The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fast, fun car - good mileage? Any advice? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110101)

cmhargrove 02-07-2013 02:54 PM

Fast, fun car - good mileage? Any advice?

Ok, so I am getting ready to have my youngest child driving in a couple months. Our tradition is that we hand down our older cars to the kids and upgrade. My wife says it's time for me to "get a fast car" as I pass down my 2002 GMC Yukon XL (family boat) to my son.

So, any recommendations?

If possible, I would also like something with the best city mileage I can get. So, fast.... Yet as easy as possible on the gas... Can I do both???

I have always been a Mustang fan, so I started looking at the new v6 convertibles, and talked with someone locally about adding a supercharger. So, good gas mileage when I don't hammer down (better than the GT), but fun when I do.

I thought I would ask for suggestions. Any advice?

MagicHef 02-07-2013 03:19 PM

I have a 2001 MR2 with a turbo added. Ridiculously fast and handles better than anything else I've ever driven. It only has 2 seats and absolutely no cargo room, though.

I can get close to 40 mpg if I drive responsibly. Somehow that never happens, though, so it's more like 30-35 mpg.

Paladin 02-07-2013 03:25 PM

Tesla

CEH 02-07-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin (Post 3794197)
Tesla

They have a tesla store inside park meadows mall
Strange to see a car store inside the mall

MagicHef 02-07-2013 04:12 PM

Whoa, I just realized that my car is 12 years old. You're probably looking for something newer.

broncosteven 02-07-2013 04:20 PM

I really want to buy another 3 series BMW. They have the new 4 cylinder with a Turbo that is supposed to be really good on mileage. They also offer it in a 6 with Turbo. If you don't get navigation and every upgrade package they do make sense. Mine is on 112,000 miles. I want to see how many miles I can get out of it. I still love the thing and would buy another in a heart beat.

Tombstone RJ 02-07-2013 04:31 PM

how fast you wanna go is based on how much you wanna spend. How much do you wanna spend?

Ironlung 02-07-2013 04:32 PM

If you like mustangs & superchargers check out a 03-04 Cobra (Terminator). I absolutely love mine. Ive never been in a car thats more fun....gas mileage? Not so great but ive never heard of a 500 hp car getting good gas mileage.

gyldenlove 02-07-2013 04:33 PM

Hmm, the M3 is the best selling true performance car in the world and a great ride - but you get what you pay for.

The Caddy CTS-V is a really solid drive as well, it has a corvette V8 or just the CTS with the 3.6 V6 - I am not sure if they do a V6 version with blow, but I am sure you could put a turbo on it.

Mogulseeker 02-07-2013 04:40 PM

They're planning on introducing a new version of the Tesla at less than 60k.... might be worth looking into. I'm not sure if it's been rolled out yet. I took a class on venture capital as an undergrad and I did a profile on Elon Musk. The man is a genius.

hades 02-07-2013 04:43 PM

I've heard some really good things about the 6 cylinder Mustang and a turbo, instead of a super charger. Can't go wrong with either tho! :thumbsup:

I had an 01 GT with twin turbos, and my MPG was the same when I didn't have lead foot syndrome, compared to when it was stock.

02-07-2013 04:46 PM

Subaru Impreza WRX
boxer engine, turbo, smooth ride, decent mileage, AWD, affordable, it's a Subaru so as long as you maintain it, it'll probably last a long while.

Check out the STI model

gyldenlove 02-07-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy (Post 3794227)
Subaru Impreza WRX
boxer engine, turbo, smooth ride, decent mileage, AWD, affordable, it's a Subaru so as long as you maintain it, it'll probably last a long while.

Check out the STI model

There are few things thirstier than a 2 L 4 cylinder engine with a huge turbo that is being caned - but when you don't put the hammer down it is good on gas.

02-07-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyldenlove (Post 3794228)
There are few things thirstier than a 2 L 4 cylinder engine with a huge turbo that is being caned - but when you don't put the hammer down it is good on gas.

yeah, I was taking the city driving thing into consideration when I was talking about the gas mileage. Definitely don't want to be flooring it and turboing all the time otherwise it'll drain your gas fo sho. But as far as finding the median between a good city car & a quick ride on the interstate, I think it's a good car

Tombstone RJ 02-07-2013 04:59 PM

Subaru has come out with a little RWD only sports car, a little pocket rocket so to speak. They are also building it for Scion and rebaging it as a Scion but it's got the same boxer engine and is RWD. Toyota is investing in Subaru hence this new project/relationship.

Ironlung 02-07-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3794232)
Subaru has come out with a little RWD only sports car, a little pocket rocket so to speak. They are also building it for Scion and rebaging it as a Scion but it's got the same boxer engine and is RWD. Toyota is investing in Subaru hence this new project/relationship.

My neighbor just got one of these. It looks sweet but only 190hp. It's just begging for turbos.

Tombstone RJ 02-07-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironlung (Post 3794237)
My neighbor just got one of these. It looks sweet but only 190hp. It's just begging for turbos.

yah but how light is it? I think that is one reason Subaru didn't go with the AWD, weight savings. You don't need a lot of horsepower if you got a lighter car.

I'm sure it's not blindingly fast...

02-07-2013 05:31 PM

I commute to work in a 335i BMW, and that fits your criteria. Maybe not the most economical or quickest but it will hold its own vs others listed in this thread without a goofy looking wing on the back.

Cito Pelon 02-07-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncosfanGuy (Post 3794227)
Subaru Impreza WRX

Check out the STI model

That's probably the best bang for the buck vehicle on the road, IMO. I see a lot of them, drove a couple of them, very nice vehicle. Not a "status" vehicle, though.

Dude in the OP may want a status fast and fun vehicle, and that would be the BMW or the Lexus. The 3 series, the 5 series from BMW or the Lexus IS or GS series. Those are the premium vehicles for fast and fun - with luxury.

Ironlung 02-07-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3794238)
yah but how light is it? I think that is one reason Subaru didn't go with the AWD, weight savings. You don't need a lot of horsepower if you got a lighter car.

I'm sure it's not blindingly fast...

2762lbs. Weighs more than i would've guessed. I like the looks of these cars alot. They certainly look fast.

broncosteven 02-07-2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 3794240)
I commute to work in a 335i BMW, and that fits your criteria. Maybe not the most economical or quickest but it will hold its own vs others listed in this thread without a goofy looking wing on the back.

See! I told you guys.

Nothing like a 3 series.

ak1971 02-07-2013 05:50 PM

Audi S6

broncosteven 02-07-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ak1971 (Post 3794247)
Audi S6

Figured you as a Mini Cooper guy for some reason.

chadta 02-07-2013 05:52 PM

my buddy has one of these, its awesome

http://www.mercedes-amg.com/s63.php?lang=eng

630 horse V12 family sedan, paddle shifter, fun fun car to drive

Ironlung 02-07-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 3794240)

I don't think it could hold its own against the sti, cts-v, or cobra.