The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Chip Kelly new Eagles coach (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109888)

El Minion 01-16-2013 09:14 AM

Chip Kelly new Eagles coach
 
Chip Kelly new eagles coach. Glad to see him leave the PAC-12, but eagles really have a coup here.

Beantown Bronco 01-16-2013 09:15 AM

Must've backed up the Brinks truck to make that happen.

BroncoInferno 01-16-2013 09:15 AM

This guy's another Bobby Petrino. Doesn't look like you can take him at his word.

2KBack 01-16-2013 09:16 AM

I'm glad to see him out of the Pac-12 though

01-16-2013 09:17 AM

****

Hulamau 01-16-2013 09:20 AM

I think that means Wiesenhunt is the likely front runner for our OC job .. the Cardinals are certainly not going to rehire him as HC!

Tombstone RJ 01-16-2013 09:22 AM

I wonder what this means for Vick. I think Vick can thrive in a Kelly offense.

El Minion 01-16-2013 09:22 AM

Reports: Eagles hire Chip Kelly as new head coach

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 16, 2013, 12:07 PM EST

Getty Images
In a stunning and unexpected reversal, Oregon head coach Chip Kelly has reportedly agreed to become the new head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles.

ESPNís Chris Mortensen reported on Wednesday that Kelly had taken the job. Neither the Eagles nor Oregon has confirmed the news, but several reports have since confirmed that Kelly has accepted the Eaglesí offer.

Although Kelly was the NFLís hottest coaching candidate this year, he insisted after meeting with the Eagles and Browns that he would stay at Oregon and wouldnít listen to any more NFL job offers this year. Apparently he changed his mind.

Kelly is one of the most respected coaches in college football, having led Oregon to BCS bowl games in each of his four seasons as the schoolís head coach. But Kelly has an unconventional approach to the game that hasnít before been seen in the NFL, and not everyone thinks his methods will work at the next level.

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie didnít make any secret of the fact that he wanted Kelly and wanted him badly. It took a lot of work, but apparently he got his man.

SouthStndJunkie 01-16-2013 09:26 AM

The old adage about college coaches is true:

How do you know when a college football coach is lying?

When he's moving his lips.

They are modern day snake oil salesmen that lie as much as politicians.

MABroncoFan 01-16-2013 09:27 AM

Unless Whiz goes to Jax, OC is his best option probably

ScottXray 01-16-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3782908)
I wonder what this means for Vick. I think Vick can thrive in a Kelly offense.

Agree , Kelly needs this kind of QB for his Offense. Has Vick in place, although Vick will have to restructure.

Kelly now has to deal with something he didn't in college...a salary cap and a 53 man roster!

He is a good coach but look for him to have 2-3 years of adjusting before he gets any good PRO system in place that works. And he will need a damn good Defensive coordinator, the side of the game he hasn't been the best at.

This is bad for the Ducks recruiting, but as long as Phil Knight is throwing his money at that program they will bring in a top flight replacement. It does screw them up short term, but they will still be a top team next year. He leaves a lot of young talent there.

NFLBRONCO 01-16-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie (Post 3782912)
The old adage about college coaches is true:

How do you know when a college football coach is lying?

When he's moving his lips.

They are modern day snake oil salesmen that lie as much as politicians.

^

This plus Oregon must be going to get hammered with sanctions.

ludo21 01-16-2013 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3782908)
I wonder what this means for Vick. I think Vick can thrive in a Kelly offense.

ya, it will be fun to watch thats for sure

SonOfLe-loLang 01-16-2013 09:35 AM

Wow...good for him. That'll be fun to watch in the pro game

24champ 01-16-2013 09:36 AM

Glad to see him gone from the PAC-12.

Pac-12 race will be wide open next season with Stanford being the favorites again.

Heyneck 01-16-2013 09:36 AM

I think the **** is about to hit the fan at Oregon, penalties are coming. He realized this and drained the most he can out of the Eagles.

TonyR 01-16-2013 09:51 AM

Looks like something of a desperation move to me. They just had Gus Bradley, who appeared to be their guy, in for a 2nd interview yesterday and he left town without a deal and is talking to Jacksonville today.

Maybe this will work out, but it also has the potential to be a huge disaster.

Rohirrim 01-16-2013 09:55 AM

This means Vick will be taking some more big hits.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...0/31466350.jpg

Tombstone RJ 01-16-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3782950)
Looks like something of a desperation move to me. They just had Gus Bradley, who appeared to be their guy, in for a 2nd interview yesterday and he left town without a deal and is talking to Jacksonville today.

Maybe this will work out, but it also has the potential to be a huge disaster.

I think it's an excellent move by Laurie, who is one of the better owners in the NFL IMHO. This is what I think is happening: Laurie sees teams like Washington and Seattle being very successful with QBs who are somewhat unconventional. The Eagles have Vick, a QB who has proven he can pass the ball (I still say he has the best arm in the NFL). Laurie sees an opportunity to capitalize on Vick's potential and he sees Kelly as the coach to do this. JMHO of course.

R8R H8R 01-16-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MABroncoFan (Post 3782914)
Unless Whiz goes to Jax, OC is his best option probably

Problem for him and them is that they don't have a QB either.

TonyR 01-16-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3782957)
I think it's an excellent move by Laurie, who is one of the better owners in the NFL IMHO. This is what I think is happening: Laurie sees teams like Washington and Seattle being very successful with QBs who are somewhat unconventional. The Eagles have Vick, a QB who has proven he can pass the ball (I still say he has the best arm in the NFL). Laurie sees an opportunity to capitalize on Vick's potential and he sees Kelly as the coach to do this. JMHO of course.

I don't know. Vick has proven over and over again to be a bad decision maker, a turnover machine, and injury prone. I suppose it's possible, but I almost think it's more likely they either adjust Kelly's system for Nick Foles or try to bring in somebody else at QB. If they keep Vick they have to pay him $15.5 million in 2013! Contract details below:

Quote:

8/29/2011: Signed a six-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $32.5 million guaranteed, including a $7 million signing bonus and all of Vick's first- and second-year base salaries and $3 million of his 2013 salary (for injury only). The sixth year voids if Vick participates in 35% of the Eagles' offensive snaps in any of the first five seasons, making the contract more realistically worth $80 million over five years. Another $3 million is available through incentives based on Super Bowl wins in 2011 and 2012, and playing time (77.5% of the regular season snaps). 2013: $15.5 million, 2014: $12.5 million (+ $3 million roster bonus), 2015: $14.5 million (+ $2 million roster bonus), 2016: $20 million (Dummy Year), 2017: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2107/michael-vick

Tombstone RJ 01-16-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3782971)
I don't know. Vick has proven over and over again to be a bad decision maker, a turnover machine, and injury prone. I suppose it's possible, but I almost think it's more likely they either adjust Kelly's system for Nick Foles or try to bring in somebody else at QB. If they keep Vick they have to pay him $15.5 million in 2013! Contract details below:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2107/michael-vick

Yes, Vick's contract is out of control but I think Vick is smart enough to know that his chances of being the #1QB on another team are dwindling rapidly so he will probably restructure. The pistol offense can be run with Nick Foles too. Look what Shanny did with Cousins when RG3 went down. I think Kelly would love the opportunity to work with Vick and vice versa, but this is pure speculation on my part.

KState ran the pistol offense with a big, tall white kid too.

01-16-2013 10:31 AM

By the powers of Grayskull, I call "TEBOW THREAD!"

TonyR 01-16-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 3782974)
KState ran the pistol offense with a big, tall white kid too.

Collin Klein ran for 920 yards, second leading rusher on the team. Nick Foles is no Klein.

Tombstone RJ 01-16-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3782982)
Collin Klein ran for 920 yards, second leading rusher on the team. Nick Foles is no Klein.

I didn't watch Nick Foles in college so I have no idea if he can run the pistol or not but he's not known for his mobility so probably not. However Cousins did ok in a pistol offense not necessarily catering to his strengths so who knows? I guess Kelly will have to decide which QB he wants or if he wants to draft another guy.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.