The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   General Baseball Thread 2013 (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110255)

SouthStndJunkie 02-24-2013 01:29 PM

General Baseball Thread 2013

Fire up the grill....it's almost time for some Deeetroit Tigers baseball!

SouthStndJunkie 02-24-2013 01:30 PM

TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees outfielder Curtis Granderson suffered a fractured right forearm Sunday after being hit by a pitch in his first at-bat in a spring training game and will be out until at least the first week of May.

maher_tyler 02-24-2013 02:05 PM

I'm interested in how well the Braves do having both Upton brothers on the team. Solid offseason pick ups for them.

02-24-2013 03:42 PM

Do you think Bruce Rondon is ready to close for a team with World Series title aspirations?

Venezuelan throws serious fire (103 mph at times), but has trouble locating it and is taking a major leap (no big league experience) if he breaks camp as the closer.

brncs_fan 02-24-2013 03:44 PM

Let's Go Cardinals!

Lestat 02-24-2013 04:25 PM

ugh, goddamn cheap ass Hal, now our pitching staff is one injury away from finished and we have our best power hitters on the shelf with no relief in sight.

02-24-2013 04:31 PM

Are the a lot of Rockies fans on The Mane?

SoCalBronco 02-24-2013 04:37 PM

Go white Sox.....you can put it on the booooooooooard, yessssss!

Requiem 02-24-2013 04:40 PM

Dear Seattle Mariners,

It is another baseball year. You have the best pitcher in baseball, and arguably three of the top ten pitching prospects in the entire majors. You have some offensive talent, but don't have any big power guys. Please score more than 2 runs a game this year so Felix can actually win 18-20 games like he should ever season. It is criminal that a guy gets ND when he throws 8 awesome innings.

Sincerely,

Sad In Seattle

TheChamp24 02-24-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie (Post 3801052)
TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees outfielder Curtis Granderson suffered a fractured right forearm Sunday after being hit by a pitch in his first at-bat in a spring training game and will be out until at least the first week of May.

This is just flat out ridiculous. First at bat in spring training, and he fractures his forearm and will miss the first month of the season. ARod's out for awhile, Jeter's hobbled by an ankle but should be good to go by the opener, I mean dang the Yankees look like a team you don't really know what to make of right now.

TD4HOF 02-24-2013 07:54 PM

Aww yeah, hardball! Let's Go Mets!

Lestat 02-24-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChamp24 (Post 3801171)
This is just flat out ridiculous. First at bat in spring training, and he fractures his forearm and will miss the first month of the season. ARod's out for awhile, Jeter's hobbled by an ankle but should be good to go by the opener, I mean dang the Yankees look like a team you don't really know what to make of right now.

they're a 210+ budget team trying to pretend they can spend 180-189 mil and not give out big contracts to win and make money.
Hal lost his damn mind and thinks the fans were just going to take it.
now he's in a panic because the rewards for being at 189 mil are half of what was expected and the fans aren't buying tickets like they normally do.

what kind of moron comes out and says you spent money, you're shocked at the fan uproar over not spending on FA's and that you don't believe in contract extensions and aren't a fan of them.

elsid13 02-24-2013 08:19 PM

Just have feeling my BoSox are going to be back in the mix this season.

02-24-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3801196)
Just have feeling my BoSox are going to be back in the mix this season.

Drinking the John Lackey kool aid?

spdirty 02-24-2013 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 (Post 3801100)
Are the a lot of Rockies fans on The Mane?

Yeah, with their ****ed up ownership, pathetic unaccountable GM that spouts the company line, and therefore gets to keep his job for life, manager that a year ago was coaching high school baseball. Because their manager last year couldn't take it and quit, leaving 1.2 million on the table without another job lined up.

It's a pretty disgusting situation. I'll watch, probably until May or June when they are eliminated from pretending to contend for a playoff berth. I won't go to any games though. I'll be damned if I'll support that joke with any of my money.

It sucks. I enjoy watching baseball and going to the games when the Rockies fool me into thinking that they actually know what they're doing.

elsid13 02-25-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWheatGrower (Post 3801205)
Drinking the John Lackey kool aid?

Hell no. Just a feeling that the BP is going to be nasty and that Lester/Buchlotz are going to regain All Star status.

bombay 02-27-2013 01:26 PM

Fangraphs WAR/Salary stuff on Tulo over the past 6 seasons. His 'value' to the team:

2007: $23.1M
2008: $4M
2009: $25.5M
2010: $25.1M
2011: $27.1M
2012: $6.9M (in 47 games)

Tombstone RJ 02-27-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdirty (Post 3801234)
Yeah, with their ****ed up ownership, pathetic unaccountable GM that spouts the company line, and therefore gets to keep his job for life, manager that a year ago was coaching high school baseball. Because their manager last year couldn't take it and quit, leaving 1.2 million on the table without another job lined up.

It's a pretty disgusting situation. I'll watch, probably until May or June when they are eliminated from pretending to contend for a playoff berth. I won't go to any games though. I'll be damned if I'll support that joke with any of my money.

It sucks. I enjoy watching baseball and going to the games when the Rockies fool me into thinking that they actually know what they're doing.

this. Even though I was getting tired of Jim Tracey, and his resignation came as a pleasant suprise to me, obviously it appears to have caught the Rockies completely off base. They are gambling on Walt Weiss but Walt will find out fast that ownership and Dan O'Dowd are just fine with losing. WW will do the usual 3 years to average a .450 winning percentage before he retires or walks away, or O'Dowd fires him.

socalorado 02-27-2013 01:50 PM

http://media.elnuevoherald.com/smedi...g1XN.St.84.JPG
Murderer's Row

02-27-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3802694)
this. Even though I was getting tired of Jim Tracey, and his resignation came as a pleasant suprise to me, obviously it appears to have caught the Rockies completely off base. They are gambling on Walt Weiss but Walt will find out fast that ownership and Dan O'Dowd are just fine with losing. WW will do the usual 3 years to average a .450 winning percentage before he retires or walks away, or O'Dowd fires him.

The ownership deserves some credit for locking up Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez to long-term contracts. This isn't Miami or Kansas City where management is just spitting in the fans' faces.

O'Dowd has gotten way too long of a leash though. The 2007 and 2009 seasons aren't enough when you consider the entire body of work over 13 years. They had a good scouting run in the mid-to-late 2000s, but the system has dried up more recently.

I do think Colorado is a difficult environment to sustain pitching success over time and it's going to be a challenge for any baseball think-tank. I applaud O'Dowd for experimenting with something different last year with the four-man rotation and 80-pitch counts.

But all in all, the Rockies could use some fresh blood in baseball ops. Arizona and San Diego have consistently produced more competitive teams in the time O'Dowd has been there.

bombay 02-27-2013 03:04 PM

Cardinals rookie righthander Michael Wacha was sensational against the mets today. Three innings, no baserunners, 5 Ks. Fastball 93-95, with an exceptional changeup and a plus curveball. He make make it to the bigs very early. He's only 21.

Tombstone RJ 02-27-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWheatGrower (Post 3802736)
The ownership deserves some credit for locking up Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez to long-term contracts. This isn't Miami or Kansas City where management is just spitting in the fans' faces.

O'Dowd has gotten way too long of a leash though. The 2007 and 2009 seasons aren't enough when you consider the entire body of work over 13 years. They had a good scouting run in the mid-to-late 2000s, but the system has dried up more recently.

I do think Colorado is a difficult environment to sustain pitching success over time and it's going to be a challenge for any baseball think-tank. I applaud O'Dowd for experimenting with something different last year with the four-man rotation and 80-pitch counts.

But all in all, the Rockies could use some fresh blood in baseball ops. Arizona and San Diego have consistently produced more competitive teams in the time O'Dowd has been there.

Not buying it. O'Dowd sucks and so does ownership. The Rockies are going on 20 years and what do they have to show for it, one WS appearance? The Marlins and the Diamondbacks have what, 2 or 3 WS championships between the two? San Fran has 2 WS championships as well. Even the pathetic Dodgers are making a huge comback after their previous owners basically stole from the team.

Nah, this team sucks because ownership sucks and O'Dowd is still a joke. He was a joke when he was hired, and he is a joke now, and he will continue to be a joke until he gets fired, which will probably be never.

I bet the friggen Cubs win a WS before this franchise. I bet KC Royals wins a WS before this franchise does.

DBroncos4life 03-05-2013 08:28 PM

http://daps.tv/source-robinson-cano-...-be-suspended/
A Rod, Cano, Granderson, and Braun to be suspended?
Crazy if true.

Lestat 03-05-2013 08:31 PM

i don't see it. A-Rod passed multiple tests before the initial reports of him being linked again to PED's and they tested him,Gio Gonzalez and the rest of the players linked less than a week after the report and they all passed.
so how are they going to suddenly fail now?

DBroncos4life 03-05-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3805922)
i don't see it. A-Rod passed multiple tests before the initial reports of him being linked again to PED's and they tested him,Gio Gonzalez and the rest of the players linked less than a week after the report and they all passed.
so how are they going to suddenly fail now?

I don't know. He called it before so who knows.