The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Yes, weather (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109987)

gunns 01-24-2013 06:11 PM

Yes, weather

As I remember the entire nation enjoyed a very mild winter last year. Well, where I live we are definitely making up for it. We haven't been above freezing since Jan. 1st and most often in single digits and teens. A ton of snow still on the ground.

Today we had freezing rain. I know those that live back East experience this often. I never have. Knew it was coming this morning so got up early and thought I'd catch the freeway before it got here. Noticed a couple of drop on the sidewalk when I went out to the car. No big deal. Pull out of the garage and a few drops of rain on the window. A few more develop and I turn on my windshield wiper. OMG, instant sheet of ice and I can't see a thing! Don't get on the freeway, thank heavens, 128 accidents. Slid to work. Come out, slip on the ice, get to my car and it's a literal ice cube. This whole thing was unbelievable to me.

But, going skiing tomorrow!!!!

Tombstone RJ 01-24-2013 07:01 PM

need the pics, otherwise it's a non story :)

KipCorrington25 01-24-2013 07:26 PM

I love when people post about the weather without any indication where they are like everyone should just know somehow.

No offense but you could live in Fairbanks Alaska for all 99% of the random people on this site know.

tesnyde 01-24-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 (Post 3788393)
I love when people post about the weather without any indication where they are like everyone should just know somehow.

No offense but you could live in Fairbanks Alaska for all 99% of the random people on this site know.

Or hell...and it just froze over.

MagicHef 01-24-2013 07:57 PM

76 today.

But I'm not telling where.

gunns 01-24-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 (Post 3788393)

Sorry, I do think most everyone knows where I live. Salt Lake City. But I did live in Fairbanks as a kid. :)

TD4HOF 01-24-2013 08:14 PM

Suckers.

davidtkd 01-24-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD4HOF (Post 3788418)
Suckers.

^this. a balmy 81 today in the ATX. :sunshine:

OBF1 01-24-2013 09:14 PM

I hope an aids spitting cobra finds its way to you.

enjolras 01-24-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 3788410)
76 today.

But I'm not telling where.

67 at my house in Denver today (really close to the stadium). That's right, 12 days ago it was the coldest game in Broncos playoff history. Now 67.

*sighs*

TerrElway 01-24-2013 11:00 PM

I'm north of you in Clinton, Gunns. My driveway is a sheet of ice. If I wanted this BS I'd live somewhere cruddy like Iowa! :)

I grew up outside of Logan. It's a different cold up there. My folks say it has regularly been -20 to -25 up there this winter. It's definitely been a cold one. I like winter and I'm even ready for this one to be done.

sisterhellfyre 01-24-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjolras (Post 3788484)
67 at my house in Denver today (really close to the stadium). That's right, 12 days ago it was the coldest game in Broncos playoff history. Now 67.

I remember it doing that once on my birthday when I was a kid. My birthday is in December, and I grew up in Denver, so "white birthdays" happened a lot. The day before B-day, it snowed. I don't remember exactly how much, but it was several inches. The next day, it was mid-60s and the snow practically evaporated. I kinda miss that, cuz there's no feeling in the world like playing in the snow in the sunshine. :-)

I saw it go the other way too. I used to go to church camp down in the Black Forest for a week every summer, usually in June. One year a late snowstorm came through and dropped 8 inches of heavy, wet snow on us during the night. The camp staff & counselors moved us all out of tent camping and into the cabins at sundown. Good thing: the tents were big, old, rectangular, Army-style tents with wooden poles. A couple of the poles split and speared right through the mattresses where a couple kids would have been sleeping.

gunns 01-25-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerrElway (Post 3788491)
I'm north of you in Clinton, Gunns. My driveway is a sheet of ice. If I wanted this BS I'd live somewhere cruddy like Iowa! :)

I grew up outside of Logan. It's a different cold up there. My folks say it has regularly been -20 to -25 up there this winter. It's definitely been a cold one. I like winter and I'm even ready for this one to be done.

I love Logan but it is one of the colder spots. The inversion has not helped. It seems like it's just us getting the extreme cold this winter in the west. Listen to these guys talking about 67 in Denver! And I'm excited about 35 here today. If I wasn't going skiing I'd pull out the shorts and flip flops!

Beantown Bronco 01-25-2013 07:17 AM

2nd mild winter in a row around here, despite everyone predicting a brutal winter for snow/cold. This week has been the first week consistently below zero at all, but still next to no snow. What little we've gotten this season has melted in a day or two.

December for us was especially weird. Way up in precipitation, but it was all rain cause it was 10-20 degrees above normal almost the whole month.

Beantown Bronco 01-25-2013 08:01 AM

Damn....how's this for cold (from today's Boston Globe):

As New England’s highest point, Mt. Washington is the self-proclaimed home of the world’s worst weather. And today is proof: Current conditions at the observation deck have wind chill at just over 70 degrees below zero.

Currently, the summit’s air temperature, not factoring in the 105.9 mile-per-hour wind gusts, is 22.5 degrees below zero at the Mt. Washington Observatory. Sustained winds are clocking in at just over 87 miles per hour.

A live-feed of the summit on Thursday mostly showed ice, thanks to a nearly frozen-over pane of glass between the indoor webcam and the frigid outdoor air.

“In terms of our webcams from the observation deck, they point a heater directly at that window, but even the heater doesn’t stop the frost from forming outside today,” said observatory spokeswoman Judy Heininger.

ColoradoDarin 01-25-2013 08:55 AM

Most of Jan has had a nice ridge of high pressure to the north of us (I'm in N Florida) and a decidedly mild winter so far. We've been down in the low 60s for a few days, but that's the extent of it. 72 and sunny today.

Chris 01-25-2013 11:18 AM

It is freezing in NY (-6 C so about 15 F with windchill down to 2 F)

The incoming storm is called Khan so I blame Kaylore and his magic underpants for everything.

Peoples Champ 01-25-2013 11:39 AM

its getting pretty cold here in california, it will be down to a high of 59 tomorrow, everyone's getting mad.

Requiem 01-25-2013 11:46 AM

Enjoy your skiing. It hasn't snowed much or been cold in Dakota at all. The past few days have been below 0 degrees, but it has only happened maybe a week out of the whole winter. February usually gets cold, but I've been enjoying the 20s to 40s for the past two months. Anxious for Spring/Summer to come so I can get some traveling, cycling and hiking in!

01-25-2013 12:23 PM

it got above freezing for the first time in 5 weeks here in Boise yesterday
i put on shorts and got out the lawn mower, until i realized it's a "false spring"

Kaylore 01-25-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 3788642)
It is freezing in NY (-6 C so about 15 F with windchill down to 2 F)

The incoming storm is called Khan so I blame Kaylore and his magic underpants for everything.

There's a reason Mormon's don't fart.

ZONA 01-25-2013 05:57 PM

We've had some severe changes down here in Phoenix as well. Last week in the high 30's and at night we were in the high 20's. All my bushes died and tree's lost their leaves. That was some cold storm system we had. Now a week later we're back to high 70's and out hitting the mountain bike trails :)

TonyR 01-25-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

It's important to remember that the last few days are a very small location and sample size. While the east is a tundra, Denver, Colorado is dealing with near-record highs with temperatures in the 60s. When we expand our look to over the past month, record high maximums and minimums are running 2 to 1 ahead of record low maximums and minimums in the United States. The United States' average temperature in 2012 was 55.3F – 3.2F above the 20th-century average and 1F above the previous record, 1998. When you drill down to specific locations, there were 356 record-high maximum temperatures compared with only 22 low maximums – a 16 to 1 ratio – over the past year. There were 105 record-high minimum temperatures against only 4 low minimums – a 26 to 1 ratio.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/weather/20...hill-cold-snow

Greatspirits 01-25-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunns (Post 3788526)
I love Logan but it is one of the colder spots. The inversion has not helped. It seems like it's just us getting the extreme cold this winter in the west. Listen to these guys talking about 67 in Denver! And I'm excited about 35 here today. If I wasn't going skiing I'd pull out the shorts and flip flops!

Just saw a story about the horrible air pollution on SLC, bummer!

maher_tyler 01-27-2013 01:27 AM

I've had the A/C turned on the past 4 days.