The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Clady Tagged (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110293)

03-01-2013 02:59 PM

Clady Tagged

Clady has been tagged with the non exclusive tag.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...franchise-tag/

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap10000001462...g-on-ol-clady/

Tombstone RJ 03-01-2013 03:04 PM

two first round picks if another team wants Clady, love it!

Smiling Assassin27 03-01-2013 03:06 PM

Only viable thing to do right now. I have faith that they'll get his deal done.

03-01-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3803994)
two first round picks if another team wants Clady, love it!

I thought the non exclusive tag would come with a smaller cap hit.. Apparently not..?

cutthemdown 03-01-2013 03:08 PM

I doubt any team sign him. They would probably just being the broncos work for them and we just match anyways. I wouldn't trade Clady for 2 first round picks we are too close to winning it all. No reason to jettison the good players for picks right now.

SonOfLe-loLang 03-01-2013 03:11 PM

Much smarter decision. If someone wants to give up a couple of first rounders, by all means. Wont happen though

Tombstone RJ 03-01-2013 03:18 PM

It's way too steep of a price for a guy with a shoulder injury... it pretty much locks Clady in with the Broncos. I really like Clady, he's a great LT and a good guy too. That being said, the Broncos have tried to work with him on a contract that paid him top 3 money but he basically said no. Now the Broncos can tag him and let him do the work on finding a better deal. If the Broncos like it, they match it. If the Broncos don't like it they get two first round picks.

One reason I kind of got tired of Shanahan is that he almost never used the franchise tag, at least that I can remember (I could be wrong, if someone remembers otherwise please cite the example). I'm glad Elway is using this leverage.

hades 03-01-2013 03:26 PM

Shanahan used it, on himself. He was coach for life!

elsid13 03-01-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3804005)
It's way too steep of a price for a guy with a shoulder injury... it pretty much locks Clady in with the Broncos. I really like Clady, he's a great LT and a good guy too. That being said, the Broncos have tried to work with him on a contract that paid him top 3 money but he basically said no. Now the Broncos can tag him and let him do the work on finding a better deal. If the Broncos like it, they match it. If the Broncos don't like it they get two first round picks.

One reason I kind of got tired of Shanahan is that he almost never used the franchise tag, at least that I can remember (I could be wrong, if someone remembers otherwise please cite the example). I'm glad Elway is using this leverage.

Using the franchise tag is not good thing, it screws with the cap space and limits a team ability to sign other players.

Tombstone RJ 03-01-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3804011)
Using the franchise tag is not good thing, it screws with the cap space and limits a team ability to sign other players.

How so? Why do so many teams use it?

crush17 03-01-2013 03:37 PM

This was the smartest move they could make. I was hoping it would be the non-exclusive tag.

Great work JE & co!

03-01-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3803999)
I doubt any team sign him. They would probably just being the broncos work for them and we just match anyways. I wouldn't trade Clady for 2 first round picks we are too close to winning it all. No reason to jettison the good players for picks right now.

I'd hate to see us lose him as well, even for 2 first rounders. The nucleus from last season needs to be together this season.

NFLBRONCO 03-01-2013 04:05 PM

I could see a playoff calibur team might do it. I think low 1's a team might bite.

elsid13 03-01-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3804012)
How so? Why do so many teams use it?

It forces a team to pay large amount in single year taking up a cap space. A long term contract let you prorate the cost over the length of the deal for that player. So many teams use it because better to keep elite player then let him walk and get nothing.

Requiem 03-01-2013 04:14 PM

Ryan Clady is a stud.

Beantown Bronco 03-01-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3804005)

Once on Elam. That's the only time I remember.

OBF1 03-01-2013 04:16 PM

Shocking news. Puts us a bit in the drivers seat when trying to sign him, Look Ryan, NO ONE thought you were worth 2 firsts, so take what we offer :)

Tombstone RJ 03-01-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3804024)
It forces a team to pay large amount in single year taking up a cap space. A long term contract let you prorate the cost over the length of the deal for that player. So many teams use it because better to keep elite player then let him walk and get nothing.

So it's like a 1 year contract with the guaranteed money all paid up front. You'd think the players would like this too but most of them say they can't stand the franchise tag.

Bigdawg26 03-01-2013 04:38 PM

Good! I figured this was going to happen.

elsid13 03-01-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3804039)
So it's like a 1 year contract with the guaranteed money all paid up front. You'd think the players would like this too but most of them say they can't stand the franchise tag.

There's no longer term security and they get less in signing bonuses.

SonOfLe-loLang 03-01-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3804043)

And they can't test the market. But they are getting paid handsomely. I dunno, kings problems.

Heyneck 03-01-2013 04:52 PM

but but... I think we where told by one of our members that this wouldn't happen. That the FO had to sign our departing scrubs because there would be no money.

Tombstone RJ 03-01-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3804043)

I understand, but they also get a huge chunk of change up front. So if Clady get's injured in training camp and can't play a single down, he still get's all his money up front, right? And like I said, the Broncos have already offered him top 3 money and he said no, so now he's the one taking chances with his future. He's banking on more money which is fine, but you never know when an injury will occure too. It's a tricky situation to be in.

Drek 03-01-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyneck (Post 3804046)
but but... I think we where told by one of our members that this wouldn't happen. That the FO had to sign our departing scrubs because there would be no money.

If you had kept up with previous FA discussions you would instead have remembered that all the doom and gloom via or cap number comes AFTER we tag/sign Clady. This just locked up about half of our cap space in a single move. More will be freed in cuts, maybe some restructures, but the point still remains that this team can't spend like drunken sailors. If they keep Clady they likely have one maybe two name players at best they can afford to sign. Picking the young mid-tier types ready to break out is the more necessary method to fill at least a few holes.

Hercules Rockefeller 03-01-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3804024)

Maybe a few years ago.

Payroll = cap hit now