The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   NFL Draft Forum (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Tyrann Mathieu (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=110001)

nickademus 01-26-2013 01:28 PM

Tyrann Mathieu
 
As a true freshman in 2010, Mathieu played in all 13 games with one start. He finished the season with 59 tackles, 4.5 sacks and two interceptions. He was the Outstanding Defensive Player of the 2011 Cotton Bowl Classic after he recorded seven tackles, one tackle for loss, two forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, one interception, one sack and one pass breakup

At the end of the 2011 regular season, Mathieu had 71 total tackles (54 solo and 17 assists), 1.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles (2 returned for a touchdown), and 2 interceptions.[5] On special teams, Mathieu had 26 punt returns for 420 yards, with 2 returned for a touchdown.[6] On October 19, 2011, Mathieu was suspended for one game following a violation of LSU's drug policy.[7] He was named the most valuable player of the 2011 SEC Championship Game. Mathieu earned the nickname "The Honey Badger" for his tenacious ability to play extremely tough football against much larger opponents, as well as his knack for making big plays. This led him to being a Heisman Trophy finalist. On December 8, 2011, Mathieu was awarded the Chuck Bednarik Award, given to the year's best defensive player in college football. This marked the second straight year a LSU defensive player won the nation's top defensive honor following Patrick Peterson, who also wore number 7, in 2010


Honey Badger is 5'9" 180 will probably run a 4.4 at the combine. I am not sure where to mock him he was the Defensive player of the year and then dope head had to sit out a year. If he had played dude is a first round lock, but after his Ricky Williamsesque pot issues how far does he drop?

Ziggy 01-26-2013 08:15 PM

It depends on how he does with his interviews at the combine. They may be more important for him than any player in this draft.

01-27-2013 10:24 AM

i want him on our team....

Doggcow 01-27-2013 01:26 PM

I love Matthieu. I would be stoked to draft him. I think he's an elite talent, and I think his mistakes will make him a better Pro.

Ziggy 01-27-2013 03:05 PM

Before you envision him on this team, name a single player that Elway has drafted with major character issues.

01-27-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickademus (Post 3789149)
If he had played dude is a first round lock

Doubt it.

Swedish Extrovert 01-27-2013 03:23 PM

He would have been a top five pick.

At this point, if he's available in the 4th, I say take him. I just think he is another Perrish Cox in the making.

Swedish Extrovert 01-27-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy (Post 3789265)
It depends on how he does with his interviews at the combine. They may be more important for him than any player in this draft.

This.

nickademus 01-27-2013 03:55 PM

watch some of his tape from 2011 its freaking awesome dude is derell revis with a mean streak.

razorwire77 01-27-2013 04:06 PM

With a 3rd or 4th rounder? Hell yeah.

Kid is an instinctive ball hawker with elite speed and he's aggressive. Look at what Janoris Jenkins did this year.

I actually think a team is going to take him as high as the top of the 3rd round though.

ludo21 01-28-2013 09:33 AM

my guess is he does not make it out of the 2nd round

Rohirrim 01-28-2013 09:37 AM

We have Trindon Holliday. Our own honey badger. ;D

Mediator12 01-28-2013 10:29 AM

This is a major deal. This kid is a powder keg, when was the last time a potential Heisman candidate was kicked off his team before the season started? And then, he got arrested for Drug Possession in OCT AFTER getting kicked off the team?

The problem lies in the NFL's new Drug policy in the CBA. Mathieu will already arrive in the NFL with a possible 4 game suspension hanging over his head. He failed repeated Drug tests at LSU and then got arrested for Drug possession in his draft eligible year. those count against him entering the league under the new rules.

Is he talented? Absolutely, just like Jenkins last year he might be the best pure cover CB in this draft talent wise. The problem is, when will he play, and will he sign a conditional contract due to his drug use in the past. I can not believe this kid has not already been in a rehab program and started to try and change his image. That alone tells me he thinks the rules do not apply to him. I would not touch him, but I actually want someone who plays in the games as one who is going to be suspended like Adam Jones.....

01-28-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediator12 (Post 3789737)
This is a major deal. This kid is a powder keg, when was the last time a potential Heisman candidate was kicked off his team before the season started? And then, he got arrested for Drug Possession in OCT AFTER getting kicked off the team?

The problem lies in the NFL's new Drug policy in the CBA. Mathieu will already arrive in the NFL with a possible 4 game suspension hanging over his head. He failed repeated Drug tests at LSU and then got arrested for Drug possession in his draft eligible year. those count against him entering the league under the new rules.

Is he talented? Absolutely, just like Jenkins last year he might be the best pure cover CB in this draft talent wise. The problem is, when will he play, and will he sign a conditional contract due to his drug use in the past. I can not believe this kid has not already been in a rehab program and started to try and change his image. That alone tells me he thinks the rules do not apply to him. I would not touch him, but I actually want someone who plays in the games as one who is going to be suspended like Adam Jones.....

He actually did go to a rehab center for his drug problem, there was a special on ESPN about it.

01-28-2013 09:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DKJ...ture=endscreen

his interview with ESPN.

Mediator12 01-28-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickStixx (Post 3790054)
He actually did go to a rehab center for his drug problem, there was a special on ESPN about it.

I knew he was working with John Lucas, but he entered a rehab facility as well and then got arrested! One month after he left rehab as well. Damn, I thought it was bad but he also put some twitter guru on his account to clean up his image and then got busted for that too!

Wow, this kid is so messed up I am not sure how much more he could screw up before the draft.

02-06-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy (Post 3789457)
Before you envision him on this team, name a single player that Elway has drafted with major character issues.

He has a grand total of two drafts under his belt...

02-06-2013 05:20 PM

By the way all the talk of rehab is hilarious. It's weed we are talking about, not heroin. All it will take for him to stop smoking weed is for him to pull his head out of his ass and realize millions of of dollars are on the line.

ColoradoDarin 02-07-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agamemnon (Post 3793909)
By the way all the talk of rehab is hilarious. It's weed we are talking about, not heroin. All it will take for him to stop smoking weed is for him to pull his head out of his ass and realize millions of of dollars are on the line.

The Broncos NEED to draft him - I mean, he's gotta be hoping it's us or Seattle, right...?

Momentum 02-09-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g6matty (Post 3789379)
i want him on our team....

He's a weird fit, Im not even sure he has a pro position due to him size and style. A 5'8 press corner is unprecedented. With his instincts he may be better fit at safety.

With all that said I expect Arizona to draft him. Patrick Peterson Sr. is his agent I believe.

Mediator12 02-11-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agamemnon (Post 3793909)
By the way all the talk of rehab is hilarious. It's weed we are talking about, not heroin. All it will take for him to stop smoking weed is for him to pull his head out of his ass and realize millions of of dollars are on the line.

Dude, you have some unusual takes some times, but this one is pretty flimsy. The Kid got kicked off LSU for multiple violations of the drug policy as a Heisman candidate. Then, he quit rehab, failed with a Solid known mentor and sponsor in John Lucas, and still got arrested in HIS own room with a large quantity of Marijauna.

Seriously, have you ever worked with addicts? I have and your take on this is just like everyone else who has never been addicted and thinks its just that easy. This kid has ALREADY had every kind of quality help and support to stop smoking and failed. No way he just quits now. It simply does not happen that way.

Plus, he is going to be suspended to start his career under the new CBA for at least 4 games coming into the season and have 2 strikes in the new Drug program entering the NFL. That means next strike is a year off and proof of being clean to get reinstated. This is why he is going to be a second day draft pick for some stupid franchise. He will burn his drafting team, they will pay penalties now if he fails another drug test in the NFL, and he will eventually play 4 years down the road IF and thats a huge IF he ever gets it.

To me that's the best case scenario as it stands right now. IMHO, he will fail the drug test at the combine as well. He is THAT stupid with the drugs to date. I will actually be surprised if he passes that one.

McDman 02-12-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediator12 (Post 3795766)
Dude, you have some unusual takes some times, but this one is pretty flimsy. The Kid got kicked off LSU for multiple violations of the drug policy as a Heisman candidate. Then, he quit rehab, failed with a Solid known mentor and sponsor in John Lucas, and still got arrested in HIS own room with a large quantity of Marijauna.

Seriously, have you ever worked with addicts? I have and your take on this is just like everyone else who has never been addicted and thinks its just that easy. This kid has ALREADY had every kind of quality help and support to stop smoking and failed. No way he just quits now. It simply does not happen that way.

Plus, he is going to be suspended to start his career under the new CBA for at least 4 games coming into the season and have 2 strikes in the new Drug program entering the NFL. That means next strike is a year off and proof of being clean to get reinstated. This is why he is going to be a second day draft pick for some stupid franchise. He will burn his drafting team, they will pay penalties now if he fails another drug test in the NFL, and he will eventually play 4 years down the road IF and thats a huge IF he ever gets it.

To me that's the best case scenario as it stands right now. IMHO, he will fail the drug test at the combine as well. He is THAT stupid with the drugs to date. I will actually be surprised if he passes that one.

Dude, it's weed. He went to rehab to help his image.

02-12-2013 07:24 AM

It's not about the severity/addictiveness of the drug, it's about his unwillingness to put the substance aside in order to succeed at playing football. I don't think smoking pot is that big of a deal, but if it prevents him from being able to get on the field then what good is he? It's a telling indicator of his determination (or ability to stop smoking).

Mediator12 02-12-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDman (Post 3796119)
Dude, it's weed. He went to rehab to help his image.

I understand this view, but I do not give it any merit. I have worked with people with addictions and addicitions are not just from drugs. In this case it is still an illegal drug that he is addicted. Not good. It's not like a social media addicition that some of these guys actually have (read Manti T'eo) that can get them in trouble.

I know the views on Pot being a drug have changed drastically in the US, and its supposedly not addictive. You explain his behavior then. Dude has the world at his fingertips, and gets caught multiple times smoking weed before he gets kicked off the team. Then gets caught AFTER getting kicked off the team. He does NOT transfer and play at a smaller school, instead he stays where he can get a hookup and smoke weed. Explain that without addiction please.

02-12-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediator12 (Post 3795766)
Dude, you have some unusual takes some times, but this one is pretty flimsy. The Kid got kicked off LSU for multiple violations of the drug policy as a Heisman candidate. Then, he quit rehab, failed with a Solid known mentor and sponsor in John Lucas, and still got arrested in HIS own room with a large quantity of Marijauna.

Seriously, have you ever worked with addicts? I have and your take on this is just like everyone else who has never been addicted and thinks its just that easy. This kid has ALREADY had every kind of quality help and support to stop smoking and failed. No way he just quits now. It simply does not happen that way.

Plus, he is going to be suspended to start his career under the new CBA for at least 4 games coming into the season and have 2 strikes in the new Drug program entering the NFL. That means next strike is a year off and proof of being clean to get reinstated. This is why he is going to be a second day draft pick for some stupid franchise. He will burn his drafting team, they will pay penalties now if he fails another drug test in the NFL, and he will eventually play 4 years down the road IF and thats a huge IF he ever gets it.

To me that's the best case scenario as it stands right now. IMHO, he will fail the drug test at the combine as well. He is THAT stupid with the drugs to date. I will actually be surprised if he passes that one.

You do know that weed is totally non-addictive right? He's been a total idiot and maybe he has poor self-control but he isn't addicted to anything. If you've really worked with addicts you should know better than to liken marijuana "addiction" to the real addictions of real addicts.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.