The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Guns aren't the only issue. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110072)

myMind 02-03-2013 09:00 PM

Guns aren't the only issue.
 
A sad, sad story. I've read many articles about this man, saw him give a great interview on Conan. He just wanted to help veterans like himself deal with re-entry into civilian life, and this is what he got...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/us...lled.html?_r=0

What The ****?

orinjkrush 02-04-2013 06:31 AM

PTSD is going to go epidemic in its effects over the next 20 years. we have screwed a whole generation of veterans, breaking them with multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan for no g*dd*mn good reason. just pathetic. and the p***Y politicians will make THEM out to be domestic terrorists in the end.

That One Guy 02-05-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orinjkrush (Post 3792605)
PTSD is going to go epidemic in its effects over the next 20 years. we have screwed a whole generation of veterans, breaking them with multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan for no g*dd*mn good reason. just pathetic. and the p***Y politicians will make THEM out to be domestic terrorists in the end.

The problem goes much deeper than that, I believe. I think many of those (not all) with PTSD had problems in the first place. Just imagine the kind of people who would sign up for the infantry when wars like Iraq and Afghanistan are being fought. It's really a chicken and egg situation. Then you take the stresses of a military life and you put it on someone who might not've been the most stable to begin with and you have a burden they may not be able to handle.

The problem is with Americans as a whole. PTSD and the effects of the wars are the convenient scapegoat.

My opinion, of course.

orinjkrush 02-06-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That One Guy (Post 3793602)
The problem goes much deeper than that, I believe. I think many of those (not all) with PTSD had problems in the first place. Just imagine the kind of people who would sign up for the infantry when wars like Iraq and Afghanistan are being fought. It's really a chicken and egg situation. Then you take the stresses of a military life and you put it on someone who might not've been the most stable to begin with and you have a burden they may not be able to handle.

The problem is with Americans as a whole. PTSD and the effects of the wars are the convenient scapegoat.

My opinion, of course.

interesting observations. thumbsup

02-09-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orinjkrush (Post 3792605)
PTSD is going to go epidemic in its effects over the next 20 years. we have screwed a whole generation of veterans, breaking them with multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan for no g*dd*mn good reason. just pathetic. and the p***Y politicians will make THEM out to be domestic terrorists in the end.

They signed on voluntarily for this service. Take that into consideration before going off and acting as if there is some evil plot to "break them" here.

02-09-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That One Guy (Post 3793602)
It's really a chicken and egg situation. Then you take the stresses of a military life and you put it on someone who might not've been the most stable to begin with and you have a burden they may not be able to handle.

The problem is with Americans as a whole. PTSD and the effects of the wars are the convenient scapegoat.

Things like personal temperament, coping skills, and attitude always affect these types of things. I can't figure out why you're blaming Americans as a whole.

orinjkrush 02-09-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3794918)
They signed on voluntarily for this service. Take that into consideration before going off and acting as if there is some evil plot to "break them" here.

you miss the point. the plot wasn't to break them, it was to engage in stupid, unwinnable, inconsequential foreign adventures that used them up as canon fodder.

That One Guy 02-09-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3794920)
Things like personal temperament, coping skills, and attitude always affect these types of things. I can't figure out why you're blaming Americans as a whole.

Americans (even those who have never been a part of war) are going on murdering rampages way too often these days. When you start with such an unstable foundation, how can you claim any particular effects to be the impact of war?

02-09-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orinjkrush (Post 3794923)
you miss the point. the plot wasn't to break them, it was to engage in stupid, unwinnable, inconsequential foreign adventures that used them up as canon fodder.

I don't miss the point. I've seen many people treat volunteer soldiers as if they were kidnapped off the streets in some conscription scheme and terrorized thereafter.

Anything beyond that is your subjective opinion.

orinjkrush 02-09-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3794929)
I don't miss the point. I've seen many people treat volunteer soldiers as if they were kidnapped off the streets in some conscription scheme and terrorized thereafter.

Anything beyond that is your subjective opinion.

you clearly have never served. and you are entitled to your opinion also.

cutthemdown 02-09-2013 11:20 AM

Didn't the guy who was shot have his own line of assault rifles through some gun manufacturer?

02-10-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orinjkrush (Post 3794934)
you clearly have never served. and you are entitled to your opinion also.

This is raising the bar.

I'm a woman and never served. What does this have to do with my points here?

02-10-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by That One Guy (Post 3794928)
Americans (even those who have never been a part of war) are going on murdering rampages way too often these days. When you start with such an unstable foundation, how can you claim any particular effects to be the impact of war?

This is based on media hype and little (to nothing) else.

You're tying in two things without a reason for why we should think the two are tied in. You're also - and most disturbingly - treating the actions of rare individuals who are nearly universally mentally ill as a reflection of society, or in other words, society's fault.

W*GS 02-10-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3795425)
I'm a woman [...]

You're a woman like a fish is a bicycle.

02-10-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W*GS (Post 3795435)
You're a woman like a fish is a bicycle.

I think you're taking forum disagreements a bit too far, don't you? Making such insulting personal insinuations about people for no other reason than you don't like what they say?

Is this another shining example of liberal tolerance?

Yes, I think it is.

W*GS 02-10-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3795490)
I think you're taking forum disagreements a bit too far, don't you? Making such insulting personal insinuations about people for no other reason than you don't like what they say?

You're just a lame troll, that's all.

And a very poor liar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk
Is this another shining example of liberal tolerance?

Yes, I think it is.

Are you another shining example of conservative bull****tery? Yes, you are.

That One Guy 02-10-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk (Post 3795428)
This is based on media hype and little (to nothing) else.

You're tying in two things without a reason for why we should think the two are tied in. You're also - and most disturbingly - treating the actions of rare individuals who are nearly universally mentally ill as a reflection of society, or in other words, society's fault.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing here.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.