The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Bring in Urlacher for a season or two? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109882)

Taco John 01-15-2013 09:40 PM

Bring in Urlacher for a season or two?

He's got 1 maybe 2 seasons left on him. He'll be an unrestricted free agent this offseason. He's the kind of veteran you want in a playoff run like we just had - ready to sacrifice everything to achieve the dream.

What say you?

huh?? 01-15-2013 09:48 PM

Would he even want to leave Chicago? He may be willing to stay if he thinks they'll be legit contenders. Not that he'll be right, but...

go_broncos 01-15-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 3782712)
He's got 1 maybe 2 seasons left on him. He'll be an unrestricted free agent this offseason. He's the kind of veteran you want in a playoff run like we just had - ready to sacrifice everything to achieve the dream.

What say you?

Please don't use the word "dream"..
Urlacher will be a good choice.
The one thing this team lacks is leadership on defense(someone like Lewis).

SonOfLe-loLang 01-15-2013 10:04 PM

If he's healthy, its an interesting choice. Though I'd like to see what some think about how he fits within what we do

extralife 01-15-2013 10:10 PM

He's done. He can't move anymore.

Ratboy 01-15-2013 10:14 PM

It could work out in our favor.

John Lynch was finished too, he gave us some great football!

extralife 01-15-2013 10:18 PM

Lynch had a neck problem. He got over it. Urlacher can't move anymore. You don't get over that.

And if he doesn't retire, he's going where Lovie ends up.

BroncoMan4ever 01-15-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_broncos (Post 3782717)
Please don't use the word "dream"..
Urlacher will be a good choice.
The one thing this team lacks is leadership on defense(someone like Lewis).

It would be like an equal switch from what we have now. A slow old battered white guy taking the place of another old slow battered white guy. Except our current old guy can move a little.

I am tired of stop gaps at MLB. Let's draft our new Al Wilson and Be done with that position for the next decade

lonestar 01-15-2013 10:36 PM

One of the dumbest ideas I have seen on this forum.

While he give leadership his skills have eroded, even if he could be counted on to be on the field his body has taken such a beating, not worth the coin and roster spot IMO.

Find a younger guy if we can not find one in the draft. Give him the money.

Taco John 01-15-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestar (Post 3782728)
One of the dumbest ideas I have seen on this forum.

That answers my questions on whether or not you proofread your own posts.

UberBroncoMan 01-15-2013 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3782727)
It would be like an equal switch from what we have now. A slow old battered white guy taking the place of another old slow battered white guy.

I am tired of stop gaps at MLB. Let's draft our new Al Wilson and Be done with that position for the next decade

Would be a good person for our drafted MLB to learn behind for two seasons.

BroncoMan4ever 01-15-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan (Post 3782730)

So would Brooking and in a pinch Brooking can perform adequately if necessary for a much smaller salary.

Also if we draft a guy in the 1st 2 rounds he really should not need a mentor or an apprenticeship on the bench watching a vet play.

Bronco Yoda 01-15-2013 11:11 PM

It's an interesting idea. I've said before that IMO one of our main priorities is to get tough, mean & smart on the D. We need a QB and leader on the Defense to do that. A true star at MLB is what we should be after.

.... But I think Urlacher is done. Time to draft young. Time to step up and draft high for this position.l

UberBroncoMan 01-15-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3782731)
So would Brooking and in a pinch Brooking can perform adequately if necessary for a much smaller salary.

Also if we draft a guy in the 1st 2 rounds he really should not need a mentor or an apprenticeship on the bench watching a vet play.

Brooking is turning 38, Urlacher is turning 35. That's a big difference in the NFL.

lonestar 01-16-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan (Post 3782730)

Hey how about JDR his DC? And he will not cost a dime of our cap money nor take a roster spot..

MLB or for that matter LB in general is not a spot that requires a tutor.. For the most part you either are one or your Joe Mayes.

It is one of the easiest spots to fill if they guy has a brain, is a good tackler and is athletic.

lonestar 01-16-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 3782729)
That answers my questions on whether or not you proofread your own posts.

I note you forgot the rest of the post. Let me refresh your memory.

Quote:

While he give leadership, his skills have eroded, even if he could be counted on to be on the field his body has taken such a beating, not worth the coin and roster spot IMO.

Find a younger guy if we can not find one in the draft. Give him the money.

If you can get past your ego, you might have read it. But I guess you did not.

Night night.

lonestar 01-16-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3782731)

:thumbs:

Archer81 01-16-2013 12:45 AM

I'd be for it in one instance.

If we draft and then proceed to develop talent behind him. Otherwise its just another short term fix for a long term problem.

:Broncos:

01-16-2013 12:48 AM

He was a weak part of a strong defense this year..pass

Atwater His Ass 01-16-2013 01:39 AM

If he was healthy, sure. I mean we had a guy like Brooking as the starter most of the year. But alas, Urlacher just isn't healthy and never will be again. Don't think it's a good move.

TheReverend 01-16-2013 04:56 AM

No. If you want an expensive big name from the Bears, go Melton2013.

Ray Finkle 01-16-2013 05:07 AM

He's a slightly faster version of Brooking.....which means he would make all the assignments calls and be left in the dust.

MileHighMagic 01-16-2013 07:17 AM

Love it! Biased towards my hometown boy.

Rohirrim 01-16-2013 07:19 AM

It would depend on his hammy and what you think will happen in the draft. This draft is thin at ILB. The three (arguably) "good" ones (Te'o, Minter, Ogletree) will probably be gone before we pick because of that. Sure, we can pick one up in the third or fourth round, but they're not going to start. I would rather we get the best DT available in the draft to improve the line, use a stopgap like Urlacher for a season or two and hope we get the same kind of benefits we got from Dawkins. Then hope we can get better chances in next year's draft. Would I prefer Al Wilson in his prime and a 100% solution to our ILB problem? Sure. But that's not available.

Kaylore 01-16-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extralife (Post 3782720)
He's done. He can't move anymore.

We started Keith Brooking last game.

Urlacher is an upgrade and provides that veteran presence.

That said, I would like to explore the draft for possible options.