The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ravens - Broncos officiating (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109843)

WolfpackGuy 01-14-2013 06:55 AM

Ravens - Broncos officiating
 
A thread may have been done on the topic already, and the Broncos certainly had enough of their own mistakes and stupidity to let the BAL hang around to take advantage, but I and a lot of other people who aren't even Broncos fans just can't get over how lopsided the officiating was Saturday. Who the hell was that referee anyway? None of us had ever seen him! Below is a list of crucial calls/non-calls/bad calls I had a problem with. Feel free to add anything I missed or flame what I listed.

1. Ticky tack interference on Carter on a third down pass that was close to uncatchable to keep the Ratbirds second drive alive after they were pinned deep. DEN was going to get the ball back with great field position and possibly put the game away shortly after. A few plays later, Smith gets behind Bailey for a TD.

2. Ratbirds DB clearly grabs Decker's arm, ball deflects off Decker to Graham. Pick six, Ratbirds. If you're going to call #1, you damn sure better call this one.

3. Offsides call on Miller. They ended up recovering a fumble a few plays later, but he sure as hell wasn't offsides.

4. Holding to negate a third down conversion by Hester. Never, EVER seen this called on a quick hitter. Ratbirds DT was actually falling over and pulled the OL down with him, but this was when the play was basically over. Broncos were putting together a decent drive, and of course the next play on third and long, Manning gets sacked and fumbles leading to a short BAL TD drive.

5. Boldin "catch" on third and long with BAL pinned in DEN territory. I'm sorry, but that ball came out before he established possession. Combined with #6, led to huge swing in field position in early stages of OT.

6. Bailey "interference" call on third down. Really?! Along with #5, allowed the Ratbirds to pin DEN deep.

Honorable mention 1. The BAL tackles and OL did not draw a SINGLE holding call in almost 5 quarters of play against two of the league's best outside pass rushers. Seriously?! I did see Doom get blatantly raped at least twice by McKinnie. See #4.

Honorable mention 2. Tucker being allowed to come out and practice a FG. You're just screwing with me at this point, officials! Again, never, EVER seen this happen.

Kudos to the Ratbirds for taking advantage of every break, and I hope they win next week, but they got A LOT of help this weekend.

BroncoFiend 01-14-2013 06:59 AM

I'm not a 'blame the refs guy' by any means, but the overall performance of the refs in that game was terrible.

My 9 year old son started saying 'Here's the star of the show again' every time that ref was on camera.

Between the bad calls and the ridiculous amount of time they took discussing everything I hope that is the last game they call.

CEH 01-14-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy (Post 3780917)
A thread may have been done on the topic already, and the Broncos certainly had enough of their own mistakes and stupidity to let the BAL hang around to take advantage, but I and a lot of other people who aren't even Broncos fans just can't get over how lopsided the officiating was Saturday. Who the hell was that referee anyway? None of us had ever seen him! Below is a list of crucial calls/non-calls/bad calls I had a problem with. Feel free to add anything I missed or flame what I listed.

1. Ticky tack interference on Carter on a third down pass that was close to uncatchable to keep the Ratbirds second drive alive after they were pinned deep. DEN was going to get the ball back with great field position and possibly put the game away shortly after. A few plays later, Smith gets behind Bailey for a TD.

2. Ratbirds DB clearly grabs Decker's arm, ball deflects off Decker to Graham. Pick six, Ratbirds. If you're going to call #1, you damn sure better call this one.

3. Offsides call on Miller. They ended up recovering a fumble a few plays later, but he sure as hell wasn't offsides.

4. Holding to negate a third down conversion by Hester. Never, EVER seen this called on a quick hitter. Ratbirds DT was actually falling over and pulled the OL down with him, but this was when the play was basically over. Broncos were putting together a decent drive, and of course the next play on third and long, Manning gets sacked and fumbles leading to a short BAL TD drive.

5. Boldin "catch" on third and long with BAL pinned in DEN territory. I'm sorry, but that ball came out before he established possession. Combined with #6, led to huge swing in field position in early stages of OT.

6. Bailey "interference" call on third down. Really?! Along with #5, allowed the Ratbirds to pin DEN deep.

Honorable mention 1. The BAL tackles and OL did not draw a SINGLE holding call in almost 5 quarters of play against two of the league's best outside pass rushers. Seriously?! I did see Doom get blatantly raped at least twice by McKinnie. See #4.

Honorable mention 2. Tucker being allowed to come out and practice a FG. You're just screwing with me at this point, officials! Again, never, EVER seen this happen.

Kudos to the Ratbirds for taking advantage of every break, and I hope they win next week, but they got A LOT of help this weekend.



To me the Carter PI early was a very bad call for a playoff game. Saw plenty of non call in the other games worst that what Carter was called for

TonyR 01-14-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy (Post 3780917)
3. Offsides call on Miller. They ended up recovering a fumble a few plays later, but he sure as hell wasn't offsides.

5. Boldin "catch" on third and long with BAL pinned in DEN territory. I'm sorry, but that ball came out before he established possession. Combined with #6, led to huge swing in field position in early stages of OT.

Honorable mention 2. Tucker being allowed to come out and practice a FG. You're just screwing with me at this point, officials! Again, never, EVER seen this happen.

Good thread, mostly agree. Just a few comments.

On 3, I think maybe Miller was in the neutral zone but would like to see the replay again.
On 5, I agree it wasn't a catch but since so close and the call on the field was a catch it was hard to overturn.
On the practice field goal, I read yesterday that in this situation refs are supposed to stop it but there is no penalty for this.

Also, someone remind me, I recall a defender leg whipping/tripping DT on a play and there was no call but I don't recall the exact situation. I just recall being annoyed, which explains how I felt for much of the game.

TonyR 01-14-2013 07:06 AM

Also, while agreeing that Denver by far got the net raw deal on calls, there were two standouts that went Denver's way. The first was a clear block in the back on one of Holliday's TD returns (I think it was the kick return). The second was the pass interference on Denver's TD drive to take the late lead which probably shouldn't have been called.

Beantown Bronco 01-14-2013 07:10 AM

A week ago, the smart money was on the league doing whatever they could to ensure a Manning/Brady AFC Championship Game. Now, after watching the officiating in both the AFC Divisional Games and seeing the way they were blatantly screwing Denver and NE, I'm convinced that there is one of two things going on:

1. They want Ray Ray in the SB; or
2. The refs were instructed to go out of their way and do whatever they could to NOT make it look like they were pulling for the Manning/Brady ratings bonanza.

I'm leaning towards #1. They didn't get their wish of having the easier matchup with Houston in the 2nd round, but they'll pull a few more strings next week to try to ensure that Ray gets there.

go_broncos 01-14-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3780930)
A week ago, the smart money was on the league doing whatever they could to ensure a Manning/Brady AFC Championship Game. Now, after watching the officiating in both the AFC Divisional Games and seeing the way they were blatantly screwing Denver and NE, I'm convinced that there is one of two things going on:

1. They want Ray Ray in the SB; or
2. The refs were instructed to go out of their way and do whatever they could to NOT make it look like they were pulling for the Manning/Brady ratings bonanza.

I'm leaning towards #1. They didn't get their wish of having the easier matchup with Houston in the 2nd round, but they'll pull a few more strings next week to try to ensure that Ray gets there.

I agree...That's the reason i am predicting that Baltimore will win next week.
officiating crew tried their best to screw denver..

Crushisback 01-14-2013 07:20 AM

Let me fill in a few more.

1. The non call for PI on the deep ball to Thomas. Williams gave him an arm bar then threw his leg out and tripped him.

2. The non call on the short dump over the middle on third down later in the game. The guy showed up way early.

Rohirrim 01-14-2013 07:20 AM

Like I said yesterday, the scabs did a better job. And they were terrible. You don't make cheap calls like that in the playoffs. You let them play. That crew should never be allowed to work a playoff game again.

go_broncos 01-14-2013 07:21 AM

We got the worst officiating crew..They should never be allowed again..

TheElusiveKyleOrton 01-14-2013 07:22 AM

1. That crew? Never worked a game together before. It was a patchwork crew of refs from all different crews who had not worked together. That's a problem. Just how does this crew get a divisional playoff game?

2. That head ref? The 'star of the show'? He was out of football for 6 years before this season. That's why you've never heard of him. Oh, he also head-reffed the game with the most flags thrown in the NFL this season. How does he get the nod for a divisional playoff game? How?

The problem for me isn't that there were bad calls. There are ALWAYS bad calls. My problem is that the bad calls in this instance, when going against Denver, led DIRECTLY to points for Baltimore. There were two touchdowns scored by the Ravens in the first quarter that would not be on the board if it were not for bad officiating. Period. There's no other way to say it.

LRtagger 01-14-2013 07:23 AM

They were so bad that I was actually nervous they were going to overturn that Stokely catch on 3rd down even though there was clear video evidence that it was a catch. The fact that they even got booth review calls wrong (Bolden catch) boggles the mind.

Uncle Bill 01-14-2013 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3780928)
Also, while agreeing that Denver by far got the net raw deal on calls, there were two standouts that went Denver's way. The first was a clear block in the back on one of Holliday's TD returns (I think it was the kick return). The second was the pass interference on Denver's TD drive to take the late lead which probably shouldn't have been called.

We were also given a verrry generous spot on that third and short that was reviewed. Obviously, there wasn't a conclusive replay, and the 1st down stood, but it looked like Hester was nowhere near the marker.

All in all, I thought the refs were horrible, both ways. Just horrible. But they're far from the main reason why we lost...

milehighJC 01-14-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton (Post 3780937)
1. That crew? Never worked a game together before. It was a patchwork crew of refs from all different crews who had not worked together. That's a problem. Just how does this crew get a divisional playoff game?

2. That head ref? The 'star of the show'? He was out of football for 6 years before this season. That's why you've never heard of him. Oh, he also head-reffed the game with the most flags thrown in the NFL this season. How does he get the nod for a divisional playoff game? How?

The problem for me isn't that there were bad calls. There are ALWAYS bad calls. My problem is that the bad calls in this instance, when going against Denver, led DIRECTLY to points for Baltimore. There were two touchdowns scored by the Ravens in the first quarter that would not be on the board if it were not for bad officiating. Period. There's no other way to say it.

This. I cant believe that is a good thing. I heard the term "all star refs". Refs should not be stars of ANY game, they should be as invisible as possible.

I dont know if I've been in the stadium before where the crowd booed so much at the refs, including replacement official's games. But at the end of the day, if the Broncos had played up to their potential, I dont believe the refs would have made a difference. But they did not, and the game was close enough that bad calls ultimately did make a difference IMHO.

WolfpackGuy 01-14-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton (Post 3780937)
1. That crew? Never worked a game together before. It was a patchwork crew of refs from all different crews who had not worked together. That's a problem. Just how does this crew get a divisional playoff game?

2. That head ref? The 'star of the show'? He was out of football for 6 years before this season. That's why you've never heard of him. Oh, he also head-reffed the game with the most flags thrown in the NFL this season. How does he get the nod for a divisional playoff game? How?

The problem for me isn't that there were bad calls. There are ALWAYS bad calls. My problem is that the bad calls in this instance, when going against Denver, led DIRECTLY to points for Baltimore. There were two touchdowns scored by the Ravens in the first quarter that would not be on the board if it were not for bad officiating. Period. There's no other way to say it.

Are fuggin serious? Several people I watched the game with who had no ties to either team literally had no idea who he was. Then the same thing was talked about at work this morning. That is horrible by the NFL.

I also agree with the timing of the calls or whatever you want to call them couldn't have been more backbreaking.

TheElusiveKyleOrton 01-14-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy (Post 3780947)
Are fuggin serious? Several people I watched the game with who had no ties to either team literally had no idea who he was. Then the same thing was talked about at work this morning. That is horrible by the NFL.

I also agree with the timing of the calls or whatever you want to call them couldn't have been more backbreaking.

So fuggin serious.

Also, the pace of play was terrible. These guys looked like a crew who had never worked together before. They slowed down the game, particularly when we had the ball on offense. What does our offensive gameplan rely on? PACE OF PLAY. Smh.

Just absolutely terrible. The league should be ashamed of the product it put out on the field.

LetsGoBroncos 01-14-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy (Post 3780917)
A thread may have been done on the topic already, and the Broncos certainly had enough of their own mistakes and stupidity to let the BAL hang around to take advantage, but I and a lot of other people who aren't even Broncos fans just can't get over how lopsided the officiating was Saturday. Who the hell was that referee anyway? None of us had ever seen him! Below is a list of crucial calls/non-calls/bad calls I had a problem with. Feel free to add anything I missed or flame what I listed.

1. Ticky tack interference on Carter on a third down pass that was close to uncatchable to keep the Ratbirds second drive alive after they were pinned deep. DEN was going to get the ball back with great field position and possibly put the game away shortly after. A few plays later, Smith gets behind Bailey for a TD.

2. Ratbirds DB clearly grabs Decker's arm, ball deflects off Decker to Graham. Pick six, Ratbirds. If you're going to call #1, you damn sure better call this one.

3. Offsides call on Miller. They ended up recovering a fumble a few plays later, but he sure as hell wasn't offsides.

4. Holding to negate a third down conversion by Hester. Never, EVER seen this called on a quick hitter. Ratbirds DT was actually falling over and pulled the OL down with him, but this was when the play was basically over. Broncos were putting together a decent drive, and of course the next play on third and long, Manning gets sacked and fumbles leading to a short BAL TD drive.

5. Boldin "catch" on third and long with BAL pinned in DEN territory. I'm sorry, but that ball came out before he established possession. Combined with #6, led to huge swing in field position in early stages of OT.

6. Bailey "interference" call on third down. Really?! Along with #5, allowed the Ratbirds to pin DEN deep.

Honorable mention 1. The BAL tackles and OL did not draw a SINGLE holding call in almost 5 quarters of play against two of the league's best outside pass rushers. Seriously?! I did see Doom get blatantly raped at least twice by McKinnie. See #4.

Honorable mention 2. Tucker being allowed to come out and practice a FG. You're just screwing with me at this point, officials! Again, never, EVER seen this happen.

Kudos to the Ratbirds for taking advantage of every break, and I hope they win next week, but they got A LOT of help this weekend.

I literally posted the same exact things with the same exact commentary in another thread on Saturday after the game. You are correct in your analysis of all of these. The refs aren't the only reason we lost but they were part of it. The PI call on Carter and the no PI call on Decker are the ones that erk me the most. Call ticky tack on us which leads to 7-7 instead of maybe 10-0 or 14-0, and then no call on Decker. So instead of up 10 or 14 we are down 7. Either a 17 or 21 point swing. You can't call touchy stuff one way and not the other.

The Boldin catch hit the ground, and even if they say it didn't he didn't have possession until he was out of bounds.

WolfpackGuy 01-14-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3780926)
Good thread, mostly agree. Just a few comments.

On 3, I think maybe Miller was in the neutral zone but would like to see the replay again.
On 5, I agree it wasn't a catch but since so close and the call on the field was a catch it was hard to overturn.
On the practice field goal, I read yesterday that in this situation refs are supposed to stop it but there is no penalty for this.

Also, someone remind me, I recall a defender leg whipping/tripping DT on a play and there was no call but I don't recall the exact situation. I just recall being annoyed, which explains how I felt for much of the game.

We didn't get to see the replay on Miller (of course), but he appeared to time the snap about as well as you could time it.

I was going to mention the DT play, but I think he got away with a push off which may have gotten himself a little off balance to begin with. I wasn't too pissy about that play.

TD4HOF 01-14-2013 07:44 AM

Don't blame the refs but I thought the Kuper holding call was ludicrious and the most egregious of all. Not sure if I've ever seen that one.

TonyR 01-14-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy (Post 3780952)
We didn't get to see the replay on Miller (of course), but he appeared to time the snap about as well as you could time it.

Ah, yes, sorry. I was thinking of a different play in my reply earlier. Forgot about this play. Miller was definitely not off sides. Yet another bad call.

LetsGoBroncos 01-14-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3780928)
Also, while agreeing that Denver by far got the net raw deal on calls, there were two standouts that went Denver's way. The first was a clear block in the back on one of Holliday's TD returns (I think it was the kick return). The second was the pass interference on Denver's TD drive to take the late lead which probably shouldn't have been called.

You must have been watching a different game. The block in the back you are talking about was on Hester and it was not a block in the back. Watch the replay again...he starts off blocking him in the front and as they start to fall it looks like he is pushing him in the back. It was legal.

Also, they didn't call PI on Thomas on that TD drive. They called holding before the pass and it was.

Gutless Drunk 01-14-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TD4HOF (Post 3780954)
Don't blame the refs but I thought the Kuper holding call was ludicrious and the most egregious of all. Not sure if I've ever seen that one.

and it came in way late. Very weird call.

WolfpackGuy 01-14-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos (Post 3780951)
I literally posted the same exact things with the same exact commentary in another thread on Saturday after the game. You are correct in your analysis of all of these. The refs aren't the only reason we lost but they were part of it. The PI call on Carter and the no PI call on Decker are the ones that erk me the most. Call ticky tack on us which leads to 7-7 instead of maybe 10-0 or 14-0, and then no call on Decker. So instead of up 10 or 14 we are down 7. Either a 17 or 21 point swing. You can't call touchy stuff one way and not the other.

The Boldin catch hit the ground, and even if they say it didn't he didn't have possession until he was out of bounds.

Yeah, I'm not one to criticize about the refs unless it's justified, but when people at work this morning are calling it an obvious screw job, it led me to make a thread. The Broncos outside of the return games definitely did enough to lose the game on their own.

LetsGoBroncos 01-14-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton (Post 3780937)
1. That crew? Never worked a game together before. It was a patchwork crew of refs from all different crews who had not worked together. That's a problem. Just how does this crew get a divisional playoff game?

2. That head ref? The 'star of the show'? He was out of football for 6 years before this season. That's why you've never heard of him. Oh, he also head-reffed the game with the most flags thrown in the NFL this season. How does he get the nod for a divisional playoff game? How?

The problem for me isn't that there were bad calls. There are ALWAYS bad calls. My problem is that the bad calls in this instance, when going against Denver, led DIRECTLY to points for Baltimore. There were two touchdowns scored by the Ravens in the first quarter that would not be on the board if it were not for bad officiating. Period. There's no other way to say it.

Exactly. Between the two bad PI calls early (Carter and Decker) and the holding on third and 1 you are talking about a 20 point swing. That doesn't even factory in the other bad calls.

LetsGoBroncos 01-14-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy (Post 3780952)
We didn't get to see the replay on Miller (of course), but he appeared to time the snap about as well as you could time it.

I was going to mention the DT play, but I think he got away with a push off which may have gotten himself a little off balance to begin with. I wasn't too pissy about that play.

They did show a replay of Miller and he was not offsides. I think that one ended up not mattering though


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.