The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Off Topics Forum (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Back surgery (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110442)

barryr 03-13-2013 07:50 PM

Back surgery

Anyone have had surgery on a herniated disc or know of someone who did? Just trying to get more info. on success rates and how it worked out for people. Looks like I have no other choice since mine has also been causing numbness in my feet for over a year now and it is hard to walk and keep balance anymore and all tests point to the disc and nothing else as the cause. Thanks for any info.!

Requiem 03-15-2013 06:36 PM

Sorry to hear. Get better.

barryr 03-18-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3815078)
Sorry to hear. Get better.

Thanks man! I have toughed it out for months and over a year with the loss of feeling in my feet. The VA is involved, so that makes it take a longer time as well. I have had about 50-50 stories of some saying it was the best thing for them and others say they know some that they were worse. So pretty nervous about it since the only surgery I have ever had was my tonsils out when I was like 4-5 years old.

Irish Stout 03-19-2013 01:16 PM

50-50 is what I have heard. One person went in for surgery twice on it in a three year period, because the first time made them even more miserable... they didn't want to go back, but it was so bad. Anyway, second surgery with different doctor went great and they're doing much much better. Do your research on who is doing the surgery and see if they have any success stories you can check out. Good luck.

JPPT1974 03-19-2013 05:12 PM

Hope that you begin to get better! So sorry!

03-21-2013 01:19 PM

Sounds like the herniated disc is pressing against nerves. I've never had such a surgery though I have a coworker who has been putting off some kind of back surgery seemingly forever. She uses warm packs on her back a lot and has difficulty sitting in certain chairs. She's stubborn.

Rascal 03-21-2013 02:39 PM

I've got 3 herniated discs as well in my lower lumbar. Going to see a neurosurgeon in two weeks. I've been batteling it for almost two years. Not being able to do anything and constantly doped up on hydrocodone and muscle relaxers is getting old.

Mediator12 03-28-2013 10:54 AM

I had a discectomy in 2003 and it was the best thing I ever did.

2 things with surgeries though:

1. Find the best surgeon you can and do NOT let anyone else work on you. I have had 4 major surgeries and my mom ran medical practices for years including several surgery groups. Surgeons are NOT equal. Always, always get the right guy to cut you. And when you find the guy, ask competitors who they would ask to do surgery on them if they were in your position and see if his name comes up consistently.

2. Weigh the risks independently of one opinion. Call your insurance company and ask to talk to a nurse practitioner about your condition. They will give you a reasonable assessment of the risks on doing it versus not doing it. Then, get the numbers of Doctors outside your area from her and get a consult from someone who is NOT going to be a candidate to do the surgery. If they are not, they will usually tell you the truth. Make sure you talk to at least 2 and hopefully 3 other doctors.

The thing about surgery is this. If someone screws up the procedure, there is NO gaurantee they or someone much better can fix their mistake. The whole reason you get a 50-50 assessment on this procedure is that likely the 50 against had a poor surgeon and created more problems than they should have. Generally, back surgery is not so invasive unless they have to fuze disks or the like. Discectomy is a highly effective surgery with a much higher success rate than 50-50 in the hands of a very competent surgeon.

barryr 03-28-2013 07:26 PM

Thanks for the advice and stories everyone!

houghtam 03-29-2013 12:20 PM

http://globalpatientnetwork.com/

This guy arranged for my brother to get disc replacement surgery in Germany at a place called the Alpha Klinik 10 years ago. Super expensive (two discs replaced was tens of thousands of dollars and his insurance didn't cover it), but it was minimally invasive as they go in through the front, and you'll be up and walking around the next day. No lie or exaggeration. My brother and I walked for hours around downtown Munich two days afterwards.

The more important part is that he, like you, was experiencing numbness in several places, couldn't play sports anymore, couldn't pick up his own kids.

Now he plays golf, hockey and umpires baseball at the age of 45.

Blueflame 04-04-2013 01:17 AM

Today my husband underwent a laminectomy at L-3 to relieve pressure on a badly pinched nerve. It's very early to assess the results, but upon waking up in the recovery room, he felt pretty confident that the surgery had accomplished the goal of eliminating most of the pain he'd been experiencing in his hip and quadriceps.

barryr 04-23-2013 07:18 AM

Back surgery went fine. I went home instead of staying over night at the hospital. I am quite sore though, but thankful for the pain pills. Long rehab is in order for the near future, but hopefully I will be able to feel my feet again soon. Take care of your back everybody, you don't want 20 years of this sort of thing like I have had to deal with.