The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Denver's defensive dominance (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109492)

TDmvp 12-27-2012 04:16 PM

Denver's defensive dominance

Broncos Defense During 10-Game Win Streak

Total opponent QBR: 13.1 (NFL rank -- 1st)
3rd-down conversion: 21.3 (NFL rank -- 1st)
Points per drive: 1.23 (NFL rank -- 1st)
Yards per play: 4.6 (NFL rank -- 2nd)
Opponent yards per drive: 22.1 2nd (NFL rank -- 2nd)

WOW ....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post...sive-dominance

baja 12-27-2012 04:28 PM

Quarter Back Ranking = 13.1 That can't be right ???

TDmvp 12-27-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3764100)

/shrug I'm not sure ... Now that half the time they give us QBR and half the time they'll say QB rating I never have a clue.

I'm guessing that's QBR since Espn came up with it and its so low.

RedskinBronco 12-27-2012 04:35 PM

we talkin' about defense!

good to see...

TDmvp 12-27-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedskinBronco (Post 3764103)
we talkin' about defense!

good to see...

No doubt ... For years every time the D was on the field I held my breath.
Now I actually get pumped up when the D is on the field cause I feel they will do something cool and I know we are going to get to see Von DANCE . Which is always a bonus.

RedskinBronco 12-27-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDmvp (Post 3764104)
Now I actually get pumped up when the D is on the field cause I feel they will do something cool and I know we are going to get to see Von DANCE . Which is always a bonus.

Nice not to cringe for a change :thumbsup:

KevinJames 12-27-2012 05:40 PM

I am not surprised at all

the defense pretty much carried Tebow last year, keeping the score down so that we can that option based offense.

so with a guy like Manning at the helm I knew they'd raise their play its much easier for the defense to play with a lead, Manning gives us that. :thumbsup:

BroncoMan4ever 12-27-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinJames (Post 3764140)
I am not surprised at all

the defense pretty much carried Tebow last year, keeping the score down so that we can that option based offense.

so with a guy like Manning at the helm I knew they'd raise their play its much easier for the defense to play with a lead, Manning gives us that. :thumbsup:

Also let's them play loose. The knowledge that they can take risks and make the occasional mistake without it being a catastrophe for the game because they know the offense can help them out.

Hamrob 12-27-2012 06:21 PM

Let's hope it plays that way in the playoffs....and doesn't turn out to be a "pretender"!

lonestar 12-27-2012 07:52 PM

Not to be a downer but we have allowed a lot of meaningless yards in some of the games. Both by air and by land also a few scores. Mostly in furious comeback attempts while playing what appears to be deep zone or prevent.

Now I have not looked up numbers but what was listed in the op seems better than one could hope for.

R8R H8R 12-27-2012 08:24 PM

Assuming the Broncos play the Pats in the playoffs, I'd say keeping them under 20 points would be all the domination we could ask for.

mhgaffney 12-27-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever (Post 3764144)
Also let's them play loose. The knowledge that they can take risks and make the occasional mistake without it being a catastrophe for the game because they know the offense can help them out.

Also -- Rahim is much better.

errand 12-27-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3764100)

Qb Rating is the stat that has been used for many years where 158.3 is considered perfect rating, and 0.0 absolutely sucks...ironically a QB that attempts 1 pass and has it fall incomplete can't get lower than 39.6....opposing QB's have a QB rating of 80.3 against us this season.

QBR is that newly formulated ESPN ranking system where 100 is perfect and 0.0 again sucks. 50 is considered average (Jay Cutler). Manning is sitting at 82.7 out of 100...which leads the league.

To put it into perspective as to how well our defense is playing Cardinals QB John Skelton is ranked 38th in QBR at 13.9

ZONA 12-27-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDmvp (Post 3764104)

And when they were on the field, it seemed they could never get off the damn field.

This year it's been wonderful to watch them.

ZONA 12-27-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonestar (Post 3764228)
Not to be a downer but we have allowed a lot of meaningless yards in some of the games. Both by air and by land also a few scores. Mostly in furious comeback attempts while playing what appears to be deep zone or prevent.

Now I have not looked up numbers but what was listed in the op seems better than one could hope for.

You're not being a downer. I've seen in many games where we had nice leads and Fox basically ran the ball almost every down to take the time off the clock. Of late, the past 4 or 5 games we've done a nice job with the run and the garbage yards by the other team hasn't been that bad but before that there were some cases were we got very conservative too early perhaps and some garbage yards piled up with quite a bit of game clock left.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN 12-27-2012 10:30 PM

where does this Denver defense rank among other Denver defenses in points scored from turn overs seems like ever week this Defense is scoring points also

lonestar 12-28-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 3764290)
You're not being a downer. I've seen in many games where we had nice leads and Fox basically ran the ball almost every down to take the time off the clock. Of late, the past 4 or 5 games we've done a nice job with the run and the garbage yards by the other team hasn't been that bad but before that there were some cases were we got very conservative too early perhaps and some garbage yards piled up with quite a bit of game clock left.

Thanks.

I know it has been better than before but I'd love to still see them go SEA on them and keep the pedal to the metal and give them something to fear more than they do already.

Hell even in the good old supper bowl days many games were won with last minute FGs. When we got a huge lead and relaxed knowing we could kick it back into gear if we had to.

uplink 12-28-2012 09:17 AM

Fox has really improved the defense these last few years, all those Tebow wins happened last year due to the defense keeping the scoring down.

Elway has really hit on all his big decisions so far: Coach, big free agent signings, top draft picks each year in Miller and Wolfe.

Requiem 12-28-2012 09:22 AM

The little known JDR Effect.

Jetmeck 12-28-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDmvp (Post 3764092)

WOW ....

Not ready to buy this just yet.............

If it continues against Playoff teams then its true , if not the numbers are inflated from playing crappy teams..............!

Popps 12-28-2012 01:59 PM

I can't believe we're sending two pass-rushers to the Pro Bowl. It's like a wet dream for me.

A couple of minor improvements and this defense could be absolutely scary. Hope we can squeeze 1-2 more good seasons out of Champ, though.

Quoydogs 12-28-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popps (Post 3764589)
I can't believe we're sending two pass-rushers to the Pro Bowl. It's like a wet dream for me.

A couple of minor improvements and this defense could be absolutely scary. Hope we can squeeze 1-2 more good seasons out of Champ, though.

He's still got a few years in the tank. He still hasn't moved to safety yet. I hope we win the Super Bowl for him more then anybody. What a class act. All the rough years he never complained just went in and did his job. There are not many like him left out there.

gunns 12-28-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDmvp (Post 3764092)

WOW ....

I'm absolutely in 7th heaven! I've dreamt about this for so long. Now it's a reality.

12-28-2012 03:19 PM

I'm not saying tebow was the reason we did as well as we did last year, but if I'm not mistaken we were 25th in scoring defense last season.

Mouth

12-28-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popps (Post 3764589)

Feels like 1986 all over again with Mecklenburg and Jones!