The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   OT: When did an 18% tip become mandatory? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110109)

v2micca 02-08-2013 07:37 AM

OT: When did an 18% tip become mandatory?
 
As the off season has truly begun, I figured I would throw this out there. Growing up, I had several sisters who had jobs as waitresses. So, I knew the importance of tips to their livelihoods. But, even so, I was always raised with the impression that no matter how bad the service, I should at least leave 10%, that around 15% was standard, and 20% if I felt I received very good service. I mentioned this on another message board and was excoriated for it as a cheapskate that didn't deserve to dine out. I was further informed that anyone who left below 18% was scum of the earth.

So, honestly, when did 18% become the minimum mandatory tipping point for a night out? When did tipping go from being a way to reward good service, to a mandatory fee for the pleasure of some stranger bringing me food, on top of the restaurant charging me $25 for five bucks worth of steak.

vancejohnson82 02-08-2013 07:48 AM

I tend to base it around that 15% number....

maybe stop posting on the 1%ers for Life message board....I was kicked off after they found out I wiped with two ply toilet paper

TheElusiveKyleOrton 02-08-2013 07:59 AM

I don't think that 18% is the standard, but I also don't mind keeping those happy who serve me food and drink. I tip 20% unless the service was bad. If it's exceptionally bad, I go down to 10%.

18% is the standard auto-grat for large parties though.

SouthStndJunkie 02-08-2013 08:05 AM

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/enJwYaeolXc?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/enJwYaeolXc?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

SonOfLe-loLang 02-08-2013 08:13 AM

I generally tip twenty percent since it seems that wait staff makes all their money off that. From what i understand, its a pretty uniquely american thing, but like Euro wait staff actually makes real wages, not minimum and a tip split

Beantown Bronco 02-08-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton (Post 3794457)
I don't think that 18% is the standard, but I also don't mind keeping those happy who serve me food and drink. I tip 20% unless the service was bad. If it's exceptionally bad, I go down to 10%.

18% is the standard auto-grat for large parties though.

Same here. I only fine dine once or twice a year. The majority of the time, it's local chains or family restaurants and we're only spending $50-75 for the 4 of us, so the difference between 15-20% tip is usually like $2-3, so I just figure out 20% and then round it up to the next dollar so I have an even credit card bill every time.

RhymesayersDU 02-08-2013 08:22 AM

I once heard the theory that 20% became the new standard because it was super easy to do the math in your head. Don't know how true that is, though.

Anyways I don't know that I've ever stiffed someone but I will definitely lower the tip if the service was awful.

02-08-2013 08:23 AM

I tip twenty unless it is one of those situations where they bring out the food and I never see them again. Nothing burns my bacon more than having a plate full of spicy food and no drink, or having to hunt down someone to bring me my check or to take my card when all I want to do is get the **** out of there. Then it drops, sharply.

spdirty 02-08-2013 08:28 AM

I just round it up. Example if the bill is $23.84, my tip will be $6.16. If the service is excellent, I'll bump it up to $11.16. But if the service is bad, I'd just round it up to $25.00. If the service is really really bad, like my order is wrong and the waiter/waitress is rude and standing around bs'ing, and it gets to the point where going in there pissed me off, screw it I'll stiff em.

Requiem 02-08-2013 08:29 AM

The amount I tip completely depends on the service I am receiving.

crush17 02-08-2013 08:35 AM

20% is standard, not 18. Don't be cheap, this is how servers make a living...

Now delivery guys on the other hand....

Broncomutt 02-08-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang (Post 3794470)
I generally tip twenty percent since it seems that wait staff makes all their money off that. From what i understand, its a pretty uniquely american thing, but like Euro wait staff actually makes real wages, not minimum and a tip split


I waited tables from '92-'98 at several restaurants and made $2.12 an hour as my wage. We didn't get minimum wage. An 8 hour day netted me $17, from which I still had to pay taxes. Our weekly paychecks were like $12 after taxes, and if you fully declared all your tips, some people actually owed money on payday. Needless to say most servers don't declare all their tips.

Smiling Assassin27 02-08-2013 08:40 AM

It apparently became mandatory when the overall service in the food industry blew by 3% more.

Boobs McGee 02-08-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU (Post 3794476)
I once heard the theory that 20% became the new standard because it was super easy to do the math in your head. Don't know how true that is, though.

Anyways I don't know that I've ever stiffed someone but I will definitely lower the tip if the service was awful.

That sounds very plausible actually...the sad part is that there are SO many people out there who don't know how to do simple percentages.

I've always been a 15-20% tipper, worked in the food industry when I was younger, they make **** for actual wages, blah blah blah.

But seriously, there seems to be a deficiency when it comes to basic math skills. Nowadays (and holy **** i feel old all of a sudden haha) it seems that everywhere I go, counting back change is a lost art.

SonOfLe-loLang 02-08-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncomutt (Post 3794488)
I waited tables from '92-'98 at several restaurants and made $2.12 an hour as my wage. We didn't get minimum wage. An 8 hour day netted me $17, from which I still had to pay taxes. Our weekly paychecks were like $12 after taxes, and if you fully declared all your tips, some people actually owed money on payday. Needless to say most servers don't declare all their tips.

Wow.

Well, there ya have it.

Pseudofool 02-08-2013 08:55 AM

Twenty percent is industry standard. This is especially the case at higher end restaurants. I've been waiting tables throughout graduate school, and in various places throughout the country for ten years. Eighteen percent is what most restaurants will apply to autogratuity situations (big parties, specials, coupons).

If I get around twenty percent, I'm fine with it, even if it's low. But if I do great job, develop a real rapport with the table, make tactful and effective recommendations, I often get 25 to 30 percent.

Anything lower than 18% communicates 1) that the server did unacceptable job 2) you are cheap. You may not agree with it; but that's what your tip communicates. If you return to that same restaurant, you can probably expect to get the service you previously paid for (i.e. you've made yourself a low priority). If you don't like tipping that much, order in.

Part of the reason for this is not only do servers get paid low hourly wage (around 2 bucks, except on the left coast), typically restaurants, esp. higher end one, only are open for four or five hours. So a server must make their living wage between those hours, even if they have other duties that can take an hour or two (opening, closing, sidework). And trust me, most servers have a second job or go to school, because it is difficult to make a living-wage exclusively waiting tables five days a week.

To put it in perspective, when I go out to eat, as a person in the industry, I tip 30%, unless I receive horrible service. And I live right at the poverty line.

Kaylore 02-08-2013 08:55 AM

How are those people with degrees in the "green jobs" initiative going to pay their rent?

Pseudofool 02-08-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3794499)
How are those people with degrees in the "green jobs" initiative going to pay their rent?

This makes me cringe and is frankly insulting; this kind of joke only flies in insular business communities. As if there's something ignoble about trying to develop a career out of meaningful work or something one's passionate about, and finding you have to supplement it with waiting tables. Poor form.

maven 02-08-2013 09:05 AM

15% for avg service, 20% for excellent service. 0% if you blow.

Side note, I ****ing hate tipping. Go **** yourself whoever created this BS tipping society in America.

Kaylore 02-08-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudofool (Post 3794505)
This makes me cringe and is frankly insulting; this kind of joke only flies in insular business communities. As if there's something ignoble about trying to develop a career out of meaningful work or something one's passionate about, and finding you have to supplement it with waiting tables. Poor form.

Please. I worked the food industry while my wife was pregnant. Get over yourself.

Pseudofool 02-08-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3794509)
Please. I worked the food industry while my wife was pregnant. Get over yourself.

Then why'd you make the joke? Who finds that funny?

It's like saying I have a black friend, so I can make racist jokes. Give me a break.

peacepipe 02-08-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v2micca (Post 3794446)
As the off season has truly begun, I figured I would throw this out there. Growing up, I had several sisters who had jobs as waitresses. So, I knew the importance of tips to their livelihoods. But, even so, I was always raised with the impression that no matter how bad the service, I should at least leave 10%, that around 15% was standard, and 20% if I felt I received very good service. I mentioned this on another message board and was excoriated for it as a cheapskate that didn't deserve to dine out. I was further informed that anyone who left below 18% was scum of the earth.

So, honestly, when did 18% become the minimum mandatory tipping point for a night out? When did tipping go from being a way to reward good service, to a mandatory fee for the pleasure of some stranger bringing me food, on top of the restaurant charging me $25 for five bucks worth of steak.

18% has been been pretty standard for as far back as the mid 90s. 15% is generally the minimum for avg. service to 20% or more for great service.
let me be clear on this TIPPING IS NOT A CHARITY,IT IS PAYING FOR SERVICES RENDERED. It has never been a way to reward good service. a way to reward good service,is to leave more than the standard 18%.

I leave 20% at a minimum regardless of the service. If the service/experience is really bad I just dont go back to that restaurant. If I get great service I leave 25-30% tip.

If you have a problem paying 25 dollars for a 5 dollar steak stay home and cook one.

Pseudofool 02-08-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 3794506)
15% for avg service, 20% for excellent service. 0% if you blow.

Side note, I ****ing hate tipping. Go **** yourself whoever created this BS tipping society in America.

You'd just have to pay more for food. Tipping zero percent is never okay.

Kaylore 02-08-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pseudofool (Post 3794515)
Then why'd you make the joke? Who finds that funny?

It's like saying I have a black friend, so I can make racist jokes. Give me a break.

Because it was funny. I have three reps with "lol" in them and I put that joke up thirty minutes ago. And it's not like this thread is "rockin" or anything.

You're just annoyed because it indirectly ripped on Obama's crappy policies.

Dedhed 02-08-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 3794506)
15% for avg service, 20% for excellent service. 0% if you blow.

Side note, I ****ing hate tipping. Go **** yourself whoever created this BS tipping society in America.

I don't get why people get bent about stuff like this. If you don't want to pay extra for service, here's a crazy novel idea; DON'T GET SERVED!!!!!!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.