The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Mendenhall, Knighton, DRC, Freeney & other potential targets (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110388)

TonyR 03-12-2013 06:09 AM

Mendenhall, Knighton, DRC, Freeney & other potential targets

Four players to keep an eye on with respect to the Broncos according to various sources.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ague-year-lard

Ray Finkle 03-12-2013 06:27 AM

Not a fan of Mendenhall but if the price was right on those other 3, I'd be ecstatic (say the money saved from cutting DJ, Hanie, and hopefully Mays).

Freeney's a shell of his former self but if you brought him in on 3rd downs, he could give you some good reps.

Drek 03-12-2013 06:31 AM

Knighton should be a no brainer deal that gets done quickly.

Mendenhall is an idiot. Stephen Jackson > Reggie Bush > draft. That should be the RB acquisition hierarchy right now.

DRC is a worthwhile option for #2/#3 CB. We need someone solid to go legitimately three deep at CB, Carter is a good dime, ok nickel, if injury pushes him into the starting two we're in trouble.

The whole 'cut Doom, sign Freeney' bull**** sure makes you feel like this team turned into the Denver Mannings last year doesn't it?

TonyR 03-12-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drek (Post 3809416)
The whole 'cut Doom, sign Freeney' bull**** sure makes you feel like this team turned into the Denver Mannings last year doesn't it?

I suppose to an extent. But I'd expect Freeney to be part of a rotation that "replaces" Doom, not remotely a direct replacement.

Requiem 03-12-2013 06:35 AM

Knighton, DRC = good signings

Freeney = no, but he will be a part of rotation. Go after Osi.

Mendenhall = lukewarm on him.

Knighton, DRC and Steven Jackson. Maybe someone nobody is talkign about. Call it a rap. Get the jimmy hats.

kent156 03-12-2013 06:42 AM

so who is covering the tight ends again?

03-12-2013 06:42 AM

Knighton/Hill, DRC/Lewis, Jackson/Bush, Bennett/Osi, Mikell

socalorado 03-12-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kent156 (Post 3809420)
so who is covering the tight ends again?

Dude from Cleveland.

TonyR 03-12-2013 06:45 AM

More thoughts on Doom, and a Freeney/Ayers rotation replacing him, here:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...nd-the-broncos

BroncoInferno 03-12-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3809417)
I suppose to an extent. But I'd expect Freeney to be part of a rotation that "replaces" Doom, not remotely a direct replacement.

Yep. I'd imagine Ayers (who, by the way, looked excellent in his limited snaps last season), Malik Jackson and Hunter will compete for the starting job, and they'd use Freeney as a situational player.

Fans don't like the unknown. "How can the let Doom go, Ayers sucks!!!111!!" But that's the trick with being a GM. Sometimes you have to trust your player evaluations and roll the dice on the unknown in order to be cost effective. You just can't keep Doom at a $12 million base salary. Call it being "cheap" if you want, but I doubt any team in the league would keep him at that number. So, why not just restructure? Well, players don't lose money in a typical restructure. There have their base salaries converted into bonuses/guaranteed money to help with the cap, and you just kick the costs down the road. Denver obviously doesn't want to make another expensive long-term commitment to a guy closing in on 30. Are we going to have a single player step in and replace Doom's production as a pass rusher? Doubtful. But we've got a couple of promising young players (unproven though they may be), and if we add a vet to the mix, maybe we can replicate the production in a more cost-effective platoon (and probably improve the run defense). And then we can use the savings to improve other areas of the club that would otherwise have to go neglected or filled with unappealing options. I like Doom as much as anyone, but I understand the business side. You can't keep him at $12 million. And from Doom's perspective, he's got a chance to get what will probably be his last chance at a big payday with big guaranteed numbers.

It'd be nice if chicken-littles would try to look at the bigger picture.

Requiem 03-12-2013 06:48 AM

JDR has always liked Ayers. Ayers and Jackson please. Get rid of Jason Hunter for real.

eddie mac 03-12-2013 06:52 AM

Was speaking to Knighton last night on twitter. He wouldn't exactly be drawn on where he was going but he lol when I said he'd love the Rockies.

socalorado 03-12-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoInferno (Post 3809424)
Yep. I'd imagine Ayers (who, by the way, looked excellent in his limited snaps last season), Malik Jackson and Hunter will compete for the starting job, and they'd use Freeney as a situational player.

Fans don't like the unknown. "How can the let Doom go, Ayers sucks!!!111!!" But that's the trick with being a GM. Sometimes you have to trust your player evaluations and roll the dice on the unknown in order to be cost effective. You just can't keep Doom at a $12 million base salary. Call it being "cheap" if you want, but I doubt any team in the league would keep him at that number. So, why not just restructure? Well, players don't lose money in a typical restructure. There have their base salaries converted into bonuses/guaranteed money to help with the cap, and you just kick the costs down the road. Denver obviously doesn't want to make another expensive long-term commitment to a guy closing in on 30. Are we going to have a single player step in and replace Doom's production as a pass rusher? Doubtful. But we've got a couple of promising young players (unproven though they may be), and if we add a vet to the mix, maybe we can replicate the production in a more cost-effective platoon (and probably improve the run defense). And then we can use the savings to improve other areas of the club that would otherwise have to go neglected or filled with unappealing options. I like Doom as much as anyone, but I understand the business side. You can't keep him at $12 million. And from Doom's perspective, he's got a chance to get what will probably be his last chance at a big payday with big guaranteed numbers.

It'd be nice if chicken-littles would try to look at the bigger picture.

Ayers was a 1st round pick right? Time to step up, and prove it.
Mayock said Ayers had the most upside of any player in that draft i believe.
I just cant see how in the world DEN could pay Doom 12 mil. for 1 year.
Thats just plain nuts, and isnt happening.

DBroncos4life 03-12-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3809426)
JDR has always liked Ayers. Ayers and Jackson please. Get rid of Jason Hunter for real.

He is a free agent and I really wouldn't expect him back.

Drek 03-12-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3809417)

Any rotation we put together will be be a significantly inferior pass rush thread, which is the big thing we need from our weakside DE opposite Miller.

And I say this as probably the biggest Robert Ayers promoter on this board. If they believe in Ayers' future then give him more time in rotation with Doom and Wolfe.

This franchise spent a decade in pass rush HELL during Shanahan's tenure. He stumbled on Doom in the middle of the '06 draft and since then Doom has been the one consistent producer from our front seven. Now that we're finally building around him and Miller it would be a step back any way you slice it to drop him.

Get Knighton, make Wolfe put on 10-15 pounds to play primarily at DT, let Ayers and Jackson split time with Doom at weakside DE while also sharing all the snaps on the strong side. Problem solved and we're likely a better front four as a result.

SonOfLe-loLang 03-12-2013 07:04 AM

We needed to cut doom to sign knighton, drc, and mendenhall?

BroncoInferno 03-12-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drek (Post 3809433)
And I say this as probably the biggest Robert Ayers promoter on this board. If they believe in Ayers' future then give him more time in rotation with Doom and Wolfe.

If you're paying Doom $12 million, he's got to be on the field for 3 downs. You can't justify that salary for a situational pass rusher, which is probably how Denver would prefer to use and pay him at this point.

Requiem 03-12-2013 07:06 AM

I see the Negative Nancy Dumervil crowd is up bright and early, serving up their morning brew. . . yawn.

TonyR 03-12-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoInferno (Post 3809435)
If you're paying Doom $12 million, he's got to be on the field for 3 downs. You can't justify that salary for a situational pass rusher, which is probably how Denver would prefer to use and pay him at this point.

Yup. Others have already posted it, but this article (if you agree with their analysis) tries to help at least partly explain why Doom isn't worth $12 million in the Broncos' scheme.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ush-repertoire

SonOfLe-loLang 03-12-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3809437)
I see the Negative Nancy Dumervil crowd is up bright and early, serving up their morning brew. . . yawn.

I'm not even against cutting him. I'm just wondering if the three above will be THAT expensive And is joe mays still on this team?

Drek 03-12-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoInferno (Post 3809435)

That isn't how they played Doom last season though. You can't argue that he should get paid less because he should be in a situational role when you just used him as a three down DE for the entire last season.

He's getting paid for the job you've got him doing. In 2014 that goes down to $10M, and in 2015 it goes down to $8M. There's accounting for moving him into a situational role and age related decline built into his contract already.

TonyR 03-12-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3809437)

I understand the disappointment about losing Doom. People just need to realize that he's a little overrated and a bit of a luxury at $12 million. I'd love for him to take a pay cut and stay but it's extremely doubtful that will happen.

TonyR 03-12-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3809439)
I'm not even against cutting him. I'm just wondering if the three above will be THAT expensive And is joe mays still on this team?

I think Mays will either take a huge pay cut or get released. No way they're keeping him at $4 million.

Elway 4 Life 03-12-2013 07:14 AM

I like all those options except mendenhall. He is a fumbling tool. Replace him with S Jackson in this rumor mill and ill be happy as a fat kid with cake and ice cream.

BroncoInferno 03-12-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drek (Post 3809441)
That isn't how they played Doom last season though. You can't argue that he should get paid less because he should be in a situational role when you just used him as a three down DE for the entire last season.

Of course that can be argued. If they've decided since the end of the season that he'd be better used as a situational pass rusher rather than a 3 down player where his run D is a liability, then they can certainly ask him to adjust his salary accordingly. And they have. Doom, of course, has every right to refuse (and has). That's the business.