The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Browns made a huge mistake (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109724)

gyldenlove 01-10-2013 09:23 PM

The Browns made a huge mistake

A new owner, a new GM and then they hire Chudzinsky as their HC? The guy is a really good TE coach, but he is a failure as an offensive coordinator and frankly Browns fans should be shaking when they see the regression of Cam Newton, Jonathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams.

They were going after Chip Kelly, Bill O'Brien and Doug Marrone and they end with a list that is Ken Whisenhunt, Chudzinski and Zimmer - quite the drop in prestige there and it gets worse when you realize they hired the worst candidate. Zimmer has proven to be an excellent coach, the development of guys like Leon Hall, Jonathan Joseph, Geno Atkins, Vontaze Burfict, Domata Peko. That Bengals defense has definitely been pretty solid and have been around the top 10 of the league in points surrendered in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Whisenhunt may not be the greatest coach in the world, but he went to a super bowl with Kurt Warner not that long ago after Warner had all but retired and if not for steadily declining talent and cheap owners that team would not have been half bad.

I am guessing since this is officially year 2 of the rebuild, he will get a 1 year grace period and anything better than 3-13 will be enough to keep his job, but he inherits a team that someone else has been putting together including a 1st round QB. For better or worse Chudzinski is not going to get to replace Weeden, if Weeden turns out to need to be replaced, the coach will be replaced along with him and the next guy get to choose who he wants.

spdirty 01-10-2013 09:39 PM

Well, the Browns are the Browns, and some things never change.

enjolras 01-10-2013 09:40 PM

Zimmer must be the worst interview ever. There is no reason he shouldn't have gotten his shot by now.

01-10-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gyldenlove (Post 3775841)
A new owner, a new GM and then they hire Chudzinsky as their HC? The guy is a really good TE coach, but he is a failure as an offensive coordinator and frankly Browns fans should be shaking when they see the regression of Cam Newton, Jonathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams.

They were going after Chip Kelly, Bill O'Brien and Doug Marrone and they end with a list that is Ken Whisenhunt, Chudzinski and Zimmer - quite the drop in prestige there and it gets worse when you realize they hired the worst candidate. Zimmer has proven to be an excellent coach, the development of guys like Leon Hall, Jonathan Joseph, Geno Atkins, Vontaze Burfict, Domata Peko. That Bengals defense has definitely been pretty solid and have been around the top 10 of the league in points surrendered in 3 of the last 4 seasons. Whisenhunt may not be the greatest coach in the world, but he went to a super bowl with Kurt Warner not that long ago after Warner had all but retired and if not for steadily declining talent and cheap owners that team would not have been half bad.

I am guessing since this is officially year 2 of the rebuild, he will get a 1 year grace period and anything better than 3-13 will be enough to keep his job, but he inherits a team that someone else has been putting together including a 1st round QB. For better or worse Chudzinski is not going to get to replace Weeden, if Weeden turns out to need to be replaced, the coach will be replaced along with him and the next guy get to choose who he wants.

It is underwhelming but you have no idea if this guy will be good or not.

Lestat 01-10-2013 09:53 PM

that was out of left field. this is similar to people being after Shottenheimer as a HC candidate. why? he did poorly in NY with the Jets and the Rams weren't all that great. don't really understand it.

gunns 01-10-2013 10:08 PM

They said he will bring in Norv as OC

boltaneer 01-10-2013 10:14 PM

It's not a sexy pick but Chudzinsky could wind up being a good HC, as long as he's not calling plays. I didn't understand the heavy passing offense they were trying to run in Carolina with two good RBs + Tolbert.

He got a lot of praise when he was in SD as assistant HC with the duties he was responsible for.

NUB 01-10-2013 11:42 PM

He's a good coach, in my opinion, but a terrible pick for the Browns.

Browns gonna Brown.

SoCalBronco 01-10-2013 11:45 PM

Chud is a good football coach and has a good football mind. He has coached in many systems.

Good to see a Cane represent up there in Cleveland.

Mediator12 01-11-2013 05:40 AM

People gotta remember OC success has very little to do with HC success in the NFL. HC's are figureheads and do very little Hands on coaching anymore except gameplanning.

Chudzinski is a solid coach with real strong ties to Ohio. He has been with the Browns twice before and also remember he is the fifth candidate they wanted, its not like he was first choice.

If they want some stability in that organization, a guy like Chud is a great fit for that as he has his dream job and should be able to assemble a solid staff. They have a good defense that has a ton of potential, its their offense that needs to be consistent and if he does get Norv as his OC, and their personnel fits Norv's vertical system, they could be a lot better schematically and coaching wise this year. What remains to be seen isif they can use their drafts like SEA, INDY, and DEN did this year and get some people to immediately contribute and play well.

Pony Boy 01-11-2013 06:16 AM

The Browns need to do something quick, their QB is getting pretty old.

01-11-2013 06:32 AM

While he isn't a household name, keep in mind most coaches when they get their first chance aren't household names. We can compile a huge list of coaches who were coordinators and nobodies at the time, but have gone on to become great coaches! It's not a sexy pic but as Med said he has strong connections to Cleveland. And Newton played great as a rookie and the second half this year with average targets in the passing game. I say average because Smith is still good and Olsen solid.. but that's it. And if he gets Norv to be the OC, and they continue drafting well, they are going to be a team on the rise.

01-11-2013 11:02 AM

If the Browns hire someone they are pretty much assured to fail. In other words it probably doesn't matter who they hired...

Kaylore 01-11-2013 11:13 AM

Fans are idiots. They all want the only coaches they know which are the guys in the media. Their ideas of good coaches consist of Cowher, Gruden and some other coach on NFL Network. If their team doesn't hire one of these then they get mad.

gyldenlove 01-11-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mediator12 (Post 3775921)
People gotta remember OC success has very little to do with HC success in the NFL. HC's are figureheads and do very little Hands on coaching anymore except gameplanning.

Chudzinski is a solid coach with real strong ties to Ohio. He has been with the Browns twice before and also remember he is the fifth candidate they wanted, its not like he was first choice.

If they want some stability in that organization, a guy like Chud is a great fit for that as he has his dream job and should be able to assemble a solid staff. They have a good defense that has a ton of potential, its their offense that needs to be consistent and if he does get Norv as his OC, and their personnel fits Norv's vertical system, they could be a lot better schematically and coaching wise this year. What remains to be seen isif they can use their drafts like SEA, INDY, and DEN did this year and get some people to immediately contribute and play well.

How much HCs have to do with hands on coaching really depends on the personality of the coach, some do a lot of direct coaching, we all remember McDouchebag doing a lot of work with the QBs especially. Other head coaches have done a fair bit of hands on work, while some like Fox do very little direct coaching. Chud has a long history as an offensive guy, he had one good year in Cleveland under Crennel, where he undoubtedly had a lot of responsibilities related to running and planning the offense, he also had one very bad year and was sacrificed. In SD he was working under Norv Turner in Turner's offense under Turner's leadership and while he surely had some influence, he was basically the same guy Mike Mccoy was under Mcdouchebag. With the Panthers he has served under Ron Rivera, so the failure and regression of the Panthers offense falls pretty much squarely on Chud.

I think being the 5th choice is very telling, not only of him, but also of the organization as a whole. I can certainly understand why coaches with options would prefer not to go to a team with a new owner, a roster that is thin on proven talent but thick on young guys whom the owner may force the coach to retain and play.

While we can't know that Chud and the Browns will fail, I think there are some indicators to suggest it will be the case. Chud is a rookie HC coming in to take over a young team with an inexperienced owner and no current GM. Unless he can very quickly grow into the role of leading from the front, and unless he can stand up to his former boss Norv Turner, the team doesn't look like it is going to progress quickly enough to ensure Chuds long term employment.

01-11-2013 11:52 AM

Gyldenlove makes huge mistake posting Browns content on Broncos Message Board...

that's gonna be the title of a thread I start

ludo21 01-11-2013 12:38 PM

he reminds of other HC i never heard of who did well... Mike Smith, Swhartz for a year..

etc... they will be good with Norv as OC.. good = 8-8 for Browns

Binkythefrog 01-11-2013 01:09 PM

Chudzinski supposedly grew up loving the Browns - in one article I read he would watch Browns games from outside so he could pretend to be in the Dawg pound.

I know passion and love only get you so far - but he'll probably attack this job like crazy and live and die with the team's fortunes - which can be good in a head coach - especially in the NFL where there is basically zero loyalty and everything is almost done from a business point of view.

Cito Pelon 01-11-2013 01:37 PM

Probably would have been better off with Lovie Smith and Norv as OC. And CHI would probably have been better off with Lovie Smith still, and Norv as OC.

400HZ 01-11-2013 04:46 PM

Seeing Norv talked about doing something other than coaching the Chargers makes me soooo happy.

ScottXray 01-11-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 400HZ (Post 3776274)
Seeing Norv talked about doing something other than coaching the Chargers makes me soooo happy.

and what do you think of Lovie coaching the Chargeless?

broncosteven 01-11-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binkythefrog (Post 3776173)
Chudzinski supposedly grew up loving the Browns - in one article I read he would watch Browns games from outside so he could pretend to be in the Dawg pound.

I know passion and love only get you so far - but he'll probably attack this job like crazy and live and die with the team's fortunes - which can be good in a head coach - especially in the NFL where there is basically zero loyalty and everything is almost done from a business point of view.

Yep, NFL Live said today he was a Browns fan as a kid and pretended to be Sipe and Newsome and "other Brown greats" when he was playing pickup games.

I think the new owner wanted a tie to the past (no matter how tenuous) and Chud was his best option even if he wasn't the 1st option.

I feel bad for Cleveland fans, even kFc has been to a SB...

boltaneer 01-11-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottXray (Post 3776297)
and what do you think of Lovie coaching the Chargeless?

Not my #1 choice but infinitely better than Norv...

01-11-2013 08:19 PM

I think that the Browns were going in a positive direction.

They had decent coaches at OC and DC (Childress and Jauron) and Heckert did an above average job in the draft room.

Haden, Ward, Taylor, Sheard, Winn, Richardson and Schwartz appear to be good players drafted over the last 3 years.

From what I've heard, Holmgren was the driving force behind the Colt McCoy and Brandon Weeden draft picks.

I don't think Heckert got a fair shake.

KipCorrington25 01-11-2013 11:29 PM

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/...767/35nksf.jpg