The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Manning's arm strength (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110448)

03-14-2013 07:24 AM

Manning's arm strength

I never saw this article and do not know if it was posted.

Was Peyton Manning's arm strength a problem?

By Gregg Rosenthal

The final wayward throw of Peyton Manning's first season with the Denver Broncos will live on in infamy, like Brett Favre's interception in the 2010 NFC Championship Game. It was so out of character of Manning to force a pass across his body. It was the act of a young player or a desperate player.

But that wasn't the throw that stuck out most in my mind after Denver's loss. I remembered a wobbly third-down pass to Brandon Stokley in overtime. At a huge moment in the game, Manning's arm didn't appear to have enough juice for a routine throw.

That throw, combined with an utter lack of vertical passing from Denver, created a lot of talk centered around whether Manning's arm strength was a problem in the bitter cold. Steve Wyche of NFL.com relayed from one Ravens source that safety Ed Reed played in the deep center field the entire game. The Ravens were daring Manning to go deep, but he didn't test them.

Ravens cornerback Corey Graham, who picked off Manning twice, said Manning's patience to dink and dunk gave Baltimore confidence.

"Graham said that the Ravens' defensive backs became more brazen as the game went on, since they weren't being challenged deep," Wyche wrote. "As the possessions increased in importance, it seemed as if Denver was more intent on moving the chains than taking chances."

The Broncos scored one time on their final eight offensive possessions, not including the team's two possessions where John Fox called for Manning to take a knee instead of try to drive and set up for a field goal. I believe Fox coached not to lose. His timidity was a huge factor in the defeat. But perhaps he had concerns with Manning's ability to push the ball down the field?

With the help of Game Rewind, I went back to watch all of Manning's throws. There were some other concerning moments besides the throw to Stokley. Three examples:

Rest of article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...ngth-a-problem

Rabb 03-14-2013 07:27 AM

Not bagging on you OP, but I love that he threw for almost 300 yards and 3 TDs, and despite a BS interception...still should have won that game. But yeah, let's look at his arm strength, had to be his arm strength.

The Ravens were being more brazen once they realized they could ****ing mug people and get away with it.

TonyR 03-14-2013 07:35 AM

I'm not too concerned about his arm strength. But I do think the cold bothered him. He has said that one of the biggest problems with his recovery has been his grip and when it's that cold your grip is compromised all the more. Which is why he "practiced" playing with gloves in the second halfs for a few weeks leading up to the playoffs.

enjolras 03-14-2013 07:40 AM

When you watch that game, there is no question that Manning wasn't right. I don't know what happened, but despite the stats Manning just wasn't himself. His ball placement wasn't very good (a few throws aside) and his balls clearly lacked the normal velocity he had shown throughout the season.

I think there is some concern here.

03-14-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 3812786)
Not bagging on you OP, but I love that he threw for almost 300 yards and 3 TDs, and despite a BS interception...still should have won that game. But yeah, let's look at his arm strength, had to be his arm strength.

The Ravens were being more brazen once they realized they could ****ing mug people and get away with it.

Well that is fine but look at his argument. Manning never threw deep. Ravens started playing up close to the LOS.

The guy might have a point. It was frigging cold and maybe that affected his arm.

Manning's arm should be even better this year but maybe worth keeping an eye on how he plays in cold weather.

Rabb 03-14-2013 07:45 AM

I get the point for sure, but it's not why we lost that game.

bronco militia 03-14-2013 07:45 AM

I think his arm strength is the same, it's the grip he has trouble with. Also, I don't think there are any football gloves on the planet that work 100% in single digit temps.

03-14-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3812793)
I'm not too concerned about his arm strength. But I do think the cold bothered him. He has said that one of the biggest problems with his recovery has been his grip and when it's that cold your grip is compromised all the more. Which is why he "practiced" playing with gloves in the second halfs for a few weeks leading up to the playoffs.

That is what I am talking about. Manning's arm strength was fine all year I am not worried about that but maybe his arm in cold weather is something different.

barryr 03-14-2013 07:46 AM

Has there ever been a QB who ever played who didn't lose arm strength when in their mid 30's? The Broncos win that game if their secondary could have ever figured out how to defend the long ball.

03-14-2013 07:48 AM

I think he's just getting old. QBs lose strength at his age as it is, and add in his surgery and it is a concern. But manning at 80% is better than most starting QBs at 100.

03-14-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 3812804)
I get the point for sure, but it's not why we lost that game.

I don't think anyone is passing blame just understanding.

Of course like the article said Denver went scoreless on the last 8 possessions.

Irish Stout 03-14-2013 07:50 AM

I think it is valid. I recall that after the season Peyton mentioned he was not 100% there yet in his own recovery. It was a long season and the last game was one of, if not the coldest ever in Denver. For a dude with multiple next surgeries to go for 6 months and gain the ground he did, its not surprising that he started to wear down a bit at the end.

I have an expectation - as I believe does Peyton - that he will be better in overall strength and endurance this year. Hopefully an offseason without surgery will allow some more nerve regeneration and the cold won't be as much of a factor next year.

And we need to focus on a running game to further alleviate these concerns..

bowtown 03-14-2013 07:50 AM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...0/34224249.jpg

Rabb 03-14-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3812811)
I don't think anyone is passing blame just understanding.

Of course like the article said Denver went scoreless on the last 8 possessions.

35 points.

If you can't win a playoff game with 35 points, perhaps there's an issue somewhere other than the offense.

Edit: sorry, wishful thinking with 38 points :)

bronco militia 03-14-2013 07:52 AM

tebow would have won that game.

;D

03-14-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 3812816)
38 points.

If you can't win a playoff game with 38 points, perhaps there's an issue somewhere other than the offense.

You mean like prater kicking dirt? Moore running backwards? Perhaps a coaching staff using regular season philosophy in a postseason game?

03-14-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabb (Post 3812816)
38 points.

If you can't win a playoff game with 38 points, perhaps there's an issue somewhere other than the offense.

I agree, but of course if Denver could have managed a TD in one of their last eight possession they would have won.

There are many reasons why Denver lost that game. going 0-8 on the last 8 possessions was just one of them.

Rabb 03-14-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3812820)
You mean like prater kicking dirt? Moore running backwards? Perhaps a coaching staff using regular season philosophy in a postseason game?

Yeah, exactly. Yes I know we could have scored in the last 8 possessions, but blaming Manning in any way just seems dirty to me.

Oh well, 2013 here we come.

SonOfLe-loLang 03-14-2013 08:02 AM

It was like five degrees out. I still can't feel my feet from that game. Of course the cold bothered him

crush17 03-14-2013 08:03 AM

We scored 35 freaking points. 21 of which came from Manning and the O.

Defense is why we lost that game. Period.

StugotsIII 03-14-2013 08:05 AM

It was a scramble drill….Stockley is as much to blame as Manning…

With that said….Denver should have easily won that game.

yerner 03-14-2013 08:06 AM

wasn't there an article posted on here showing peyton's downfield throwing accuracy was top 5 last season? people are trying to make too much of one ****ed up game.

ScottXray 03-14-2013 08:12 AM

The article concludes that Mannings arm strength was not the problem.
It did show several plays that were OFF but states that he also had several good throws late in the game too.

It also shows a 4th quarter play where Manning was a little late on a throw to Decker...allowing the defender to come back and make a play ( ignoring the fact that the defender hit Decker before the ball got there AGAIN).

The officials were THE major reason we lost that game. They let Baltimore mug our receivers the entire game and that had a big impact as they killed our drives by either NOT flagging Baltimore or flagging us.

I'm still mad as hell!

DBroncos4life 03-14-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3812823)
I agree, but of course if Denver could have managed a TD in one of their last eight possession they would have won.

There are many reasons why Denver lost that game. going 0-8 on the last 8 possessions was just one of them.

There was two kneel downs and at least one kill the drive clock off the top of my head that count as "possessions".

03-14-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 3812855)
There was two kneel downs and at least one kill the drive clock off the top of my head that count as "possessions".

Ok what is your point? If Denver would have scored on that possession they would have won the game.

I never even hinted it was Manning's fault Rabb is the one saying that. I was just wondering if the cold weather affected Manning's arm>