The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Pats ink Amendola to replace Welker (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110433)

cutthemdown 03-13-2013 04:48 PM

Pats ink Amendola to replace Welker
 
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...n-31m-contract

The New England Patriots didn't value Wes Welker. They viewed him as a role player that was replaceable. Now they have replaced him.

Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reports that the Patriots reached a five-year, $31 million agreement in principle with wide receiver Danny Amendola. $10 million is guaranteed. Rapoport reported the Patriots were talking to Amendola's representatives all along, which is probably why the team made such a low offer to Welker. The Patriots knew they had Amendola in their back pocket all along. It sure looks like they wanted the younger Amendola more. (Welker's offer from New England was $10 million over two years, according to Albert Breer of NFL.com. Ultimately, Welker and Amendola received the same guaranteed money.)

Amendola, like Welker, is a Texas Tech product that relies on short area quickness from the slot. Amendola has better long speed, but he can't match Welker's experience with Tom Brady or Welker's durability. Amendola missed almost the entire 2011 season, and then five games in 2012. Welker has missed three games since 2005.

Tombstone RJ 03-13-2013 04:51 PM

how does Gizelle feel about this?

SonOfLe-loLang 03-13-2013 04:52 PM

If you ask me, this is proof they didn't want to lose him. Otherwise they could have done this yesterday

Rother8 03-13-2013 04:52 PM

Could work out, but they seem desperate.

SouthStndJunkie 03-13-2013 04:54 PM

Danny Amendola has missed 20 games the last 2 seasons.

UberBroncoMan 03-13-2013 04:54 PM

One raider for another.

RedskinBronco 03-13-2013 04:57 PM

I don't know. Amendola has the tools, if he stays healthy good move for the pats.

Mogulseeker 03-13-2013 04:57 PM

That's aight. I'd take Welker over Areola any day.

Porcelain Doll

RaiderH8r 03-13-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3812052)
how does Gizelle feel about this?

I don't know and I'm certainly not taking my ***** out of her ***** to ask her. You'll have to wait.

03-13-2013 05:01 PM

That really isn't a replacement. It's a good signing but Amendola is not going to do what Welker did for Brady. Not even close.

broncogary 03-13-2013 05:04 PM

And we don't have to try to cover Welker any more.

03-13-2013 05:04 PM

I'd much rather have welker at $12M over 2 years than Amendola at $31M over 5.

RaiderH8r 03-13-2013 05:05 PM

Giselle doesn't like it.

cutthemdown 03-13-2013 05:14 PM

Amendola has never done squat. He always gets hurt. IMO Austin Collie should be signed now. Hear me out on that. I know he's probably just going to get hurt again but he's very good when healthy. We could one yr deal him cheap and use him for depth or the 4th WR. Then we get a player who like Amendola is an injury concern but we do it for cheaper and no risk. It's all upside.

03-13-2013 05:16 PM

He's one of those "potential" guys. Still is made of glass and has yet to really show his worth yet....as well as learning the complex Pats offence. Don't know if he's liable to go off on us like Welker has in the past - another reason it's brilliant that he's ours now.

cutthemdown 03-13-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agamemnon (Post 3812070)
That really isn't a replacement. It's a good signing but Amendola is not going to do what Welker did for Brady. Not even close.

Brady and Welker were buddies. That could be more valuable then the NE front office thinks. Chemsitry makes players sell out for one another.

I'm not in love with our TE but they play well. I just don't think they are studs. But you can't have it all everywhere. We do need a RB though even if just a journeyman to pair with Moreno and Hillman.

boltaneer 03-13-2013 05:18 PM

Nice signings by Denver to get Welker and the Pats to get Amendola.

Pats won't miss a beat.

cutthemdown 03-13-2013 05:18 PM

So I know most of you play fantasy. How do you value Bronco WR now?

winstoncup bronco 03-13-2013 05:20 PM

Amendola is a guy I would have liked if Welker stayed in NE. He did have 85 catches one year, but dude hasn't been able to stay healthy.

cutthemdown 03-13-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltaneer (Post 3812092)
Nice signings by Denver to get Welker and the Pats to get Amendola.

Pats won't miss a beat.

It wouldn't worry you his best yr was about 700 yrds and he's always hurt? To get a deal on the same level as one of the best slot/underneath WR of all time? Who is best friends with your QB? Seems to me like a very risky move and they most certainly will miss a beat.

Your the same one telling me last yr how meachum would make up some for Vincent Jackson? Or was that 400hz? Either way Amendola for around what Welker got seems like a stupid move. Why replace 100 catches a yr with a guy who has been made of glass? The better go sign Jennings as well or brady gave up money for nothing.

hell they haven't even signed Vollmer yet have they? What the hell?

extralife 03-13-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3812093)
So I know most of you play fantasy. How do you value Bronco WR now?

you wait until camp at least

I'd have a hard time ranking either DT or Welker as a top ten guy right now. Decker takes a huge hit, but it's also possible that he does not take as huge a hit as his ranking will, so he could be a good value pick.

cutthemdown 03-13-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extralife (Post 3812103)
you wait until camp at least

I'd have a hard time ranking either DT or Welker as a top ten guy right now. Decker takes a huge hit, but it's also possible that he does not take as huge a hit as his ranking will, so he could be a good value pick.

I know Manning doesn't run like Rodgers, rgIII, Newton but you have to think hes going to get 4500 yrds and at least 30 plus tds. IMO thats sort of the he plays good and every game. If he gets better then last yr hell he could throw 40 tds.

winstoncup bronco 03-13-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3812097)
It wouldn't worry you his best yr was about 700 yrds and he's always hurt? To get a deal on the same level as one of the best slot/underneath WR of all time? Who is best friends with your QB? Seems to me like a very risky move and they most certainly will miss a beat.

Your the same one telling me last yr how meachum would make up some for Vincent Jackson? Or was that 400hz? Either way Amendola for around what Welker got seems like a stupid move. Why replace 100 catches a yr with a guy who has been made of glass? The better go sign Jennings as well or brady gave up money for nothing.

hell they haven't even signed Vollmer yet have they? What the hell?

Not only that, Tom Brady will be 36 when the season starts. You would think they would keep him surrounded by guys he's comfortable with to keep him happy and comfortable in the twilight of his career. Brady has a slightly larger window than Peyton, and although this may payoff for them, rolling the dice with an injury prone guy that is trying to replace 110 catches a year is a risk, even without a 'win now' element.

boltaneer 03-13-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3812097)
It wouldn't worry you his best yr was about 700 yrds and he's always hurt? To get a deal on the same level as one of the best slot/underneath WR of all time? Who is best friends with your QB? Seems to me like a very risky move and they most certainly will miss a beat.

Your the same one telling me last yr how meachum would make up some for Vincent Jackson? Or was that 400hz? Either way Amendola for around what Welker got seems like a stupid move. Why replace 100 catches a yr with a guy who has been made of glass? The better go sign Jennings as well or brady gave up money for nothing.

hell they haven't even signed Vollmer yet have they? What the hell?

You can never predict injuries but I think with Brady throwing to him, he won't take as many big shots as he did with Bradford throwing to him.

03-13-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boltaneer (Post 3812110)
You can never predict injuries but I think with Brady throwing to him, he won't take as many big shots as he did with Bradford throwing to him.

Injury-prone players tend to get injured.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.