The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Facebook sucks (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110318)

ZONA 03-05-2013 06:41 PM

Facebook sucks

I mean it's good for somethings but who here is sick of the daily "you have pending notifications" and when you go and login to facebook, it says you have no notifications.

Seriously, are they that desperate for people to go to facebook everyday.

03-05-2013 06:50 PM

I was on Facebook back in 2006 when it was only for college students and I wasn't even in college. Was telling everyone to dump MySpace for Facebook. Sometime around 2008-9 the artsy hipsters invaded it and I deleted mine. Haven't been on since.

I don't need to know who's doing laundry or what kind of sandwich some clown is eating.

SonOfLe-loLang 03-05-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3805807)
I was on Facebook back in 2006 when it was only for college students and I wasn't even in college. Was telling everyone to dump MySpace for Facebook. Sometime around 2008-9 the artsy hipsters invaded it and I deleted mine. Haven't been on since.

I don't need to know who's doing laundry or what kind of sandwich some clown is eating.

Artsy hipsters? Try corporate america.

BroncoMan4ever 03-05-2013 07:07 PM

i am one of the few americans who has never had and has no interest in a facebook account. and throw in twitter as well.

Requiem 03-05-2013 07:08 PM

I am now on the website Face****. Good way to hook up with chicks.

cutthemdown 03-05-2013 07:12 PM

I use facebook to promote my bands gigs. It links up to the webpage. Plus i got back in touch with some old friends so that was sort of cool. But I could see where a lot of people just have no need for it. If your one of those i could care less about old friends, sharing pictures, liking bands/groups/pages etc to stay updated on their calendar etc etc.

I don't like how they manage the information flow on the site though. But you can turn off notifications to your email.

colorado jones 03-05-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3805825)

No doubt... Tell those hoes about all that phat jack in your retirement account.

Playa.

gunns 03-05-2013 07:19 PM

I signed up for it in April last year so I could get info on getting Tix for the 1st game. Everybody told me I'd get addicted. I didn't. I still don't understand the huge appeal.

broncosteven 03-05-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3805828)
I use facebook to promote my bands gigs. It links up to the webpage. Plus i got back in touch with some old friends so that was sort of cool. But I could see where a lot of people just have no need for it. If your one of those i could care less about old friends, sharing pictures, liking bands/groups/pages etc to stay updated on their calendar etc etc.

I don't like how they manage the information flow on the site though. But you can turn off notifications to your email.

Yep, if I didn't have friends and family scattered all around the country I wouldn't use it either.

I also like that I can get info on events so I can plan concerts or museums etc...

03-05-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3805813)
Artsy hipsters? Try corporate america.

Corporate America came a bit later. Back then though it was people who were too cool for MySpace. Seems the hipsters are dropping off Facebook these days though. Now they are clucking their hooves onto Pheed.

03-05-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Facesit is a good one too

Taco John 03-05-2013 08:43 PM

I exclusively use facebook for laundry and sandwich eating updates.

03-05-2013 09:50 PM

I troll many of the 'friends' I have on certain issues. Good times.

Also +1 on keeping in touch with real friends an family who prefer it to a text message or regular email.

Most of it sucks though. One just needs to apply some generous filtering to what makes I on your wall.

yerner 03-05-2013 10:07 PM

ufc broadcast prelims. other than that it's horse****.

Kaylore 03-05-2013 10:09 PM

I use it to keep in touch with friends and family out of state. They put up what their kids are doing, family pictures, news, etc. There are people who use it to post what they are eating and whatnot, but that is something twitter is used more for and you can unfollow those people. I do agree that facebook hasn't been "cool" anymore for some time, but that's fine. It's a utility for me.

BigPlayShay 03-05-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3805937)
I use it to keep in touch with friends and family out of state. They put up what their kids are doing, family pictures, news, etc. There are people who use it to post what they are eating and whatnot, but that is something twitter is used more for and you can unfollow those people. I do agree that facebook hasn't been "cool" anymore for some time, but that's fine. It's a utility for me.

This + Farmville

pricejj 03-05-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Congratulations, you have recently won the Orangemane 'most likely to catch Clamydia' contest. Dial 1-800-HAV-AIDS to claim your prize.

bombay 03-05-2013 10:53 PM

I managed to kill my facebook page in February. You have to have the willpower to not look at your page for two full weeks to kill it. Facebook, google, and youtube were tracking eveything I did online. Can't quite quit youtube, although I quit the other two.

ZONA 03-05-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3805828)
But you can turn off notifications to your email.

I know there are filters but I just don't get the straight up lie part of it. If they sent a notification that said, hey visit facebook and see what all your friends are up to. I would just delete the email and be cool. But when they say you have notifications and you go there and there are none, that's just F'd up.

Los Broncos 03-06-2013 12:09 AM

I got sucked in to the games on there. But I do like checking to see what friends are doing here and there.

cutthemdown 03-06-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 3805957)
I know there are filters but I just don't get the straight up lie part of it. If they sent a notification that said, hey visit facebook and see what all your friends are up to. I would just delete the email and be cool. But when they say you have notifications and you go there and there are none, that's just F'd up.

Only thing i can think of is somebody posted something that you get a notifcation for, but then deleted it. The notification still goes through. Or the person who admins the page deleted it etc. I have had a couple notifications that led nowhere because of that.

Taco John 03-06-2013 03:11 AM

I actually enjoy facebook. I like to see what my family and friends in other states are up to, and love to be able to share with my family and extended relatives the things going on with myself - especially my kids. It's greases the conversation during reunions as well. All in all, I'd say it's a net positive in my life.

rmsanger 03-06-2013 04:05 AM

Facebook is what you make of it... The site is fine; it's just the people that can make it great or pure shiat!

Keep your friends list short and sweet and you'll have a better experience.

chadta 03-06-2013 05:03 AM

hey Cut, does your band have a page or do you use your personal page ? this might be a good time for a little self promotion.

I use mine for family pictures and stuff, i try to go away as much as i can, and my parents like to see what the grand kids are doing at all times, so its good for that.

I have a site where i post all my food and beer stuff that im eating or drinking, shameless plug ( you can like it and be one of the 10's and 10's of people that do) www.facebook.com/fussyfoody

I have plans for putting recipies and stuff up for some of the stupid foods that i do one of these days.

back to the OP, its even worse on an iphone, every notification shows up in notification center, and shakes the phone as if something important is goign on, turned that off real quick

Pick Six 03-06-2013 07:40 AM

Facebook is where I go, for news. If there is something important, that I need to know, it shows up on my news feed. Plus, I do enjoy some of the games...:thumbsup: