The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Clady to receive franchise tag (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110182)

Rascal 02-15-2013 09:52 AM

Clady to receive franchise tag
 
Ryan Clady is an unrestricted free agent who isn't going anywhere.

The Broncos' All Pro left tackle will return to protect Peyton Manning's blind side.

"We're going to tag him," said John Elway, the Broncos' senior vice president of football operations.

Elway added that placing a franchise tag on Clady, a procedure that will be made as soon as Tuesday, does not preclude the team and player from working out a multiyear contract extension.

"We'd like to work something out, like we did last year," Elway said, referring to contract negotiations with Clady that broke off prior to training camp. "Things have changed a little bit because he's coming off a shoulder surgery. But we like Ryan. We like him a lot as a player and we'd like to get something done."

Elway had just taken a break from "The Cave," as he calls it, the coaches' conference room where he and his scouts, personnel assistants and John Fox's coaching staff had just spent the first six hours of Thursday going over draft-eligible safeties.



Read more: Broncos' Ryan Clady to receive franchise tag as John Elway begins busy offseason - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz2KzHw1Dps
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Rohirrim 02-15-2013 09:56 AM

... going over draft-eligible safeties.

Well, that's encouraging. :thumbs:

phibacka31 02-15-2013 09:58 AM

Not surprised one bit. Makes a lot of sense actually with the shoulder injury.

phibacka31 02-15-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3797522)
... going over draft-eligible Quarterbacks....

Well, that's encouraging. :thumbs:

Just showing that as a writer I could place any position here and it would still be true... They're going to look at every single position, obviously some longer then others, but still...

Requiem 02-15-2013 10:08 AM

Lonestar response in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 . . .

02-15-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3797527)
Lonestar response in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 . . .

Wait for it...

DBroncos4life 02-15-2013 10:22 AM

Man football is a business with bottom lines Elway is just another fan boi.

LetsGoBroncos 02-15-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phibacka31 (Post 3797523)
Not surprised one bit. Makes a lot of sense actually with the shoulder injury.

Good point. See how he performs for a season after surgery

Chris 02-15-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phibacka31 (Post 3797524)
Just showing that as a writer I could place any position here and it would still be true... They're going to look at every single position, obviously some longer then others, but still...

...going over draft-eligible long snappers.... :thumbs:

Drek 02-15-2013 10:46 AM

Not surprising. He turned down more in per year money with last year's extension than what the cap number for a LT is going to be this year. If he's looking to get every penny he can with no home town discount why wouldn't we tag him and save a little money next season? Its not like he's less likely to sign here next year if we're the highest bidder just because we tagged him.

peacepipe 02-15-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drek (Post 3797544)
Not surprising. He turned down more in per year money with last year's extension than what the cap number for a LT is going to be this year. If he's looking to get every penny he can with no home town discount why wouldn't we tag him and save a little money next season? Its not like he's less likely to sign here next year if we're the highest bidder just because we tagged him.

Where is it written that he should do a hometown discount?

kappys 02-15-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacepipe (Post 3797552)
Where is it written that he should do a hometown discount?

Nowhere just like it's not written that the broncos should resign him with a huge signing bonus rather than tag him. The hometown discount is done to help facilitate a deal with the current team that provides the player with security visavie a large signing bonus and allows the team to wrap up a tip quality player at a small discount

Kaylore 02-15-2013 11:46 AM

http://clutch.mtv.com//wp-content/up...tET1qjdx0q.gif

Lestat 02-15-2013 12:13 PM

smart move, he's the key FA and the guy we can't afford to lose.

ludo21 02-15-2013 12:19 PM

i can dig

Heyneck 02-15-2013 12:21 PM

You could see this coming a mile away... well, unless you are Lonestar.

Natedogg 02-15-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyneck (Post 3797586)
You could see this coming a mile away... well, unless you are Lonestar.

crapstar.

cutthemdown 02-15-2013 12:35 PM

Just like I said would most likely happen.

Requiem 02-15-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3797594)
Just like I said would most likely happen.

You and everybody else. Hilarious!

Houshyamama 02-15-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kappys (Post 3797566)
Nowhere just like it's not written that the broncos should resign him with a huge signing bonus rather than tag him. The hometown discount is done to help facilitate a deal with the current team that provides the player with security visavie a large signing bonus and allows the team to wrap up a tip quality player at a small discount

http://www.atleastihavechicken.com/w...ect-760648.jpg

Bob's your Information Minister 02-15-2013 02:42 PM

Haha. Albert is going to get paid before Clady.

Albert > Clady

extralife 02-15-2013 03:31 PM

The fact that Elway chose to mention the shoulder injury to the media means there is no way in hell a long term deal is going to get done. They're going to lower the offer and Clady's agent will have no part of that.

broncosteven 02-15-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister (Post 3797641)
Haha. Albert is going to get paid before Clady.

Albert > Clady

Technically a FA tag ensures payment so Clady is sure to get paid. What is going on with Albert? I wonder if Chicago doesn't throw a bag full of money his way and he bails to a real team.

02-15-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3797701)
Technically a FA tag ensures payment so Clady is sure to get paid. What is going on with Albert? I wonder if Chicago doesn't throw a bag full of money his way and he bails to a real team.

Albert said he wants to stay in KC and the Chiefs have spoken to his people. We're gonna keep him.

He's a top 10 LT.

02-15-2013 06:26 PM

Franchising Clady could be risky. Clady, if he is angered by this could holdout every off-season workout, training camp, and well into the season. This happens all the time.

There are a lot of quality T set to be FA's this year. If Denver does not want to pay him maybe they should just sign one of these cheaper guys and let Clady go.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.