The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   If we lose JDR to a HC job would you... (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109553)

broncosteven 12-31-2012 01:42 PM

If we lose JDR to a HC job would you...

...want to go after Lovie as a DC?

The thing he was the most successful in Chicago was teaching how to create turnovers, he developed DT's, LB's, and was very good developing CB's.

Whom else would you like to target as a DC if we had to fill the position?

12-31-2012 01:43 PM

who ever it is needs to be creative and able to maximize the use of vonathan miller

Tombstone RJ 12-31-2012 01:44 PM

yes

SoCalBronco 12-31-2012 01:44 PM

I would take Lovie. Actually I was hoping we could get Allen back if JDR left but looks like Oakland kept him.

12-31-2012 01:47 PM

That would be a great hire. He seems to me like he would fit in really well with Fox. But here's hoping we can keep JDR for at least one more season.

DBroncos4life 12-31-2012 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco (Post 3768001)
I would take Lovie. Actually I was hoping we could get Allen back if JDR left but looks like Oakland kept him.

I said the same thing in the draft board. LOL

Kaylore 12-31-2012 01:49 PM

Lovie is like a Del Rio anyway, except a little less lazy.

Not that Del Rio has been that way here.

SoCalBronco 12-31-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 3768011)
I said the same thing in the draft board. LOL

You know what would be even better? A picture of Kevin Bacon made out of....bacon. ;)

Bronco Yoda 12-31-2012 01:51 PM

I'd go for that... but he'd have to really commit to a few years. I want some ****ing continuity damn it! Is that too much to ask.

ludo21 12-31-2012 01:57 PM

jdr aint going nowhere.

i got sources

DBroncos4life 12-31-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalBronco (Post 3768014)
You know what would be even better? A picture of Kevin Bacon made out of....bacon. ;)

probably the greatest thing ever :)

Lestat 12-31-2012 02:10 PM

ideally i'd snag Horton from the Cards but that isn't happening.
Lovie will get another HC gig so that isn't likely either. but Dick Jauron on the other hand... he's available.

R8R H8R 12-31-2012 02:12 PM

I really don't care because I trust Fox to make a good hire/promotion. That being said, Lovie is fine, but I probably prefer promoting Richard Smith.

It would provide continuity and he has done a good job w/the LB'ers considering what he has got: mainly, a superstar, a guy that is as old as Peyton, an over-achieving undersized OLB, and a drunk. :)

Binkythefrog 12-31-2012 02:15 PM

When I lived in Chicago - I remember some complaints about him not being creative with pass rushing schemes and always relying on the ol Tampa Cover 2 D. But you really can't argue with results - Chicago's D was pretty good again this year.

broncosteven 12-31-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3768033)
ideally i'd snag Horton from the Cards but that isn't happening.
Lovie will get another HC gig so that isn't likely either. but Dick Jauron on the other hand... he's available.

Step away from Jauron, he might be an ok DC but not as good a Lovie.

I am not sure Lovie is going have people knocking his door down to get him, it is not like he made duh bears a complete team, he couldn't evaluate offensive talent and got lucky with Hester and his return scores.

Lovie adapted their D away from the cover 2 most of the year playing to his D strenghts. If we lose JDR I would hope Elway would go after him hard.

Aftermath 12-31-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3768013)
Lovie is like a Del Rio anyway, except a little less lazy.

Not that Del Rio has been that way here.

lolwut

extralife 12-31-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agamemnon (Post 3768009)
That would be a great hire. He seems to me like he would fit in really well with Fox.

and it seems to me he wouldn't.

Lovie is a staunch Cover 2 guy, he's run the same defensive system for over ten years now. do we really want to change things up like that? if he doesn't get a HC position, Lovie is going to go somewhere where he'll get full control over the defense

Lestat 12-31-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncosteven (Post 3768037)
Step away from Jauron, he might be an ok DC but not as good a Lovie.

I am not sure Lovie is going have people knocking his door down to get him, it is not like he made duh bears a complete team, he couldn't evaluate offensive talent and got lucky with Hester and his return scores.

Lovie adapted their D away from the cover 2 most of the year playing to his D strenghts. If we lose JDR I would hope Elway would go after him hard.

Lovie would be #1 with a bullet but Lovie is what Fox was when he left Carolina. a proven HC with a track record of building teams and defense.
he'll get another HC job if he wants it, he might not feel a HC gig is right and go back to being a DC but it would likely be for 1-2 seasons and then he's a HC again.

Lestat 12-31-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extralife (Post 3768054)
and it seems to me he wouldn't.

Lovie is a staunch Cover 2 guy, he's run the same defensive system for over ten years now. do we really want to change things up like that? if he doesn't get a HC position, Lovie is going to go somewhere where he'll get full control over the defense

any DC you bring in is gonna change the D. Allen was aggressive and used multiple fronts similar to Gregg Williams who was his mentor.
Del Rio is more of a safe play bend but don't break guy who will dial it up when needed but prefers his D to not allow the big play and stay on their assignment,

ZONA 12-31-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ludo21 (Post 3768025)
jdr aint going nowhere.

i got sources

Well I don't think we'll lose both our guys. If both left that would be 3 coordinators lost in 2 seasons. The odds of that happening are very low. 1 guy may go but I doubt we lose 2.

jmz313 12-31-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lestat (Post 3768070)
Lovie would be #1 with a bullet but Lovie is what Fox was when he left Carolina. a proven HC with a track record of building teams and defense.
he'll get another HC job if he wants it, he might not feel a HC gig is right and go back to being a DC but it would likely be for 1-2 seasons and then he's a HC again.

I dont think lovie proved much as a HC. He never got chicago to that next step. He probably should of been fired last year. Fox, in contrast did coach in a superbowl.

Lestat 12-31-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmz313 (Post 3768084)
I dont think lovie proved much as a HC. He never got chicago to that next step. He probably should of been fired last year. Fox, in contrast did coach in a superbowl.

LOL umm, you do realize that the head coach of the Chicago Bears team that Peyton Manning beat in the super bowl was Lovie Smith right?

in fact, you do realize that Lovie has a better career record than Fox, has 1 less division title, has 2 NFC championship games to Fox's 1. both lost a super bowl.

so what exactly didn't Lovie prove as a HC?

Hercules Rockefeller 12-31-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

As a Bears fan who posts on a Broncos' board, can you tell us more about what we could expect from a defense coached by Lovie?

Ratboy 12-31-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

and going back to the 24th rank Defense in points and 20th in yards?

Allen wasn't special.

Lestat 12-31-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratboy (Post 3768099)
and going back to the 24th rank Defense in points and 20th in yards?

Allen wasn't special.

we were fifth in sacks and it was the first year Elway had his hands on the team. the roster is much better this year than when Allen had the defense.