The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community

The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/index.php)
-   Orange Mane Central Discussion (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Locking Up Del Rio (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109422)

TheElusiveKyleOrton 12-21-2012 07:20 AM

Locking Up Del Rio

Our defense is #2 in sacks and #2 against the run, which is nothing short of a remarkable turnaround considering where we were over the last several years. IMO, one of the most important components of this team is Del Rio coordinating the D.

He's also sure to be a head coaching candidate, and even though he had a pretty poor experience in Jacksonville, it would be tough for him to turn down the top job.

What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?

Paladin 12-21-2012 07:28 AM

Assistant Head Coach.....

Beantown Bronco 12-21-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton (Post 3759785)
What do you think the team needs to do to lock him up, at least for a couple more years?

Keep winning Super Bowls. Most teams need to fill their spots immediately and aren't willing to wait that long to fill that position. It's obviously not a guarantee that he'd remain "locked up", but it's as close as you can get to one. :)

Drek 12-21-2012 07:29 AM

Nothing. We can't offer him anything better than he's got already. If he wants to be a HC again he will.

Rohirrim 12-21-2012 07:30 AM

I don't think you really can lock up coaches anymore. They are always going to have that clause where they can move into a higher position around the league if it's offered to them. It would be nice to throw money at him, but it would be no guarantee.

Broncos_OTM 12-21-2012 07:32 AM

It would be dissappointing, strike while the irons hot. I have a gut feeling he'll be here a couple more years, provided we dont win the superbowl.

hades 12-21-2012 07:33 AM

Easy. We need compromising photos we can use against him. :pimp:

ScottXray 12-21-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Our defense is #2 in sacks and #2 against the run, which is nothing short of a remarkable turnaround considering where we were over the last several years. IMO, one of the most important components of this team is Del Rio coordinating the D.

He's also sure to be a head coaching candidate, and even though he had a pretty poor experience in Jacksonville, it would be tough for him to turn down the top job.

The only way to lock him up is to make him Head coach, and or pay him as much as anyone else would at HC with a CO HC title.

He has done a fantastic job for us , and I'd hate to see him leave. The 7th DC in 7 years! We seem unable to keep one , either due to failure, or success.

We have to hope that he has been soured on that type of job for a while and he is satisfied to be where he's at for now. It would be great if he thought that his best role is as a DC, on a team that has a good owner, coach and GM. A super bowl run or two under his belt would also give him even more leverage with other teams, should he want the HC gig.

Drek 12-21-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM (Post 3759800)
It would be dissappointing, strike while the irons hot. I have a gut feeling he'll be here a couple more years, provided we dont win the superbowl.

I think he will be too. Del Rio didn't sound overly anxious to get back to a head coaching gig when he came here last year. Jacksonville was a complete mess for him, but paid him more than enough to live comfortably on.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if he's promised to be John Fox's heir apparent if he sticks around. He's 8 years younger, and Fox is already 57 years old.

Kaylore 12-21-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco (Post 3759796)
Keep winning Super Bowls. Most teams need to fill their spots immediately and aren't willing to wait that long to fill that position. It's obviously not a guarantee that he'd remain "locked up", but it's as close as you can get to one. :)

Exactly. Most teams won't wait until February for a guy. The combine is just a few weeks away, they'll want their staff totally assembled before then. If we can find a way to keep winning and go deep, it reduces the liklihood of our coaches getting poached.

I think McCoy is gone and I think Del Rio stays. I think Del Rio likes his job. I think McCoy will be a very good head coach - better than a coordinator. He sounds like a head coach.

crush17 12-21-2012 07:44 AM

Fox has said this will be his last head coaching stop in the NFL. I would like to see them work out a deal with Del Rio where he's promised the HC gig once Fox decides to hang 'em up.

That way he can build into the process and keep a lot of continuity. It may seem a bit far fetched but I really feel as though that is an ideal scenario for everyone involved.

Ratboy 12-21-2012 07:46 AM

I don't see JDR taking off after one season. It would have to be one incredible offer, but I think he digs less responsibility as a DC.

bowtown 12-21-2012 07:47 AM

Pull the old Shanny, "Assistant Head Coach" move.

TheElusiveKyleOrton 12-21-2012 07:47 AM

I think the personnel Del Rio has here is also a consideration. It would likely take him quite a bit of time to put together a defense (let alone an offense) as good as what he has to work with in Denver.

elsid13 12-21-2012 07:55 AM

The NFL is business of change and he will stay or not. Let stop worrying about tomorrow and just focus on the season.

TheElusiveKyleOrton 12-21-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elsid13 (Post 3759820)
The NFL is business of change and he will stay or not. Let stop worrying about tomorrow and just focus on the season.

I'm sorry, I thought this was a discussion board.

That's my bad.

Archie 12-21-2012 08:01 AM

I think the promise of HC of the Future is not usually a good thing. Creates weird politics in the coaching ranks, players, etc... See Holmgren and Mora in Seattle a couple of years ago. That was a horrid disaster for that organization.

Best recommendation was ensure a super quality organization bent on winning a couple of super bowls and the hope that he wants to plant here for a bit and be a key part of that with a name your price option at the end of it. Or better yet he takes the Joe Collier approach and decides he wants to be a DC for the rest of his career.

Finally, what's to say that he would be a good HC here. He was not in Jacksonville. Lots of amazing coordinators or coaches who made really bad head coaches. Wade Phillips is a classic example as well as the aforementioned Collier.

BroncoInferno 12-21-2012 08:02 AM

A deep playoff run would would go a long way towards solidifying Del Rio as the DC in 2013. Assistants on teams that make a Super Bowl run have a hard time landing HC jobs because the teams that have vacancies don't want to wait around and risk losing out on other candidates.

EDIT: Beantown and Khan beat me to it.

TheReverend 12-21-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Disagree. People want something shiny and new with Harbaugh/MikeSmith boom potential. Not just a great coordinator with HC mediocrity ie: Wade Phillips/Mike Nolan.

baja 12-21-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crush17 (Post 3759813)
Fox has said this will be his last head coaching stop in the NFL. I would like to see them work out a deal with Del Rio where he's promised the HC gig once Fox decides to hang 'em up.

That way he can build into the process and keep a lot of continuity. It may seem a bit far fetched but I really feel as though that is an ideal scenario for everyone involved.

That's a very good idea. Worked with Kubes for years and Mike was way younger than Fox is now.

TheElusiveKyleOrton 12-21-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReverend (Post 3759830)
Disagree. People want something shiny and new with Harbaugh/MikeSmith boom potential. Not just a great coordinator with HC mediocrity ie: Wade Phillips/Mike Nolan.

True, but how many times has Wade been a HC?

mwill07 12-21-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaylore (Post 3759808)
Exactly. Most teams won't wait until February for a guy. The combine is just a few weeks away, they'll want their staff totally assembled before then. If we can find a way to keep winning and go deep, it reduces the liklihood of our coaches getting poached.

I think McCoy is gone and I think Del Rio stays. I think Del Rio likes his job. I think McCoy will be a very good head coach - better than a coordinator. He sounds like a head coach.

Aren't coordinators for teams that have a bye allowed to interview during that bye week?

Beantown Bronco 12-21-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwill07 (Post 3759852)
Aren't coordinators for teams that have a bye allowed to interview during that bye week?

Pretty sure the team would have to give permission.

NFLBRONCO 12-21-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratboy (Post 3759815)
I don't see JDR taking off after one season. It would have to be one incredible offer, but I think he digs less responsibility as a DC.

I bet you thought Allen would stay too. JDR is a alot better HC option then Allen was. I expect JDR to move on. If he stays I'll be thrilled.

HAT 12-21-2012 09:07 AM

JDR isn't going anywhere.....Until Pat Haden fires Kiffin next year, then he'll be a Trojan again.