The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Elvis Dumervil - What do the Broncos do with him? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110082)

crush17 02-04-2013 10:18 AM

Elvis Dumervil - What do the Broncos do with him?

I would like to have some intelligent discussion about this subject - seeing as how we're in Offseason Mode and there's not much else going on.

I am curious to get everyone's thoughts:

Should the Broncos actively look to move Elvis Dumervil this offseason?

Don't get me wrong - I love Elvis. I love having him on this team. However, I do not feel that he is currently worth the amount he is getting paid. I am open to this line of thought based on two factors:

1) His production has not improved to where we hoped it would after his string of injuries and his play does not merit the salary he is due to make.

2) The Broncos need all the help they can get money wise if we are going to keep this team contending for a championship for the next 2-3 seasons.

I do believe we have a servicable replacement already waiting in Robert Ayers, and more help can be brought in via draft/free agency.

If we can move his salary AND get draft picks or a good player in return, it is a win/win for the Broncos.

Is it time for the Broncos to persue this move? Should they ask him to re-structure?

ludo21 02-04-2013 10:21 AM

10 + sacks and a bunch of forced FF.... Im going to say hell no, he is invaluable as a pass rusher, you dont give those kinds of guys away.

but it does deserve a discussion for offseason pruposes..

crush17 02-04-2013 10:26 AM

Really, for me it comes down to the amount of money his salary is eating up. I just don't know how we pay him, Kuper, Clady, Manning, Bailey, and then Von, DT and Decker when their contracts are due.

SonOfLe-loLang 02-04-2013 10:28 AM

Move him no, restructure his contract, yes

MagicHef 02-04-2013 10:28 AM

2011 & 2012 were the high points of his contract, salary wise. He gets cheaper every year from now on. Also, he is one of the 10 best passrushers in the league (or at least was this season).

Keep him.

Requiem 02-04-2013 10:28 AM

Thanks for starting this discussion.

IIRC -- his deal ends up getting friendlier by two million a year less from here on out until it expires, but regardless I think he should be a candidate for re-structure for the two years over 10 million that still remaine. I can't imagine he gets dealt in a trade with how high his salary is. That is just my personal opinion on the matter. There is a lot to like about what he can do in the pass rushing department, but have always felt his performance against the run was average. However, he seemed to make some plays in that regard this year and did a great job forcing fumbles (6).

There are a lot of good edge rushers in this draft who I would like to have added to our dynamic. I don't think that Robert Ayers is a replacement for Dumervil, but someone we should consider retaining for depth as the future goes on. Jack Del Rio absolutely raved about Ayers when he was coaching at Mobile, so perhaps he will get an opportunity to shine in 2013.

FWIW, I think we clearly need to add another DL with some pass rushing talent to who we have right now. We had some great sack numbers this year, but we could put on some more firepower there. We didn't get much penetration against the Ravens in our Divisional Round loss.

In short. Dumervil should be a candidate for re-structure to save a couple million now and 2014. Don't think we have anyone who could realistically replace his production on top as of right now. Plus his middle name is Kool. Koolbeans.

Gutless Drunk 02-04-2013 10:29 AM

Elvis, Champ & Manning need to volunteer for pay cuts. 10-20 Million a year is for players who make plays in the big time games.

jutang 02-04-2013 10:33 AM

I think Miller and Dumerville could be more devestating with a DT that can collapse the pocket. Denver's fierce passrush can be neutralized if the quarterback can step up in the pocket. Keeping Doom is a must if Denver wants to win the Super Bowl in the next two years. With Denver's short window you need to keep all of their best players to have a realistic shot at winning.

spdirty 02-04-2013 10:34 AM

First and foremost we need to teach him where to line up, and if he lines up offsides it's a penalty and hurts the goal of the team, no matter what happens on that particular play.

02-04-2013 10:36 AM

I think it's interesting food for thought.. I have pondered this myself, there are some really good pass rushers in the draft. Someone like Oakfor may be there @28, and he is solid against the run as well as a pass rusher...

But.. this would largely depend on what we are getting back in return.. To even be considered..

Kaylore 02-04-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 3792782)
2011 & 2012 were the high points of his contract, salary wise. He gets cheaper every year from now on. Also, he is one of the 10 best passrushers in the league (or at least was this season).

Keep him.

I agree with this. His salary is going to get better as he gets older. If he tries to hold out then that's one thing, but I say let him keep his money. I am not against trading any player for the right price and I would listen to offers, but I don't think you need to go looking to move him.

02-04-2013 10:48 AM

cut him and trade for revis

oubronco 02-04-2013 10:49 AM

If they would ever call holding he would have the sack record

02-04-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jutang (Post 3792789)
I think Miller and Dumerville could be more devestating with a DT that can collapse the pocket. Denver's fierce passrush can be neutralized if the quarterback can step up in the pocket. Keeping Doom is a must if Denver wants to win the Super Bowl in the next two years. With Denver's short window you need to keep all of their best players to have a realistic shot at winning.

I agree with this. Denver still needs a disruptive interior pass rusher to take some of the burden off the edge rushers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by g6matty (Post 3792802)

would probably work in Madden

TheReverend 02-04-2013 10:59 AM

If you want to see a big drop in pressure from our defense, sure.

Not only will it remove Elvis' pressure, but it will have a large impact on Von's #s as well.

This isn't fantasy football.

enjolras 02-04-2013 11:00 AM

http://ferringtonpost.com/wp-content...oto-by-2bp.jpg

Heyneck 02-04-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g6matty (Post 3792802)

What did we achieve with having Champ with no pass rush under the Shanny years get us?

eddie mac 02-04-2013 11:14 AM

No need to restructure his deal considering there isn't $1 of guaranteed money left. I'd give him a new contract lowering the numbers a bit but giving him more guaranteed money.

mwill07 02-04-2013 11:15 AM

he's currently the #11th highest paid DE in the league, and was 6th in the league for sacks from the DE position. Depending on how you measure him, he seems to be at least a top 10-20 DE relative to the rest of the league.

link

He seems to be playing up to the level of his contract, and as some underpaid guys start making what they are worth and Elvis' contract decreases, his pay relative to comparable DE's will only go down.

Keeping Elvis, even at his high contract level, is probably a value proposition at this point.

crush17 02-04-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwill07 (Post 3792831)
he's currently the #11th highest paid DE in the league, and was 6th in the league for sacks from the DE position. Depending on how you measure him, he seems to be at least a top 10-20 DE relative to the rest of the league.

link

He seems to be playing up to the level of his contract, and as some underpaid guys start making what they are worth and Elvis' contract decreases, his pay relative to comparable DE's will only go down.

Keeping Elvis, even at his high contract level, is probably a value proposition at this point.

Good stuff. Makes me feel a lot better about the situation.
I still have concerns about how this team is supposed to be able to pay all of it's core players at this point though.

02-04-2013 11:17 AM

I don't understand. You pay good money for good players. So when you have a good player under contract, why would you move him? Makes no sense to me...

02-04-2013 11:19 AM

His contract wasn't just for future seasons. It was rewarding him for the seasons he overachieved on his previous contract.

Right now only fans are even talking about this. The FO is firm on him. JDR gets another offseason to build around miller and doom. Can't break that up.

2KBack 02-04-2013 11:23 AM

I'm more interested in getting a DE to play opposite of him so we can keep Wolfe at DT

gyldenlove 02-04-2013 11:27 AM

There is no incentive to restructure his deal, it gets cheaper every year. All you achieve by restructuring this year is that you have to cut him next year to avoid the cap escalation consequences. We have him at decreasing cap numbers the next 3 seasons.

bpc 02-04-2013 11:30 AM

Love me some Elvis but his potential is capped in the 4-3. He'll always be an undersized guy that won't be a huge impact with run defense.

If Denver could make a move to sign Paul Kruger closer to home (from Utah) to a mid-level contract ($4-5million) I would be open to trading Elvis. Sounds like Baltimore understands it will not be able to keep PK with their salary constraints.