The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Take a Gamble. . . Chris Gamble? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110348)

Requiem 03-08-2013 01:42 PM

Take a Gamble. . . Chris Gamble?

Gamble will be 30 very soon (a couple of days) but was a productive corner for a long time and had great success under John Fox. This year he was limited to four games with a shoulder injury, but the Broncos will only have four CBs on the roster going into next season: Bailey, Harris, Carter and Bolden.

I don't think he would demand a big contract and could help shore up some depth on the team. Just bringing this up because of the John Fox connection.

Quote:

Chris Gamble cut. A year removed from holding QBs to 45% completion into his coverage and a passer rating of 53.3 in 2011 season -- PFF
This is a deep CB draft and FA class.

Would you like him to join the Broncos?

He can still play. The shoulder injury and huge salary this year is what caused him to be dump so Carolina could get under the cap. Good fit IMO and would welcome him on the Broncos.

Chris 03-08-2013 01:45 PM

If the Revis trade doesn't pan out. See what he can do.

Requiem 03-08-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 3807341)
If the Revis trade doesn't pan out. See what he can do.

The more I look at the draft and the depth of corners in FA, the Revis trade just doesn't make sense to me. Why would we give up a ton of picks and a player for Revis when we could sign a guy like Gamble for a decent contract and still have a legit starter outside of Bailey?

pricejj 03-08-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3807338)
Gamble will be 30 very soon (a couple of days) but was a productive corner for a long time and had great success under John Fox. This year he was limited to four games with a shoulder injury, but the Broncos will only have four CBs on the roster going into next season: Bailey, Harris, Carter and Bolden.

I don't think he would demand a big contract and could help shore up some depth on the team. Just bringing this up because of the John Fox connection.

This is a deep CB draft and FA class.

Would you like him to join the Broncos?

He can still play. The shoulder injury and huge salary this year is what caused him to be dump so Carolina could get under the cap. Good fit IMO and would welcome him on the Broncos.

Sounds good. No matter what happens, the Broncos are going to need to free up some cash for a quality CB...can't go into the draft banking on a 2nd round Nickel CB to get us to the Superbowl.

eddie mac 03-08-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3807343)
The more I look at the draft and the depth of corners in FA, the Revis trade just doesn't make sense to me. Why would we give up a ton of picks and a player for Revis when we could sign a guy like Gamble for a decent contract and still have a legit starter outside of Bailey?

It's not just the draft pick compensation either, that $16m per season scares the **** outta me considering we'll need to pay Miller/Thomas/Decker/Beadles/Woodyard/Clady over the next 2 seasons.

Br0nc0Buster 03-08-2013 02:12 PM

I think we address corner in the draft
Gamble would help, but I think someone like Jonathan Banks at 28 would be ideal

If we pick up a FA corner, then wouldnt we probably have to cut Bolden if we decide to draft another one?

Bolden is the forgotten man, but several scouts had a 2nd round grade on him before his injury
He could still pan out into something

Corner is a need, but its more of a find a replacement for Champ situation
I am fine with Champ, Harris, and Carter as our nickel set.

Even better with someone like Trufant or Banks being groomed to take over

pricejj 03-08-2013 02:22 PM

Carter should only see the field if there is an injury. 4th CB at best.

Torrey Smith would blow by Johnthan Banks so fast, it wouldn't even be funny. I think Banks will be a Safety in the NFL.

LetsGoBroncos 03-08-2013 02:32 PM

I guess I'm crazy....I feel like before last year we had several straight years of CB crapiness outside of Bailey. Whoever we plugged in at the other spot was constantly getting beat. Goodman, Vaughn, etc. Then last year Harris plays awesome and I feel like there were a ton of balls thrown Carter's way that he defended well and resulted in an incomplete pass. Sure, he got beat some but every cornerback does. I just don't recall thinking "Carter is getting torched" like I used to think watching games. Ya, we need someone else for depth especially with Bailey getting older but why is everyone acting like Carter is much worse than what we had opposite Bailey the last few years? I don't get it.

socalorado 03-08-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3807343)

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/b...07/5901932.jpg

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/b...01/6695522.jpg

Bigdawg26 03-08-2013 02:38 PM

I don't think CB is a pressing need for us. I think Champ, Harris, Carter, and Bolden is are solid 4 corners. They all had pretty good seasons (except for Champ against Torrey Smith). We have more of a need for MLB, FS, and DT. I would like for us focus more on those then a corner.

03-08-2013 02:45 PM

Reverend has me hyped on CBs in this draft.

03-08-2013 02:47 PM

This thread is useless with out caps

SonOfLe-loLang 03-08-2013 02:50 PM

I still dont understand how corner became our biggest need

DBroncos4life 03-08-2013 02:57 PM

Logan Ryan in the second.

Requiem 03-08-2013 02:57 PM

You know I bust out the Jergens to both those guys. . . but will they be there?

WILL THEY!?

pricejj 03-08-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3807390)
I still dont understand how corner became our biggest need

John Elway - "You can never have enough Cornerbacks."

If Tracy Porter didn't have seizures and a concussion, the Broncos would have won the Superbowl. They only played Porter at the end of the year, because Carter wasn't getting the job done...and he ultimately failed in the playoffs.

I can guarantee you the Broncos will pick up a FA CB.

Don't get me wrong, they need a bunch of other players too. Two starting DT's, a starting RG, an MLB, probably a starting RDE...and a Safety who can guard TE's.

Requiem 03-08-2013 03:09 PM

We have 4 CB's on our roster. One is 34, Harris is solid and Carter is OK. Bolden is a wildcard. Teams carry 5 CBs. One goes down, WTF do we do?

Would I like to draft a corner for the future? Yes. Would I like veteran leadership from CB and someone worthy of playing 3-5 more years at a high level (Gamble?) yes.

underrated29 03-08-2013 03:23 PM

Xavier Rhodes man. He is always the answer. Always. And to answer the question, sadly no, number 27 won't be there for us at number 28

SonOfLe-loLang 03-08-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricejj (Post 3807397)
John Elway - "You can never have enough Cornerbacks."

If Tracy Porter didn't have seizures and a concussion, the Broncos would have won the Superbowl. They only played Porter at the end of the year, because Carter wasn't getting the job done...and he ultimately failed in the playoffs.

I can guarantee you the Broncos will pick up a FA CB.

Don't get me wrong, they need a bunch of other players too. Two starting DT's, a starting RG, an MLB, probably a starting RDE...and a Safety who can guard TE's.

Wheres the logic in that? If you want to point the cornerback play in the Broncos loss, the finger is firmly directed at Champ Bailey and two long throws. It wasnt like our corners were getting beaten all day. I'm all for depth, but its not our biggest need.

Atwater His Ass 03-08-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie mac (Post 3807356)
It's not just the draft pick compensation either, that $16m per season scares the **** outta me considering we'll need to pay Miller/Thomas/Decker/Beadles/Woodyard/Clady over the next 2 seasons.

and you know, it sure doesnt' seem real smart to be paying a $16M dollar salary to guy just coming off a major injury.

would rather look at re-signing porter before going all in on revis.