The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ESPN says no to Elway and yes to Seattle GM John Schneider. (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109506)

Bronco Rob 12-29-2012 02:01 PM

ESPN says no to Elway and yes to Seattle GM John Schneider.

Seahawks general manager John Schneider topped a list of candidates for NFL executive of the year, edging out Denver Broncos general manager John Elway and Indianapolis Colts general manager Ryan Grigson, in a vote by several staff members of ESPN.com.

Schneider received eight total votes – one more than Elway and four more than Grigson. ESPN AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky has the story here, which includes Kuharsky’s opinion as well as thoughts from several other voters.

Here’s a breakdown of the votes:

Schneider – 8

Elway – 7

Grigson – 4

Thomas Dimitroff, Atlanta Falcons – 2

Trent Baalke, San Francisco 49ers – 1

Bruce Allen, Washington Redskins – 1

Kuharsky voted for Schneider, recalling a conversation he had with with fellow
ESPN.com blogger Mike Sando, who covers the NFC West, “I’ve had a close view of the Colts’ transformation from a 2-14 disaster to a 10-5 team heading to the playoffs. As I broadened that view, however, I leaned on something Sando said as we discussed this: Take away the obvious moves, the moves your mom would know to make — signing Manning [Elway], drafting Luck [Grigson] — and find out who’s the choice. I voted Schneider, and so did seven others, enough for him to edge Elway.”

Schneider and head coach Pete Carroll’s 2012 draft class has produced the NFL’s rookie sack leader (Bruce Irvin, 8.0 sacks), a starting middle linebacker who is a serious candidate for defensive rookie of the year (Bobby Wagner), and of course starting quarterback Russell Wilson, who many believe can challenge Luck and Washington’s Robert Griffin III in the race for offensive rookie of the year. Not to mention the club picked up a physical running back in Robert Turbin to match the “Beastmode” attack of Marshawn Lynch, a cornerback in Jeremy Lane who has stepped up and played well in place of the suspended Pro Bowler Brandon Browner, a college defensive lineman turned starting NFL offensive guard in J.R. Sweezy, and several other contributors.

Added Sando, “I voted for Schneider because I thought the moves Seattle made required more skill and foresight. Elway and Grigson did more than simply acquire Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck, of course. But without those moves, neither would factor into the discussion. Those were moves 99 percent of fantasy football general managers would have made.”

http://blog.seahawks.com/2012/12/28/...utive-of-2012/

???

OBF1 12-29-2012 02:18 PM

I can see his side as well. Seattle did so much with some much less than Denver. We made the playoffs last year without Manning, So you would think we were almost expected to do more than last year.... which we did. No one thought Seattle would be as strong as they have become.

12-29-2012 02:19 PM

Typical ESPN.

He only signed Manning? First of all, I like how Grigson gets 4 votes for drafting Luck. Manning was a free agent. He could have played wherever he wanted. Luck had no choice.

And then also, all in all, the Broncos have drafted OK under Elway.

You could also look at other FA acquisitions that have been solid. Holiday, the DT last year (that Im blanking on) who went to the Saints, McGahee, Adams.

OBF1 12-29-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en (Post 3764970)
Typical ESPN.

He only signed Manning? First of all, I like how Grigson gets 4 votes for drafting Luck. Manning was a free agent. He could have played wherever he wanted. Luck had no choice.

And then also, all in all, the Broncos have drafted OK under Elway.

You could also look at other FA acquisitions that have been solid. Holiday, the DT last year (that Im blanking on) who went to the Saints, McGahee, Adams.

Things done for last season do not matter for this years voting. Denver already had pro bowl players like Bailey, Miller, Clady and Doom on the team.

12-29-2012 02:24 PM

I love it. All year long this team has been under the radar. Now the Elway is passed over for some guy working for a franchise that never won anything. Early on it was all about houston (NE) and atlanta and now even though we're getting some run, we are still not as talked about as seattle and washington. We are the "oh yeah" team this year......Reporter "oh yeah and the BRONCOS have won AGAIN"
As long as WE are the ones SCREAMING "OH YEAH" in the SUPERBOWL I'm fine with all this disrespect.

12-29-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBF1 (Post 3764972)
Things done for last season do not matter for this years voting. Denver already had pro bowl players like Bailey, Miller, Clady and Doom on the team.

OK, look at Bunkley. He brought in Bunkley. Bunkley made a big difference last year. Then this year, instead of overpaying him, they let Bunkley walk and haven't really missed him. He was able to walk that line of identifying a guy who could contribute but then had the discipline to not fall too much in love with him because he made you look good.

It kind of seems like where this is going is that Wilson was a lower round pick, therefore it should be Schneider. Sorry but if he knew Wilson was going to be this good, he would have drafted him sooner. That's like saying Pioli was great because NE got lucky with Brady.

Endy 12-29-2012 02:28 PM

Elway's hoisted two Lombardies. He probably cares more about what he's having for dinner tonight than he does this award.

winstoncup bronco 12-29-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en (Post 3764977)
It kind of seems like where this is going is that Wilson was a lower round pick, therefore it should be Schneider. Sorry but if he knew Wilson was going to be this good, he would have drafted him sooner. That's like saying Pioli was great because NE got lucky with Brady.

And not sign Matt Flynn to a nice FA contract.

12-29-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstoncup bronco (Post 3764980)
And not sign Matt Flynn to a nice FA contract.

Yes, and then you contrast the fact that Elway let Bunkley walk even after Bunkley made him look good (and contributing more than Flynn has).

TonyR 12-29-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en (Post 3764970)
Typical ESPN.

Because they don't 100% agree with you? There is a case for Schneider.

NFLBRONCO 12-29-2012 02:43 PM

Who cares I'm glad John is running show. The award is nice but, not biggest thing.

12-29-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3764988)

No. Because they're a bunch of myopic twits...kind of like you.

TonyR 12-29-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeSe7en (Post 3764994)
No. Because they're a bunch of myopic twits...kind of like you.

The world doesn't revolve around you. You can cry about it all you want but that won't make it not so. Everybody who works at ESPN isn't a Broncos fan like you. Get over it.

12-29-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3764996)
The world doesn't revolve around you. You can cry about it all you want but that won't make it not so. Everybody who works at ESPN isn't a Broncos fan like you. Get over it.

I am over it. I don't even watch ESPN. There's absolutely nothing of value on ESPN. It's fodder for the addle minded.

Congratulations.

DBroncos4life 12-29-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3764988)

Matt Flynn agrees.

Rohirrim 12-29-2012 03:08 PM

So, signing Manning was the easy thing to do? I seem to remember the process taking quite a while and numerous other teams involved, one of which was the Seahawks. So if it was one of "...the moves your mom would know to make..," why didn't Schneider make it? He tried, though, didn't he? He tried, and failed. Elway tried and succeeded. And they vote for Schneider?

Typical head-up-the-ass ESPN.

TonyR 12-29-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rohirrim (Post 3765000)
So, signing Manning was the easy thing to do? I seem to remember the process taking quite a while and numerous other teams involved, one of which was the Seahawks. So if it was one of "...the moves your mom would know to make..," why didn't Schneider make it? He tried, though, didn't he? He tried, and failed. Elway tried and succeeded. And they vote for Schneider?

Typical head-up-the-ass ESPN.

I get what you're saying, and don't necessarily disagree. But I understand their argument. They're saying Elway's job was easy because Manning chose Denver. The Seahawks, meanwhile, are having huge success with a rookie QB. It just depends on how you look at it. If you think Elway deserves all the credit for Manning then I suppose you choose Elway. If you think of Elway as more of a beneficiary of Manning choosing Denver then you may choose somebody else. Either way, both organizations have done a great job and only one guy can win the award.

R8R H8R 12-29-2012 03:18 PM

I leaned on something Sando said as we discussed this: Take away the obvious moves, the moves your mom would know to make —...

Added Sando, “I voted for Schneider because I thought the moves Seattle made required more skill and foresight. Elway and Grigson did more than simply acquire Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck, of course. But without those moves, neither would factor into the discussion. Those were moves 99 percent of fantasy football general managers would have made.

Wrong. The whole Tebow thing in addition to Manning's uncertain health is what makes this situation anything but a no-brainer. We know from the bickering on this board in the offseason that bringing in Manning was not a no-brainer.

Not only that but bringing in Manning was not the same as drafting a player. That is where Elway came in. When PM picked the Broncos, he was choosing Elway as much as he was choosing the Broncos.

cousinal11 12-29-2012 03:21 PM

espn has been pretty bad for nearly 20 years.

DBroncos4life 12-29-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3765004)
I get what you're saying, and don't necessarily disagree. But I understand their argument. They're saying Elway's job was easy because Manning chose Denver. The Seahawks, meanwhile, are having huge success with a rookie QB. It just depends on how you look at it. If you think Elway deserves all the credit for Manning then I suppose you choose Elway. If you think of Elway as more of a beneficiary of Manning choosing Denver then you may choose somebody else. Either way, both organizations have done a great job and only one guy can win the award.

Why are they playing with a rookie QB and not the 19th highest played QB in the NFL. You know the big FA they brought in this season after missing out on Manning?

Rohirrim 12-29-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3765004)

As R8R H8R pointed out, Elway also got rid of Tebow. The choice of Elway was a no-brainer, which is why ESPN got it wrong.

TheChamp24 12-29-2012 03:35 PM

lol, the Colts are a fraud team who were lucky to win 10 games this year.

TonyR 12-29-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBroncos4life (Post 3765010)
Why are they playing with a rookie QB and not the 19th highest played QB in the NFL. You know the big FA they brought in this season after missing out on Manning?

May have something to do with the fact that Wilson is better than Flynn?

cousinal11 12-29-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheChamp24 (Post 3765015)
lol, the Colts are a fraud team who were lucky to win 10 games this year.

hopefully they win tomorrow

DBroncos4life 12-29-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyR (Post 3765017)
May have something to do with the fact that Wilson is better than Flynn?

So they signed a huge mega bust and still gets GM of the year? Would Elway be GM of the year if Manning didn't play and Os took yus to the playoffs?