylor is the best match for PmfM. He's the best blocker, best receiver, and he hits the hole with such speed and authority that he enhances the play action. Hillman is a waste. When he's not banging into the place where the hole ain't, he's going down at first touch. Steven Jackson would be the perfect short term solution, though. No training curve.

03-14-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3813196)
As far as the draft goes, Stepfan Taylor is the best match for PmfM. He's the best blocker, best receiver, and he hits the hole with such speed and authority that he enhances the play action. Hillman is a waste. When he's not banging into the place where the hole ain't, he's going down at first touch. Steven Jackson would be the perfect short term solution, though. No training curve.

I'll pass on Taylor and his 4.74 forty and complete lack of elusiveness.

Quoydogs 03-14-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin (Post 3813159)
Because he sucks?

He sucked with the Queefs

Broncos
GP GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Lng TD

Den. 12 6 68 343 5.0 19 5 14 179 12.8 47 1

Would have been more but hurt his knee.

Browns

16 14 270 1,177 4.4 48 11 61 477 7.8 47 2

He can catch and run. He does have fumbleitse but that can be fixed.

Rohirrim 03-14-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elibroncofan (Post 3813207)

Yep. He's got no moves. :puff:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_00ziPxn0Os?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's true that he doesn't dance much, though. Pretty much just North and South.

bpc 03-14-2013 12:17 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d9NeqNEApgU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bpc 03-14-2013 12:26 PM

I think Lacy is the guy I would throw my 1st round pick at if available. The great thing about Bama, they run a lot of the same formations Peyton Manning does. You can see the 3 WR sets, you can see ace formation, you can see ace w/ strong motion, and he runs a lot of from weak formations, something we try to do as well to keep defenses off-balance.

He's not a sexy back. Ok speed, very good quickness for a guy his size. Hands are average but can keep the defense honest. Isn't polished as a blocker but has a huge frame which normally gets the job done for him. He will get better, with better coaching there.

Drafting a guy like this while many will scream value later in the draft is that guaranteed affect on the team. 3rd and shorts aren't a question anymore. He has the power to go through you but enough quickness in the phone booth to make somebody miss and still get that 1st down. The great close quarter backs can do it. I imagine he'd have a Alstott like impression on this team. Play 7 or 8 in the box and Peyton is going to eat them alive. Play with 6 in the box and Lacy is going to break off 4-5 yds consistently with the opportunity for much more.

Ultimately this team is built around Manning and his improv skills. So give him the tools to keep teams honest and we'll put up 35 ppg. The defense is setup where you have 3 very good cornerbacks, some solid safety play, LB's are good-ok but also an area that's easy to find players at in the draft, and you have a solid defensive front, no worse than last year even without doom as Ayers & Wolfe are going to be going into another season with more experience.

Score, score, score and the defense should force a bunch of sacks and turnovers next year.

Mediator12 03-14-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elibroncofan (Post 3813207)

RB is NOT a speed position. That is a copout. Period. He plays faster than he times, and despite that and people lining up to stop him, he dominated at times with no real passing threat last year (See Oregon). I hate it when people use non football numbers to quantify draftees. Sure it does matter, his lack of speed will keep him from being the 1st back off the board.

However, remember TD and Emmit Smith also had Horrible combine numbers. With Smith, Johnson knew what he was getting and did not blink to take him in the first round. No one Knew about TD coming out, except he had durability issues. No one Knew about Morris last year either. He was not even in the top 30 RB's coming out, mainly due to his speed, or lack thereof and small school stature.

Tell me he can not impact in the NFL because of his speed. Seriously. I,ll show a ton of RB who did, despite their speed.

RB is NOT a speed position.

Mat'hir Uth Gan 03-14-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpc (Post 3813236)
I think Lacy is the guy I would throw my 1st round pick at if available. The great thing about Bama, they run a lot of the same formations Peyton Manning does. You can see the 3 WR sets, you can see ace formation, you can see ace w/ strong motion, and he runs a lot of from weak formations, something we try to do as well to keep defenses off-balance.

He's not a sexy back. Ok speed, very good quickness for a guy his size. Hands are average but can keep the defense honest. Isn't polished as a blocker but has a huge frame which normally gets the job done for him. He will get better, with better coaching there.

Drafting a guy like this while many will scream value later in the draft is that guaranteed affect on the team. 3rd and shorts aren't a question anymore. He has the power to go through you but enough quickness in the phone booth to make somebody miss and still get that 1st down. The great close quarter backs can do it. I imagine he'd have a Alstott like impression on this team. Play 7 or 8 in the box and Peyton is going to eat them alive. Play with 6 in the box and Lacy is going to break off 4-5 yds consistently with the opportunity for much more.

Ultimately this team is built around Manning and his improv skills. So give him the tools to keep teams honest and we'll put up 35 ppg. The defense is setup where you have 3 very good cornerbacks, some solid safety play, LB's are good-ok but also an area that's easy to find players at in the draft, and you have a solid defensive front, no worse than last year even without doom as Ayers & Wolfe are going to be going into another season with more experience.

Score, score, score and the defense should force a bunch of sacks and turnovers next year.

Who is not a sexy back? Lacy has been timed in the low 4.4s while at Alabama. Let his hamstring heal, if he runs in the 4.4 range before the draft, the Steelers are a lock to take him at 17 overall. His agility is off the charts, his burst is elite, he's physical and plays to contact. His best games are against the best teams in the biggest situations. I like him more than Richardson and Ingram.

If he's still there when Denver picks, Fox will take him in a nano-second, just like he did with Jonathan Stewart. Hopefully we'll be so lucky. I have Lacy in the elite tier. The next best RB, someone amongst Franklin, Bell, and Bernard, are a couple tiers lower, in the solid-good range.

For Denver to have a shot at him though, we need him to stay hurt. Maybe that's what he enjoyed his interview with Denver so much at the Combine, we probably told him "Eddie, hey man, we'll draft you to be the starting RB on a Superbowl team, but you have to *wink**wink* tweak your hammy and not workout whatsoever so we can get you".