The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Are we still racist? - Rooney Rule (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110050)

ludo21 01-31-2013 04:13 PM

Are we still racist? - Rooney Rule

"Obviously, it's not working the way it should."

- Tony Dungy

Working the way it should? What does this even mean... aka rooney rule = hire more black coaches?

Are we (society) still racist?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/89...ey-rule-broken

Mogulseeker 01-31-2013 04:21 PM

I remember the comment. I believe Dungy was making the point that the NFL is still kind of a good ol' boys network, and teams want experience... and because of past norms, it's hard to find a black coach with the right experience to be an NFL coach.

Dungy even said he wouldn't be a good coach anymore, but if he threw his name in, he would get some offers just because he's a "big name."

That's what it comes down to: teams want big names, and there just aren't many black "big names" yet.

ludo21 01-31-2013 04:24 PM

i can see that... to a point i suppose

01-31-2013 04:25 PM

Of course there is. But it's still here because they want to make an issue of it.

Hiring the candidate you want based on whether you like him is not racist. Making an issue of that person not being black is though.

I wonder how racist it would be to see a "whitepeoplemeet.com" TV commercial. I just saw a "blackpeoplemeet.com" one.

gyldenlove 01-31-2013 04:30 PM

It is a glass ceiling, it exists in many different forms in different businesses. Old white guys tend to hire young white guys, often guys they are related to, that means you have an abundance of young white guys in position to get experience and when you go to hire a new old guy, you look at the current group of young guys with sufficient experience, the majority of which are white. If 50% of all first time front office and coach hires were minority candidates, it would take about 25 years before we would begin to see the results in head coaching and general manager positions.

TheReverend 01-31-2013 04:51 PM

The league isn't hiring enough white cornerbacks. Clearly the "David Duke" rule isn't working.

01-31-2013 05:08 PM

The NFL owners should just interview snoop dog to fullfill the rule.

01-31-2013 05:20 PM

I dont think the color of someone's skin helps a team win a ****ing football game. It's ridiculous. Are there more singletarys than Tomlins? You bet. Just like theres more manginis than harbaughs. Succeed in the football world you get hired. Saying you can't win with Vernon Davis you get fired.

Whenever these questions come up it can easily be answered with the doctor theory. Would you want a doctor who went to school based on his grades and was hired for his doc smarts, or would you go to a doctor who got accepted at a school based on his color, and was hired for that reason?

01-31-2013 05:41 PM

The Rooney Rule is racist.

ZONA 01-31-2013 05:43 PM

I was married to to mixed race woman (1/2 black, 1/2 white) for 12 years so I think that clearly indicates I'm not racist but I've never liked this rule. It's ok for 75% of the NFL players to be black (what, maybe 90% of NBA players are black) and there is no rule that says you must at least try out 1 white guy for that position first. I don't think this rule works and it's stupid. NFL owners want 2 things, money and rings. If it was a black HC winning them championships, they would be be loving life. We've seen white coaches canned after 1 year. It's a what have you done for me lately league and black or white HC, if you don't win, you're not going to be a coach long.

Mogulseeker 01-31-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3791225)
I dont think the color of someone's skin helps a team win a ****ing football game. It's ridiculous. Are there more singletarys than Tomlins? You bet. Just like theres more manginis than harbaughs. Succeed in the football world you get hired. Saying you can't win with Vernon Davis you get fired.

Whenever these questions come up it can easily be answered with the doctor theory. Would you want a doctor who went to school based on his grades and was hired for his doc smarts, or would you go to a doctor who got accepted at a school based on his color, and was hired for that reason?

I've never met a doctor/med student that got into school or a job because of his race.

Mogulseeker 01-31-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3791219)
The league isn't hiring enough white cornerbacks. Clearly the "David Duke" rule isn't working.

Hilarious!

SonOfLe-loLang 01-31-2013 05:54 PM

My gut instinct tells me that this isn't racist, because the NFL generally rewards based on performance (though the same old tired names tend to be recycled, though i dont think thats a race issue.) But there are a paltry amount of minority head coaches for whatever reason. If there were great black coordinators constantly getting overlooked, that'd be one thing, but I dont think there are? Then again, I guess you can ask the question of why there aren't so many black coordinators and so on.

But of course society is still racist...thats not even a question.

Bigdawg26 01-31-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 3791228)
I was married to to mixed race woman (1/2 black, 1/2 white) for 12 years so I think that clearly indicates I'm not racist but I've never liked this rule. It's ok for 75% of the NFL players to be black (what, maybe 90% of NBA players are black) and there is no rule that says you must at least try out 1 white guy for that position first. I don't think this rule works and it's stupid. NFL owners want 2 things, money and rings. If it was a black HC winning them championships, they would be be loving life. We've seen white coaches canned after 1 year. It's a what have you done for me lately league and black or white HC, if you don't win, you're not going to be a coach long.

OK dude when you have to justified your response by saying you were married to a mixed race girl isn't a good justification of saying your not racist. It's like saying "I'm not racist I got a three black friends!" You make a good point of 75% of the players are black but how many owners are executives are?? Not many! John Elway was a great quarterback turned great executive but I don't see Warren Moon or Randall Cunningham getting any calls! I heard the Dungy interview and agree with him and I see your point. I think the Rooney rule is BS too. Teams already know how they are going to hire, but they have to interview a minority anyway. It's BS!

Atwater His Ass 01-31-2013 06:28 PM

It's a business. Teams should be able to hire anyone they want and not forced to interview any potential canidates.

loborugger 01-31-2013 06:34 PM

Sports is the ultimate performance based product in the US. The performance is also easily very quantifiable with wins and loses. And with the amount $$$ involved in pro sports these days, no owner worth owning a team & no fan base is gonna to give a damn about the skin color of the head coach.

bowtown 01-31-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass (Post 3791241)
It's a business. Teams should be able to hire anyone they want and not forced to interview any potential canidates.

No, the NFL is a business. The teams are just franchises under the umbrella. There are rules they have to follow that are agreed to by the collective.

Atwater His Ass 01-31-2013 06:50 PM

No **** sherlock. The point is that I don't agree with the rule.

DBroncos4life 01-31-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdawg26 (Post 3791235)
OK dude when you have to justified your response by saying you were married to a mixed race girl isn't a good justification of saying your not racist. It's like saying "I'm not racist I got a three black friends!" You make a good point of 75% of the players are black but how many owners are executives are?? Not many! John Elway was a great quarterback turned great executive but I don't see Warren Moon or Randall Cunningham getting any calls! I heard the Dungy interview and agree with him and I see your point. I think the Rooney rule is BS too. Teams already know how they are going to hire, but they have to interview a minority anyway. It's BS!

Is there a website that has a list of former players being offered or turning down jobs I'm not aware of?

maher_tyler 01-31-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3791209)
Of course there is. But it's still here because they want to make an issue of it.

Hiring the candidate you want based on whether you like him is not racist. Making an issue of that person not being black is though.

I wonder how racist it would be to see a "whitepeoplemeet.com" TV commercial. I just saw a "blackpeoplemeet.com" one.

Exactly. There's racism because people constantly bring it up. It'd be nice if we as a society could leave it all in the past and move on.

Bigdawg26 01-31-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 3791255)
Is there a website that has a list of former players being offered or turning down jobs I'm not aware of?

I don't think so. But I do believe that Charlie Strong, Kevin Sumlin, and David Shaw will get alot of looks in the next two seasons from the college level. They have big enough names.

01-31-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy (Post 3791230)
I've never met a doctor/med student that got into school or a job because of his race.

Affirmative action says hello. There's plenty of examples of a higher qualified getting the shaft due to another applicants skin color.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...BmAzAfsH4dZPtA

It's a long article but this is described under "race preference is bad" section.

UberBroncoMan 01-31-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rod-BR (Post 3791227)
The Rooney Rule is racist.

This.

**** like this just ups the whole entitlement mentality.

We're all human. **** this race ****. This isn't the 50's -60's anymore.

errand 01-31-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic (Post 3791209)

I saw on a can of doctor pepper that a Hispanic lady won a scholarship.... she wanted to be a judge so she can make an impact in the Hispanic community....

now imagine if a white person had won the scholarship and said the exact same thing about making an impact in the Caucasian community.... you would have white people saying that person was racist

errand 01-31-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariusPontmercy (Post 3791230)

LOL.... You need to get out more often