The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Off Topics Forum (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Tankless water heaters.. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110217)

lonestar 02-19-2013 06:06 PM

Tankless water heaters..

anyone have one and/or what do you suggest..

will need to replace a 40 gallon tank unit soon and am shopping for tankless.

Have access to either electric or gas.. can install in the existing area or move it outside..

Ideas?

Dr. Broncenstein 02-21-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestar (Post 3799062)
anyone have one and/or what do you suggest..

will need to replace a 40 gallon tank unit soon and am shopping for tankless.

Have access to either electric or gas.. can install in the existing area or move it outside..

Ideas?

I have one. It heats the water in our master bathroom using natural gas. We also have a large electric tank heater for most of the house, but part of that his partially heated by our geothermal system. Anyhow, the on demand heater works great. The master shower has multiple sprayers and it stays consistently hot for as long as you like. The heater is tiny and is mounted in a small cabinet in my wife's closet. The only minor inconvenience is the 30-45 second delay from the time the faucet is turned on until the hot water comes out.

lonestar 02-21-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3799667)
I have one. It heats the water in our master bathroom using natural gas. We also have a large electric tank heater for most of the house, but part of that his partially heated by our geothermal system. Anyhow, the on demand heater works great. The master shower has multiple sprayers and it stays consistently hot for as long as you like. The heater is tiny and is mounted in a small cabinet in my wife's closet. The only minor inconvenience is the 30-45 second delay from the time the faucet is turned on until the hot water comes out.

I live in an area that water is at a premium. High desert with the main supply coming from wells in the area some coming for the rio grande..

So waiting the long for heat is an issues. I just installed a water recirculating unit to help get hot water to kitchen on the other side of house.

Have you had any maintaince issues with either unit? And what sizes are they GM and btu. would you mind telling me brand names? And why you choose those units over others.

Thanks

Dr. Broncenstein 02-21-2013 10:10 AM

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Z...25281%2529.JPG

Looks like a Rinnai 175. I know nothing about it so I snapped a pic with my phone. It's about a year old. Left it up to the builder and plumber when building my custom home.

Dr. Broncenstein 02-21-2013 10:15 AM

Sounds like a hair dryer when it kicks on. You have to be in the closet or on the other side of the wall at the exhaust to hear it, but it does have a funny sound.

lonestar 02-21-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3799739)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Z...25281%2529.JPG

Looks like a Rinnai 175. I know nothing about it so I snapped a pic with my phone. It's about a year old. Left it up to the builder and plumber when building my custom home.

does it have a metal exhaust or a PVC plastic one..

that seems to be one of the major expenses of going tankless.. most require stainless steel..

what kind of warranty did they give you on the tank..

Dr. Broncenstein 02-21-2013 12:30 PM

That is PVC going straight out the wall. The other side of the wall is the exterior side. I don't know what the warranty is. It's buried in a mountain of papers and receipts in a file cabinet that I'm not about to go looking through. And yes, my 6000 sq ft custom home construction on 65 acres of beautiful half pasture / half woods in the Ozarks with a continuous running stream on the front acreage probably makes libruls upset. I'm successful and I don't apologize for it.

lonestar 02-21-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3799848)
That is PVC going straight out the wall. The other side of the wall is the exterior side. I don't know what the warranty is. It's buried in a mountain of papers and receipts in a file cabinet that I'm not about to go looking through. And yes, my 6000 sq ft custom home construction on 65 acres of beautiful half pasture / half woods in the Ozarks with a continuous running stream on the front acreage probably makes libruls upset. I'm successful and I don't apologize for it.

Thanks about both. I was told that rinai had to have stainless steel double insulated exhaust. Which about doubles the cost in my install.

As for being a success I suspec that accodiring to Nobama you did nothing on your own and the government was responsible for it.

Ahahahahahaha

ghwk 02-21-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein (Post 3799848)

Who's upset with your success??? Just give me half of everything and we're all good! :rofl:

God forbid I have to say that that is a JOKE, but just in case....it was a joke. Good for you doc, sounds like a beautiful setup.

txtebow 02-24-2013 07:11 PM

It's phenomenal...we have a 4900 sq ft home with 5 full baths and a mother in law suite and we get hot water on demand....