The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   War, Religion and Politics Thread (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   For God’s Sake, Go Get a Flu Shot (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109840)

Fedaykin 01-13-2013 10:39 PM

For God’s Sake, Go Get a Flu Shot
 
"Nobody yet knows how severe this year’s epidemic of influenza will be. Nobody can ever know in advance. Yet, the evidence that this one will be bad is mounting: in New York, where twenty children have already died, Governor Cuomo has declared a public-health emergency."

"On Friday, a highly educated, very smart colleague at The New Yorker explained her decision to remain unvaccinated with these words: “I never get a flu shot, and I never get the flu.”

O.K. Let’s play her game. Turn to whomever you are with and say these sentences out loud: “I never wear seat belts, and I never get killed in car crashes”"

"Still, influenza kills as many as forty-five thousand Americans a year and the vaccine reduces deaths, illnesses, the use of antibiotics, and the number of hospital visits."

"Even if you think you are invincible, your elderly neighbors and infant children are not. People with weakened immune systems—those undergoing cancer treatments, for example—are not. Your parents and grandparents are not. The flu vaccine is not perfect, but it’s what we have."

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...-flu-shot.html

Queue The Usual Nutjob antivax Suspects....

theAPAOps5 01-13-2013 10:47 PM

Its better to get the shot later in the season as they may be off on the strain. This year is one of those years. My son got the second shot but my daughter hadn't and got the flu. She had her doctors appointment the day she got it. Its nasty this year. Get the shot!

Pony Boy 01-15-2013 05:34 PM

The hospital in my area had drive-thru flu shots, just roll down the window and stick your arm out. The shots were free but donations were accepted..... awesome.

mhgaffney 01-15-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pony Boy (Post 3782581)
The hospital in my area had drive-thru flu shots, just roll down the window and stick your arm out. The shots were free but donations were accepted..... awesome.

You have no way to know whether the shot contains impurities --

If it does you are risking a lot more than flu.

We know that the famous Salk vaccine of the 1950s included carcinogenic monkey virus

Which probably helps to explain the epidemic of cancer in our generation.
MHG

01-16-2013 06:56 PM

I get one every year, but this flu isn't covered by the shot anyway.

El Guapo 01-16-2013 08:42 PM

Heard on the local radio today that the shot is 60% effective against this years strain.







I don't get the flu shot.

W*GS 01-17-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhgaffney (Post 3782594)
You have no way to know whether the shot contains impurities --

If it does you are risking a lot more than flu.

We know that the famous Salk vaccine of the 1950s included carcinogenic monkey virus

Which probably helps to explain the epidemic of cancer in our generation.
MHG

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: [very nervous] Lord, Jack.
General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.
General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, Jack, Jack, listen... tell me, tell me, Jack. When did you first... become... well, develop this theory?
General Jack D. Ripper: [somewhat embarassed] Well, I, uh... I... I... first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
General Jack D. Ripper: Yes, a uh, a profound sense of fatigue... a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I... I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.
General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.

Rohirrim 01-17-2013 07:32 AM

Vaccines are how the government impregnates all of us with control chips.

Play2win 01-17-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3783506)
Vaccines are how the government impregnates all of us with control chips.

Cool, that means I am still a free man. Except for still being locked into a condo down here in Florida... errrrrrr.... :gus:

Pony Boy 01-17-2013 12:01 PM

I just found out my on-line girfriend died from getting a flu shot ..........

orangeatheist 01-17-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhgaffney (Post 3782594)
You have no way to know whether the shot contains impurities --

If it does you are risking a lot more than flu.

I was reading through the thread from the OP down, not paying attention to who was saying what and got this far into the above quoted post. I got past "impurities" and my brow wrinkled...then I got through that second sentence and started shaking my head in confusion because of how bizarre and out-of-step it was with the rest of the thread so I looked over at the poster. That's when I saw who wrote it and suddenly it all made sense.

Tell me, Gaffe. Should I drink a shot of Mangosteen instead?

cutthemdown 01-19-2013 03:25 AM

My flu shot is usually whiskey.

Doggcow 01-19-2013 12:03 PM

I never take flu shots, I never take anti-biotics.

I don't get sick.

El Guapo 01-19-2013 01:27 PM

Eek, famous last words.

Lycan 01-19-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doggcow (Post 3784719)
I never take flu shots, I never take anti-biotics.

I don't get sick.

This.

The worst I ever get is a day with a stuffy nose, and it's gone after a nights sleep.

chadta 01-19-2013 02:53 PM

I dont get flu shots, started out that i just dont go seek medical attention so didnt get one, but then i noticed that the people who got the shots, seemed to spend the most time off sick, i swear flu shot people are worse than ex smokers, or cyclists, with the holier than tho attitude.

My neighbour is the worst one, both him and his wife gave me **** for not getting the shot the week they got theirs, 2 weeks later when i next saw him, after his bought with pneumonia i asked how that flu shot was working for him, he said its the 3rd time in the last 4 years hes gotten sick within 2 weeks of getting his shot.

Yup ill be rushing to get my shot, i dont care if it works great for 99% of the people that get it, of the people iknow that get it, 75% have gotten the flu that season.

Fedaykin 01-19-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadta (Post 3784768)
I dont get flu shots, started out that i just dont go seek medical attention so didnt get one, but then i noticed that the people who got the shots, seemed to spend the most time off sick, i swear flu shot people are worse than ex smokers, or cyclists, with the holier than tho attitude.

My neighbour is the worst one, both him and his wife gave me **** for not getting the shot the week they got theirs, 2 weeks later when i next saw him, after his bought with pneumonia i asked how that flu shot was working for him, he said its the 3rd time in the last 4 years hes gotten sick within 2 weeks of getting his shot.

Yup ill be rushing to get my shot, i dont care if it works great for 99% of the people that get it, of the people iknow that get it, 75% have gotten the flu that season.

* You can't get the flu from a flu shot.
* On average, a flu shot is only 60% effective, due primarily to the fact that there are hundreds or more strains of the flu (and more evolving all the time)
* Pretty much any illness that causes flu like systems people call "the flu", whether or not they are actually suffering from an infect of the influenza virus.

mhgaffney 01-19-2013 04:40 PM

Five Reasons Why I’ll Never Get a Flu Shot

Posted By: Susoni
Date: Saturday, 12-Jan-2013 23:23:17

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin...gi?read=266172

SoCalBronco 01-19-2013 04:52 PM

I got one last Monday.

I have to say those Cold Eeze zinc losenges are great for regular colds....I take one now everyday regardless...just to help ward stuff off when I get even an inkling of something and it does a great job.

chadta 01-19-2013 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedaykin (Post 3784775)
* You can't get the flu from a flu shot.
* On average, a flu shot is only 60% effective, due primarily to the fact that there are hundreds or more strains of the flu (and more evolving all the time)
* Pretty much any illness that causes flu like systems people call "the flu", whether or not they are actually suffering from an infect of the influenza virus.



*I never said he got it from the shot, I said shortly after getting the shot he was sick, maybe he just has really bad timing, I dont care, he gets the shot, he gets sick, I dont get the shot, i dont get sick. why mess with something thats working.

*if you keep putting shots out it will keep evolving, while trying to help we are actually hurting people by doing this.

*This last case, this year, was the flu, which led to pneumonia, but yeah his doctors a probably wrong, you must be right, it couldnt have been the flu.

W*GS 01-19-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhgaffney (Post 3784800)
Five Reasons Why I’ll Never Get a Flu Shot

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream. Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: [very nervous] Lord, Jack.
General Jack D. Ripper: You know when fluoridation first began?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.
General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and forty-six. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, Jack, Jack, listen... tell me, tell me, Jack. When did you first... become... well, develop this theory?
General Jack D. Ripper: [somewhat embarassed] Well, I, uh... I... I... first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
General Jack D. Ripper: Yes, a uh, a profound sense of fatigue... a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I... I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Hmm.
General Jack D. Ripper: I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence. I, uh... I do not avoid women, Mandrake.
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: No.
General Jack D. Ripper: But I... I do deny them my essence.

cutthemdown 01-19-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fedaykin (Post 3784775)
* You can't get the flu from a flu shot.
* On average, a flu shot is only 60% effective, due primarily to the fact that there are hundreds or more strains of the flu (and more evolving all the time)
* Pretty much any illness that causes flu like systems people call "the flu", whether or not they are actually suffering from an infect of the influenza virus.

I had a friend who was one of the 1 in 100 thousand. He almost died from a flu shot he probably didn't need since he was only 38 yrs old. But I don't know anyone who ever got really sick from the flu. Sort of makes me lean to the wait until i am older and weaker to get the flu shot.

Fedaykin 01-20-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutthemdown (Post 3784842)
I had a friend who was one of the 1 in 100 thousand. He almost died from a flu shot he probably didn't need since he was only 38 yrs old. But I don't know anyone who ever got really sick from the flu. Sort of makes me lean to the wait until i am older and weaker to get the flu shot.

Preventing flu is not just about the person getting the shot, it's about preventing others, particularly those who are at high risk from the flu.

A healthy 38 year old doesn't have much to fear from the flu (though the risk of serious problems, including death, is not 0) but all the people he may infect, and those additional infections from the people he infected (and so on) are also part of the equation.

And, know that if you are infected with a virus, you are contagious before you are symptomatic, so saying you'll just stay away from others when sick is a good thing, but not sufficient.

Fedaykin 01-20-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadta (Post 3784805)
*I never said he got it from the shot, I said shortly after getting the shot he was sick, maybe he just has really bad timing, I dont care, he gets the shot, he gets sick, I dont get the shot, i dont get sick. why mess with something thats working.

You're still implying the flu shot was a contributory factor to his infection. getting a flu shot will NOT increase your chances of getting the flu (i.e. "messing with something that's working)".

Quote:

*if you keep putting shots out it will keep evolving, while trying to help we are actually hurting people by doing this.
Actually the opposite is true. The fewer hosts the virus has, the fewer replications of the virus occur, thus fewer mutations. Viruses being destroyed by an immune system are not comparable to bacteria being killed by an anti-biotic. Whether you get a flu shot or not, your body will be fighting that virus off. All a vaccine does it help your body identify a virus and quickly eliminate it rather than allowing the virus to multiply freely.

Quote:

*This last case, this year, was the flu, which led to pneumonia, but yeah his doctors a probably wrong, you must be right, it couldnt have been the flu.
You know very well I was speaking in generalities, don't get your panties in a bunch.

cutthemdown 01-20-2013 03:39 AM

I guess when you know someone who got the shot and had a violent reaction to it, nearly died, then you are more skeptical of the 1 in 100 thousand claim. I'm not super trusting of doctors always because I deal with them a lot in lawsuits. The things I have read about or heard about are crazy. Also doctors will lie through their teeths to protect studies, drugs, hospitals and their careers. Not saying i think the flu shot is some sinister plot its not. I do believe they feel its the best for the population as a whole. I'm just not sure it's a great idea for individuals who are young and at very little risk from the flu.

Also there are so many strains its sort of like a needle in a haystack approach.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.