The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Von Miller says his old buddy is just as good (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109650)

01-06-2013 09:22 PM

Von Miller says his old buddy is just as good

On 1150 the Zone, TAMU radio station, they did an interview with Von Miller and he said he believes his old teammate Damontre Moore is going to be just as good of a pass rusher as him.

What do you think? Is Von just trying to help his buddy get drafted higher or is he being truthful?

Moore had 13 sacks this year for the Aggies.

01-06-2013 09:27 PM

I'm sure he's being honest about his opinion of his friend but I think it's very doubtful he's right. He's biased as friends and family usually are. But really, pass rushers like Von Miller are not easy to find (last year's draft notwithstanding). Either way Moore is probably a top 10 pick.

razorwire77 01-06-2013 09:29 PM

He's a good player, but I don't think he's going to be in the stratosphere as a Watt, or a Miller as a pass rusher. Would love to take him at the bottom of the first round, but no chance of that happening.

01-06-2013 09:32 PM

Right now Moore is projected to be a top 5 pick. A lot of people are projecting him to go to Detroit.

Can you imagine that? Suh, Fairley, Avril and Moore on the same DL. Wow

01-06-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razorwire77 (Post 3773148)
He's a good player, but I don't think he's going to be in the stratosphere as a Watt, or a Miller as a pass rusher. Would love to take him at the bottom of the first round, but no chance of that happening.

We don't need another edge rusher. We need RB, MLB, DT, OG/C and WR more.

01-06-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearLanier (Post 3773150)
Right now Moore is projected to be a top 5 pick. A lot of people are projecting him to go to Detroit.

Can you imagine that? Suh, Fairley, Avril and Moore on the same DL. Wow

Won't fix everything else that's wrong with that team.

Lestat 01-06-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agamemnon (Post 3773151)

i was hoping we'd get Moore earlier this season before he blew up. him and Montgomery were the DE's i liked the best.

razorwire77 01-06-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agamemnon (Post 3773151)

Agree, but in the .000000000000001 percent chance that Moore drops to the low 20's or God willing to us at 32 you take him as the bpa. Although if he did drop that low, it's probably because he got caught with a dead stripper in his trunk or throat punched Rich Eisen during a combine interview.

01-06-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agamemnon (Post 3773153)
Won't fix everything else that's wrong with that team.

I agree, but wow that's a crazy good DL.

01-06-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearLanier (Post 3773164)
I agree, but wow that's a crazy good DL.

I tend to think they're a bit overrated to be honest.

cutthemdown 01-07-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agamemnon (Post 3773191)
I tend to think they're a bit overrated to be honest.

I agree because when you watch detroit they don't dominate the LOS IMO.

Requiem 01-07-2013 06:02 AM

I really don't think Moore is a Top 5 guy, probably not even Top 10 in reality -- but with the success of Miller and other guys off the edge who are tremendous pass rushers, his value is going to inflate. With the lack of top tier, elite talent at the front of this draft, guys who have no business going in the Top 10 more than likely will.

cmhargrove 01-07-2013 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3773269)
I really don't think Moore is a Top 5 guy, probably not even Top 10 in reality -- but with the success of Miller and other guys off the edge who are tremendous pass rushers, his value is going to inflate. With the lack of top tier, elite talent at the front of this draft, guys who have no business going in the Top 10 more than likely will.

I agree.

When I watch Moore vs. Miller I really don't see the comparison. Miller has one of the fastest, most explosive first steps I have ever seen. I just don't see that with Moore. Miller also plays with a lower base, and can "run the horn" in a tighter radius.

Moore might be an excellent player, but I don't see him as having the same impact as Miller.

Drek 01-07-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3773269)

Yep, hell of a nice year to be a 13-3 team. Not only are we a serious SB contender, but the tight talent gap in the top 30-50 is likely going to result in different staffs viewing guys very differently, and the FO might just find themselves picking at 32 with a guy they had pegged as a top 15 pick sitting on the board.

Drafts like this one are fun, probably going to be a lot of WTF? picks made early on.

WolfpackGuy 01-07-2013 07:22 AM

Von and Doom would have A LOT more sacks with a pocket crushing DT to keep QB's from stepping up.

Who do you guys like coming out of college as well as available free agents for that task?

socalorado 01-07-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy (Post 3773304)
Von and Doom would have A LOT more sacks with a pocket crushing DT to keep QB's from stepping up.

Who do you guys like coming out of college as well as available free agents for that task?

Kawan Short
Sharif Floyd

pricejj 01-07-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearLanier (Post 3773140)
On 1150 the Zone, TAMU radio station, they did an interview with Von Miller and he said he believes his old teammate Damontre Moore is going to be just as good of a pass rusher as him.

Ever wonder how Von 'swoops' past the RT on his way to a physics-defying sack? Yeah, speed kills.

Von Miller - 4.42 forty (combine)
Damontre Moore - 4.83 forty (pre-combine)

Moore probably isn't in the same stratosphere athletically as Von Miller. We'll find out at the combine.

Lestat 01-07-2013 09:37 AM

after the bowl vs Louisville i'm all aboard the Floyd train. dude was a monster in that game, just everywhere, he can play DT and DE(DT is his more natural position)

pricejj 01-07-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3773379)
after the bowl vs Louisville i'm all aboard the Floyd train. dude was a monster in that game, just everywhere, he can play DT and DE(DT is his more natural position)

Some notes on Sharif Floyd:

1. Floyd was ranked as the #4 overall (all posiitions) recruit coming out of high school.
2. Floyd doesn't turn 21 year old until May.
3. 6'026" 303 lbs.

Sharif Floyd (2012) - 46 tackles, 3.0 sacks, and 13.0 TFL's.
Sharif Floyd (2011) - 46 tackles, 1.5 sacks, and 6.5 TFL's.

Floyd is a good prospect, but he only registered 1 sack all year, until the bowl game. It's difficult to gauge his full potential because he is so young. However, he doesn't have elite size for a NT prospect, and he doesn't have as many sacks as you'd like to see out of a UT prospect...in addition, Derek Wolfe should be playing UT for the Broncos (I hope).

I would be hesitant to draft him in the 1st round.

Lestat 01-07-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pricejj (Post 3773461)
Some notes on Sharif Floyd:

1. Floyd was ranked as the #4 overall (all posiitions) recruit coming out of high school.
2. Floyd doesn't turn 21 year old until May.
3. 6'026" 303 lbs.

Sharif Floyd (2012) - 46 tackles, 3.0 sacks, and 13.0 TFL's.
Sharif Floyd (2011) - 46 tackles, 1.5 sacks, and 6.5 TFL's.

Floyd is a good prospect, but he only registered 1 sack all year, until the bowl game. It's difficult to gauge his full potential because he is so young. However, he doesn't have elite size for a NT prospect, and he doesn't have as many sacks as you'd like to see out of a UT prospect...in addition, Derek Wolfe should be playing UT for the Broncos (I hope).

I would be hesitant to draft him in the 1st round.

not really worried about that production. Muschamp runs a similar D to Bama as he is a Saban disciple. so it's more about impact and overall play of the unit rather than the individual production.

DBroncos4life 01-07-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3773553)
not really worried about that production. Muschamp runs a similar D to Bama as he is a Saban disciple. so it's more about impact and overall play of the unit rather than the individual production.

Price will clearly over look the fact that he was playing out of position to get the best players on the field.

Requiem 01-07-2013 12:42 PM

Floyd has experience 2 gapping under Muschamp, but Omar Hunter was primarily that guy for the Gators this year, though he definitely had experience in that role. In 2011 he was playing defensive end a majority of the time. The thing to look at with Floyd is how many tackles is he making behind the LOS? A **** ton. Dude would be just fine here and is the next guy up for us (IMO) if Short from Purdue is snatched.

Lestat 01-07-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Requiem (Post 3773563)
Floyd has experience 2 gapping under Muschamp, but Omar Hunter was primarily that guy for the Gators this year, though he definitely had experience in that role. In 2011 he was playing defensive end a majority of the time. The thing to look at with Floyd is how many tackles is he making behind the LOS? A **** ton. Dude would be just fine here and is the next guy up for us (IMO) if Short from Purdue is snatched.

Floyd to me seems to be in line with what we like on the DL.
a flexible guy who can play multiple roles, can stop guys in the backfield, penetrate the OL and force the run outside or disrupt the pocket.

broncosteven 01-07-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearLanier (Post 3773140)

What do you think? Is Von just trying to help his buddy get drafted higher or is he being truthful?

Moore had 13 sacks this year for the Aggies.

Sounds to me like FL is just prepping himself to see kFc reach on a pass rusher rather than take a QB in the 1st round.

To be honest in this years draft it probably wouldn't be a bad move to draft OL or DL and take a QB later or try to move back up into the 1st round to grab a QB who is slipping.

Bad year to have the 1st overall pick...

Requiem 01-07-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3773585)
Floyd to me seems to be in line with what we like on the DL.
a flexible guy who can play multiple roles, can stop guys in the backfield, penetrate the OL and force the run outside or disrupt the pocket.

You said penetrate. :)