The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Wel-come-ker to Denver? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109938)

txtebow 01-21-2013 06:04 AM

Wel-come-ker to Denver?

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/2...-about-future/

Before the dust could even setting from their 28-13 loss to the Ravens in the AFC Championship game, “what’s next” was already being asked of the New England Patriots.

That question is echoing loudest when it comes to receiver Wes Welker, who is set to become a free agent. Welker played the 2012 season under the franchise tag, with the two sides unable to come to an agreement on an extension prior to the season.

Welker in the slot, decker, Thomas outside and a rookie speedster as our#4...now pick up a RB in round 2 or 3 and let's finish what we started....

Rulon Velvet Jones 01-21-2013 06:14 AM

That would hurt Stokley's feelings, though.

txtebow 01-21-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones (Post 3785657)
That would hurt Stokley's feelings, though.

indeed. My bad

BroncoSojia 01-21-2013 06:27 AM

I think he would cost too much money for what he would do here. No thanks.

BroncoInferno 01-21-2013 06:33 AM

We aren't going to give Welker $9 million a season when we already have two younger starters coming off big seasons.

go_broncos 01-21-2013 06:36 AM

Already we have players and coaches that disappear in playoffs.
Welker is another type of player that just doesn't play well during playoffs.
Lot of drops..

We need a RB, DT and a safety.

RhymesayersDU 01-21-2013 07:43 AM

Bring him in for a look.

Crushaholic 01-21-2013 07:54 AM

I have a feeling that Stokley wants to retire at the same time Manning retires. We definitely need to focus on the slot. I would be in favor of picking up a slot receiver, in the later draft rounds...

01-21-2013 07:56 AM

I'd rather see us spend the $ on D-line. Our pass rush was non-existent in the 2nd half of that debacle against ravens.

Tombstone RJ 01-21-2013 08:03 AM

no

Heyneck 01-21-2013 08:06 AM

pass

spdirty 01-21-2013 08:08 AM

People need to remember that we have a number of key free agents we need to sign before looking somewhere else to find Peyton Manning some new toys. Clady being our top priority.

Mediator12 01-21-2013 08:14 AM

Are YOU KIDDING ME? You all do not want the most effective slot WR in history to play with Peyton Manning?

WOW! I know this board HATES the patriots, but Welker is the difference in DEN being a great offense and being the potentially Best ever. Welker and Tamme in the slots with Thomas and Decker outside is a Killer group.

If you can get him you do it IMHO. Now, can you do it and keep the CAP? I get not being able to balance the books, but that dude is so damn underrated and Brady's security blanket. Remember Gronkowski was out yesterday and BAL was able to focus on Welker more.

I say get his to DEN if you can ;D

Tombstone RJ 01-21-2013 08:23 AM

not for the $ he will want.

broncocalijohn 01-21-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU (Post 3785692)
Bring him in for a look.

Don't forget, "He would break off 2k in our system!"

Also, I would pass because I really think Caldwell will come around this coming season. :yayaya:

TheReverend 01-21-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediator12 (Post 3785712)
Are YOU KIDDING ME? You all do not want the most effective slot WR in history to play with Peyton Manning?

WOW! I know this board HATES the patriots, but Welker is the difference in DEN being a great offense and being the potentially Best ever. Welker and Tamme in the slots with Thomas and Decker outside is a Killer group.

If you can get him you do it IMHO. Now, can you do it and keep the CAP? I get not being able to balance the books, but that dude is so damn underrated and Brady's security blanket. Remember Gronkowski was out yesterday and BAL was able to focus on Welker more.

This.

It's a TIGHT window for a SB push. You throw money at Welker, Melton and anyone else who might put you over the hump and massage the cap until Peyton hangs it up.

bronco militia 01-21-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

This.

spdirty 01-21-2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

My understanding is we have 18 mil in cap space, and need to resign clady, bruton, carter, etc. Clady will cost around 10-12 mil, so I don't know. Someone needs to do some cap magic and quite a few players will need to restructure for us to pull this off. Id love to see this happen but given this franchises history of not going after the big free agents makes me doubt we will go for him.

SonOfLe-loLang 01-21-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdirty (Post 3785725)
My understanding is we have 18 mil in cap space, and need to resign clady, bruton, carter, etc. Clady will cost around 10-12 mil, so I don't know. Someone needs to do some cap magic and quite a few players will need to restructure for us to pull this off. Id love to see this happen but given this franchises history of not going after the big free agents makes me doubt we will go for him.

Teams work that magic, but I tend to agree it won't be a spending free for all. But I wouldn't rule out one big signing

BroncoLifer 01-21-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU (Post 3785692)
Bring him in for a look.

To give Prater some competition?

Gutless Drunk 01-21-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

My understanding is we have 18 mil in cap space,

Don't want Welker but we could always cut this guy:

https://twitter.com/DjWilliam55

Attachment 32036

Attachment 32037

TheReverend 01-21-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

The cap is an illusion.

Tombstone RJ 01-21-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3785720)
This.

It's a TIGHT window for a SB push. You throw money at Welker, Melton and anyone else who might put you over the hump and massage the cap until Peyton hangs it up.

You don't think the Pats know this? Brady isn't getting any younger. The only way the Broncos get Welker is if they offer him stupid money. Welker is going to stay with the Pats if they make him a fair offer IMHO. Plus, the Broncos have bigger needs to address. The Broncos signing Melton make much more sense IMHO.

broncocalijohn 01-21-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

In order to follow the lead of blowing 96 and then winning two Super Bowls, we need to do some cap cheating obviously. Also, we are going to let some of those free agents go very soon and save money instantly.

spdirty 01-21-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncocalijohn (Post 3785742)
In order to follow the lead of blowing 96 and then winning two Super Bowls, we need to do some cap cheating obviously. Also, we are going to let some of those free agents go very soon and save money instantly.

Well I think the only way to get around it is to restructure some guys and pay them cash under the table. That's my only idea.

Maybe enlist bronco buff to start a secret fundraiser or something. Then of course we might need to teach them how to launder the money. Have them buy a car wash or something.