The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Do you consider the current Broncos an elite team? (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109489)

baja 12-27-2012 10:38 AM

Do you consider the current Broncos an elite team?

The phrase "elite team" is tossed around a lot this time of the year.

What makes a team "elite"

Elway 4 Life 12-27-2012 10:44 AM

Top 5 in offense and defense. I would have to say yes.

broncocalijohn 12-27-2012 10:45 AM

I said more than one season but in reality, Elite makes it to the Super Bowl. You cant have 5 Elite teams in the NFL. Our 96 team can be considered Elite based on it being tied to the two SUper Bowl teams.

NFLBRONCO 12-27-2012 10:50 AM

I said, no

Elite teams can win anywhere beat anyone. I do not feel we are at that level yet. I won't until we show we can beat best teams more often.

12-27-2012 10:56 AM

The transformation to an elite team is almost complete. The final test for elite teams are playoff performanceS. Not just one game in the playoffs.

Kaylore 12-27-2012 11:00 AM

I think they're elite. Even if we have a let down in the playoffs, we're elite, which I don't think is going to happen, BTW.

I also don't think this is 1996 Redux, because we played in two playoff games last year, winning one. In 96 we hadn't been to the playoffs in three years, and hadn't won one in five. So much of the team had turned over from even the previous year that we were inexperienced.

This team is largely intact except that we've added a HOF QB. We'll be ready for our playoff run.

Fedaykin 12-27-2012 11:03 AM

I think they're elite. Not necessarily the best, but certainly part of the elite few.

The only losses are to other elite teams (while all the other possibly elite teams have lost to non-elite teams), and they weren't blown out in any of those losses. Add in that those losses come off of a huge negative turnover ratio (including a very statistically improbable fumble loss rate) that has been rectified and I'm not worried about those losses.

Kaylore 12-27-2012 11:10 AM

The other thing is in most of our losses we just made stupid mistakes. Basically that the majority of our problems have been self-inflicted. That means we've been the only ones in our way. That's a good thing.

elsid13 12-27-2012 11:11 AM

Elite no, but good enough to win a Superbowl if everybody is on same page.

ZONA 12-27-2012 11:12 AM

Cmon baja, for real? We've won 10 straight, our record is 12-3 and we have a chance for the #1 seed this week and you're asking if we think the Broncos are an elite team. Seriously? This is even a question?

All you have is the here and now. Anybody who is talking about maybe not elite if we don't win the in the playoffs, nobody can predict. All we can go by is where are the Broncos right now. Right now, yes they are elite, if you don't think so you are a retard.

12-27-2012 11:12 AM

I don't think there is one truly elite team this year. Every team has shown weakness and vulnerability. This isn't the type of year where an elite team has the best shot to win. It's the type of year where the hottest team who's on a roll has the best shot.

broncocalijohn 12-27-2012 11:13 AM

For all of you calling this Broncos team Elite as of the 27th of December and no playoff games won but one (if you are counting last season) then you better call those San Diego Chargers team Elite. Afterall, they were 14-2 and dominated the AFC West for years.

baja 12-27-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 3763875)
Cmon baja, for real? We've won 10 straight, our record is 12-3 and we have a chance for the #1 seed this week and you're asking if we think the Broncos are an elite team. Seriously? This is even a question?

All you have is the here and now. Anybody who is talking about maybe not elite if we don't win the in the playoffs, nobody can predict. All we can go by is where are the Broncos right now. Right now, yes they are elite, if you don't think so you are a retard.

Check the poll results. You tell me.

The thing is the word "Elite" is like the word God it almost defies definition.

To some Elite means you have built a team that competes for a ring for several seasons for example Shanahan's 96 - 98 Broncos to others such as yourself it means a 12 win season.

ZONA 12-27-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO (Post 3763860)
I said, no

Elite teams can win anywhere beat anyone. I do not feel we are at that level yet. I won't until we show we can beat best teams more often.

Uh oh, watch out. If you say a Broncos player is the best or the team isn't the best, you will get gang raped by the Homerism crowd.

I respect your opinion but I don't think it's fair to say we have to wait and see what they will look like in a month. The question is, do you think they are Elite, not do you think they will be elite in a month. So, based on right now, this very day, you have to say yes. Even if you didn't like their early losses, you still have to say they are because of 10 straight wins, 12-3 record. For real, it's not even a lagit question. How many other fans on forums would be even asking the question is their team elite, if their team was 12-3 and had 10 wins in a row. They'd be laughed off their forums immediately.

ZONA 12-27-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baja (Post 3763879)
Check the poll results. You tell me.

The thing is the word "Elite" is like the word God it almost defies definition.

To some Elite means you have built a team that competes for a ring for several seasons for example Shanahan's 96 - 98 Broncos to others such as yourself it means a 12 win season.

Well maybe you should change your question structure. Be more specific. Because you're going to have the crowd who thinks they could be if we win the Superbowl. I was taking your question as are they elite right this very moment. Elite meaning, one of the best teams in the NFL. I mean, that's silly right. Of course they are, right now.

baja 12-27-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZONA (Post 3763883)
Well maybe you should change your question structure. Be more specific. Because you're going to have the crowd who thinks they could be if we win the Superbowl. I was taking your question as are they elite right this very moment. Elite meaning, one of the best teams in the NFL. I mean, that's silly right. Of course they are, right now.

I think the question is worded perfectly.

troyjbath 12-27-2012 11:28 AM

I think this team can compete with any team in the league right now. They're top 5 in just about every statistic that matters, but let's see what they can do in the playoffs before we start calling them "elite".

Taco John 12-27-2012 11:38 AM

You have to win something to be elite. Maybe even a couple of times.

I think we have the potential to be elite. But right now we're just a great team - not an elite one.

12-27-2012 11:48 AM

I don't think the giants are an elite team last year. Yet they won the SB. Playoff success are all about the hot team getting hot at the right time. Playing their best at the most important times. Someone mentioned SD 14-2 but tailing off in the playoffs. Green Bay is doing it right now. Wouldn't be surprised if they go to the SB

broncocalijohn 12-27-2012 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troyjbath (Post 3763888)
I think this team can compete with any team in the league right now. They're top 5 in just about every statistic that matters, but let's see what they can do in the playoffs before we start calling them "elite".

That is the thing. Two other teams in the playoffs and division winners beat us this season. Only way to get over that is to beat them or everyone else in the playoffs.

Drunken is correct. Giants showed themselves this season. Elite can't be a flash in the pan. In needs to show consistency.

Kaylore 12-27-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 3763893)
You have to win something to be elite. Maybe even a couple of times.

I think we have the potential to be elite. But right now we're just a great team - not an elite one.

You clearly have a different definition. I don't think he means "Elite in the anals of NFL history." He means elite out of the teams playing right now. The Steelers have won SB's a few times. But they aren't even in the playoffs this post season. Are they elite?

rbackfactory80 12-27-2012 12:10 PM

I have to say no. I no everyone will jump on this but my original argument against Peyton was him not playing as well in the post season as he does during the regular. I still am preparing for a major letdown, but hoping I am completely wrong. The one thing that makes me more of a believer is Peyton doesn't have to be perfect with how well our defense is playing. I hope he realizes that come playoff time.

I really want to buy into this team and think they are very good.

troyjbath 12-27-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broncocalijohn (Post 3763899)
That is the thing. Two other teams in the playoffs and division winners beat us this season. Only way to get over that is to beat them or everyone else in the playoffs.

Drunken is correct. Giants showed themselves this season. Elite can't be a flash in the pan. In needs to show consistency.

Exactly. The Broncos will have to avenge at least one of those losses in the playoffs. I hate when the sports media uses the term elite. Was the 16-0 Pats team elite? The term is too subjective and is used way too often by the folks in sports media.

SonOfLe-loLang 12-27-2012 12:13 PM

If elite is a group of people that are superior to others, then yes, a potentially 13-3 team that hasnt played a close game in like 10 weeks has to be considered elite.

R8R H8R 12-27-2012 12:14 PM

I was originally going to say that we were elite, but after reading some of the responses, I have re-defined elite and changed my stance. I say we are definately at "elite potential", but that is all.

I now say that if we win the SB AND steamroll thru next season much like the 98 team, then we can call ourselves elite. In the meantime, we should just be content on being "legitimate superbowl contenders".