The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Chiefs overpay for Bowe (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110309)

Rascal 03-05-2013 08:18 AM

Chiefs overpay for Bowe

The five-year contract Dwayne Bowe signed with the Chiefs Tuesday is worth a total of $56M and contains $26M in guarantees. Bowe is now the NFL's third highest paid wide receiver, behind only Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald.

:spit:

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/s...51775875047424

Requiem 03-05-2013 08:23 AM

If he was on another team he would be putting up better #'s. QB play hurts his overall ability to make an impact on the field. However, he needs to stop dropping balls. I expected something around $50 million. Who else would they have waiting in the wings? Jon Baldwin? The rest of their depth at WR is extremely young guys who haven't done anything in the NFL: in short -- their WR corps is DOG****.

Rascal 03-05-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3805343)
If he was on another team he would be putting up better #'s. QB play hurts his overall ability to make an impact on the field. However, he needs to stop dropping balls. I expected something around $50 million. Who else would they have waiting in the wings? Jon Baldwin? The rest of their depth at WR is extremely young guys who haven't done anything in the NFL: in short -- their WR corps is DOG****.

They still overpaid.

Crushaholic 03-05-2013 08:27 AM

The chiefs HAD to keep Bowe. They have nobody else. Breaston is not panning out, and Baldwin has his moments...

Tombstone RJ 03-05-2013 08:49 AM

The thing is, Bowe has never had a decent QB to work with so if Alex Smith can get him the ball, he's an explosive WR, big and fast. I think this contract is based on how much kc is planning on using him more than what he's done so far in the NFL.

Requiem 03-05-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 3805346)
They still overpaid.

I'm not disputing that. I was putting the #'s in perspective to his overall value to the franchise. They did what was necessary to keep him on the team. If he walked, they would be up **** creek without a paddle. I expect him to have a great year under Reid and with an above-average QB slinging him the ball.

ColoradoDarin 03-05-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3805373)
I'm not disputing that. I was putting the #'s in perspective to his overall value to the franchise. They did what was necessary to keep him on the team. If he walked, they would be up **** creek without a paddle. I expect him to have a great year under Reid and with an above-average QB slinging him the ball.

This.

Bigdawg26 03-05-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3805373)

I still can't see anything about Alex Smith that would leave you to believe he's above average.

maven 03-05-2013 09:51 AM

They need Bowe back. Now with him, the punter locked up, and franchising Albert. 7 wins!

Requiem 03-05-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 (Post 3805430)
I still can't see anything about Alex Smith that would leave you to believe he's above average.

He is better than what they have rolled with for years. I don't think he is good or great, but he can win games and do some things on the field his predecessors in KFCLand have not been able to do.

Jetmeck 03-05-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rascal (Post 3805346)
They still overpaid.

THEY STILL OVERPAID, this guy is the perfect example of the me first team mate. Alligator arm Mfer...............

Stupid Chiefs.............Alex Smith will go back to his old self on this crappy team and Bowe will be lucky to see the ball.

What a bunch of chumps .... KC management is at least consistent.

Jetmeck 03-05-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3805441)
He is better than what they have rolled with for years. I don't think he is good or great, but he can win games and do some things on the field his predecessors in KFCLand have not been able to do.

What part of game manager for a good team is hard to understand ?

Seriously this guy would be Trent Dilfer 2.0 on a good team......like SF with a good defense and CONSISTENT RUNNING ATTACK.

In Chumpland KC with an inconsistent running game and middle of the pack at best defense he will return to the Trent Dilfer 1.0 version we all knew.

You don't go 4 years stinking it up and then suddenly throw a switch.............SF made him look better.

Anyone who has watched football for years knows this is true.....

03-05-2013 10:22 AM

I think the Chiefs paid a fair price for Bowe, considering what he's done in his career with KC. Still think the Alex Smith move sucks for them though.

Kinda surprised it's not being talked about more, and know he's a good punter but $3.75 a year for a punter just seems insane to me.

03-05-2013 10:52 AM

Sure they overpaid for a WR who is about to turn 29 but they needed to do this if they want to have any chance of making the playoffs. It was a good signing for them.

They have nobody else at WR and a QB like Alex Smith needs all the help he can get.

Rohirrim 03-05-2013 10:59 AM

Bowe's not even in the top fifteen WRs in the NFL. What a joke.

Mogulseeker 03-05-2013 11:03 AM

I tend to agree with those who say he just hasn't had a QB to work with.

Bowe is a beast.

baja 03-05-2013 11:03 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...l_logo.svg.png

Mogulseeker 03-05-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 3805436)
They need Bowe back. Now with him, the punter locked up, and franchising Albert. 7 wins!

I think with Alex Smith alone, they would have been a 9 win team in 2012.

It's not that the Chiefs didnt have talent last year... they were just really, really bad at a couple key aspects of the game that made them one-dimensional and easy to beat.

I'm more afraid of them than the Raiders at this point.

gunns 03-05-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacchus (Post 3805482)
Sure they overpaid for a WR who is about to turn 29 but they needed to do this if they want to have any chance of winning some games. It was a good signing for them.

They have nobody else at WR and a QB like Alex Smith needs all the help he can get.

This. And FIFY

Bigdawg26 03-05-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3805441)

He is better than what they had for the last couple of years. I will agree with that but that aint saying to much.

DaFace 03-05-2013 12:23 PM

I don't think we overpaid at all. The "me first" guys around here clearly haven't been paying attention the last couple years. Also, when you say that he's not "good or great," you have to keep in mind that Cassel was the BEST quarterback he's had throwing to him in his CAREER.

If you're interested in an interesting statistical analysis that was done a few weeks ago, check this out. It concluded that a fair deal for Bowe would have been 5 years, $58 million, $20 million guaranteed.

http://overthecap.com/estimating-the...r-dwayne-bowe/

DaFace 03-05-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolandftw (Post 3805460)
Kinda surprised it's not being talked about more, and know he's a good punter but $3.75 a year for a punter just seems insane to me.

I kind of agree, honestly. Still, Dustin kept us from being even more of an embarrassing team than we were in a lot of games over the past 5 years - to the point that he's fairly commonly jokingly referred to as "MVP" in Chiefs circles. I won't gripe too much that he's sticking around.

03-05-2013 07:37 PM

http://nflhumor.com/wp-content/uploa...61496384_n.jpg

bowtown 03-05-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy (Post 3805496)
I think with Alex Smith alone, they would have been a 9 win team in 2012.

Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!Ha!

rmsanger 03-06-2013 03:33 AM

I think Bowe's best stuff is still in front of him... He's a better WR than what we got; obviously we've got the far superior overall squad.