The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   ABC edits out first lady gaffe. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110277)

cutthemdown 02-27-2013 04:30 PM

ABC edits out first lady gaffe.
 
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/did-abc-n...nds-to-charge/

First reported in the Washington Examiner, ABC News edited out first lady Michelle Obama‘s erroneous claim that Chicago teen Hadiya Pendleton was killed when she was shot with an “automatic weapon.” The first lady made this claim in a Tuesday morning appearance on Good Morning America and was quoted in full in ABC News’ online report. The claim was, however, edited out when the interview aired. ABC News responded to the charge on Tuesday saying the cuts were made “solely for time.”

“She was caught in the line of fire because some kids had some automatic weapons they didn’t need,” Michelle Obama said of the late Pendleton, who was shot and killed just days after performing at President Barack Obama’s second inauguration. “I just don’t want to keep disappointing our kids in this country. I want them to know that we put them first.”

ABC News quoted Mrs. Obama in full for their report posted online:

Pony Boy 02-27-2013 07:48 PM

What do you expect when her husband doesn't know the difference either?

cutthemdown 02-27-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony Boy (Post 3802882)
What do you expect when her husband doesn't know the difference either?

In this case i would expect ABC to just play the interview unedited and pounce on mistakes no matter who makes them. You don't have to call her out just ask her to clarify the remark. You don't cut it. Liberals news being cut quite often latley editing things to look how they want. We saw it in the trayvon martin case and a bunch of others.

I'm not saying FOX not a right wing news network but they are still outnumbered when it comes to CBS, NBC, and now ABC also showing they are shills for the left.

Fedaykin 02-28-2013 02:56 AM

"Automatic" is used frequently both by the general public and enthusiast folks to refer to both semi and fully-automatic weapons. Both are indeed 'automatic' weapons (aka self-loading). Typically the vernacular for fully automatic is "machine gun". The term machine gun is also what the ATF uses to classify fully automatic weapons.

The National Automatic Pistol Collectors Association:
http://www.napca.net/

Automatic Pistols for Sale:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Ca...ic-Pistols.htm

Rugar Automatic Pistols for Sale:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Rug....cfm?cat_id=95

Even the names of various loads/guns refer to semi-automatic weapons as simply "automatic" or "auto", such as the .45 ACP (the round designed for use in the original M1911), which stands for .45 Automatic Colt Pistol.

"The M1911 is still carried by some U.S. forces. Its formal designation as of 1940 was Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911 for the original Model of 1911 or Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911A1 for the M1911A1, adopted in 1924. The designation changed to Pistol, Caliber .45, Automatic, M1911A1 in the Vietnam era." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

But I guess it's just that John Browning (the man who invented pretty much every type of automatic weapon) and the U.S. Army don't know the difference between full and semi-auto.

Welcome to human language use and all its associated vagaries. Get over yourselves.

houghtam 02-28-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedaykin (Post 3802962)
"Automatic" is used frequently both by the general public and enthusiast folks to refer to both semi and fully-automatic weapons. Both are indeed 'automatic' weapons (aka self-loading). Typically the vernacular for fully automatic is "machine gun". The term machine gun is also what the ATF uses to classify fully automatic weapons.

The National Automatic Pistol Collectors Association:
http://www.napca.net/

Automatic Pistols for Sale:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search/Ca...ic-Pistols.htm

Rugar Automatic Pistols for Sale:
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Rug....cfm?cat_id=95

Even the names of various loads/guns refer to semi-automatic weapons as simply "automatic" or "auto", such as the .45 ACP (the round designed for use in the original M1911), which stands for .45 Automatic Colt Pistol.

"The M1911 is still carried by some U.S. forces. Its formal designation as of 1940 was Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911 for the original Model of 1911 or Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911A1 for the M1911A1, adopted in 1924. The designation changed to Pistol, Caliber .45, Automatic, M1911A1 in the Vietnam era." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol

Welcome to human language use and all its associated vagaries. Get over yourselves.

LOL

So what's funny here is the paleocons (I like that term, btw) here in this thread have two choices:

They believed that we didn't know the difference between semi-automatic and fully-automatic and were just trying to slip an argument by hoping we wouldn't catch it

OR...

They don't know the difference semi-automatic and fully-automatic, and thought the First Lady's edited speech was evidence of a vast conspiracy

Which is it, chumpstains?

:yayaya:

cutthemdown 02-28-2013 03:44 AM

I know even you two don't believe your arguments. It's obvious they cut that part out because they felt she had made a mistake. You can try to argue she was correct but if so then why would they cut it out? Certainly you don't buy cutting 5 seconds of something saves time do you?

Fedaykin 02-28-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3802966)
I know even you two don't believe your arguments. It's obvious they cut that part out because they felt she had made a mistake. You can try to argue she was correct but if so then why would they cut it out? Certainly you don't buy cutting 5 seconds of something saves time do you?

Don't give one hoot what the first lady said or thought she said. I also don't care about whatever reason the segment was trimmed.

I'm just pointing out that claiming the term "automatic" only applies to full-auto weapons is incorrect.

Perhaps they clipped it because they didn't want to deal with the buffoons who don't understand that?

Fedaykin 02-28-2013 04:32 AM

Speaking of buffoonery about what something is, have you figured out yet cutlet that the issue with "assault rifles" isn't that they "look scary" but about their ballistics and the rate of controllable fire they enable?

Pony Boy 02-28-2013 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houghtam (Post 3802963)
OR...

They don't know the difference semi-automatic and fully-automatic, and thought the First Lady's edited speech was evidence of a vast conspiracy

Which is it, chumpstains?

Come on now you know there is a difference, just ask your boyfriend, he know the difference between fully-erect and semi-erect.

peacepipe 02-28-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony Boy (Post 3802989)
Come on now you know there is a difference, just ask your boyfriend, he know the difference between fully-erect and semi-erect.

Poor puny boy,did you get your feelings hurt. This thread is just getting started and you're already dishing out insults.

houghtam 02-28-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony Boy (Post 3802989)
Come on now you know there is a difference, just ask your boyfriend, he know the difference between fully-erect and semi-erect.

Says the guy who posted in this thread.

So which is it, do you need to be schooled on the difference between semi- and full- or are you unable to have a civil conversation on gun control because you don't even know what the other side's position is.

Either way, those are really your only two choices, and you're looking like a imbecile because of it. I'd like to hear your decision.

Rohirrim 02-28-2013 09:26 AM

Isn't the common term for a .45 caliber pistol an automatic?

houghtam 02-28-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3803100)
Isn't the common term for a .45 caliber pistol an automatic?

I don't know about that, as I'm a liberal who doesn't know anything about guns. But I do know the .44 AutoMag. Made by, get this...AutoMag. Hilarious!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoMag_%28pistol%29

02-28-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3803100)
Isn't the common term for a .45 caliber pistol an automatic?

Can't speak for everyone, but I've never heard a semi automatic handgun referred to as anything but semi automatic or semiauto. At least not in conversational terms.

This would be like someone talking football using a phrase like "Two-back set" while counting the QB. Technically correct... but a clear indication that the person speaking is pretty unfamiliar with the topic at hand.

TonyR 02-28-2013 10:43 AM

So, I guess "liberal" ABC is guilty of some massive cover up here. But then "liberal" mediaite.com covered the story. So, at the end of the day, isn't the world still in balance for the right wingers? On this issue at least? Or does the overblown notion that the lberals are coming to take your guns away have you so much on edge that every little perceived slight is going to get your panties in a bunch?

errand 02-28-2013 10:51 AM

still haven't heard one idea or plan that will keep guns semi-auto or otherwise out of the hands of criminals ....

peacepipe 02-28-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by errand (Post 3803166)
still haven't heard one idea or plan that will keep guns semi-auto or otherwise out of the hands of criminals ....

There are plans such as universal BG checks, We shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

02-28-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacepipe (Post 3803173)
There are plans such as universal BG checks, We shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Does Shotgun JoeBi get to own guns under these new plans? If so, I'd question the legitimacy of the approach. LOL

errand 02-28-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacepipe (Post 3803173)
There are plans such as universal BG checks, We shouldn't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

most criminals know that they cannot pass a background check so what is your plan to get them to go thru the background check?

once again you're expecting law abiding citizens to go through the ringer, jump through the hoops of fire..... that would be like asking you to take a breathalyzer test every time your neighbor gets a DUI

houghtam 02-28-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by errand (Post 3803185)
most criminals know that they cannot pass a background check so what is your plan to get them to go thru the background check?

once again you're expecting law abiding citizens to go through the ringer, jump through the hoops of fire..... that would be like asking you to take a breathalyzer test every time your neighbor gets a DUI

Do you know what straw purchasers are and why they're relevant to this discussion?

TonyR 02-28-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by errand (Post 3803166)
still haven't heard one idea or plan that will keep guns semi-auto or otherwise out of the hands of criminals ....

We should probably just abolish all laws, rules, and regulations because sometimes people might figure out ways to circumvent them. I mean, why have speed limits? Can't stop everybody from speeding! Anarchy is probably the way to go. Good call.

Rohirrim 02-28-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3803143)
Can't speak for everyone, but I've never heard a semi automatic handgun referred to as anything but semi automatic or semiauto. At least not in conversational terms.

This would be like someone talking football using a phrase like "Two-back set" while counting the QB. Technically correct... but a clear indication that the person speaking is pretty unfamiliar with the topic at hand.

When I was in the Army, every officer I knew carried a .45 and called it a "45 Auto."

Hmmm. That's what Colt calls them too. http://www.coltautos.com/1911a1ci.htm

Fedaykin 02-28-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoBeavis (Post 3803143)
Can't speak for everyone, but I've never heard a semi automatic handgun referred to as anything but semi automatic or semiauto. At least not in conversational terms.

This would be like someone talking football using a phrase like "Two-back set" while counting the QB. Technically correct... but a clear indication that the person speaking is pretty unfamiliar with the topic at hand.

So, John Browning is pretty unfamiliar with the topic at hand eh? So is the U.S. Army? Colt? Tons of gun makers and dealers? Gun clubs?

:eyeroll:

The fact that you've only experienced conversation with people who aren't aware the the term "automatic" refers to any self loading weapon (not just those that fire multiple rounds per trigger pull) just means you are the one who is "pretty unfamiliar with the topic at hand". Not the other way around.

Just like you couldn't figure out a chart was displaying over a year old data, even though you were expressly told that fact.

02-28-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3803233)
When I was in the Army, every officer I knew carried a .45 and called it a "45 Auto."

Hmmm. That's what Colt calls them too. http://www.coltautos.com/1911a1ci.htm

That's not Colt's website. This is:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols.aspx

Quote:

Colt pistols have long represented the gold standard in magazine-fed semi-automatic handguns.

Modern semi-automatic pistols all trace their roots to the famed Colt M1911 pistol, designed by John Browning and the standard-issue U.S. military sidearm from 1911 to 1985.
I think they called them auto in the early days as a differentiation from revolvers, since at that point there was no such (practical) thing as a fully automatic handgun. In the modern vernacular, calling a semi-automatic weapon an "automatic" weapon is an odd duck, since folding two very different meanings under one word only serves to confuse. You can do so as part of a textbook or historical discussion if you like. But when the topic of the day is gun control, using automatic in place of semi-automatic only serves to confuse issues. Intentionally or not.

Fedaykin 02-28-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by errand (Post 3803166)
still haven't heard one idea or plan that will keep guns semi-auto or otherwise out of the hands of criminals ....

Still waiting for several folks to at least admit to the reality that an AR-15/.223 or similar weapon is much more deadly (i.e. enables a single person to more quickly kill more people) than a pistol or a rifle that has more recoil.

Pretty much everyone else won't admit it. Will you?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.